• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders |OT| So much content, is this a GaaS? No, just an anomaly.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am trickster, I take him like 3/4 health almost without an issue, but then he starts to spamming shit and it kills me even in cover.
destiny 2 was stupid hard at launch. They quickly patched them to be piss easy
i assume they will do the same here

Last edited:

geary

Strange issue here...The HDR option was available in the demo, bunt unavailable in the final game...Anyone have any idea about this?

Strange issue here...The HDR option was available in the demo, bunt unavailable in the final game...Anyone have any idea about this?
I think HDR is handled on the system level on Xbox. I've noticed in Destiny 2 there is no HDR option in the game on Xbox but it is there on PS5. If it is enabled on the system it should be enabled in the game.

Aion002

I played a little this morning and I ended up enjoying the game a lot more than the opening "chapter" in the demo.

The stages got a lot better and the skills are quite fun, I also love the effects some guns like the automatic shotgun has, overall it's turning out to be a fun game and I can't wait to play more in the weekend.

I will probably end up buying this game and the possible expansions!

WoodyStare

I’d be pretty pissed off if I purchased this on Xbox considering the server issues. Thankfully I only downloaded it from GamePass and didn’t think twice about deleting it. I’ll wait for them to fix the issues before bothering with it.

Arun1910

Good idea. I didn't enjoy it, but others seem to. I'd watch streams of the gameplay if you haven't to get a good idea what it's like.
I played the demo and got really bored with the stop start action in the first 30 minutes. It was just walk, cutscene, walk, shoot a little, walk, talk.

I'm hoping the game opens up afterwards.

Kagey K

Banned
That Gamepass deal must be working if the Xbox servers are being hammered so hard.

Nice job People Can Fly. Looks like you have a hit on your hands.

Now get those servers fixed before I get online later tonight. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Duallusion

What's up with this game's controller settings anyway? I can snipe the fuck out of anything in, say, Borderlands 3, but it's way too much a struggle here to line up shots sometimes and you can't fine tune shit. Proper controller settings ASAP, Squenix!

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes another triple-digit-hours timesink for me though. Fundamentals are there.

Playing on Gamepass. The game looks shit and feels super dated. The controls are awkward and don’t feel good at all.

The level design is laughable, just corridors of shoulder high cover. Makes the level design in Gears 1 seem futuristic in comparison.

But despite all that the game is actually really fun where it counts. Satisfying powers and frenetic combat.

Hmm it looks like the game does a bit of double saving, like it saves what you have on your character, but it also saves where you are in the story.

I just got kicked out after doing a sidemission and collected the reward, then logged back in and I collected another reward on top of the one I already had.

PC gamers remember Painkiller and the developer is free from Epic's bullshit, of course it does well. I'd buy it if I could afford it.
I feel like this is game is an antidote for a lot of bloat when it comes to AAA games. It is a straightforward TPS Diablo clone with a bit of a jank but fun skills, items, and weapons.

A lot of looter shooters just promise you the feeling of power, and then yank it away with nerfing everything to the ground, or sometimes don't bother to divide PVE and PVP balance (looking at you Destiny). At the end of the day all those games that promised power and epicness burned to the ground so badly. Which is a shame cause Destiny 1 had a lot of hype for me and then well... 90% of the story got cut. Destiny 2 ? kinda had a story but now they are vaulting things, and they try to do this MMO thing, but all it results in is a lot of bulletsponges.
Anthem was.... yeah Anthem
Division is just weird in terms of story telling and feels a bit lifeless even if it has a bit of future tech in it.

With this game, while it is a B-Tier Scifi story, with some outdated ways of thinking - maps not being truly open world, and loading screens out the wazoo. It is still a feature and plot / mechanic ready product. The guns work as they are described, the skills work as they are written on it. The loot is not stingy, it's just fun to play and while the streamers and hardcore enthusiast might rip it apart for being dated, the CO-OP is just pure fun.

Maybe Outriders 2 will be PS5 / Xbox Series X exclusive and they can go wild with an open world thing like Destiny / Anthem sized things, but I'm actually happy there is no bloat and I can just get to the meat of the action. It's a strong 8/10 to for me even with the dated mechanics.

Philfrag

Banned
I managed to play a bit. I was following a guy. Then I got disconnected? I couldn’t reconnect for awhile. Then when I managed to get in I was asked to do some target practice. I shot holograms. Then some guy asked me to go somewhere and do some shit. Then I was like ‘why am I playing this?’ and requested a refund.

