• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Beta Thread: Cheers Love, The Beta's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it makes you feel better, yaoi fans are already shipping Reaper76.

tumblr_o6ze2kuYJ41slcxz3o1_r1_500.jpg

That looks like more of an excuse to riff on that Hark! A Vagrant piece, tbh.

It's pretty great.

so first digital title i've bought from blizz since theyre the onlyone left that put actual effort into their boxes(dunno 'bout overwatch), but does bnet have actual preloading? I played the beta, think that matters at all?

Mugenjin

so first digital title i've bought from blizz since theyre the onlyone left that put actual effort into their boxes(dunno 'bout overwatch), but does bnet have actual preloading? I played the beta, think that matters at all?

On release the beta client is supposed to be patched to the release version. The game is quite small anyway (like 6 Gb).

Looking at how people like the characters and the story this game not having a campaign is a huge misstep and a shame. Also I find it weird that people are not complaining about the lack of content in this game. SFV got hammered for it while the gameplay was fantastic.

Bracing myself :p

SFV got hammered for multiple reasons beyond the shallow "where's arcade mode" complaints. Capcom themselves admitted the game was rushed out of the door... and it shows in the hardly recognizable Bengus art, bad clipping, abandoned stage interaction, etc....

Overwatch on the other hand feels very polished. They've chosen to tell the story outside of the game via animated shorts... and those are also practically on Pixar quality animation. They've also obviously spent a ton of time and didn't rush anything if you watch the Gamespot dev series.

Rize_21

Overwatch |OT| It's High Noon
Overwatch |OT| Ryuu Ga Waga Teki Go Fuck Yourself
Overwatch |OT| We'd recommend you try countering Bastion as Hanzo, Genji, or Widowmaker.
Overwatch |OT| What's SFM?
Those titles are too good, but yeah, I'd say the third one is the best, it'll save a lot of posts!

Palmer_v1

Overwatch |OT| We'd recommend you try countering Bastion as Hanzo, Genji, or Widowmaker.

If we're lucky, it will cut down on the shitposting.

Asd202

SFV got hammered for multiple reasons beyond the shallow "where's arcade mode" complaints. Capcom themselves admitted the game was rushed out of the door... and it shows in the hardly recognizable Bengus art, bad clipping, abandoned stage interaction, etc....

Overwatch on the other hand feels very polished. They've chosen to tell the story outside of the game via animated shorts... and those are also practically on Pixar quality animation. They've also obviously spent a ton of time and didn't rush anything if you watch the Gamespot dev series.

But at it's core SFV is very polished fighter nobody can deny that. While that game suffer from lack of modes at least it has some kind of story (with story mode coming in June) while Overwatch doesn't have it in game at all. I think SFV got hammered too much while people are much more lenient on Overwatch because it's Blizzard not Capcom but hey maybe that's just me.

Whales

Banned
But at it's core SFV is very polished fighter nobody can deny that. While that game suffer from lack of modes at least it has some kind of story (with story mode coming in June) while Overwatch doesn't have it in game at all. I think SFV got hammered too much while people are much more lenient on Overwatch because it's Blizzard not Capcom but hey maybe that's just me.

The game is also just 40$ on PC , not full price like SFV was ( i'd assume they'll put the regular edition up on consoles after the game releases.. scummy but whatever)

SFV at launch was also unplayable for near a week! And it had no mode to play... So people bought the game and couldn't even play anything except go in training mode

DrArchon

If Overwatch comes out and the online play is as fucked up as SFV's was at launch then I'm sure people will be raging at Blizzard the same as they were at Capcom. It's not like people were very forgiving when Diablo 3 launched.

Boogdud

If Overwatch comes out and the online play is as fucked up as SFV's was at launch then I'm sure people will be raging at Blizzard the same as they were at Capcom. It's not like people were very forgiving when Diablo 3 launched.

But that was because nobody wanted D3 (nor did it need to be) online only. Hard to have a multiplayer-only shooter without online.

Mupod

After how stable the Open Beta was I feel like there's little chance of the release being another Diablo 3.

I actually took the lack of server issues as an indication that the open beta wasn't meeting their expectations. Obviously not the case...

Toxi

Banned
Question from someone who barely played the beta to those who spent a lot more time on it... I don't want to be a load on my teams, but I want to play with characters I enjoy most.

So far it looks like the ones I will enjoy most are

• Pharah (Rockets! Also jetpack!)
  • Reaper (Shotguns!)
  • Roadhog (Fat shotgun!)
  • Mercy (TF2 style Medic is always easy and fun)

Can these characters function well in a variety of situations? Or should I try learning someone else for a situation these characters are deficient at?

In my FPS experience, I suck at aiming head shots, but I'm decent at leading rockets and tend to do decent at positioning.

DrArchon

But that was because nobody wanted D3 (nor did it need to be) online only. Hard to have a multiplayer-only shooter without online.

I think people would've been more forgiving about Diablo 3's online requirements if they game wasn't unplayable at launch. If the servers weren't completely fucked beyond recognition for that extended period of time, I think people would've been a lot more OK with Diablo being always online.

After how stable the Open Beta was I feel like there's little chance of the release being another Diablo 3.

I actually took the lack of server issues as an indication that the open beta wasn't meeting their expectations. Obviously not the case...

After d3 and several wonky hearthstone launch days, I think blizzard has learned their lesson. Plus they did just have the stress test weekend, which probably gave them a good idea on how to handle a larger launch.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Overwatch |OT| ;)
Overwatch |OT| Winkyface
Overwatch |OT| It's High Noon Somewhere
Overwatch |OT| Make aMEIrica Great Again
Overwatch |OT| Heroes Never Die
Overwatch |OT| Heroes Never Die... For A Price
Overwatch |OT| Press Q To Win
Overwatch |OT| When's The Animation Out?
Overwatch |OT| A Battle Has Been Born

There are endless possibilities.

P5wwrqa.jpg

Sure, Capcom put out a fighting game with a very clear direction removing option selects, etc and they managed to launch a game that wasn't broken mechanically. Of course they didn't have their servers ready for launch and had a 1 man team working on the netcode- which still has issues in many parts of the world right now. Also PC version still doesn't support D-input... kind of an important feature. That's on top of the wacom crash bug for PC, the fact they're months late on the Zenny shop... the game is kind of a mess.

SFV is mostly in the state that it's in because they forced the Esports aspect. They didn't want to hold up this year's CPT... so the game has sold poorly and missed the boat to pick up a more mainstream audience. Blizzard on the other hand took the smart approach knowing that an Esports following will just naturally spring up around your game if it's popular enough.

Capcom made very dumb choices in how they released SFV- Blizzard has made very smart choices. That's why SFV will continue to struggle and be a niche FGC only title... and Overwatch will be one of the most successful games this year. This is coming from someone who's last Blizzard game was Lost Vikings on SNES.... I have no attachment to them as a developer- but it's easy to spot that Overwatch is a much superior product.

Magnus

This is the clear winner:

Also, what IS SFM? I've been seeing it on the forum a lot lately, lol. "so fucking metal?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom