• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Achieved the dream of a nice Orisa play of the game in my first real comp game with her, great way to cap off a night of great games with folks from here.

My favorite was solo rezing you after all the little supports thought you were good and dead and left the room on Lijiang Tower.

LordofPwn

I needed 12 SR to get back to platinum after being fucked over in placements. Tonight I got -160...

Fuck Hanzo.
Fuck Defensive D.Va.
Fuck Bastion.
Fuck whatever the fuck matchmaking bullshit I had to deal with tonight.

To put things in perspective I exclusively trio queued in season 3, of the 3 of us I had the higher SR at the end of the season. Zarya main and if need be, Lucio, Pharah, Mei, Soldier, Roadhog, and depending on the map, Reinhardt. Trio queued placements with same 3, get DC'd during 1 match but was able to rejoin and we win. Go 5-4-1, Get placed about 300 SR lower than where I ended... Been playing past couple nights solo queue and managed to crawl back up to 2488, still like 200 SR lower than where I should be, but hey almost plat and I've been getting about 40SR per win and only like 20 per loss so even if I lose one win one I should hit platinum.

O how wrong I was to believe in the Jeffs...

And this is why I understand smurfing.

Here's to hoping they do a hard reset of mmr after this season. Just feels hopeless...

Fugu

I needed 12 SR to get back to platinum after being fucked over in placements. Tonight I got -160...

Fuck Hanzo.
Fuck Defensive D.Va.
Fuck Bastion.
Fuck whatever the fuck matchmaking bullshit I had to deal with tonight.

To put things in perspective I exclusively trio queued in season 3, of the 3 of us I had the higher SR at the end of the season. Zarya main and if need be, Lucio, Pharah, Mei, Soldier, Roadhog, and depending on the map, Reinhardt. Trio queued placements with same 3, get DC'd during 1 match but was able to rejoin and we win. Go 5-4-1, Get placed about 300 SR lower than where I ended... Been playing past couple nights solo queue and managed to crawl back up to 2488, still like 200 SR lower than where I should be, but hey almost plat and I've been getting about 40SR per win and only like 20 per loss so even if I lose one win one I should hit platinum.

O how wrong I was to believe in the Jeffs...

And this is why I understand smurfing.

Here's to hoping they do a hard reset of mmr after this season. Just feels hopeless...
I got placed at 2450 and I'm 3600 now. Don't lose hope, don't get tilted, and never stop communicating with your team.

maomaoIYP

What in the fuck is this matchmaking
C9XBnwwU0AQ0Joj.jpg:large

LordofPwn

I got placed at 2450 and I'm 3600 now. Don't lose hope, don't get tilted, and never stop communicating with your team.
No one communicates on PS4 though... I'll say group up and people will generally not give a shit. I'll try and coordinate an ult and no one pays attention. Frustrating because yesterday and the day before were so great.

And the thing is I don't mind facing better opponents, how else am I supposed to get better? But it's so much easier for one person to throw for a team than it is for 1 person to carry.

Thanks for the words of encouragement though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I will never understand how so many people are so good with Genji on PS4. Every Genji I see is usually fucking insanely good.

Easier to play Genji on console than PC. Similar to Lucio and a few others. Joystick is better for character movement than WASD.

While many of the strongest heroes, are harder to play on console. Hence why Ana is number one on PC, but basically non-existent on console in comparison to Mercy or Lucio. Or why Soldier is number one in DPS, who Genji is insanely good against.

Anne

I just picked up Overwatch from the Xbox Spring sale. Any quick tips for an Overwatch noob?

Try to learn at least 4-5 characters, make sure you have one from each role that excels at that role. Roadhog is not a main tank, Symmetra is not a support for the sake of choosing somebody in those roles to learn how to play.

It's okay to have characters you really specialize in, but if you end up "maining" somebody you will be at a huge detriment to your team usually. A lot of new players unfortunately fall into that trap.

Don't be afraid to switch heroes a lot mid match. Just be aware to not waste a bunch of good ult charge since switching resets your ult charge to 0%.

