• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

darklin0

Banned
LfaGdBq.png
It is chats like this that keep me going.

Zen Aku

GAF I made it to Master!

Played with my two friends again tonight. The highest I got to was 3542. I ended up dropping back down to 3495 because of three games. Two with derankers on our team and one against an entire team who deranked from GM all the way down to Diamonds.

Still I'm pretty damn happy I made it to Master. 2 seasons ago I would only dream to make it out of Gold and hopefully Platinum.

KuroNeeko

Who do you like to play?

Who do you play?

Since I only have about 24 hours worth of playtime or so, I'm still learning the characters, but I keep going back to Mercy, D.Va, Sombra, Sym, Zen and I guess Mei at times. Probably in about that order, though the first three shift around a bit.

I'd like to be good at Widowmaker as well, but not enough to put in the effort on console. lol

To be honest, I'm not worried too much about compositions and whatnot at the lofty rank of 1000 ~ 1100. Just concentrating on learning tactical awareness, when to engage and not, how to work with other people on the team, when use to use ultras and other basic stuff. ^^

GAF I made it to Master!

Gratz, mayne!

KuroNeeko

Has anyone had success using Widowmaker on console?

Realistically, I'm never going to be a high-tier player, but can someone put time in on her and still contribute to the team in lower / mid-tiers?

Zen Aku

Has anyone had success using Widowmaker on console?

Realistically, I'm never going to be a high-tier player, but can someone put time in on her and still contribute to the team in lower / mid-tiers?

From someone who only play console for years (10 years) before I built my first gaming PC. Now I spend most of my gaming on PC with some exclusives on PS4.

I can't even play Overwatch with a controller anymore. I picked it up for the first time a week ago and I was absolutely terrible with every character. Which is funny considering I thought I would never get used to playing FPS with a keyboard and mouse. But here we are.

You can definitely make an impact as a Widow if you're "good". See with me? I'm not what I call an "aim base" player. My aim isn't as good as my DPS friends. I know that's my weakness, but my strength is in positioning and strategy. So I play heroes that can amplify my strength like Lucio and Zen. I also play Mercy because I like to support.

With Lucio and Zen, I can get away with not having great aim with most of the time because my role isn't to get the impact frag. I just need to do my job to support, call out lit target and position myself where I can be useful to the team and every now and then get a kill. Their projectiles allow me to spam, increase my chances of damaging someone.

I don't play Widow, Hanzo or McCree because if you missed, the enemies will punish you hard. I'll play Soldier or Reaper if need be. Also why I don't snipe in CSGO either.

So you just gotta ask yourself, is my strength based on aim? If so maybe you can practice with widow and improve. Cause lets me tell you, nothing scared me more than a widow that can hit her shots. You can single handedly provide a huge advantage for your team if you can kill someone at the beginning of every engagement. Even at lower tiers, if you can make it a 5v6. Chances are your team will win, since Overwatch rely so much on cooperation. Being down one person every fight is a nightmare.

NeoRaider

So i used to have pretty stable 60fps on my PC on Epic setting (everything maxed out). On all maps and all modes. Maybe few frames dropped when there is a lot going on, like Zarya's Ulti, but nothing major. But after the latest patch, performance on King's Row became worse compared to the rest of the maps, i had random fps drops all the time to 50-55. And for some reason on few other maps too.

So i lowered Local Fog Detail from Ultra to High, and Dynamic Reflections from High to Medium. That's all. And i don't have any fps drops anymore, even King's Row is stable 60fps now. Also my GPU temperatures are better.

I am not sure is this a known thing but Local Fog Detail and Dynamic Reflections are 2 most taxing effects in this game, that doesn't even make major visual difference when lowered to High or Medium compared to Ultra, but give nice performance boost. If some of you are having performance issues and can't have stable 60 or higher fps based on your monitor/TV i would suggest lowering these two settings.

Speaking of performance, does anyone else get a black screen on D.va occasionally, right before ejecting? It's like something gets in the way of the screen for a moment. IIRC I've only seen it when it D.va is moved while exiting the mech, like from a charge or hook, but it doesn't happen every time.

It's not gamebreaking or anything, just kinda jarring.

Edit: I see. Thanks, Anne!

