• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch: More Sombra teasers, new game mode tease, 4-5 new maps datamined

BigDug13

Why does this matter? Unlike heroes, we don't choose maps. They're queued in a playlist beyond our control. It would make zero difference.

Maybe they want an equal 25% chance at each game mode like we have now. If there becomes an imbalance towards KOTH maps because they release an additional two KOTH maps for example and no other maps, we would end up getting queued into KOTH maps 41% of the time, leaving the other modes less played.

They should probably release one of each of the 4 gametypes at once. So 4 new maps, 1 KOTH, 1 capture, 1 payload, 1 hybrid cap/payload, maintaining 25% chance at each game mode.

Paches

Did they say how end of season rewards are awarded?

Did my placements and got placed into 56 but with the crappy way competitive is, I'd like to preserve it if it means I'll get better rewards, but if it just takes into account your highest rating I might just play some more to see how many competitive points I can get.

If Hearthstone is anything to go off of, it counts your top rank you achieved during the season as your reward at the end, even if you dropped off a cliff after you peaked. So maybe the same will occur here, possibly.

matmanx1

Interesting stuff. The timing completely works for a reveal during the 3rd week of August and especially during Gamescon in Germany with that being between the end of Season 1 and before the start of Season 2 of Competitive Play.

I would very much like a Horde mode with Omnics and attack and defense control points. That would be pretty rad.

_machine

Ehh I'm not a big fan of the teasing and non answers. Why can't they just give a content road map.
Because of multiple reasons, which Jeff Kaplan explained quite well:
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745285677 said:
There's a lot going on right now. We're working on content patches throughout the rest of the year and into early 2017 currently. Of course we have long term plans, but we like to remain agile to respond to the current direction of the game and players' needs.

So maps and heroes are being worked on daily. I wish I had dates for you but whatever date I gave you would change and then you'd all be mad at me.

Obviously, there is a lot more going on -- stuff I am forgetting to mention as well as some surprises. I can't stress this enough: some of this stuff might not happen. The reason developers usually don't give insight like this is because if something changes or doesn't happen, players get very angry at us. I would like to change that dynamic but we need to do that together. We'll share more information with you guys so long as you understand none of this is a promise and things do change throughout the course of development. So when we see a "HOW COME WE DIDN'T GET THE HIGHLY PROMISED RANDOM POSE OPTION" rage post 2 years from now, please feel free to quote this paragraph in the reply...
Because for better or for worse, that road-map will not hold and even when trying to manage expectations (which is surprisingly a lot of work, and usually pretty stressful too) players will ultimately tend to hold it against the development team.

Nazo

Really looking forward to all of that! Also the new skins they strongly hinted at in the Kotaku interview.

That data mined line form Winston where he says "I've leveled up. Time to assign those skill points." Makes me think its some kind of Moba styled game mode. I really REALLY dislike Mobas so I hope that's not the case. But if it is I just hope it's its own seperate game mode and won't be apart of Quickplay or Ranked. That would just be awful if it were.

duckroll

Maybe they want an equal 25% chance at each game mode like we have now. If there becomes an imbalance towards KOTH maps because they release an additional two KOTH maps for example and no other maps, we would end up getting queued into KOTH maps 41% of the time, leaving the other modes less played.

They should probably release one of each of the 4 gametypes at once. So 4 new maps, 1 KOTH, 1 capture, 1 payload, 1 hybrid cap/payload, maintaining 25% chance at each game mode.

Simple fix. Distribute the map types with even probability first, and then select a map after that.

I could see them adding some sort of sports mode where you had to score on American Football style goals using an oversized ball and helped by stuff like jump pads. Kinda like Rocket League in the Overwatch universe.

Thewonandonly

If Hearthstone is anything to go off of, it counts your top rank you achieved during the season as your reward at the end, even if you dropped off a cliff after you peaked. So maybe the same will occur here, possibly.
That's how it should be.

Looks at my 72 high rank while crying that I'm 53 now :(

Mupod

Ehh I'm not a big fan of the teasing and non answers. Why can't they just give a content road map.

Recent example: Capcom did this for SF5 and caught an unbelievable amount of shit for it when they didn't meet their targets. Even though they are going to be ahead of schedule on characters at least.

Mindlog

Hmm, they did Mobawatch as the weekly brawl last week and that was by far the most fun I've had with the game since launch week.

I could see them coming up with some sort of permanent MOBA-like mode, but I can't imagine what they do past Mobawatch's one hero/no switching stipulation. Levels aren't happening because of how core the characters kit is and I wouldn't hold my breath for creeps or whatever either because they're laser-focused on the 6v6 element.

Stock Mobawatch is great though. They can perm that and call it a night as far as I care.
That might make me jump in. Haven't really been drawn to Overwatch, but Paragon has its claws in me.

They'll never make mobawatch permanent just like they won't do it with any other brawl mode. But I think they're planning on making custom games much more accessible so you can set these rooms up on your own, or find other people who want to play it.

really glad to hear more maps are coming soon... game really needs it at this point

as for another new character, I've yet to have any loot boxes drop any Ana stuff after like 6 level ups... so in no rush for another

Squire

Banned
really glad to hear more maps are coming soon... game really needs it at this point

as for another new character, I've yet to have any loot boxes drop any Ana stuff after like 6 level ups... so in no rush for another

It took me two levels and I'm pretty high up.

Random is as random does, I suppose.

BigDug13

Simple fix. Distribute the map types with even probability first, and then select a map after that.

Then you would end up seeing maps in the increased-map-count mode less often as once it was determined to fall within the 25% probability, then it will finally select a map from the greater list. You'll actually end up playing the old maps WAY more than the new ones in your proposed system. You'd hardly play the new maps at all without a custom game.

duckroll

Then you would end up seeing maps in the increased-map-count mode less often as once it was determined to fall within the 25% probability, then it will finally select a map from the greater list. You'll actually end up playing the old maps WAY more than the new ones in your proposed system. You'd hardly play the new maps at all without a custom game.

I never said the maps all have even probability, only the game modes. When a map is new, the probability for the new map being chosen over older maps in the same mode could go up for a period of time. None of this is new or unusual in the concept of map playlist selection!

Horde mode sounds exciting if you can go in there with a team. But I would want the maps to be dynamic and force you to move around.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I really want a map in Rio. Thought that was a no-brainer but apparently not.

They've been working on it a long time, it's just been saddled with issues, delays and a lack of confidence from those working on it. ;)

maouvin

Sombra might've showed up on the new trailer (above the goal):

WillingDelectableBanteng-size_restricted.gif

Bigger size/video format here:
https://gfycat.com/WillingDelectableBanteng

edit: yt version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c21GpGwkzg4

Dragner

I dont think they'll introduce new competitive modes as their goal is to push esports for overwatch and you want your game to be consistent to not split the competitive playerbase. They can still do all thay wacky modes for brawls like lucioball.

I could see them adding some sort of sports mode where you had to score on American Football style goals using an oversized ball and helped by stuff like jump pads. Kinda like Rocket League in the Overwatch universe.

I was pretty close :p

And ruined it by starting off with accidentally editing my original post instead of quoting it..

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Keep Sombra as a teaser character, I don't really care about her. Doomfist is way more intriguing to me, especially his move set. I'd rather see him released next.

Edit: I feel this way mainly because Sombra is being teased as a TF2 spy-like character. Which will in turn make Mei nearly mandatory like Pyro was to do spy checks with her gun.

hNBVFdPl.jpg

t1FlE7El.png

doomfist_gauntlet_by_blade_fury-d8697wz.jpg

Top Bottom