• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

HMD

82 elims as Pharah, 53 solo kills, and we still lost. I literally carried the team through two KOTH rounds and that still wasn't enough. I'm so fucking done with playing Pharmercy. I carry the games but rarely ever win. I'll just stick to safe picks like Rein and Soldier.

Banzai

Overwatch |OT| switched to 10ji (was 9yatta)

Lesson of yesterday's matches:
It's amazing how much more fun the game can be without any Mercys.

Mutombo

82 elims as Pharah, 53 solo kills, and we still lost. I literally carried the team through two KOTH rounds and that still wasn't enough. I'm so fucking done with playing Pharmercy. I carry the games but rarely ever win. I'll just stick to safe picks like Rein and Soldier.

Good. The amount of times I've said to my friends: medals don't mean shit if we don't win, are uncountable.

Then again: on console a Pharmacy really does win games on my level because people can't aim for shit. Neither can I.

LiK

Mayhem was fun tonight. Joined a group and I destroyed as Zarya again. Barely died.

Pretty good mode in terms just learning to be fast cuz it gets chaotic and you're aiming all over the place, hehe

Got two lootboxes and dupes as usual.

Trickster

If you go Mercy and you only get off 1 res in a round (and only ressed one person) don't go Mercy..

I do that sometimes honestly. Not because I don't want to res people. I often sit and hide waiting for the opportune moment to do a res, only to have some teamates die far from the main battle, or for the fight to be very drawn out and never having more than one ressable target, in those situations I often end up not using my res because it seems like it'll be wasted

Jblanks

I do that sometimes honestly. Not because I don't want to res people. I often sit and hide waiting for the opportune moment to do a res, only to have some teamates die far from the main battle, or for the fight to be very drawn out and never having more than one ressable target, in those situations I often end up not using my res because it seems like it'll be wasted

The guy kept going into fights with res, it was pretty ridiculous. It was Illios Ruins, hard to not die close together.

For the last 3 hours I keep asking myself why I'm playing still.

Enter a competitive game. Defending Hanamura. Soldier 76, Hanzo and Genji have already been picked, because of course. Someone else is frantically clicking Reinhardt. I go Mercy figuring no one else will go support. The last guy choose Reaper. The guy clicking Reinhardt says "For fuck sake guys, we really need a couple of tanks". He then goes on to select Junkrat.

Weirdly enough we lost that game.

I've also just come up against a guy with a gold portrait and 5 stars, that's my first time I've ever seen a gold frame. Checked their stats. They've put in more hours as Hanzo in QP than I've put into the entire game. Absolutely mental.

Mercy just needs a mid air nerf. Pharmercy is such a fucking pain in the ass. Sometimes it's fun to counter certain comps, but I honestly never find it satisfying or fun to beat Pharmercy (when I actually do)

This is all console and Diamond rank btw, I doubt there are any here on that platform in that range who would disagree.

Mercy just needs a mid air nerf. Pharmercy is such a fucking pain in the ass. Sometimes it's fun to counter certain comps, but I honestly never find it satisfying or fun to beat Pharmercy (when I actually do)

This is all console and Diamond rank btw, I doubt there are any here on that platform in that range who would disagree.

I'd be all for a travel distance/increased cooldown/both nerf for her glide ability. Still wouldn't change the fact that her ultimate is bullshit and can only be countered by finding the enemy Mercy playing hide and seek.

Edit: Just saw this, such a smart play. Didn't even know medpacks could be hacked with the EMP lol. https://clips.twitch.tv/LivelyPoorOctopusVoteYea

Banzai

Every fight with a Mercy on the enemy team is about using resources (~players) to find and kill her. If you do manage to kill her first, 1 of 3 things can happen:

-your team loses the fight because you were basically down 1-2 people that are off finding Mercy
-your team has trouble winning the fight because again they were down some members. The fight takes too long, a respawned Mercy walks back and uses Rez
-you win the fight because by some miracle your 4-5 teammates managed to win the fight by themselves, probably burning every single ult at their exposal

I mean you could call that usage of ults and players as strategic, sure. I just find it unfun.

My fix for Mercy: Take away her ability to fly to corpses. Make her walk into a fight to rez.

Cappa

Banned

I think what Anne suggested with dva works alot even on consoles . I've had lots of success recently harassing pharmercy while my team takes care of the others it's essentially a 5 v 4. Since with dva you are taking on a 2 v 1.

