• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch: Doomfist unveiled (Melee-heavy Offense hero)

They fixed the issues in the latest patch.

And every melee ability will hit/move/stun Rein anyway so the shield is useless. The matchup will be all Doomfist, and any comp that has a Doomfist will essentially instantly disable Rein. Winston and D.VA won't suffer as much because of the movement I guess.

Well, then you'll start seeing more Sombra since she makes Doomfist absolutely worthless.

He looks fun and its too early to tell about the balance but.... just from what I saw....

His ult is bullshit.

Its basically hit ult button to teleport away, roam around picking a target, and then come crashing down with less than a second of warning.

There should be a way to kill him while he is ulting, the roaming reticle can't be moved that far/time cut down so you need to come down fast, or people can see where you are aiming.

The fact that he can do this indoors is kinda silly too. You can literally Doomfist ult inside the nepal capture points, all of them.

If he couldn't ult indoors he would unplayable on half the maps in the game.

Hmm

0015fsyp

hqdefault.jpg

He's gonna need some time added to those cooldowns. Make using the fist feel more risky and more of a commitment.

I feel like the rocket punch should have an innate punishment if you don't fire it for so long.

Like, it takes 2 seconds to charge to max, and you can hold it for 4 seconds total, but if you don't use it within 4 seconds, you backfire and stun yourself for .5 seconds or something.

Edit: Or put the punishment closer to the max so it encourages people to fire it off at medium strength more, and only more experienced players risk the max attack.

He's gonna need some time added to those cooldowns. Make using the fist feel more risky and more of a commitment.

Absolutely not. That would destroy the whole point of the character. He doesn't do the majority of his damage through left click he does it through right click and abilities.

Edit: Can we stop talking about nerfs for 5 seconds? Just because Seagull can wreck people 3000 SR lower than him doesn't mean he needs the nerf bat already jesus.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Absolutely not. That would destroy the whole point of the character. He doesn't do the majority of his damage through left click he does it through right click and abilities.

Edit: Can we stop talking about nerfs for 5 seconds? Just because Seagull can wreck people 3000 SR lower than him doesn't mean he needs the nerf bat already jesus.

This.

I'm happy that he's not voiced by Terry Crews just by nature of Blizzard having the restraint to not buckle into turning the game into Overmeme because a well known personality wanted in.

Whompa02

God let people learn how to counter him before complaining IMMEDIATELY about the character's strengths. The biggest problem in modern gaming is the knee jerk stupidity in the communities.

Learn how to counter him. Hell 95% of the people complaining probably hasn't even touched him in a real game scenario yet.

At first i thought this too, but that would make more sense if it wasn't his main DPS. Since his character revolves around that charge, i'd expect them to nerf the shotty instead so that if he whiff's, he has a hard time fighting his way out of it.

good point. I forget he's dps sometimes.

nerfing the shotgun damage falloff range makes the most sense.

I'm happy that he's not voiced by Terry Crews just by nature of Blizzard having the restraint to not buckle into turning the game into Overmeme because a well known personality wanted in.

Yeah honestly I think Terry's memeing probably ensured they wouldn't go to him for the role.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

They already turned it into Overmeme wit hthe Dad 76 and Gremlin DVa garbage

Zubz

Banned
Ok, that animation was dope. I always wanted more in-engine Overwatch shorts, but I'm hoping we get more animated ones!

... Speaking of which, Doomfist is the only character on the site with a 3D model for their icon; everyone else's is hand-drawn. Did we have to wait for Sombra/Orisa to get hand-drawn icons?

6RLnaVegE3EcRBcCFuaPgSpRZkhvA.jpg

No terry crews voice over is hella lame but he looks great design and gameplay wise.

Doomfist was already written into the story before this update. What would you rather have: 1.) Terry Crews play a character that shouldn't be voiced like a ham, 2.) Terry Crews bungling a Nigerian accent, or 3.) getting a fitting voice for this badass character now, & h o p e f u l l y (Blizzard, you better not tease me with Terry & never deliver; Overwatch is the only game of yours I play so please don't be putting him in Warcraft or something) get a character that utilizes Terry Crews' voice talent to its fullest later... Which, seeing how the Greek character is supposedly next, will not be for at least another 6-8 months.

nOoblet16

Can his ult even be countered? Or does he just disappears off the map ? If it's the later then it could be a pretty reliable way to get a kill even if you do an unplanned ult in the middle of the battle.

Here is the likely answer to the Terry Crews question:

2016-17 video game voice actor strike

The strike action targeted eleven developers and publishers, including Activision, Electronic Arts, Insomniac Games, Take 2 Interactive, and WB Games

Basically, SAG members can't do voicework for certain game publisher right now. It's part of why the chick who voiced Chloe from Life is Strange isn't also voicing her in the new prequel.

