• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 21:9 support has arrived*!!!!!111!!1!11!!

Where did they say "we don't want to support 21:9"?

I would say that this implementation is their way of telling us they dont want to support 21:9 :p

As a 21:9 monitor owner, I'd sooner play in 16:9 pillarboxed than with a cropped 21:9 resolution. What they've done is pretty much an insult to anyone asking for 21:9 support. Just say "no" and leave it at that.

nynt9

I would say that this implementation is their way of telling us they dont want to support 21:9 :p

As a 21:9 monitor owner, I'd sooner play in 16:9 pillarboxed than with a cropped 21:9 resolution. What they've done is pretty much an insult to anyone asking for 21:9 support. Just say "no" and leave it at that.

I agree, this isn't a solution to the problem, it's just a flat out downgrade.

Engell

Don't remember having such a silly discussion going from 4:3 to 16:9 (essentially the same upgrade)
and what about 16:10? no one called them out for having a higher vertical FOV.

and what about VR? not that i think anyone would play with that competitively, but it could be fun to play with in overwatch for giggles
why don't they just crop in 21:9 to 16:9 in ranked play and only use 16:9 at competitions if it is such a big worry/problem.
(or crop in everyone to the lowest aspect of any player joining the ranked match, the same with resolution, its unfair that others have higher resolution on their monitor, 800x600 FTW)

LiK

The excuse about fairness is laughable considering the game fully supports headphones with virtual Dolby Atmos and has amazing sound engineering. THAT is a huge gameplay advantage right there. :)

I use full surround set up instead of using headphones. Advantage: me. Hohoho

nynt9

Don't remember having such a silly discussion going from 4:3 to 16:9 (essentially the same upgrade)

and what about VR? not that i think anyone would play with that competitively, but it could be fun to play with in overwatch for giggles
why don't they just crop in 21:9 to 16:9 in ranked play and only use 16:9 at competitions if it is such a big worry/problem.
(or crop in everyone to the lowest aspect of any player joining the ranked match, the same with resolution, its unfair that others have higher resolution on their monitor, 800x600 FTW)

In fact 4:3 -> 16:9 is a larger upgrade than 16:9 -> 21:9. The former is a 33.3% upgrade whereas the latter is a 31.2% upgrade.

jotun?

Back in the days of Quake and Tribes, people could set FOV to whatever they wanted, so aspect ratio didn't matter. You couldn't call "unfair" on someone using a wider or taller FOV because you could get the same thing by just setting yours higher too.

If Overwatch didn't limit FOV, this wouldn't be an issue.

Back in the days of Quake and Tribes, people could set FOV to whatever they wanted, so aspect ratio didn't matter. You couldn't call "unfair" on someone using a wider or taller FOV because you could get the same thing by just setting yours higher too.

If Overwatch didn't limit FOV, this wouldn't be an issue.

If a setting is all people want then change the setting to 16:9 with black bars, that's how I have it on my 16:10.

I don't get why defenders of this think the 21:9 users want this just because they paid more for a monitor. It has nothing to do with price. It has everything to do with maxing out their equipment. A small, small minority of Ultrawide users believe they deserve this QoL improvement because money the overwhelming majority want it to take full advantage of their setup. Just as folks who purchased a good GPU. 980ti users don't ask for uncapped fps because of monies, its because their system can handle it. Which is how the PC environment has evolved since forever.

I play Overwatch and CS:GO on a 21:9, 34" Ultrawide monitor. I am absolutely awful at both and no amount of resolution can help me. I don't ask for true 21:9 because I paid more for the monitor I needed because I couldn't really fit a 2 monitor setup. I ask because it would make my gaming experience better (better does not equal advantageous in this example) When you get killed as often as I do, I need to get SOMETHING out of the experience. ;p

WadeitOut

So many people are still completely whiffing on the entire reason why this is horsepuckey. If you don't want people to use 21:9 because you think they have an advantage, fine. That doesn't change the fact that Blizzard after months of requests said they would support it in late July to only end up doing virtually nothing except force zooming which then puts the 21:9 player at a disadvantage because the screen is cropped. Like most TVs if I wanted to do that I can just select Zoom in my monitor settings if I hate myself that much.

So many people are still completely whiffing on the entire reason why this is horsepuckey. If you don't want people to use 21:9 because you think they have an advantage, fine. That doesn't change the fact that Blizzard after months of requests said they would support it in late July to only end up doing virtually nothing except force zooming which then puts the 21:9 player at a disadvantage because the screen is cropped. Like most TVs if I wanted to do that I can just select Zoom in my monitor settings if I hate myself that much.

That's a shame, but as I understand it people with 21:9 are not really any worse off than they were a few months ago. So what's the solution now other than giving that advantage to 21:9 users? If you want the black bars, you can just switch to 16:9 right?

Why not just adapt the FoV so you can choose wide vs tall?

You can play at 16:9 aspect ratio on a 21:9 monitor, so why not give the option of 21:9 aspect ratio on 16:9 monitors, with letterboxing? Then there is no advantage to either shape monitor owner

16:9 players shouldn't have to letterbox to be as competitive as possible

WadeitOut

That's a shame, but as I understand it people with 21:9 are not really any worse off than they were a few months ago. So what's the solution now other than giving that advantage to 21:9 users? If you want the black bars, you can just switch to 16:9 right?

Okay. But until Blizzard develops a time machine to go back and not tell us 21:9 support is coming, it's still garbage. If they would have just said from the get go "No, it gives you an unfair advantage" this mild shitstorm would have never happened. People like myself would have never double dipped on the game for PC.

Trace

Banned
Really this all stems from their decision to lock the horizontal FoV. If they had a higher cap we wouldn't be having this issue.

There are more 16:9 and 16:10 players so we will be unfair to 21:9 players. Well I was considering getting this during a sale but not happening now.

I still don't see why they can't simply offer a fixed diagonal FoV.

horizontal view is more important than vertical because enemies come from the sides way more often than they come from the top/bottom

even in games with lots of vertical combat, this tends to be the case for most of the maps

maybe it could be done by using a formula that weights horizontal & vertical differently. what would 21:9 look like if horizontal was treated as twice as precious as vertical?

horizontal view is more important than vertical because enemies come from the sides way more often than they come from the top/bottom

even in games with lots of vertical combat, this tends to be the case for most of the maps

maybe it could be done by using a formula that weights horizontal & vertical differently. what would 21:9 look like if horizontal was treated as twice as precious as vertical?

But this game has Genji, Hanzo, Mercy, Pharah, Reaper, Widowmaker, Winston, Lucio, and D.Va. It is built with verticality in mind. Enemies that come from the sides I can already hear because of my surround sound. Being able to see them five seconds after I already hear exactly who is coming and where they are coming from is not really that much more advantageous. But not being able to see characters that are ranged and off screen when the game is supposed to be designed to let me see them is inherently much more disadvantageous.

Top Bottom