• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch: Doomfist unveiled (Melee-heavy Offense hero)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Nope, you can just use it and wait for invulnerability to end and land right after it wears off. I just watched Seagull consistently killed 3 guys who got rezzed with it.

When they are rezzed they will move away they won't just stand there waiting for the doomfist ult to hit, you can still get them but it's definitely not as easy as you make it sound like.

Also not the whole radius kills, the farther they get away the less damage it does.

R0ckman

Seems fun to play as but a bit op. And probably unfun to play against due to all his short cc stuff.

I stopped playing after they broke Hog though and they don't seem intent on fixing him anytime soon so I'm still pretty deflated about Overwatch.

Yeah I stopped when I started losing confideince in their ability to reasonably balance things, the solution was never fun and was always extreme.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Need this to be a skin
Dragoon_concept_art.jpg

Tawpgun

He looks fun and its too early to tell about the balance but.... just from what I saw....

His ult is bullshit.

Its basically hit ult button to teleport away, roam around picking a target, and then come crashing down with less than a second of warning.

There should be a way to kill him while he is ulting, the roaming reticle can't be moved that far/time cut down so you need to come down fast, or people can see where you are aiming.

The fact that he can do this indoors is kinda silly too. You can literally Doomfist ult inside the nepal capture points, all of them.

I feel like with this character a lot of smaller design flaws start to raise their ugly head in overwatch, stuff like being stuck by tracer and just ulting to not die, being able to contest a point while in ult, small things that all add up.

He looks fun and its too early to tell about the balance but.... just from what I saw....

His ult is bullshit.

Its basically hit ult button to teleport away, roam around picking a target, and then come crashing down with less than a second of warning.

There should be a way to kill him while he is ulting, the roaming reticle can't be moved that far/time cut down so you need to come down fast, or people can see where you are aiming.

The fact that he can do this indoors is kinda silly too. You can literally Doomfist ult inside the nepal capture points, all of them.

I agree, it should be like a winston pounce with wind-up so he can be seen at all times like everyone else.

The one thing I don't like about him is that it would seem that it makes Rein even less valuable.

he makes rein's charge feel like walking, his doomfist lunge is stupid quick it's hard to track in battles, also rein has a loud and clear sound before he appears around a corner but doomfist can tip toe behind you and give you a fisting...

Captain Fun

Neo Member
Looking at streams, he looks like he'd be really difficult to contend with if you got the movement down. He looks like fun though.

Falchion

Holy shit that arm is crazy. Really excited to play as him but I'm sure he'll be snatched up in quickplay immediately for weeks.

Takuan

Terry probably cost too much. Why pay the premium when your game's already incredibly popular and a hungry VA will deliver quality work for pennies on the dollar?

MartyStu

I foresee lots of REALLY nasty cooldowns for him in the future.

Talkin' about Ana sleep dart levels.

I feel like with this character a lot of smaller design flaws start to raise their ugly head in overwatch, stuff like being stuck by tracer and just ulting to not die, being able to contest a point while in ult, small things that all add up.

I agree, it should be like a winston pounce with wind-up so he can be seen at all times like everyone else.

he makes rein's charge feel like walking, his doomfist lunge is stupid quick it's hard to track in battles.

All things I think they will most likely try to address before he goes live.

The one thing I don't like about him is that it would seem that it makes Rein even less valuable.

Thats so weird to me, when I took a hiatus from OW, Rein was always there, I've returned since the anniversary event and he hardly gets any play at all.

It's probably just the current meta being all dive but IIRC theres something glitchy about his ult and charge skill.

Also I don't play Hog at all, (I one trick Zarya) but it kinda irks me Blizz nerfs Hog's 1shot and freely gives Doomy one.

Navid

I don't play Overwatch but usually turn up to watch the character videos they put out, unfortunately this one is probably the most generic/least interesting one yet...

Dreavus

Weird how no one really spoke in that cartoon clip, they just used some grunts from the game for each character (other than DF obviously)

I agree with most of what everyone else is saying about his Ult.

1 of 3 things needs to happen.

1 - He needs to be targetable like Junkrat during his windup.
2 - There needs to be more than 1 second of reaction time from him selecting his target.
3 - The enemy team needs to be able to see the targeting reticle at all times so they can act accordingly.

Overwatch is about telegraphing, either via sound or animation, and this Ult seems to provide very little of either.

My favourite part of his cinematic was him destroying Tracer's device and phasing her out of existence. If only he took out Winston so that she couldn't come back. Doomfist my man you have some unfinished work.

Tawpgun

For sure, they need to before he is live and in ranked.

Careful though, he is brand new and most people are using him in unlimited heroes or the Doomfist only playlist.

We need to see some gameplay from the regular modes a week or 2 from now to see how people adapt. Don't get too nerf happy at the beginning.

X-Frame

I am assuming that Doomfist was designed during the time when Rein was a must-pick and therefore his punches through shields plus knockback would have been wonderful to break up those death balls.

Now .. Rein is already in a poor spot on most maps and this just makes it even worse for him.

What happens when Rein charges a lunging Doomfist? Do both fall to the floor stunned like Rein vs. Rein charges?

hydruxo

His ult is bullshit.

Yeah the ult needs to be toned down a bit. Otherwise I'm actually okay with all his abilities and the cooldowns for them.

Blues1990

I can't be the only one who think the game cannot survive Blizzards sledgehammer approach of slow patch cycles and gigantic buffs/nerfs, no?

Tovarisc

I can't be the only one who think the game cannot survive Blizzards sledgehammer approach of slow patch cycles and gigantic buffs/nerfs, no?

Patch cycle for OW has been everything else, but slow. Also balance swings for most part haven't been drastic like e.g. WotLK had.

BlueMagic

Thats so weird to me, when I took a hiatus from OW, Rein was always there, I've returned since the anniversary event and he hardly gets any play at all.

It's probably just the current meta being all dive but IIRC theres something glitchy about his ult and charge skill.

Also I don't play Hog at all, (I one trick Zarya) but it kinda irks me Blizz nerfs Hog's 1shot and freely gives Doomy one.

They fixed the issues in the latest patch.

he makes rein's charge feel like walking, his doomfist lunge is stupid quick it's hard to track in battles, also rein has a loud and clear sound before he appears around a corner but doomfist can tip toe behind you and give you a fisting...

And every melee ability will hit/move/stun Rein anyway so the shield is useless. The matchup will be all Doomfist, and any comp that has a Doomfist will essentially instantly disable Rein. Winston and D.VA won't suffer as much because of the movement I guess.

LiK

Terry probably cost too much. Why pay the premium when your game's already incredibly popular and a hungry VA will deliver quality work for pennies on the dollar?

Yup, and they will constantly need him to add new lines as well as do conventions like with the other VAs. Doubt he has time for all that.

He's gonna need some time added to those cooldowns. Make using the fist feel more risky and more of a commitment.

At first i thought this too, but that would make more sense if it wasn't his main DPS. Since his character revolves around that charge, i'd expect them to nerf the shotty instead so that if he whiff's, he has a hard time fighting his way out of it.

Top Bottom