• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch: More Sombra teasers, new game mode tease, 4-5 new maps datamined

Overwatch is so much fun, that whatever mode they have planned and whatever "controversies" they are expecting, I'm sure will blow over quickly. This game is a blast. And I eagerly await any new game modes, characters, and whatever else. Wonder how weird Ana will be on consoles tho.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You can't please everyone, which is why I find these "controversies" so silly. Instead of celebrating how ridiculously diverse Overwatch is compared to most games, it's always just "But why isn't X in the game?"

There's always going to be someone who feels left out. You can't expect one game to represent absolutely everyone.

If a indigenous wasn't in the game, I wouldn't complain.

It's the fact that it's relegated to a skin that makes it an issue. A character that seemingly has no ancestral or even familiar ties to the group of people its representing(and the fact that the design is a mashup of all sorts of tribes in the most generic 'native american skin' sense you can get doesn't help). It's appropriation. If the skin didn't exist, I would just say, 'oh this game doesn't represent my people or other people of similar tribe ancestry. well that sucks but i'm used to it in video games sadly.' but because the skin is there, it has the undesirable look of, 'you're not good enough for a character. you're a skin at best. for a character that has nothing to do with it. you have no representation. this other unrelated person represents you'

and you certainly can't expect every game to represent everyone but no one should be condemned for expecting more diversity. There's no cap on diversity. More diversity is always something you should be looking forward to and asking for more of it isn't some critical 'you fucking racists' statement. There's not a quote you can ever hit on 'well we represented enough people no one can say anything.' You shouldn't stop expecting more of it because there's a bunch of games with a white woman with red hair on the cover.

RexNovis

Banned
Only one of each hero on a team, whoever you pick at the start is locked and you can't switch heroes during the match. That's all.

That's a pretty weak MOBA mode. Hopefully they'd add other modifiers to make it more unique and maybe add practice bots as creeps or something. That is if they are indeed trying to make a MOBA style mode for it.

Give us a straight up Team Deathmatch so all those Hanzo fucks can stop wasting spaces in competitive modes.

Give us RIP-tire races so Junkrats can fuck right off.

jotun?

As soon as somebody starts pitching a game mode where Tracer can’t blink anymore or she’s not allowed to use her recall, that’s where we step away from it and we’re like, “You know, we need the game mode that makes Tracer want to blink and use recall and that everybody thinks that’s cool and not a balance problem and broken.

Translation: No CTF mode

Hero

Did they say how end of season rewards are awarded?

Did my placements and got placed into 56 but with the crappy way competitive is, I'd like to preserve it if it means I'll get better rewards, but if it just takes into account your highest rating I might just play some more to see how many competitive points I can get.

Actual

Give us a straight up Team Deathmatch so all those Hanzo fucks can stop wasting spaces in competitive modes.

Give us RIP-tire races so Junkrats can fuck right off.

I know this is meant as a joke, but.... I think a race mode would be fun.

Obviously, it would need to be limited to one character or something. Like, a Winston obstacle race. A Widowmaker grapple race. A Genji platforming race. A Pharah air race. A Reinhardt sprint. It's silly, but it sounds fun to me!

Kite

Someone on r/overwatch extracted a bunch of audio files from the PTR and it gave some hints to the new maps and game modes :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4ta9lc/i_went_over_all_available_voice_files_on_the_ptr/

tl;dr new maps:

A castle in Germany
Korean Map
Underwater Map
Moon Map
Ordenance Bay (same as underwater map?)

New game mode:
I've heard almost every character say I'm on defense or offense. I think a new gamemode is going to exist in which two teams fight vs AI or something and one team has to defend and the other attack.
Winston - "I've leveled up. Time to assign those skill points."
Oh so this is what the announcer was talking about new champion level. This is possibly part of the new game mode.
There is also a lot of voice files of all the characters saying something like "One more win and we are back in this" "We have to just win one more time" Now I am not sure if this is in game but this is possibly for ranked rounds.
The announcer has a few quotes calling rounds above 5.
Announcer - Additional time added
Announcer - New heroes joining!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe an Omnic War horde type mode?

Korea's position in the Overwatch universe is that they're constantly attacked by Omnic Kaiju.

SerRodrik

ekim

Maybe an Omnic War horde type mode?