Tovarisc

Can his ult even be countered? Or does he just disappears off the map ? If it's the later then it could be a pretty reliable way to get a kill even if you do an unplanned ult in the middle of the battle.

It's un-counterable other than not being in AoE when he decides to land.

Ajszenk

So Reinhardt is officially dead now right? Pretty much the last nail in the coffin from what I can tell. Is there anything they can do to salvage him at this point?

Countered? No.

Avoided? Sorta.

You have literally 1 second to see the targeting reticle to move. So characters like Tracer, Genji, Reaper, Winston and Pharah can use their abilities to haul ass.

nOoblet16

Countered? No.

Avoided? Sorta.

You have literally 1 second to see the targeting reticle to move. So characters like Tracer, Genji, Reaper, Winston and Pharah can use their abilities to haul ass.

I guess Junkrat can escape too with his mine, Mercy can fly to someone else, D.Va can fly away, Sombra can teleport or disappear, Lucio can run away plus help others do the same, Hanzo perhaps if he is near a wall and Reinhardt if he has a charge. That's a decent list but still quite a few that can't run away

I guess Junkrat can escape too with his mine, Mercy can fly to someone else, D.Va can fly away, Sombra can teleport or disappear, Hanzo perhaps if he is near a wall and Lucio can run away plus help others do the same.

Nah, you're overestimating reaction times.

Literally 1 second.

So Tracer's Blink and Genji's Dash are instantaneous, so they work. Hanzo, Mercy and likely Lucio and NOT going to have the reaction time to be able to get out of a target that big.

nOoblet16

Nah, you're overestimating reaction times.

Literally 1 second.

So Tracer's Blink and Genji's Dash are instantaneous, so they work. Hanzo, Mercy and likely Lucio and NOT going to have the reaction time to be able to get out of a target that big.
Sombra's teleport is instantaneous too, provided she put a beacon down.

But can the opposing team not see the AoE marker until like 1 second before it's about to hit? I was under the impression that you see it for the entire duration of the ult, just like it appears on the Doomfist player's screen.
Cause if it's just before the impact AND the fact that he disappears off the map then that's something that needs to change later.

Sombra's teleport is instantaneous too, provided she put a beacon down.

But can the opposing team not see the AoE marker until like 1 second before it's about to hit? I was under the impression that you see it for the entire duration of the ult, just like it appears on the Doomfist player's screen.
Cause if it's just before the impact AND the fact that he disappears off the map then that's something that needs to change later.

Yeah. Enemy team only sees target after doomfist locks it in. Thus the 1 second to react.

I think my biggest problem is Doomfist is actually in the flavor. After being so hyped, I feel like his actual look and the intensity of his personality in-game is a bit disappointing. He seems a lot less visually stylized than the rest of the Overwatch cast. And for a character of legendary proportions he seems kind of dull, personality wise. Like he's so angry that he doesn't talk much?

Tovarisc

I think my biggest problem is Doomfist is actually in the flavor. After being so hyped, I feel like his actual look and the intensity of his personality in-game is a bit disappointing. He seems a lot less visually stylized than the rest of the Overwatch cast. And for a character of legendary proportions he seems kind of dull, personality wise. Like he's so angry that he doesn't talk much?

His cosmetics, dialogue with other heroes etc. aren't in.

Agreed. The community brought a lot of it on themselves with all the expectations of Terry Crews screaming POWWEEEEEERRRR and punching Torbjorn to the moon, but for someone called Doomfist I really wasn't expecting him to be quite so boring.

Also honestly I don't think his moveset looks any fun to play against, if you haven't got a Sombra you're just going to have this 250(+) HP guy charging halfway across the map in half a second to insta-kill any healer or low mobility hero before immediately flying away. Genji is the only other attack hero with so much mobility and he not only deals way less damage but has longer cooldowns, higher risk and less health.

Ok, that animation was dope. I always wanted more in-engine Overwatch shorts, but I'm hoping we get more animated ones!

... Speaking of which, Doomfist is the only character on the site with a 3D model for their icon; everyone else's is hand-drawn. Did we have to wait for Sombra/Orisa to get hand-drawn icons?

6RLnaVegE3EcRBcCFuaPgSpRZkhvA.jpg

Did we have to wait for Ana/Sombra skins and voice lines?

DevilDog

And it felt pretty good seeing everyone freak out about it. Blizzard made a choice for the better. Anyone who was fangasming about it can't see the result clearly.

antitrop

Doomfist's charge has a stun effect that works similarly to McCree's flashbang. It can stun people out of ults, like Roadhog's Whole Hog or Reaper's Death Blossom.

Any ult that McCree can cancel, Doomfist can cancel, and from a longer range.

Lijik

Was messing around alone as Doomfist in the maps, and I would play a first person platform/brawler as this dude in a heartbeat. His mobility is so fun

Top Bottom