• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch: Doomfist unveiled (Melee-heavy Offense hero)

Fair enough. From the PTR footage I'm not seeing too much defensive potential from Doomfist though; on the contrary, he looks like fast and strong offense to the core. Not necessarily a bad thing by any means, but I really want more defensive options characterwise (esp. something in the vain of Bastion or Junkrat), and Doomfist seemed like a solid fit for that role before he was revealed. Guess we'll just have to keep waiting.
Hammond maybe? Lol

I would argue that sombra and reaper lean more defensive than offensive.

Sombra works best when she is managing health packs, and reaper is worthless as a flanker and is better at intimidating tanks from over extending.

All the lore stuff has told me so far is that Winston:

Is OP as fuck when he's mad
Can't read a goddamn piece of paper
Wears glasses he doesn't even need because his human dad wore them
Human dad got iced
He loves the moon

sjay1994

Human dad got iced
He loves the moon

You forgot his crippling addiction to peanut butter.

sjay1994

God let people learn how to counter him before complaining IMMEDIATELY about the character's strengths. The biggest problem in modern gaming is the knee jerk stupidity in the communities.

Learn how to counter him. Hell 95% of the people complaining probably hasn't even touched him in a real game scenario yet.

Mhm.

It's like when Sombra was revealed. Everyone was saying "oh man... she's going to be OP" but when she was released everyone said she was underpowered.

Defenders are now overdue for a new hero.

Im struggling to think of any ideas for operators that would be as unique as the originals like Mei, Phara, Zen, etc.

Obviously, theres only so much that can be done. How samey is Doomfist to other abilities in the game?

CONCH0BAR

Human dad got iced
He loves the moon

Doesn't Winston need them? Didn't his cinematic show that he has poor vision without them?

Im struggling to think of any ideas for operators that would be as unique as the originals like Mei, Phara, Zen, etc.

Obviously, theres only so much that can be done. How samey is Doomfist to other abilities in the game?

The closest thing is Genji but they're so different so it's a useless comparison.

Well. Several characters have dash/charge attacks, but the closest is probably his slam attack seeming a little like winstons jump with the landing damage.

NimbusD

Super fun to play, right now seems way overpowered though, squishies can get one shot into a wall right? or killed with one right click and one left click. Of which there's no real drawback for missing, plus you can cancel charge or hold it to aim it properly. It's like a monster version of reins charge with the mobility to get away if you fuck up.

Though I'll say itll be much easier to see where he really is when I can go onto a point on koth and not immediately get bounced around by 5 right clicks and uppercuts.

Mhm.

It's like when Sombra was revealed. Everyone was saying "oh man... she's going to be OP" but when she was released everyone said she was underpowered.
Really? I remember on PTR the general word of mouth was, 'Sombra's gun is garbage and she is too hard to play'. They even had to buff her later on. Doomfist is on PTR now and just owning squishes. I don't mind because we need Genji/Tracer killers though.

Blues1990

They need to buff the existing Defense heroes before they go adding new ones.

Two Words

I would argue that sombra and reaper lean more defensive than offensive.

Sombra works best when she is managing health packs, and reaper is worthless as a flanker and is better at intimidating tanks from over extending.
Reaper is a great flanker. He can easily get past a ton of choke points and lay someone down. The trick is to always have an exit strategy with wraith form.

I played Sombra today on the PTR just for variety's sake and she essentially shuts down Doomfist completely. Hack him and he has nothing except his shotgun fist because all of his core attacks are cooldown abilities, and he's a giant target with no mobility during that time that is super easy to take down with her SMG.

kurahador

I played Sombra today on the PTR just for variety's sake and she essentially shuts down Doomfist completely. Hack him and he has nothing except his shotgun fist because all of his core attacks are cooldown abilities, and he's a giant target with no mobility during that time that is super easy to take down with her SMG.

tenor.gif

Good.

I think it's pretty mixed. If she stealths and hacks she's fine. If he sees you at all you're dead almost immediately.

Lijik

Bastion is the only character I cant get a bead on how to handle as Doomfist at all, you get torn to shreds before youre even close. It probably doesnt matter as much in a proper match, but in a no limits match on PTR where almost everyone is playing as Doomfist every time a team adds in a Bastion it becomes so one sided

MKIL65

I can imagine that. You will have to maneuver really well to avoid the hack.

Blues1990

What are the chances Doomfist gets a dance emote that isn't tied to an event like the others?

The Dance Emotes are specifically tied to the Anniversary event, so it's fair to say that he won't get his until next year.

With that said, they'll definitely have a lot of fun with creating a dance emote for him.

D3VI0US

I'm still really upset I didn't get this dance emote. Instead I get 7 Zarya Cyber skins over and over again.

Then you got enough gold from the duplicates to buy the dance.

Super stoked to play Doomfist but I play on Xbox, just excited about a melee champ with mobility. Just worry that his abilities will combo like Reinhardt's and his passive won't shield enough while everything is on cooldown.

So who's 26? The other escaped monkey from the moon?

Zomba13

He looks pretty out of place compared to the other Talon weirdos
tumblr_inline_osoj0zrTIx1qz96id_540.png

fit's in fine as a weirdo, it's just weird that he's super serious, actually serious, when you have Team Rocket behind him blasting off again.

Sombra is Meowth, obviously.

MartyStu

Bastion is the only character I cant get a bead on how to handle as Doomfist at all, you get torn to shreds before youre even close. It probably doesnt matter as much in a proper match, but in a no limits match on PTR where almost everyone is playing as Doomfist every time a team adds in a Bastion it becomes so one sided

Pharah should do well in theory.

A good defense hero is probably someone that slows movement with an AoE aura. Similar to Mei's ult, but it doesn't completely freeze you in place. This would completely shit on the dive meta and make Tracer a non-factor.

CSJ

Really satisfying character to play with different combo's of abilities you can use for different situations.

What I don't like is his left click, you can actually be at a point where you can't attack someone because you have no abilities and have used up your 4 gun "charges" so keep waiting for the energy to charge up.
I hope they change that a little, is it any different from reloading? A little, but I don't think any character should ever be in a position to have no fight mechanic in those instances where a few seconds matter.

Also on PTR I seem to be getting 1 shot a lot on this character, I don't know if it's some terrible bug, lag or playback issue but I'm getting a lot of solo McCree's headshotting me to death in 1 hit. :what:. Even the playback shows them just pop around a corner and bam, poof, dead!.

Never had that happen before since release.

Deft Beck

Doomfist seems fun but every PTR match starts with someone instantly picking and locking him and then proceeding to die ten times in two minutes without switching.

Top Bottom