• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch: Doomfist unveiled (Melee-heavy Offense hero)

LQX

Wow, he is pretty awesome. Sagat players are going love him.
Sagat-hightig34.gif

... Speaking of which, Doomfist is the only character on the site with a 3D model for their icon; everyone else's is hand-drawn. Did we have to wait for Sombra/Orisa to get hand-drawn icons?
It's a small thing, but the variety in drawing styles for the portraits has always bugged the shit out of me.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
This guy is too much fun. Booted up PTR and I can't wait do this to hit PS4 so I can play genjis vs doomfists

Maximo

A Nigerian FINALLY becomes a playable character in a video game, but he's a villain :( #Bittersweet

Dude has been teased and known he was going to be Nigerian/villain since the release of overwatch I mean months ago was the time to be disappointed, I think hes badass.

I didn't play for a few weeks thanks to Persona... What happened? Did he get nerfed? When I stopped playing he was still the most used tank next to Winston.

Partially because of Winston getting his barrier getting a buff - it's been a bit crummy since they nerfed it heavily back when hero stacking was still a thing and you had to worry about multiple Winston barriers being deployed. Partially because people are finally realising that Sombra is actually good if you have the ability to talk to your team.Partially because Reaper got buffed and can actually kill tanks now. Partially because Hog got nerfed through to floor by neutering his bullshit free OHKO every few seconds.

As a result of those the dive meta has come back in, so you see a lot of D.Va, Winston, Tracer and Mercy/Zen but also a mix of Reaper, Sombra, Pharah, Lucio, Genji, McCree, Soldier, Ana, Junkrat and offbeat picks on defence like Sym, Mei, Torb. It's mostly just Zarya, Hog, Rein that has suffered badly as a result of people now being more focused on coordinated heavy attacks rather than both teams standing behind a rectangle and waiting for either to break before Hog gets a free kill.

kirblar

Partially because of Winston getting his barrier getting a buff - it's been a bit crummy since they nerfed it heavily back when hero stacking was still a thing and you had to worry about multiple Winston barriers being deployed. Partially because people are finally realising that Sombra is actually good if you have the ability to talk to your team.Partially because Reaper got buffed and can actually kill tanks now. Partially because Hog got nerfed through to floor by neutering his bullshit free OHKO every few seconds.

As a result of those the dive meta has come back in, so you see a lot of D.Va, Winston, Tracer and Mercy/Zen but also a mix of Reaper, Sombra, Pharah, Lucio, Genji, McCree, Soldier, Ana, Junkrat and a few offbeat picks on defence to throw off attacks. It's mostly just Zarya, Hog, Rein that has suffered badly as a result of people now being more focused on coordinated heavy attacks rather than both teams standing behind a rectangle and waiting for either to break before Hog gets a free kill.
They likely need to tone down Winstona bit I think- the question is how, because his changes made him a lot more fun to play.

I think one place to start would be to make his post-Ult HP his current HP +500 instead of his current reset to 1K, which is kinda crazy.

yrba1

Ok, that animation was dope. I always wanted more in-engine Overwatch shorts, but I'm hoping we get more animated ones!

... Speaking of which, Doomfist is the only character on the site with a 3D model for their icon; everyone else's is hand-drawn. Did we have to wait for Sombra/Orisa to get hand-drawn icons?

6RLnaVegE3EcRBcCFuaPgSpRZkhvA.jpg

Probably a placeholder until live or later PTR. Looks like Blizzard's gonna need a lot of time to iron out Doomfist from a balance standpoint. That ult activation is broken at the moment if it means disappearing offmap and nullifying a Tracer bomb.

Honestly would've been disappointed if Terry Crews was Doomfist's VA, he's too goofy for a gritty villain/anti-hero. Hope he still has a place but I'll be happy seeing new VAs jumpstart their careers. Always nice to hear fresh voices well-executed.

LiK

I'm not sure I can listen to a Terry Crews yelling for an entire match. The current VO they picked is great.

David___

Banned
The Doomfist cooldowns seem... ill-advised.

Also Meteor Strike is kind of hilarious in how forgiving it is.

The cooldowns seem fine if they're going for a melee hero.

Compared to Reinheardt and Genji, Doomfist doesn have a large melee hitbox that can hit behind you, a shield, or double jump/reliable projectile

I'm not sure I can listen to a Terry Crews yelling for an entire match. The current VO they picked is great.
METEOR STRIKE METEOR STRIKE METEOR STRIKE

Played him in PTR.

They put a fighting game character and I dig it. A lot. Think imma play again just for him and dragon punch some fools. All his abilities just sync so well together.

David___

Banned
Played him in PTR.

They put a fighting game character and I dig it. A lot. Think imma play again just for him and dragon punch some fools.

I hope Blizzard releases a arcade mode where they change the camera so its like a 2D fighter where its Doomfist vs Doomfist

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, there is no one hero that is counterable by every hero. If you want Doomfist's rocket punch nerfed so that Reinhardt can hit him with his hammer then we need to nerf Tracer's warp for the same reason. From what I've seen soldier, pharah, hog, mccree, and genji, reaper, bastion, sombra, and tracer still work well on him. Junkrat's traps also work really well. I also think he's going to be a good way to charge Zarya bubbles. Just remember that some people here said Sombra was OP when she first came out. Less than a month later no one wanted her on a team. Let's wait and see how this character works out.

Played him in PTR.

They put a fighting game character and I dig it. A lot. Think imma play again just for him and dragon punch some fools. All his abilities just sync so well together.

Same here. I'm hoping they eventually add a grappler style character. I'd like to see the Zangief of Overwatch.

Ok, that animation was dope. I always wanted more in-engine Overwatch shorts, but I'm hoping we get more animated ones!

6RLnaVegE3EcRBcCFuaPgSpRZkhvA.jpg

?

He has a hand-drawn icon.

H53ahUg.jpg

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
He does kinda feel like a mobile fast cool down prenerf roadhog. It's extremely easy to hit rocket punches at close range.

How is soldier, genji, tracer, and the like supposed to handle a roadhog that can out mobilize them with ease?

He looks really fun but that VO was already annoying from the short clip I saw

AHHHH

ARRRRRH

GAAAAAAH

Funny how the guy named "Doomfist" is seeming like the most vanilla characterwise

On the plus side he's the first to actually seem like a superhero vs. a person with guns and abilities

Never played OW. Probably never will. But damn, that was badass, and it almost makes me want to play. I do enjoy keeping up with OW stuff though :D

Blizzard

Banned
How could he possibly hurt Tracer much unless you get really lucky with a knockup, or the ground knock stuns for a long time? The movie was clearly false advertising. :p

Pantheon ult seems sort of ordinary but will probably be nice with other big AOE ults.

Nimby

Banned
The conversation where Tracer jokes to Winston about her chronal accelerator malfunctioning is talking about the animation right.

ASaiyan

Banned
^Which characters sit in which role don't mean anything in Overwatch more than making it easier for new players to understand the play styles of the many characters.

Certainly characters like Sombra/Torb are seen more as support than offense/defense.
The roles of Offense, Defense, Tank, and Support are literally just there to help new players not feel overwhelmed with 20+ characters to pick from.
Fair enough. From the PTR footage I'm not seeing too much defensive potential from Doomfist though; on the contrary, he looks like fast and strong offense to the core. Not necessarily a bad thing by any means, but I really want more defensive options characterwise (esp. something in the vain of Bastion or Junkrat), and Doomfist seemed like a solid fit for that role before he was revealed. Guess we'll just have to keep waiting.
Hammond maybe? Lol

Top Bottom