Just have your healers be attentive to you from time to time having a zenyatta works great because he can orb you from range and also discord Pharah. Also if your team gets picks early enough in the fight it's much easier to deal with Pharah.

I mean it's not a fool proof plan but dva even on console works wonders against pharmercy.
Question about Zarya ult + Dva bomb ult. in this video, https://youtu.be/cqbH98jOxQM, Reinhardt is in some of those ult bombs with his shield. Did he just not block it with his shield or what?
I think if his shield was low already it breaks as if it were never up to begin with.

I'm on the verge of being a Pharah one trick. I feel like I'm doing a lot of stuff with the character that others aren't and, while I'm pretty good at some other characters, I'm hitting above my weight class as Pharah to a much greater extent.

Do you need someone to help you protect the skies?

Is there any reason there's an absolute tidal wave of torb/sombra insta-locks this season in competitive? I'm guessing some pro player is responsible for making them super popular this go around? Just sort of surprised at the amount of people playing these characters like they have something to prove.

I think what Anne suggested with dva works alot even on consoles . I've had lots of success recently harassing pharmercy while my team takes care of the others it's essentially a 5 v 4. Since with dva you are taking on a 2 v 1.

Just have your healers be attentive to you from time to time having a zenyatta works great because he can orb you from range and also discord Pharah. Also if your team gets picks early enough in the fight it's much easier to deal with Pharah.

I mean it's not a fool proof plan but dva even on console works wonders against pharmercy.

I think if his shield was low already it breaks as if it were never up to begin with.
I actually told told Owzers and Pinku almost exactly this earlier. Just get Dva, let her distract/neutralize Pharmercy for the duration of a 4v5 team fight and then we'll clean it up afterwards. You just have to stay steadfast that Dva won't turn away, and the Soldier on the team won't stop what he's doing and shoot at Pharmercy. Great in theory, probably won't be flawless in action. But I think it will definitely help.

Still hate it, but I do think that's our best bet.

LiK

I actually told told Owzers and Pinku almost exactly this earlier. Just get Dva, let her distract/neutralize Pharmercy for the duration of a 4v5 team fight and then we'll clean it up afterwards. You just have to stay steadfast that Dva won't turn away, and the Soldier on the team won't stop what he's doing and shoot at Pharmercy. Great in theory, probably won't be flawless in action. But I think it will definitely help.

Still hate it, but I do think that's our best bet.

It's tough cuz you're ignoring everyone else on enemy team while dealing with Pharmercy exclusively. Another reason I find it so irritating.

Fugu

A D.Va that isn't utterly wasting her resources is going to tie up Pharmercy very well. Under normal circumstances, it is effectively impossible for Pharah to kill D.Va and Mercy is eventually going to have to move on to someone else in order to be useful to the team; D.Va can then either kill Pharah or do team things.

It's telling that the best counterplay for Pharah against D.Va is to get away from her. I mean, it works a lot of the time, but it's pretty indicative.

On KotH Hog is also very good against Pharah provided you can aim.

Chance

Noooo if Rein' shield has 1 hp it can block an entire D.Va ult/Pulse Bomb. The one time the Rein wasn't slept, they were mid-air in a Zarya ult and she put it directly below them. He didn't have (or couldn't position) his shield at the right angle to block it.

I really wish Overwatch would allow a filter where there's another class of player, where the player uses a mic > 50% of the time in competetive. Clearly, they know when the mic is active or not. I know some people opt out of the mic for family reasons on occasion, but it's really, really annoying to go game after game with no mics and no coordination.

A good Tracer is something every team should have.

I was in a game yesterday where we got absolutely destroyed by a Tracer. I could just about mange to put my discord orb on her before she blapsed me. Over and over and over. Very disheartening.

Right! I thought. This is the time for me to learn Tracer. Away I went to Quick Play. Attacking Gibraltar.

5 eliminations. 8 deaths.

I don't think this is the role for me. I'd love to be a good Tracer, nothing would make me happier in this game, but I'd be very surprised if I was to ever reach the competent stage let alone anything more.

Chance

I was in a game yesterday where we got absolutely destroyed by a Tracer. I could just about mange to put my discord orb on her before she blapsed me. Over and over and over. Very disheartening.

Right! I thought. This is the time for me to learn Tracer. Away I went to Quick Play. Attacking Gibraltar.

5 eliminations. 8 deaths.

I don't think this is the role for me. I'd love to be a good Tracer, nothing would make me happier in this game, but I'd be very surprised if I was to ever reach the competent stage let alone anything more.

