• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast 2 Review Thread

Atolm

Meh, more trial & error gameplay, it seems. I'll pass this time. The first one was so dull with the pre-baked patrol routes, and you died so many times trying to figure the best route from A to B that it lost any sort of impact. I was best buddies with the fat and big guy by the end, it was a pity he died.

Alpha_eX

I really disliked the first one, so much text to read and displayed in the most boring and uniform style regardless of where and in what condition you found the note.

Hopefully this one is better, it had something going but feel it won't ever top Resi 7 now.

Szadek

Hard skip for me.
I'm so done with these minimal depths stealth horror games.
It's also another game that gives you no reason why you can't defend yourself.

Hard skip for me.
I'm so done with these minimal depths stealth horror games.
It's also another game that gives you no reason why you can't defend yourself.

No reason? Because you are a scared, plain cameraman?

Horror games without being able to defend yourself are the best, IMHO.

I honestly have no idea how the original seems so well regarded. It was so stupidly over the top, in the opening 2 minutes you're given a full on straight up view of a naked axe wielding psychopath but one that was so mishaped and lumpen the most terrifying thing about it was how bad the model design was. There's no subtlety, no horror, just endless tryhard jump scares, a terrible story, and boring one note gameplay. I gave up on it an hour or two in once i realized it was a one trick pony. 2 sounds like its just the same shit turned up to 11. Outlast is to horror games what The Conjuring series is to horror movies.Uninspired, jump scare laden, tripe.

ironmang

I'm glad to have played through the first game but like some others here I just don't want more hide and seek. Hope it sells well for them though.

Se_7_eN

There's no subtlety, no horror, just endless tryhard jump scares, a terrible story, and boring one note gameplay... Outlast is to horror games what The Conjuring series is to horror movies.Uninspired, jump scare laden, tripe.

This is very well said and describes my view perfectly, on both Outlast and James Wan horror... Although, I will most likely buy Outlast 2.

luca_29_bg

No reason? Because you are a scared, plain cameraman?

Horror games without being able to defend yourself are the best, IMHO.

Totally unrealistic, every human with two brain cells will defend and will try to counter attack in a similar situation. it's tied to the insticnt of survival. it's totally, absolutely, ridiculous and unrealistc. And boring, at least for me. Same for the first Outlast after some time in the game. Too bad, a missed opportunity for second time.

Totally unrealistic, every human with two brain cells will defend and will try to counter attack in a similar situation. it's tied to the insticnt of survival. it's totally, absolutely, ridiculous and unrealistc. And boring, at least for me. Same for the first Outlast after some time in the game. Too bad, a missed opportunity for second time.

After watching others play Outlast 2, I wish they would have made some defensive items that you could use. They are some QTEs where you can kick people off of you, but there needed to be some makeshift weapons that you could have used to defend yourself. There are some parts where he could have chocked people out by using stealth. It's a shame and a huge missed opportunity.

I honestly have no idea how the original seems so well regarded. It was so stupidly over the top, in the opening 2 minutes you're given a full on straight up view of a naked axe wielding psychopath but one that was so mishaped and lumpen the most terrifying thing about it was how bad the model design was. There's no subtlety, no horror, just endless tryhard jump scares, a terrible story, and boring one note gameplay. I gave up on it an hour or two in once i realized it was a one trick pony. 2 sounds like its just the same shit turned up to 11. Outlast is to horror games what The Conjuring series is to horror movies.Uninspired, jump scare laden, tripe.

I know it might be hard to grasp but the reasons you listed are some of the things horror fans absolutely love. I appreciate slow burning, deep, horror films. Ones that stand out with horror happening more in your mind then on screen. Yet I also appreciate the intensity and vision something like Outlast or those movies do. Its all preference and its fine not to enjoy stuff like it. Though is it really hard to understand why people lile this style? I dont think so.

MazeHaze

Banned
I know it might be hard to grasp but the reasons you listed are some of the things horror fans absolutely love. I appreciate slow burning, deep, horror films. Ones that stand out with horror happening more in your mind then on screen. Yet I also appreciate the intensity and vision something like Outlast or those movies do. Its all preference and its fine not to enjoy stuff like it. Though is it really hard to understand why people lile this style? I dont think so.
I feel this way too. Like you can enjoy great mexican food and also like taco bell. I love Jacob's Ladder but I also love Troma movies. If you don't like outlast thats fine, but getting pissed at it because it isn't doing things that it never was meant to do seems silly.

PooBone

This is a bummer. The first game had a lot of elements I liked. This looked like it could be a good next step. This is not the sort of horror I'm interested in playing. I want more narrative, more subtext. I'll probably get it one day on sale.

EDIT: For example, this is more Texas Chainsaw Massacre than Session 9.

This is a bummer. The first game had a lot of elements I liked. This looked like it could be a good next step. This is not the sort of horror I'm interested in playing. I want more narrative, more subtext. I'll probably get it one day on sale.

EDIT: For example, this is more Texas Chainsaw Massacre than Session 9.

Texas Chain Saw Massacre is an infinitely better movie than Session 9 so I'm game with that, homie.

Zakalwe

Banned
This is the kind of game that will always get divisive scores. I can fully understand why these kind of hide and seek style games would put a lot of people off.

I find the mechanic itself a bit of a chore to engage with, I played the original for a few hours and I did enjoy the horror and tension, but after a while I just got burnt out on it.

Still, I can appreciate when they do it well and I'll probably give these one a shot in future. Some of the higher scoring reviews seem to justify why they like it well enough to make me curious.

I wish they included a weapon of some sort. Like that collapsable baton that Jeremy Blaire carries in Outlast Whistleblower. Maybe you could whap the enemies with it and they run off.

rtcn63

I wish they included a weapon of some sort. Like that collapsable baton that Jeremy Blaire carries in Outlast Whistleblower. Maybe you could whap the enemies with it and they run off.

The end stretch should just have you wailing on enemies with the camera. It would kinda fit with the narrative.

Top Bottom