Team comp really matters. The "standard" one you see a lot is 2/2/2. 2 damage dealers, 2 tanks, 2 supports. You basically always need two supports, but sometimes you'll have 3 DPS or 3 tanks or something. That's fine, just be aware 95% double healer is something you want on your teams. You probably won't find low rank people willing to do that for a bit though, just be aware that's pretty strong.

Pick characters you like and have fun. No point in learning some broke shit because the game is pretty balanced, and when things are imbalanced they usually get nerfed/buffed in the span of a couple of months. Might as well learn characters that make you want to play the game more until you decide to look into picking to win.

Hey guys, has the recent Uprising update given anyone else connectivity issues? Before the update I hadn't had a single disconnection in the past couple of months, but since the update I've gotten disconnected at least twice every day.

I just picked up Overwatch from the Xbox Spring sale. Any quick tips for an Overwatch noob?

Do try to learn at least one support and tank character each, even if you are absolutely amazing as a DPS. Also, regardless of which type of hero you stick with most of the time, do try to learn multiple heroes of that type, because quite a few heroes have hard counters in Overwatch.

Yoday

Try to learn at least 4-5 characters, make sure you have one from each role that excels at that role. Roadhog is not a main tank, Symmetra is not a support for the sake of choosing somebody in those roles to learn how to play.

It's okay to have characters you really specialize in, but if you end up "maining" somebody you will be at a huge detriment to your team usually. A lot of new players unfortunately fall into that trap.

Don't be afraid to switch heroes a lot mid match. Just be aware to not waste a bunch of good ult charge since switching resets your ult charge to 0%.

Team comp really matters. The "standard" one you see a lot is 2/2/2. 2 damage dealers, 2 tanks, 2 supports. You basically always need two supports, but sometimes you'll have 3 DPS or 3 tanks or something. That's fine, just be aware 95% double healer is something you want on your teams. You probably won't find low rank people willing to do that for a bit though, just be aware that's pretty strong.

Pick characters you like and have fun. No point in learning some broke shit because the game is pretty balanced, and when things are imbalanced they usually get nerfed/buffed in the span of a couple of months. Might as well learn characters that make you want to play the game more until you decide to look into picking to win.
That's a lot of good stuff, thanks. I've been mainly playing Mercy, as not a single team I have been a part of has had a healer, so I take it upon myself.

Anne

Season goal achieved \o/ 76% winrate so far too.

da43b1efa9.png

Gonna keep playing though of course.

That's a lot of good stuff, thanks. I've been mainly playing Mercy, as not a single team I have been a part of has had a healer, so I take it upon myself.

Figured that would be the case early on. Ana is also a really good solo healer with a very powerful kit if you wanna pick up another healer. That's who I use if I end up in a solo healing situation.

Not sure how this happened, but as D.Va I took out 4 players with my Ult's and somehow killed another player too after the initial blast.
Not that I'm complaining(in fact my Ult won us the match and got a quintuple kill), but it was a weird occurrence.

Wished I saved the highlight before I had quit the game.

Season goal achieved o/ 76% winrate so far too.

da43b1efa9.png

Figured that would be the case early on. Ana is also a really good solo healer with a very powerful kit if you wanna pick up another healer. That's who I use if I end up in a solo healing situation.
How the fuck are you so godlike Anne? I mean damn....

Achieved the dream of a nice Orisa play of the game in my first real comp game with her, great way to cap off a night of great games with folks from here.

Welcome back!

Season goal achieved \o/ 76% winrate so far too.

https://puu.sh/vjT2A/da43b1efa9.png/IMG]

Figured that would be the case early on. Ana is also a really good solo healer with a very powerful kit if you wanna pick up another healer. That's who I use if I end up in a solo healing situation.[/QUOTE]

Top 500 is in the 4300s right now, correct?

You're not far. Though, I imagine that's a tough 100 SR climb.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
New Lucio is fun as hell, I might be liking him better than Launch Lucio.

Beat 4 of my career bests in one match. sogood.gif

Yeah people were saying this was a nerf or it made Lucio more situational. After my second day of playing these changes, it feels more like a buff as long as you hit a certain threshold of skill with him. So I think the pro meta will be unchanged. Lucio is still good in both deathball and dive comps so I think his pickrate is unchanged at the top end.

