• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

I-hate-u

If you can afford the $20 million buy in fee, you can afford that. It's good that Blizzard is guaranteeing a lot of this stuff. Oh, and a lot of players will be making more than the minimum I'm sure. I know some make six figures already, and someone like Seagull will get a ton of money.

GAT DAYUMMMM

Makes sense, didn't they say OWL will be bigger than NFL?

Apparently we are getting some Junkrat buffs on the next iteration of the PTR.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758326009?page=4#post-70

At the least it looks like Junkrat will be able to hold two concussion mines and his ult is either getting a health increase or speed increase.

We are approaching the day when Torb can have two turrets...

Hopefully they will nerf the damage of the concussion mines, being able to throw two in a row and detonate them for a easy 240 damage doesn't sound like a good idea.

Nimby

Banned

Hopefully they will nerf the damage of the concussion mines, being able to throw two in a row and detonate them for a easy 240 damage doesn't sound like a good idea.

Maybe it works on a timer like Tracer's blinks or Sym's turrets. And you gotta detonate the first one to throw another or something.

Veelk

Banned
Junkrat buffs? Sound good.

Though I still prefer his 3 trap idea with a buff to his ammo clip and health to his ult.

In his post reduced damage on the tires was basically implied. I should have mentioned that, sorry.

Maybe it works on a timer like Tracer's blinks or Sym's turrets. And you gotta detonate the first one to throw another or something.

You have to detonate the first to throw another.

Nimby

Banned
What about Junkrat's primary fire...

I guess they still want people to spam choke points.

They've sort of fixed this. Junk still will suck mid-range duels but with 2 mines you can play really aggressive with him, go up close and retreat back.

And I didn't see where he said you can't have two out a time so that's good.

In his post reduced damage on the tires was basically implied. I should have mentioned that, sorry.

You have to detonate the first to throw another.

If he have to detonate first then it's fine, don't know why I assumed he could throw both immediately D:

Crisis averted.

Blues1990

Apparently we are getting some Junkrat buffs on the next iteration of the PTR.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758326009?page=4#post-70

At the least it looks like Junkrat will be able to hold two concussion mines and his ult is either getting a health increase or speed increase.

On the plus side, these changes are actually good, reasonable balance adjustments that increase his mobility options, giving him more flexibility to get out of a messy confrontation.

It would also give Junkrat the ability to disrupt the enemy team a lot more, but I don't understand his comment about Pharah.

Fuck this, I give up. All that SR lost in moments. I can't win a single game of comp at all. I may spend the whole day training in QP. To then get wiped, toyed with, and insulted by everybody. Fuck this game, fuck blizzard, and fuck me for upgrading to the Origins edition. I'm not good at this and I will never be. Uninstalling, and hoping I never go back to this turd.

Veelk

Banned
The main thing about this change is that Junkrat will be far more mobile. He'll be able to doublejump (or even triple jump if he waits for the CD), and just GTFO in general. Which is fine, I guess, but I feel like they're constantly moving every character to be more dive-y.

If Junkrat is a defense character, I say let him defend. Buff his area denial abilities. It's how I'd prefer to empower him.

Fuck this, I give up. All that SR lost in moments. I can't win a single game of comp at all. I may spend the whole day training in QP. To then get wiped, toyed with, and insulted by everybody. Fuck this game, fuck blizzard, and fuck me for upgrading to the Origins edition. I'm not good at this and I will never be. Uninstalling, and hoping I never go back to this turd.

My advise is do not train in QP less you're just learning how to move around with a character. The style of play in QP is nothing like Competitive. It should be, I know. But it just isn't.

Don't bother with QP as training. Just go into comp and play your best. I know it can sometimes suck (I just had a game where the team put together a horrible team comp, then quit when we lost the first round), but the only way to actually get good at the game is Comp.

Nimby

Banned
On the plus side, these changes are actually good, reasonable balance adjustments that increase his mobility options, giving him more flexibility to get out of a messy confrontation.

It would also give Junkrat the ability to disrupt the enemy team a lot more, but I don't understand his comment about Pharah.
Two mines will allow him to get up and contest Pharah to deal with her or allow him more mobility to escape her. This buff is really nice as it builds on the fun aspects of his kit.

Blues1990

Two mines will allow him to get up and contest Pharah to deal with her or allow him more mobility to escape her. This buff is really nice as it builds on the fun aspects of his kit.

I agree about the escape option, but in theory, wouldn't the offensive path have little influence on Pharah in most circumstances? It's not like the Pharah player is going to ignore the incoming Australian that's lobbing mines & grenades into their vicinity.

I agree about the escape option, but in theory, wouldn't the offensive path have little influence on Pharah in most circumstances? It's not like the Pharah player is going to ignore the incoming Australian that's lobbing mines & grenades into their vicinity.
It's gonna be harder to take him out. This gonna give him quite a bit more mobility. But yeah as a Pharah main I'm not too worried of him still, he'll just be harder to kill.

