• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Lemstar

Huh. That's a shane, how significantly are we talking?
Overwatch was close to or ahead of League in terms of playtime in Korean PC bangs for about a year after launch. A few months back, Blizzard implemented a change that made it more difficult to smurf at PC bangs, presumably to help deal with the aimbot issue, which reflected in an immediate decline in playtime.

Since it caught on, PUBG's been eating Overwatch's lunch in Korea as it has the rest of the world. At the moment, Overwatch is at 13% (which is probably a historical low - although I can't look at historical data without signing up for an account, it wasn't that long ago that it dipped below 20% for the first time). For comparison, League is at 26% and PUBG is at 19%.

Twitch viewership is down a nonnegligible amount, probably on account of PUBG. On a 3 month timeframe (compared to the preceding 3 month window), viewer time declined somewhere around 20% and average viewership for all channels combined has dropped about 50%. Twitch as a whole grew during that period, so that doesn't account for shrinkage.

The good news for Overwatch is that it's not likely to slip that much further on Twitch - the numbers have looked pretty stable on shorter timeframes, and it's pretty reliably in 6th behind the new competitive big 5 with games below it or temporarily surpassing it (Destiny 2, GTA5, WoW, FIFA, Fortnite) unlikely to leapfrog it in the long term. Nonetheless, I think Blizzard shot themselves in the foot on this front.

TrueBlue

Overwatch was close to or ahead of League in terms of playtime in Korean PC bangs for about a year after launch. A few months back, Blizzard implemented a change that made it more difficult to smurf at PC bangs, presumably to help deal with the aimbot issue, which reflected in an immediate decline in playtime.

Since it caught on, PUBG's been eating Overwatch's lunch in Korea as it has the rest of the world. At the moment, Overwatch is at 13% (which is probably a historical low - although I can't look at historical data without signing up for an account, it wasn't that long ago that it dipped below 20% for the first time). For comparison, League is at 26% and PUBG is at 19%.

Twitch viewership is down a nonnegligible amount, probably on account of PUBG. On a 3 month timeframe (compared to the preceding 3 month window), viewer time declined somewhere around 20% and average viewership for all channels combined has dropped about 50%. Twitch as a whole grew during that period, so that doesn't account for shrinkage.

The good news for Overwatch is that it's not likely to slip that much further on Twitch - the numbers have looked pretty stable on shorter timeframes, and it's pretty reliably in 6th behind the new competitive big 5 with games below it or temporarily surpassing it (Destiny 2, GTA5, WoW, FIFA, Fortnite) unlikely to leapfrog it in the long term. Nonetheless, I think Blizzard shot themselves in the foot on this front.

I see.

With things like Destiny 2, Fifa 18, PUBG and Fortnite, I guess it stands to reason that Overwatch took a hit. They're fresher experiences. Will be interesting to see if OW picks up Twitch-wise at the turn of the year.

I see.

With things like Destiny 2, Fifa 18, PUBG and Fortnite, I guess it stands to reason that Overwatch took a hit. They're fresher experiences. Will be interesting to see if OW picks up Twitch-wise at the turn of the year.

don't we have more games coming out still this fall? we'll probably see a bit more drop but hopefully pick back up or stabilize.
and then we have D2 coming out for pc soon anyways.
probably won't take away viewers.

Anne

Yeah she just ends up with a low impact (terrible) ultimate as the cost of all of this. The "buff" of "double range on rez" is just insulting. So instead of having to be directly on the corpse you can be a few steps away from it. Thanks Daddy Kaplan.

Reactions like this are why I don't post in this thread as much or interact with the OW community as a whole very often.

Here's Dallas's OWL team: Dallas Fuel. Along with a cool Genji skin.

DallasFuel_2-1-1024x600.png

This is awesome, can't wait to see the other teams' names and logos

Player bitching me out for giving up on tanking on a team with a solo Lucio healer, yet he's on Hanzo with a total playtime of 1 hour when his top time is Mercy at like 15 hours.

#Playerlogic

IHaveIce

Banned
Here's Dallas's OWL team: Dallas Fuel. Along with a cool Genji skin.

DallasFuel_2-1-1024x600.png
Ok I don't get why these teams don't get their Org names? I mean the Orgs played a shitload of money for a spot and brand recognition is also important...so why should they change those names to generic terms.