Anne

APEX S3 challengers is completed. Assuming all S2 Korean teams return and the Western team leaks are true, here are the teams:

NRG
Rogue
BK Stars
Meta Athena
Lunatic Hai
Luxury Watch Blue
Kongdoo Uncia
Afreeca Freecs Blue
Kongdoo Panthera
Runaway
X6
CONBOX Spirit
Mighty AOD
MVP Space
Flash Lux
Rhino Gaming Wings

The ranking system is only fair after you play enough games. If you just did your placement games weeks after the season started, it indicates you can't expect much more. Sometimes, you get 5 bad games in a row, it's possible. Everyone feels like they should be ranked higher than they are. If you play enough, it'll even out. And if it doesn't, just try to get better.

Okay, so I had an afternoon off at work and decided to research Overwatch stuff.

What I learned is that most people with an 800dpi mouse (which I think is normal and what I have?) play at around 7 sensitivity. I watched videos of Skyline where he shows the real goals in setting your sensitivity and what you want in terms of aiming, and holy crap I've been doing it wrong all along. My sensitivity is at 15, and outside of my pretty stellar ability to whip my mouse around and snipe people with Roadhog it is holding me back, I think. I can't do any kind of sustained DPS on a target with Soldier because my aiming is so jittery. I thought I just sucked at aiming, but now I think that having my sensitivity at double what it "should" be (I have to experiment and find what works for me) is part of why I'm struggling to make gains in competitive play.

Additionally, I want to invest in a gaming mouse. By "gaming mouse", I really just mean a mouse with side buttons so I can have PTT set to a mouse button. Right now having to push the ` key on my keyboard means I have to stop playing, so I often have to choose whether to play or communicate. I don't think other keys would solve that, but another mouse button would improve my ability to play and talk about what's going on with teammates.

Thoughts on preferred mice? I looked at a list of what pros use, and it looks like all of the options are ~$50. I'm going to get a new mousepad with less friction as well.

All of this will take time for me to adjust, but if there's one thing I learned from fighting games it's that my equipment really makes a difference in how well I play, and I want to fix that.

I also got a new router so my wireless stops dropping every few hours.

In Competitive rather than full caps needed to count it is now down to the percentage, meaning if a team barely caps when attacking, after switching you can easily beat them.

It stops draws happening, some people don't like it because they have to adjust tactics.
Thanks for explaining!

Fugu

No one communicates on PS4 though... I'll say group up and people will generally not give a shit. I'll try and coordinate an ult and no one pays attention. Frustrating because yesterday and the day before were so great.

And the thing is I don't mind facing better opponents, how else am I supposed to get better? But it's so much easier for one person to throw for a team than it is for 1 person to carry.

Thanks for the words of encouragement though.
Even if you have to sit there basically talking to yourself I'd say it's worth it so long as people are in voice chat. You can tell your team where to direct their attention, for example; they might not do it, but it's better than nothing.

I have played at a wide range of skill levels owing to the fact that I've been in gold, plat, diamond and master and I have friends in bronze and silver. There is a point at which the skill gap is so large that you really can just carry outright - I'm a golden god on Pharah in a silver game - but if you think you belong in plat you probably can't do that at gold since there's not really too much difference between the two until you get to the point where people are tryhard because they're close to diamond. Still, you should try to pick characters that have a big and not subtle effect on the game so you can push your team to do stuff automatically.

A good character for this is Roadhog. If you hook and kill someone, it doesn't matter if your team is a bunch of jabronis; they'll see you're a man up and that you can go in. I also just think Pharah is good for the climb in general. You need a fair bit of a sense for danger to do much as her but because she requires a concerted team effort to counter when played properly you can win a lot of games simply by virtue of the fact that the other team's not communicating/coordinating well enough. Pharah has no real counters outside of teamwork; she can beat all of her hardest counters 1v1 (except D.Va, who she can often simply ignore instead) and she does so much damage that she must be dealt with.

In Competitive rather than full caps needed to count it is now down to the percentage, meaning if a team barely caps when attacking, after switching you can easily beat them.

It stops draws happening, some people don't like it because they have to adjust tactics.

I don't think it's so much that people have to adjust tactics, but that the tactics they have to adjust to are shitty for the game.