Veelk

Banned

Well, Pharah's escape options in the air are limited themselves. Though I think you'll need better aim with Junkrat to hit Pharah than Pharah will need to hit Junkrat. Plus, if the concussion mine damage is nerfed, then Junkrat throwing his in her face won't be as damaging, so he'd need to atleast get one hit in with his nade.

The Eagle will always prey upon the Rat, but this gives him a fighting chance.

My advise is do not train in QP less you're just learning how to move around with a character. The style of play in QP is nothing like Competitive. It should be, I know. But it just isn't.

Don't bother with QP as training. Just go into comp and play your best. I know it can sometimes suck (I just had a game where the team put together a horrible team comp, then quit when we lost the first round), but the only way to actually get good at the game is Comp.

Uninstalled, sent a ticket to support asking to remove the game from my account ot directly ban me from it. I don't ever want to see this shitstain ever again. I always keep coming back, and I always end regretting it.

Nimby

Banned
2 grenades or a grenade + mine would eliminate her. He also doesn't get hurt by his explosives anymore. If he manages to get right up on her he could take her out easily. Mercy pocket be damned.

Have you tried the arcade modes?

I think highly of mystery heroes if you like to play with most of the characters, don't focus on winning, just try having fun in games with some really weird team compositions. Sometimes there are steamrolls but most of the games can be fun in my experience.

QP is trash because of the snipers.

The main thing about this change is that Junkrat will be far more mobile. He'll be able to doublejump (or even triple jump if he waits for the CD), and just GTFO in general. Which is fine, I guess, but I feel like they're constantly moving every character to be more dive-y.

If Junkrat is a defense character, I say let him defend. Buff his area denial abilities. It's how I'd prefer to empower him.

More mobility is always good imo, it doesn't really turn characters into dive but makes the traversal of the maps more fast and fun.

xCobalt

Decided to finish my placements last night and got diamond. 10th match was pretty one sided since my team had a 4 stack doing their placements as well and were level 30-40. The other team had like 3 masters. Pretty happy with placement overall though. If anyone wants to do some ranked or QP on ps4, feel free to hit me up. Wouldn't mind grouping up with other gaffers.

jviggy43

I should have specified aura range nerf, as the rest of his kit was buffed.

As someone who has played quite a bit of Lucio since the beginning, he is way more fun to play now. You feel much more active on the fights rather than a hero who sits in the corner and speed boosts. We can criticize Blizzard for their game balance with Overwatch, but they really know how to make their characters engaging and fun to play.
I'm with you on all of this.

Also those league stipulations are insane, good for the players.

Veelk

Banned
More mobility is always good imo, it doesn't really turn characters into dive but makes the traversal of the maps more fast and fun.

Maybe not Dive, but dive-ier.

Eh, not a big deal really. Junkrat has been due a buff for a long goddamn time, so this is good. Just not my ideal direction. I want overwatch to maintain it's diversity of play styles, and Junkrat in particular has a unique role among the roster because he makes the battlefield itself dangerous rather than just being a danger on the battlefield. I like that about him and wish that was the thing they focused on.

On the other hand, if they nerf his concussion damage, that means they're gonna be buffing his trap damage. Which makes them a lot deadlier, so maybe I am getting what I want in a round about way after all.

Lemstar

50k minimum with 50% of the prize money as a Tier 1 player doesn't sound that exciting. Sure, it's a new infrastructure for a (relatively) new game, but it's not that exciting given the hype and big names and amount of money backing it.

For comparison, Seagull probably made something along the lines of $50-60k streaming this past month. It was an outlier given that the Twitch Prime promo was a huge factor and I don't think a lot of them will be coming back, but still.

50k minimum with 50% of the prize money as a Tier 1 player doesn't sound that exciting. Sure, it's a new infrastructure for a (relatively) new game, but it's not that exciting given the hype and big names and amount of money backing it.

For comparison, Seagull probably made something along the lines of $50-60k streaming this past month. It was an outlier given that the Twitch Prime promo was a huge factor and I don't think a lot of them will be coming back, but still.
The Seagulls will be signing for more than 50k. It's a contract with benefits. I think you'll be surprised.

Veelk

Banned
well whatever they did to make invincible to his spam they need to get rid of it. Its so dumb that he just spam away in close quarters with his already generous hitboxes

That is Total Mayhem.

Anyway, no, I disagree entirely. Dying to your own attacks is whats dumb.

Veelk

Banned
On a related note, it's why I'm glad D.Va's exploding mech doesn't kill her any more.

Really, I wish they'd just make that the general rule. I don't see how it improves the game to accidentally die to your own Tracer Bomb or anything like that. There might be an argument to be made for Pharah since otherwise she's just going to get in people's faces and ult like that.

