• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Blues1990

New season high got!

I am comin' for ya master!

jgRm_f-maxage-0.gif

You can do it! Be brave!

Yep, but tell me you didn't get that reaction where you disengage from the game when hooked, even if it was less than a second. So if he forgot to reload, you still died because you had backed away from the game/ threw your controller down in disgust.

It just seems backwards to me because the hooking animation is actually too short. If it was longer, your team mates would have more of an opportunity to shoot/shield/DM/wall/boop the Roadhog to negate the ability. Plus, it would discourage Roadhog from using the ability on cooldown in team fights, yet preserve its ability to 1v1 any lone character.

Veelk

Banned
I swear to god. I must have played 20 QP games and a widowmaker was in literally every single one.

And they were on my team for 15 of them.

jviggy43

They've actually nerfed him numerous times since the game launched.

Even the 'buff' you speak of is debateable. He got better fighting, but he lost a ton of support capability with the aura nerf. I think he's in an awesome spot now because of how fun is he to play. But I suppose he doesn't need all those offensive capabilities to still be really useful, he'd still get picked if they reverted his gun changes.
They nerfed his area of affect but upped the amount of healing he does. This meant that only lower skilled players would get a nerf while the higher players got a much better Lucio in both healing and offense. He was already the most used character in the game prior to that patch so it was silly to tweak him in a manner that would allow for a higher ceiling but a lower floor, especially if the idea was to cut down on how frequent he was picked.

The Lucio change was for the better and I'm glad they did it, I feel like he became a much more fun character to play.

Before he had a huge healing/speed aura, basically you only had to be there somewhere to be able to reach the entire team, now since the range is much shorter you have to stay closer and pay more attention to who needs healing/speed the most so you can move to them.

Doing more damage and the increased orb speed also makes it so you can have a more offensive impact to the fight instead of being just a healing/speed bot.

And the speed boost while wallriding was genius.

They nerfed his area of affect but upped the amount of healing he does. This meant that only lower skilled players would get a nerf while the higher players got a much better Lucio in both healing and offense. He was already the most used character in the game prior to that patch so it was silly to tweak him in a manner that would allow for a higher ceiling but a lower floor, especially if the idea was to cut down on how frequent he was picked.

He is picked less at the pro level actually. That might have happened regardless, but his aura nerf was significant.

After watching the video from Ned's perspective again, I definitely think I need to spend a little time in training mode adjusting my aiming sensitivity. Too many times when I'm trying to adjust my aim I end up overshooting my target when I move left and right. Last night as Hanzo I missed an enemy that was barely moving and didn't see me three times because I overcorrected with every arrow. Happens a lot with other characters too, so I might have to lower it a bunch to fit my skill level better.

I don't think anybody has any complaints about Lucio's current form, and I think Blizzard has given up trying to change him so he isn't picked 90% of the time at pro level. All the pro players keep reiterating that unless another support gets speed boost capabilities, Lucio is essential in any form. Short of removing his speed boost entirely, he's always going to be a tournament must-pick.

jviggy43

He is picked less at the pro level actually. That might have happened regardless, but his aura nerf was significant.
Its itneresting becaase while Ive seen that thats true, its still the fact that hes an even better character now for skilled players. Also I'd put "nerf" in quotation marks
I don't think anybody has any complaints about Lucio's current form, and I think Blizzard has given up trying to change him so he isn't picked 90% of the time at pro level. All the pro players keep reiterating that unless another support gets speed boost capabilities, Lucio is essential in any form. Short of removing his speed boost entirely, he's always going to be a tournament must-pick.

This is true but I still don't see the point in raising his max level play when he was already being picked at such a high rate. Idk just seemed superfluous

After watching the video from Ned's perspective again, I definitely think I need to spend a little time in training mode adjusting my aiming sensitivity. Too many times when I'm trying to adjust my aim I end up overshooting my target when I move left and right. Last night as Hanzo I missed an enemy that was barely moving and didn't see me three times because I overcorrected with every arrow. Happens a lot with other characters too, so I might have to lower it a bunch to fit my skill level better.

I use the vortex kontrol freeks though, they are cheap and make a lot of difference in terms of aiming control. I've never felt confortable with the normal analog sticks, they're way too short and small.