You literally have to keep one person on the point at all times in that scenario, or someone can blink to the point and win it outright without ever fighting.

So the intricacies of a defense on 2CP are shot. Hanamura, for example, that has so many entry points but so many forced fights in chokes, either gets boiled down to a 6v5 or the fight only occurs on the point itself. It becomes a prolonged game of waiting for the attackers to stack their ults in either case.

Additionally, I want to invest in a gaming mouse. By "gaming mouse", I really just mean a mouse with side buttons so I can have PTT set to a mouse button. Right now having to push the ` key on my keyboard means I have to stop playing, so I often have to choose whether to play or communicate. I don't think other keys would solve that, but another mouse button would improve my ability to play and talk about what's going on with teammates.

Thoughts on preferred mice? I looked at a list of what pros use, and it looks like all of the options are ~$50. I'm going to get a new mousepad with less friction as well.

Logitech G Pro.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JPOLLTK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mouse button 4 is Reload, Mouse button 5 is PTT. Shift is melee for me.

So good.

I use steelseries mousepads but they aren't as rigid as some like.

Cappa

Banned
I still don't understand why they didn't go with whoever has the most ticks instead of percentages. Yeah draws will still probably happen but the percentages thing just makes it worse I think

Logitech G Pro.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JPOLLTK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mouse button 4 is Reload, Mouse button 5 is PTT. Shift is melee for me.

So good.

I use steelseries mousepads but they aren't as rigid as some like.

How easily can you click the side buttons?
Does the mouse sit comfortably in your hand (I seem to be way more picky about this than other people...)?
Can you even hit the button beneath the wheel in a heated moment?
How easily does the wheel click down?
Is there a wireless version? :p

Tried to play some comp yesterday since all I've done all week is pve and quick play.

Went 0-4. Terrible.

There was no such thing as positioning, team fights, serviceable comps etc.

I still don't understand why they didn't go with whoever has the most ticks instead of percentages. Yeah draws will still probably happen but the percentages thing just makes it worse I think

I'd prefer the ticks, too.

Ticks are already a milestone and prevent the scenario where someone could backdoor cap a point that doesn't have someone standing on it, since you have a response period. Fights could continue in natural, fun places.

The number of draws would be far fewer than before, but marginally higher than now. I'd be good with that.

Anything by Zowie, they use the same sensor so it's just a matter of your preferred form factor.

And along with the previously recommended Pro, the Logitech G403 is a good choice as well (and also comes with a wireless version as that seems to be what you're going for).

Not a big fan of PTT being on the mouse. It feels awkward to shoot and talk at the same time especially in big team fights where you're constantly calling out targets.

Not a big fan of PTT being on the mouse. It feels awkward to shoot and talk at the same time especially in big team fights where you're constantly calling out targets.

Where do you put it then? Anywhere else and I imagine it would interfere with movement, and you do need to talk and shoot sometimes.

Lucio's boop is so much more reliable now! The difference is night and day. Before the update I would boop someone and just hope it would actually register this time. Now after the update I can boop someone with confidence knowing it's going to work. Also, being able to boop someone straight up into the air, even on a map with no edges, is so much fun. "Back off Roadhog, have a nice flight!"

Fugu

Okay, so I had an afternoon off at work and decided to research Overwatch stuff.

What I learned is that most people with an 800dpi mouse (which I think is normal and what I have?) play at around 7 sensitivity. I watched videos of Skyline where he shows the real goals in setting your sensitivity and what you want in terms of aiming, and holy crap I've been doing it wrong all along. My sensitivity is at 15, and outside of my pretty stellar ability to whip my mouse around and snipe people with Roadhog it is holding me back, I think. I can't do any kind of sustained DPS on a target with Soldier because my aiming is so jittery. I thought I just sucked at aiming, but now I think that having my sensitivity at double what it "should" be (I have to experiment and find what works for me) is part of why I'm struggling to make gains in competitive play.

All of this will take time for me to adjust, but if there's one thing I learned from fighting games it's that my equipment really makes a difference in how well I play, and I want to fix that.

I also got a new router so my wireless stops dropping every few hours.