No The game is basically a MMO. It’s online only.
After playing it, I don't really think it's either. There's no monetization of anything, and your group of three players at most never sees any other players. Earlier the multiplayer servers were down, but I could still play the game solo, so apparently they're separate. Outside of an online requirement, there's nothing remotely GaaS about this game. It's a fully formed product, that isn't being sold in pieces, and doesn't include any type of microtransactions.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I feel like this is game is an antidote for a lot of bloat when it comes to AAA games. It is a straightforward TPS Diablo clone with a bit of a jank but fun skills, items, and weapons.

A lot of looter shooters just promise you the feeling of power, and then yank it away with nerfing everything to the ground, or sometimes don't bother to divide PVE and PVP balance (looking at you Destiny). At the end of the day all those games that promised power and epicness burned to the ground so badly. Which is a shame cause Destiny 1 had a lot of hype for me and then well... 90% of the story got cut. Destiny 2 ? kinda had a story but now they are vaulting things, and they try to do this MMO thing, but all it results in is a lot of bulletsponges.
Anthem was.... yeah Anthem
Division is just weird in terms of story telling and feels a bit lifeless even if it has a bit of future tech in it.

With this game, while it is a B-Tier Scifi story, with some outdated ways of thinking - maps not being truly open world, and loading screens out the wazoo. It is still a feature and plot / mechanic ready product. The guns work as they are described, the skills work as they are written on it. The loot is not stingy, it's just fun to play and while the streamers and hardcore enthusiast might rip it apart for being dated, the CO-OP is just pure fun.

Maybe Outriders 2 will be PS5 / Xbox Series X exclusive and they can go wild with an open world thing like Destiny / Anthem sized things, but I'm actually happy there is no bloat and I can just get to the meat of the action. It's a strong 8/10 to for me even with the dated mechanics.
If this game does well, you can be sure that SQENIX will open up the purse strings for the sequel.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
It isn't GaaS ffs.
It isn't an MMO ffs.

It's a looter/shooter with 1-3 players.

If you really must compare it to something then compare it to Borderlands. Oh hey imagine that, Borderlands isn't GaaS or an MMO either. What a coincidence.

sainraja

I prefer Xbox Series X/S Smart Delivery to PS5 Stupid delivery.
Um, we're talking about disc installs here and the issue he was describing apparently isn't the case. I just tried it.
You can but there’s no fucking reason why the system should recognize a retail PS5 disc as a locked PS4 digital copy.
SO....I also picked up a copy of Outriders on the PS5 and installed it. It's not recognized as a PS4 digital copy. Is it a PS5 copy that you got? Or did you get a PS4 copy and upgraded it to PS5? With a disc install, you can't really switch to a different version either.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Um, we're talking about disc installs here and the issue he was describing apparently isn't the case. I just tried it.

SO....I also picked up a copy of Outriders on the PS5 and installed it. It's not recognized as a PS4 digital copy. Is it a PS5 copy that you got? Or did you get a PS4 copy and upgraded it to PS5? With a disc install, you can't really switch to a different version either.
DaCUZex.jpg

There is no excuse for putting that in a PS5 and it showing up as a PS4 game with the lock icon next to it and having to navigate to the "..." and select the PS5 version to install it.

Last edited:

sainraja

DaCUZex.jpg

There is no excuse for putting that in a PS5 and it showing up as a PS4 game with the lock icon next to it and having to navigate to the "..." and select the PS5 version to install it.
Lol, I am not sure which part you are having trouble with. I just went through the install and it's fine for me. With disc installs you don't get the option to switch versions so how are you even checking it is locked?

EDIT

Locked to the PS4 version that is. And I am still not clear on what you mean by locked.

Last edited:

sainraja

DaCUZex.jpg

And you are showing me a picture of the game case. That doesn't show me or tell me anything. How are you checking what version it is?

ManaByte

Lol, I am not sure which part you are having trouble with. I just went through the install and it's fine for me. With disc installs you don't get the option to switch versions so how are you even checking it is locked?

EDIT

Locked to the PS4 version that is. And I am still not clear on what you mean by locked.

When you put the disc fresh into the system, it detects it as the PS4 digital Outriders:
CLxFTMC.jpg

You have to navigate to the "..." to select the PS5 Full version to install it:
WzaKDhm.jpg

Then it's recognized normally:
k2xQ1K9.jpg

There's no amount of system warrior spinning to explain away how a PS5 sees a PS5 retail disc as a PS4 game.

Top Bottom