Wiating for the Optic gaming skin

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
There is no feeling more demoralizing than hopping into a match and saying "I wanna play X hero!" Only to find out moments later half the enemy comp counters you. So you're forced to switch off.

Talonz

So according to bnet forums Genji is broken and needs a nerf? dafuq, what year is it

It's his Ultimate. The change allows him to use it after he's slept or stunned unlike Lucio/Rein/Roadhog who lose it completely. It really isn't fair. Genji though getting stunned by McCree(by any decent McCree) is dead while him getting slept by Ana is open for him surviving and using his ult. That is why people are complaining. How is it fair for Genji to retain his ult while Rein/Lucio/Road lose theirs?

Lemstar

I see.

My guess is that Destiny 2 after the PC release is still going to have similar average viewership to WoW and GTA5 - a step behind the A-listers. I don't think Fortnite will show much staying power - the luster from the f2p Battle Royale launch has worn off already, it seems, and without future sponsored streams from PUBG streamers, there's not a whole lot of viewer base for it.

I feel like Overwatch is pretty much down to its baseline level of viewership - most of the people still regularly watching are doing it because they're committed to Overwatch or one of the big personalities who still play it; the majority of casual viewers have moved on to other games (mostly PUBG).

I suppose there's still the World Cup at Blizzcon to put up some big numbers, but in retrospect, the Morgan Stanley OWL report seems hilariously optimistic.

On a tangential note, the OWL announcement trailers made a big deal about how Krusher99's ladder performance was part of a clear path to becoming a pro. So much for that, right? Did anything ever come of those combine surveys Blizzard sent out a few months ago?

Good stuff man, I remember you were like one game away from it a few seasons ago on your main, unfair. You're a great tank player.

It's his Ultimate. The change allows him to use it after he's slept or stunned unlike Lucio/Rein/Roadhog who lose it completely. It really isn't fair. Genji though getting stunned by McCree(by any decent McCree) is dead while him getting slept by Ana is open for him surviving and using his ult. That is why people are complaining. How is it fair for Genji to retain his ult while Rein/Lucio/Road lose theirs?

This comparison doesn't make any sense honestly.

His ult always worked differently compared to those, it's similar to S76, Bastion, Torb, Winston, Widowmaker and Mercy where they have their abilities enhanced. Same with nanoboost.

Do you really think their ults should disappear just because they were stunned or slept?

Kysen

Had an amazing round on Gibraltar yesterday, I was playing Orisa and managed to pull 4 people into a Mei ult. The enemy team on the 2nd round only managed to push the payload 10m. Complete stomp. I also had another amazing game as Dva on lijang and netted 37SR for the win.

Lunatic Hai vs GC Busan will start soon to decide who stays in Apex. Should be pretty good, Busan 3-0'd LH a few weeks ago

https://go.twitch.tv/ognglobal

Commentators won't shut up about LH not having a dedicated soldier player but iirc they won the last APEX with Esca mostly on Sombra even on attack.

Can't remember if the patch they were playing was that much different from this one.

Anyway, 0-2, not looking good for LH right now even though the games were somewhat close so far.

Edit: Esca subbed in, poor whoru rip genji :(

Counter point. While not every character has been viable from release through the present, roughly 90% of the character case has been viable at one point or another. It seems as more time passes the amount of characters that are totally viable at one given time has steadily been increasing.
I am used to fighting games where most of the cast is represented at similar rates at high levels of play. Tons of diversity and strategy. This is my only FPS I have taken seriously, so maybe I am being unfair in carrying that standard over?

i agree wholeheartedly with that guy. Jeff should also be replaced
A lot of what they do is good. I don't really think they should be replaced. I am forever sore about Hog.

would the feedback from the pro scene help.
this whole internal team just isn't working.
I think step 1 is having an open discussion with the community about what a balanced Overwatch looks like.

Do people need to swap for bad match-ups?
Can every hero best every other?
Should one skilled player be able to take on 3 or 4?
What comps should they aim to support?

Right now we don't even know their overall design goals for the game.

rip lh

Edit: ^they do have feedback from the pro scene, from what I recall they have a discord with devs and pro players on it.

I don't think every hero needs to viable at a pro level. But it's also not good if the pro meta revolves around 7-8 characters max like we saw with dive... it's super boring to watch.

Cappa

Banned
Holee shit #89 D.Va lol. Congratulations!

Ruler is probably the best tank Ive played with in OW(sorry Owzers lol). His Rein is also ridiculous, actually shocked it took him this long to even get master.