Thanks for explaining!
A few things:

First of all, playing with an unreasonably high sensitivity is a very common mistake and, I think, a major reason why some people get stuck at lower ranks. You simply can't play well with a sensitivity that high because it is so far out of the realm of acceptability for what you need to do in an FPS.

A good rule of thumb for determining a good sensitivity is that it should be as low as you can possibly go while still being able to move comfortably. 7@800 is a common number for OW but is a number that I would consider high for FPS (although I come from Quake, which is particularly notorious for demanding aim and low sensitivity). I personally use anywhere from 4 to 6 @ 400 dpi and I would probably go lower if I had a bigger mousepad.

When you switch to a lower sensitivity, you will probably have some difficulty aiming at first; that'll go away pretty quickly though. Lowering sensitivity basically produces better aim: If you imagine the parts of the screen that you want to click on as being mapped, physically, to your mousepad, then lowering the sensitivity increases the size of the area on the mousepad that you can put the mouse and still hit your target.

There are some techniques conducive to building good muscle memory with the mouse. The main one I'd say is that you want to avoid picking up your mouse as much as possible, so you should do whatever you need to do to make that happen.

As for equipment, there are many very cheap and very good options out there. FPSes are a bit odd in that the only thing you really need your mouse to have is a reliable sensor since you only really need two buttons. Because of this, there are some very cheap mice being used at very high levels. Perhaps the most stark example of this is the Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1a, long known as one of the best mice for FPS and readily available for about $20. I use a couple of mice, but the main one is a Logitech MX510, which is a cousin of the 518 and a mouse that's no less good for FPS than it was when it was released fifteen years ago. A side note on the MX5xx series is that they have some angle snapping (minutely squiggly lines will be made straight), which some people don't like, although you'd be hard-pressed to notice it if you didn't know it was there.

Yes, you can spend more money on a mouse and you might get something out of it, but becuase FPSes tend to require the use of a small number of buttons and are typically played with a low dpi the feature set you need is readily available on a lot of very cheap mice.

MG310

Overheard in chat last night "Our Zen (me) is acting like a DPS not a healer"

I was getting double teamed by a Tracer and a Sombra on my way back to the point.

jviggy43

Overheard in chat last night "Our Zen (me) is acting like a DPS not a healer"

I was getting double teamed by a Tracer and a Sombra on my way back to the point.

Not saying this is you, but I fucking hate seeing a zen just shooting orbs and neglecting people who need healing. Used to play with a guy who was awesome as dps with zen but literally never threw out healing.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Not saying this is you, but I fucking hate seeing a zen just shooting orbs and neglecting people who need healing. Used to play with a guy who was awesome as dps with zen but literally never threw out healing.

It would be better to stop treating Zen as a healer, since he's barely one. And treat him more like a dps who dabs in healing. If someone goes Zen, the other healer has to pick up the slack. Typically forcing the other healer to be either Mercy or Ana. Since Lucio can't burst heal to save tanks.

antitrop

It would be better to stop treating Zen as a healer, since he's barely one. And treat him more like a dps who dabs in healing

I think Zen's healing potential is vastly underrated.

This is my average healing with each support in Competitive this season

Mercy:
lWTuzC9.png

Lucio:
p29Bq5X.png

Ana:
4djI2dt.png

Zen:
c8cGtqJ.png

Zen is not that much behind the rest, even if some of it comes from his Ult. I'm still getting about 8k healing average just from the Harmony Orb alone.

jviggy43

It would be better to stop treating Zen as a healer, since he's barely one. And treat him more like a dps who dabs in healing. If someone goes Zen, the other healer has to pick up the slack. Typically forcing the other healer to be either Mercy or Ana. Since Lucio can't burst heal to save tanks.

Not that I disagree at all, but nevertheless he should be throwing out that orb first and then going to town with the discord and dps.

GeeTeeCee

Does Mystery Heroes feature any kind of team balancing whatsoever? I've been playing the mode almost exclusively since the event started and haven't had a single win at all. Every Attack round is an unsuccessful slog, every Defence an effortlessly quick win for the attackers.

I really wish it was possible to earn the Arcade wins loot boxes in Quick Play too, because this neverending losing streak is horrible. I used to enjoy this mode.

Top Bottom