Korea's position in the Overwatch universe is that they're constantly attacked by Omnic Kaiju.

Yeah.

- one team has to attack a certain point of interest that is spawning new AI enemies
- these AI enemies attack a second point of interest that must not be destroyed so the other team defends that.

Or those voice lines are just some addition for the existing modes.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
After this, and this, I'm convinced that it's 50% Blizzard trolling us, and 50% us trolling ourselves. Sombra is going to be a gag like Asagi in Nippon Ichi games. They'll release Doomfist, Athena, Liao, and in 2017 we'll still be hunting down Sombra "clues"! I won't be fooled again!!!!

Please god, let it be this.

duckroll

I wouldn't get too hyped. Some of those lines are probably not what we expect. Definitely getting a castle map tho.

DrArchon

Hopefully we get more than one map at a time.

I mean, if the maps are tied to new game modes, then we kinda have to right? No one wants to play a new game mode if it's just on the same map over and over and over again.

I guess that wouldn't be the case if the maps were for existing game modes, but then you'd have an imbalance with one mode having more maps.

duckroll

I mean, if the maps are tied to new game modes, then we kinda have to right? No one wants to play a new game mode if it's just on the same map over and over and over again.

I guess that wouldn't be the case if the maps were for existing game modes, but then you'd have an imbalance with one mode having more maps.

Why does this matter? Unlike heroes, we don't choose maps. They're queued in a playlist beyond our control. It would make zero difference.

_machine

I wouldn't get too hyped. Some of those lines are probably not what we expect. Definitely getting a castle map tho.
This so much; I find it very unlikely that they have 4-5 maps so far in production that they would have completed map specific VO that has been signed on, recorded, post-produce and committed to game. It especially goes against what Jeff earlier said about map production pipeline (only in art polish pass).

A new map or two in the coming weeks would be great.
Two absolutely not, and I would say that depending on their priorities, they might wait until the end of competitive season before pushing out a new map.

I feel like the Brawl Mobawatch was a bit of a test for a possible MOBA/DotA/horde mode without the NPCs. I think they were just testing to see how the locked in picks worked.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This so much; I find it very unlikely that they have 4-5 maps so far in production that they would have completed map specific VO that has been signed on, recorded, post-produce and committed to game. It especially goes against what Jeff earlier said about map production pipeline (only in art polish pass).

Well, due to the nature of getting voice actors into the studio, Blizzard has had audio responses in Heroes of the Storm for characters that haven't been released for years.

Damn, I'm so excited for this. Overwatch has really blown me away, I can't remember the last multiplayer game I've loved this much. Wish I had a gaming PC, but the PS4 version plays great anyway.

Interfectum

Damn, I'm so excited for this. Overwatch has really blown me away, I can't remember the last multiplayer game I've loved this much. Wish I had a gaming PC, but the PS4 version plays great anyway.

I have both versions, most of the time I play on PS4 anyway. This is the perfect game to sit back with a controller and a beer or three.

duckroll

Well, due to the nature of getting voice actors into the studio, Blizzard has had audio responses in Heroes of the Storm for characters that haven't been released for years.

Yeah but that also means a lot of it is prototype content which might not make it out or be released in the same form!

Azoor

Blizzard already have a MOBA and to think they'll add one to Overwatch is interesting.

And people still mentioning Batteborn? It seems like it'll be remembered as the game that tried to complete with Overwatch and failed.

Kyzon

They've mentioned previously that they want to add more builder heroes, but it hasn't been any more specific than that.

I have a hard time coming up with a builder hero whose niche isn't already filled by Symmetra and Torb, but I guess that's why Blizzard is making the game and I'm just playing it.

I'd want a builder who put up things like catapults and dash pads to launch and speed up your team while also being able to toss opponents around

Bluth54

Valve has had the beta of a moon themed map in TF2 since mid 2014 and I have little doubt that we'll see Blizzard's moon map first.

Niks

Did they say how end of season rewards are awarded?

Did my placements and got placed into 56 but with the crappy way competitive is, I'd like to preserve it if it means I'll get better rewards, but if it just takes into account your highest rating I might just play some more to see how many competitive points I can get.

It's all downhill from your initial ranking. :/

Top Bottom