LiK

You're sensitivity ain't working with your aiming style. Need to adjust it more to the point where it doesn't overshoot targets. I suggest lowering it.

Mr Git

I'm thinking of messing around with the aiming modes (linear ramp etc.) - I lowered the sensitivity for most characters, i.e. Tracer and find my general accuracy has improved but I really miss the ability to turn around really quickly. I've decided I'm not really gonna bother with say Widow until I'm playing the PC version, but I find the highest sensitivity is really good for characters like D.va. Genji is a weird one I've not really played with much yet (would like to although there's one in every game so) but I feel he'd be bettter with really high sensitivity for his movement but lower for his aiming. Has anyone else played much with the sensitivity options?

I use the vortex kontrol freeks though, they are cheap and make a lot of difference in terms of aiming control. I've never felt confortable with the normal analog sticks, they're way too short and small.

Oh, huh. I may have to look into those. OW is the first multiplayer shooter I've played regularly since the N64 Goldeneye days, so I never really got anything to help with aiming since single player FPS games never really needed precise aiming. But since I've been playing OW for over a year now, maybe I should invest in improving.

You're sensitivity ain't working with your aiming style. Need to adjust it more to the point where it doesn't overshoot targets. I suggest lowering it.

Yeah I think that's what I'm gonna start with. I really like the feel of my Ana settings and her scoped vs unscoped so I'll probably start with her as a baseline and go from there.

Oh, huh. I may have to look into those. OW is the first multiplayer shooter I've played regularly since the N64 Goldeneye days, so I never really got anything to help with aiming since single player FPS games never really needed precise aiming. But since I've been playing OW for over a year now, maybe I should invest in improving.

Same, never played a multiplayer shooter besides the killzone 2 beta so the first 2 seasons I played with the regular sticks and I wasn't really happy with my aim or how the game felt, ended up finding those while looking for convex sticks similar to the ones on ps3. Never going back.

I use them for all games but they are especially good in other singleplayer games that require aiming, Horizon being the most recent.

I'm thinking of messing around with the aiming modes (linear ramp etc.) - I lowered the sensitivity for most characters, i.e. Tracer and find my general accuracy has improved but I really miss the ability to turn around really quickly. I've decided I'm not really gonna bother with say Widow until I'm playing the PC version, but I find the highest sensitivity is really good for characters like D.va. Genji is a weird one I've not really played with much yet (would like to although there's one in every game so) but I feel he'd be bettter with really high sensitivity for his movement but lower for his aiming. Has anyone else played much with the sensitivity options?

The aim assist feels much stronger in dual-zone compared to exponential ramp or linear ramp, I won't say I'm 100% happy that mode, but it gets the job done most of the times. I tend to use higher sensitivity but it's totally possible to play Tracer with low sens, there are videos on yt of top500 players that use around 50 or so.

Its itneresting becaase while Ive seen that thats true, its still the fact that hes an even better character now for skilled players. Also I'd put "nerf" in quotation marks

This is true but I still don't see the point in raising his max level play when he was already being picked at such a high rate. Idk just seemed superfluous
You're not wrong.

But if Lucio is overpowered, it's not an overpowered that ruins the game for the other team, like some other heroes have been at certain times. No one is saying "fuck this enemy Lucio, this game is so unfair."

So if someone is going to be overpowered make it a hero who is subtle about his OPness, also make him an insanely fun support hero, because no ones going to complain about supports being picked more.

Talonz

Doomfist is not going to drastically change the meta in anyway.

Overwatch needs more than just a new meta anyway. Competitive needs some sort of overhaul and stricter penalties and the ability to avoid playing with people(yes even if that means the poor Widow maker mains have to wait 30 minutes for a match)

He's going to help the current meta rather than drastically change it. Doomfist can charge to the back line just like D'Va and Winston can. I think dive is going to be even more lethal once he's put on live.

Nimby

Banned
Reading up about the SK comp. It's very interesting at least. I hope the SK team isn't so dominant that they can run off meta comps and succeed, but rather an actual counter. They should really be holding off on that Graviton buff if this comp is legit.

It's upped my morale quite a bit.

Azoor

Can we just get a "Avoid Hanzo, Torb, and Widow teammates" button?