Once you hit competent, she's insanely fun! And you should have a lot of fun moments on the way to competent

Why does Blizzard hate us Hog mains?

Oh, it's because hook is fucking bullshit. Next on the docket: scatter arrow.

Overwatch I OT10 I The T-Racer With The Golden Gun

Overwatch I OT10 I Your doom, make room!

Overwatch I OT10 I Diamonds Are (Diamond) Forever....

Tis all I got...

Water

I really wish Overwatch would allow a filter where there's another class of player, where the player uses a mic > 50% of the time in competetive. Clearly, they know when the mic is active or not. I know some people opt out of the mic for family reasons on occasion, but it's really, really annoying to go game after game with no mics and no coordination.

Also language filters, or a way to queue up as if you were in another region. It doesn't help me that someone's on the mic if all they know is Russian or German.

Playing from Finland around SR 1500-2000, I pretty much never hear anyone in comp. When I do, half of the time it's not in English. And out of the ones trying to speak English, many aren't exactly succeeding, or have a mic so bad that it seriously hurts my comprehension.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
since this game was pretty cheap now i decided to give it a shot. couple questions:

is the practice vs. ai as useless as it appears? i don't think it's possible to lose, regardless of your team. the first couple times i tried i thought i was hot shit, but then realised it's just piss easy.

then i tried quick play, and my team always loses. i play mainly as lucio because i am not good at shooting things and figured healing would be the way to go. at the end of the round i am always top healer (but i don't think anyone else ever heals so wtf) and have a ton of team damage taken as % (is that even good? shouldn't that be the tank?), but it doesn't seem to matter much. is quick play mainly luck of the draw and it depends on what kind of team you get?

MGrant

since this game was pretty cheap now i decided to give it a shot. couple questions:

is the practice vs. ai as useless as it appears? i don't think it's possible to lose, regardless of your team. the first couple times i tried i thought i was hot shit, but then realised it's just piss easy.

then i tried quick play, and my team always loses. i play mainly as lucio because i am not good at shooting things and figured healing would be the way to go. at the end of the round i am always top healer (but i don't think anyone else ever heals so wtf) and have a ton of team damage taken as % (is that even good? shouldn't that be the tank?), but it doesn't seem to matter much. is quick play mainly luck of the draw and it depends on what kind of team you get?

Practice vs. AI is really just to learn the basics of a hero. Quick play is for practicing your skills. Competitive is where actual strategy and teamwork come into play.

Sane_Man

Every single time I get a fucking legendary it's not an event one. I'm so tired of this bullshit. At least give me dance emotes.

Yeah I was surprised too. I know the range is 15m, but I don't think it's that wide with the shape of a cone. Always assumed it was more like a cylinder.

Quoting myself, just tested this on practice range with the two bots that are firing, the representation of the DM range in that video is completely wrong. It's more like this (red lines):

A3gIjwp.png

Paint skills

Enter a competitive game. Defending Hanamura. Soldier 76, Hanzo and Genji have already been picked, because of course. Someone else is frantically clicking Reinhardt. I go Mercy figuring no one else will go support. The last guy choose Reaper. The guy clicking Reinhardt says "For fuck sake guys, we really need a couple of tanks". He then goes on to select Junkrat.

Weirdly enough we lost that game.

I've also just come up against a guy with a gold portrait and 5 stars, that's my first time I've ever seen a gold frame. Checked their stats. They've put in more hours as Hanzo in QP than I've put into the entire game. Absolutely mental.

Had a similar thing happen in Quick Play. Our Mercy, the only one apparently on mic, goes "I think we need another healer or at least another tank guys, thanks." Not only were we winning the entire time, the guy actually switches his pick to play as Symmetra 5 minutes after asking for another healer/tank.

This talk about tanks makes me remember a game in eichenwalde in my last placements with my team attacking, pharah/mercy picked, I pick Rein, another goes lucio and the two remaining randoms go tracer/genji. I immediately switch off to winston, and the tracer player goes into my face and starts selecting/deselecting Rein telling me to pick that instead.

This was a ~3700 game. I mean...

0mw1I8e.gif

Mr Git

Here is an excellent D.Va guide for anyone looking to improve at her this season. Guide was made a few days ago too.

https://youtu.be/rD4W361QmAc

Ace thanks for this - appreciated the ult advice - I'm already doing the vast majority of the other tips and have become pretty good with her but always felt my ult usage was mostly shite. Got a double boop last night on lighthouse - their Lucio and Mercy. Recorded that.

Top Bottom