Anne

Speaking of performance, does anyone else get a black screen on D.va occasionally, right before ejecting? It's like something gets in the way of the screen for a moment. IIRC I've only seen it when it D.va is moved while exiting the mech, like from a charge or hook, but it doesn't happen every time.

It's not gamebreaking or anything, just kinda jarring.

This is a known bug. It happens when D.Va's suit is killed by a melee attack.

LiK

This, the bonus SR nerf is real. No doubt about it, my win streaks mean very little now.

I think they still exist altho I think I remember reading that you need like 10+ straight wins to see major increases in SR which is probably pretty hard to do.

caesar

Banned
Hijacking this to ask: how those of you on PS4 use Discord? Do you have like a separate pc running for that? Do you have team comms on headphones and other sound from a different source? I'm a bit confused as I only have my PS4 hooked up where I am playing.

Edit. Oh, Android app. Feeling dumb / old

The ps4 guys dont use discord really. Its mainly for pc

Cappa

Banned
Hijacking this to ask: how those of you on PS4 use Discord? Do you have like a separate pc running for that? Do you have team comms on headphones and other sound from a different source? I'm a bit confused as I only have my PS4 hooked up where I am playing.

Edit. Oh, Android app. Feeling dumb / old
PS4 has party system etc so no need for discord.

We communicate here or via psn messenger mostly.

We do use discord from time to time but not when in game
This season? I just hit 3400 yesterday, aren't you around 3K?
Na everyone dropped out of diamond and/or are using alts that are also not in diamond lol.

I think i may be the only one in our "regular group" who is in diamond right now. Until you hit master we only need to be within 1k so I don't think it's an issue yet lol

LiK

Scrub's alt is like 3200+ now from playing with us last night. Soon he will hit Masters and all the Plat bros will have to say goodbye to him.

13randO

GAF I made it to Master!

Played with my two friends again tonight. The highest I got to was 3542. I ended up dropping back down to 3495 because of three games. Two with derankers on our team and one against an entire team who deranked from GM all the way down to Diamonds.

Still I'm pretty damn happy I made it to Master. 2 seasons ago I would only dream to make it out of Gold and hopefully Platinum.

Nice! I play with a friend in mid gold, and I go in and out of diamond every so often. Hope to climb to Masters at some point or another. Congratz!

The ps4 guys dont use discord really. Its mainly for pc

PS4 has party system etc so no need for discord.

We communicate here or via psn messenger mostly.

We do use discord from time to time but not when in game

Na everyone dropped out of diamond and/or are using alts that are also not in diamond lol.

I think i may be the only one in our "regular group" who is in diamond right now. Until you hit master we only need to be within 1k so I don't think it's an issue yet lol

I see. I suppose it's different timezones and score, and / or everyone has their squads already at this point because it seems quiet when I've asked around.

It's a good thing that batman likes to play Lucio too because sooner or later I know that I'm gonna get bored. We have to win as much as we can now so we can mitigate what's going to happen when that time comes.

xD

I love playing Lucio so whenever you guys don't feel like dropping the beat, feel free to put me in coach.

I think for PS4GAF comp my preferred characters are 76/Tracer for DPS, DVa/Winston for Tank, and Lucio/Ana for Support. I just can't handle being the only person going after a good Pharmercy as 76.

Really want to get better as Pharah and Orissa, though.

LiK

I love playing Lucio so whenever you guys don't feel like dropping the beat, feel free to put me in coach.

I think for PS4GAF comp my preferred characters are 76/Tracer for DPS, DVa/Winston for Tank, and Lucio/Ana for Support. I just can't handle being the only person going after a good Pharmercy as 76.

Really want to get better as Pharah and Orissa, though.

Pharmercy is just a pain in the ass. As Soldier in our group, she's doubly annoying being boosted. You need to hope someone else on your team is gonna help out or else it's just death especially if that Pharah is focus firing on you as Soldier for the entire match making you useless.

Pharmercy is just a pain in the ass. As Soldier in our group, she's doubly annoying being boosted. You need to hope someone else on your team is gonna help out or else it's just death especially if that Pharah is focus firing on you as Soldier for the entire match making you useless.

I've actually found I do better as McCree against Pharah in those situations because I can land three or four shots on her easier than with the burst fire - the problem is I'm ass with McCree dealing with anyone else.