Better yet, have the match maker take the heroes you play into consideration, don't put 3 Mercy mains in one team where they're forced to play a hero they don't know how to play.

Owzers

Can we just get a "Avoid Hanzo, Torb, and Widow teammates" button?

You can't group our most beloved Torb in with the snipers.

Put my turret down, give it a whack
Don't worry team I'm watching your back
Get lost in the wild, frightened by a lion's roar
It's time to die flankers, I'm yelling Molten Core!

The "avoid player" is open to abuse, people use it to avoid good players so they won't play against them again.

How about the "avoid player" feature only affect your team?

I've said this before, it's probably complicated in terms of matchmaking, but in this case people would not use it on good players.

They also should add some kind of limit to it's use so you can't avoid all the hanzo mains.

dhMeAzK.gif

Gorillaz

what in the

I should have specified aura range nerf, as the rest of his kit was buffed.

As someone who has played quite a bit of Lucio since the beginning, he is way more fun to play now. You feel much more active on the fights rather than a hero who sits in the corner and speed boosts. We can criticize Blizzard for their game balance with Overwatch, but they really know how to make their characters engaging and fun to play.

Veelk

Banned
I tried to throw a QP game by choosing Torb on KotH. I was still playing as best I could, but I intentionally took a bad pick because I was so sick of Widowmakers screwing my teams that I wanted to let others get pissed over bad team comp for once.

Still lost, but I ended up with 4 gold metals and the only one to get some success against the enemy.

I can't even throw properly when Widows are in play :(

I tried to throw a QP game by choosing Torb on KotH. I was still playing as best I could, but I intentionally took a bad pick because I was so sick of Widowmakers screwing my teams that I wanted to let others get pissed over bad team comp for once.

Still lost, but I ended up with 4 gold metals and the only one to get some success against the enemy.

Throwing doesn't really count if it's quick play.

I-hate-u

Reading up about the SK comp. It's very interesting at least. I hope the SK team isn't so dominant that they can run off meta comps and succeed, but rather an actual counter. They should really be holding off on that Graviton buff if this comp is legit.

Yup, me too.

You don't throw with Torb.

You carry ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I still think pharmercy will destroy comps like that.

Also the fact that they don't have any flankers means that the mercy can have a much safer game, but since the pro games are so much different in regards to mercy my opinion may be wrong there.

Some more Overwatch League news today via a Blizzard press release, this time focused on players

https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/news/20937016

- Official signing window for season 1 = Aug 1 to Oct 30
- Players must be signed to 1 year contracts that can be extended by an additional year
- Contracts must guarantee at least $50,000 and include healthcare and retirement savings plans (holy crap yay!)
- Players must receive 50% of the team's performance based income, with a 3.5 million prize pool for season 1
- Rosters must be 6-12 players with no region locking
- Team's are required to maintain player housing and practice facilities "which will meet professional standards determined by the Overwatch League"
-Confirmed to launch later this year

Some more Overwatch League news today via a Blizzard press release, this time focused on players

https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/news/20937016

- Official signing window for season 1 = Aug 1 to Oct 30
- Players must be signed to 1 year contracts that can be extended by an additional year
- Contracts must guarantee at least $50,000 and include healthcare and retirement savings plans (holy crap yay!)
- Players must receive 50% of the team's performance based income, with a 3.5 million prize pool for season 1
- Rosters must be 6-12 players with no region locking
- Team's are required to maintain player housing and practice facilities "which will meet professional standards determined by the Overwatch League"
-Confirmed to launch later this year

Fuck quitting my job to finally get out of Plat and into OWL.

Ramirez

A blog I would subscribe to.

6-12 players?

Uhh that seems like a lot. 600k for salaries min for players that the organizations have to pay out?

If you can afford the $20 million buy in fee, you can afford that. It's good that Blizzard is guaranteeing a lot of this stuff. Oh, and a lot of players will be making more than the minimum I'm sure. I know some make six figures already, and someone like Seagull will get a ton of money.

So you have to have at least gotten to Masters in the most recent season and be in a team to be eligible? Uhhh, who wants to start a team GAF :)

I CALL TEAM CAPTAIN

Are they discriminating against PS4 players? Can we sue?

It's time to unionize.

Top Bottom