But other than that, I just don't like the concept. If you can't hurt your allies, why are you able to hurt yourself?

Have you tried the arcade modes?

I think highly of mystery heroes if you like to play with most of the characters, don't focus on winning, just try having fun in games with some really weird team compositions. Sometimes there are steamrolls but most of the games can be fun in my experience.

QP is trash because of the snipers.

I had to go through the worst toxic asshole in mistery heroes, so I am even more soured on this shit game. I also can't use half the heroes, so it's not even fun. Plust the wasted time in matchmaking do endure leavers. more time lost, more SR lost. And that I suck at every fucking role. So I'm out. I suck at these games. 20 hours is enough wasted yime. If I can't improve in so much time, I can never improve. Like every time I get in QP I get bad hopes. Every gold medal, absurd K/D ratios. Then think I'm ready for comp and I get assraped by a fuxking monkey which is even more obnoxious than snipers. Tank? I suck. Heal? I suck? Dps? I can't even land one single kill in comp. I went there fooled by QP. And then the toxicity and insults coming from everywhere, every time. I have only seen one good game where despite ending on a draw (the best result I've had), we talked and discussed so much and changed roles to adapt to the situation that we felt like we had accomplished something. But the rest of the time is pure pain and not having chances at all. So fuck this. I am even tempted to sacrifice Diablo III tiger an account wide ban so that one month later I don't end going back to OW. All these months thinking I was getting better, that I was working and improving. And now trying to cope with the fact that it was all a fucking lie and I suck at this and have no room for improvement. I feel fucking crushed and I want to cry. I'm a fucking failure.

Really, I wish they'd just make that the general rule. I don't see how it improves the game to accidentally die to your own Tracer Bomb or anything like that. There might be an argument to be made for Pharah since otherwise she's just going to get in people's faces and ult like that.

But other than that, I just don't like the concept. If you can't hurt your allies, why are you able to hurt yourself?

Counterpoint: Rocket jumping is cool

Veelk

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpICZIgfei8

I still can't do this shit on console, spent some time on practice range trying it and my jumping height after rocketing is always the same as the normal boost.

I also don't see the number 1 pharah on console (or any other player) using it ever so I assume we just can't do it in this version :\

Holy SHIT, that was not my mental image of Seagull at all.

Anyway, I just tested it out myself. I'm not sure why you feel you can't do it, I did it just fine. I just don't like that you take damage on it, so if you don't have a mercy on your ass, you're sacrificing quite a bit.

ferunnico

Neo Member
Is it fair to say that DPS is the most mechanically demanding role and that bad DPS (myself included, when I have to fill in as DPS) are one of the biggest reasons for losing a match? I feel like most of my lost matches have in common that the enemies just don't seem to die, while their superior DPS pick off our supports and then dismantle the rest of our team.

Geneijin

Is it fair to say that DPS is the most mechanically demanding role and that bad DPS (myself included, when I have to fill in as DPS) are one of the biggest reasons for losing a match? I feel like most of my lost matches have in common that the enemies just don't seem to die, while their superior DPS pick off our supports and then dismantle the rest of our team.
Yes and yes, but it's not always the case obviously. You need decent tanks to create space to allow DPS to operate in. Team composition, hero choice, and maps can also affect performance.

Holy SHIT, that was not my mental image of Seagull at all.

Anyway, I just tested it out myself. I'm not sure why you feel you can't do it, I did it just fine. I just don't like that you take damage on it, so if you don't have a mercy on your ass, you're sacrificing quite a bit.

Did you gain more height compared to the normal jump? I did it on practice range marking the highest spot with the spray and it was always the same no matter what, tried so many different timings and nothing worked. Will try again today when I play.

Edit: It was sometime ago though, I remember talking with Komaru about that here. Hopefully it works, the higher I can go the better :p

Veelk

Banned
Did you gain more height compared to the normal jump? I did it on practice range marking the highest spot with the spray and it was always the same no matter what, tried so many different timings and nothing worked. Will try again today when I play.

Do you try to fire the rocket after you hit rocket boost? If so, that's the problem.

Hit both buttons at the same time.

I also just tested it out with her concussion blast, which produces a similar, if not slightly greater, boost. But then your concussion blast is on CD, so if you have a Mercy, you may as well use the rocket. I still think self damage is dumb tho.

Do you try to fire the rocket after you hit rocket boost? If so, that's the problem.

Hit both buttons at the same time.

I also just tested it out with her concussion blast, which produces a similar, if not slightly greater, boost. But then your concussion blast is on CD, so if you have a Mercy, you may as well use the rocket. I still think self damage is dumb tho.

I think I tried everything imaginable lol

I use the blast to move horizontally mostly.

Top Bottom