I've actually found I do better as McCree against Pharah in those situations because I can land three or four shots on her easier than with the burst fire - the problem is I'm ass with McCree dealing with anyone else.
This is totally me. I have so much trouble shooting high in the air with soldier for some reason

LiK

I've gotten better as McCree recently. But def won't be switching to him in Comp unless the Pharah player is completely destroying my ass for the whole match. If there's a Zen in our team, just need them to Discord and help shoot her down.

It is chats like this that keep me going.

One of my matches last night had an enemy team that did nothing but argue. Half of them stopped playing because one dude was named ELMEXICANO and someone started calling him racial slurs. I reported the guy and enjoyed the free win as their team trickled in 1 by 1 until the game was done.

Then I got placed on their team next match. -_-

komaruR

Pooh is a better choice for being Zen because he's vocal to call out the discord compare to Lik when its silent :p

Pooh needs to upload some of his Zen gameplay last night! I want to see!

As for Mccree, if a Zen body guards a mccree and call out discord for mccree, he's deadly. Still pharmercy is a pain regardless because he gets usually get 2 (3)shotted and harmoney orb doesnt heal fast enough unless mccree has cover to recover enough hp to go at pharmercy again.

PrePharah height boost buff, mccree is always my goto hero to kill pharah. 3shots or 2 with hs. pharah was never out of dmg drop off range so its so good to easily kill her.

They should. Don't have to ingame though but there's good discussion. Lik and Pooh have both popped in to discuss comps and what each of them are comfortable playing as.
I think you mean me! and Pooh

LiK

Pooh is a better choice for being Zen because he's vocal to call out the discord compare to Lik when its silent :p

As for Mccree, if a Zen body guards a mccree and call out discord for mccree, he's deadly. Still pharmercy is a pain regardless because he gets usually get 2 (3)shotted and harmoney orb doesnt heal fast enough unless mccree has cover to recover enough hp to go at pharmercy again.

PrePharah height boost buff, mccree is always my goto hero to kill pharah. 3shots or 2 with hs. pharah was never out of dmg drop off range so its so good to easily kill her.

tbh, I never pay attention to people calling out Discords. It's just more noise in comms, lol. If I see the Discord visual on an enemy, I'll try shooting there anyway.

I got a guy to platinum by going Pharah on Nepal and their Zen and Ana ignored me because they had to keep their Symmetra alive so I got to blow people up.

Although our Mercy held rez way too long most times, it really made the match more tense than it needed to be. 2-2, 99-99 percent on overtime and three of us die on point and Mercy still hasn't rezzed.

My death timer is at like 3 and I shout on the mic for Mercy to rez cause I have ult.

Like, is it hard to press Tab and see who's dead and who's alive?

rein, osira, dva, mccree (also S76), and pharah. and i was the only support (mercy) on volskaya.

3 tanks. i had to prioritize and not pocket that Pharah. i needed my tanks to keep me alive. i'm glad the other team didn't focus me. i'm not even sure the enemy realizedd i was the only healer lmao.

the other team had a mercy and lucio.

We
won

carry me team.

also.

We had a match on hanamura. lets just say we only managed 3.5% on Point A and had to defend. thank god the other team wasn't coordinated (lol we were the less bad team on attack). we held that point and won.

komaruR

tbh, I never pay attention to people calling out Discords. It's just more noise in comms, lol. If I see the Discord visual on an enemy, I'll try shooting there anyway.

o and you left that psn group chat! you should stay and chat there so that when you msg, it won't be only 1 person seeing it :p

LiK

o and you left that psn group chat! you should stay and chat there so that when you msg, it won't be only 1 person seeing it :p

No offense to everyone there, but I can't stand message alerts constantly popping up when I'm playing other games. I had to bail on a Destiny PSN group as well because of this. It's very distracting. I'd rather you guys use Discord. :)

Jellie

I think you mean me! and Pooh

Nah Lik was on it last week. Should be you, Lik and Pooh.

Cappa

Banned
No offense to everyone there, but I can't stand message alerts constantly popping up when I'm playing other games. I had to bail on a Destiny PSN group as well because of this. It's very distracting. I'd rather you guys use Discord. :)
You're very anti social for a very socially focused multi-player game lol.

I think you can disable notifications when you are in game no? I find it annoying to but I thibk it's disabled for me and I have psn messenger app so it goes straight to my phone. No need for discord.

Top Bottom