We probably kept holding him back lol

Man, tried playing some FFA last night and it was a nightmare. I grabbed Mercy, and went against 5 Genjis. Picked Rein next and had 4 Tracers toying with me.

The crowd seems way more aggressive in the evenings.

On the other hand, I played a couple games this morning. Got 19 kills as Rein on Chateau and 18 Kills as Mercy on Eichenwalde. Played another game as Widow, and while I got second place, it was only with 14 kills. Some McCree was cleaning up shop.

Cappa

Banned
Anytime I play with Ruler, he's always Mei.

lol I´m assuming QP?

I want to 4-6 stack and run my Mei in comp, lol. I recently stopped giving a shit in comp and have just been playing Mei and im winning so whatever. Whenever I try to play for the team, it goes bad, so instead of being a team player im just going to have fun and its working out so far so meh.

LiK

lol I´m assuming QP?

I want to 4-6 stack and run my Mei in comp, lol. I recently stopped giving a shit in comp and have just been playing Mei and im winning so whatever. Whenever I try to play for the team, it goes bad, so instead of being a team player im just going to have fun and its working out so far so meh.

Comp too. No wonder we lose. :p

holysan

I can't remember the last time I lost on Horizon when playing attack Junkrat. He is beyond broken there, especially on the first point. Best counter to cancer too.

rulerk1

playing Mei with Lik <3

Ruler is probably the best tank Ive played with in OW(sorry Owzers lol). His Rein is also ridiculous, actually shocked it took him this long to even get master.

We probably kept holding him back lol

Owzers is prob a better Rein than me now. I havent played him in a long time tbh. I forgotten how to shatter now :(

Anne

I am used to fighting games where most of the cast is represented at similar rates at high levels of play. Tons of diversity and strategy. This is my only FPS I have taken seriously, so maybe I am being unfair in carrying that standard over?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

High level of most team games that involve any type of abstract "team composition" revolve around powerful meta picks and will see a % of their roster only being played seriously at a time. There are exceptions to this, but even then there's still pickrates that stay dominant while others will always be nice.

In OW you can mirror(which reduces representation already), switch to shut down niche picks (which means they're less likely to get picked), and have a lot of tools frontloaded based off class (which means some characters are "required" p often). Shit's a recipe for only seeing a small chunk at a time. The small roster isn't helping anything either.

Nepenthe

One more reminder to all of you entitled tank and DPS nerds.

If you're constantly dying/popping out of your mech when there's a Mercy and me on the team, you're taking too much damage. Stick by us. Do not charge into the enemy team like you're fucking Sonic or some shit. We can't really help you when you do that.

Just as well, I'm not about to never use speed boost, not when I'm simultaneously playing objective and stalling against the whole enemy team, and especially not when I'm using it to bail your Baby D.Va ass out of a losing battle with a fucking Sombra (you're welcome for me killing her for you, by the way).

And again, we had a Mercy on the team. Why the hell am I getting all the blame for you constantly dying?

Children. Just absolute children all over the place.

i'm still getting used to new dva. it may take one death to figure out how their team plays but after that i can adjust with her and play cautiously aggressive.

If you're constantly dying/popping out of your mech when there's a Mercy and me on the team, you're taking too much damage. Stick by us. Do not charge into the enemy team like you're fucking Sonic or some shit. We can't really help you when you do that.

Just as well, I'm not about to never use speed boost, not when I'm simultaneously playing objective and stalling against the whole enemy team, and especially not when I'm using it to bail your Baby D.Va ass out of a losing battle with a fucking Sombra (you're welcome for me killing her for you, by the way).

And again, we had a Mercy on the team. Why the hell am I getting all the blame for you constantly dying?

Supports are the Rodney Dangerfield of Overwatch. They get no respect.

Why yes, me keeping you alive while you whiff all your shots and then I die to a flanking Genji that you abandoned me for chasing after somebody else, that's my fault you're now dead.

Chance

Supports are the Rodney Dangerfield of Overwatch. They get no respect.

Why yes, me keeping you alive while you whiff all your shots and then I die to a flanking Genji that you abandoned me for chasing after somebody else, that's my fault you're now dead.

(Blows on knuckles.) #notallDPS

And yes, I am gonna' link this every time.

Anne

I find that a decent amount of the time support players aren't actually that good at their job and think too highly of themselves in Blizzard games specifically.

Top Bottom