• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch's Laughably Convenient Ageism / Sexism

Orayn

Wow.

You can't make every game include every group of people as playable characters.

Blizzard stated that they're trying to make Overwatch's cast diverse and inclusive, nothing wrong with pointing out ways they could do an even better job.

Dreavus

And i'm sure introducing a older female character would bring that whole thing down, people would burn down their copies, riot on the streets, stop playing completely I'd bet.
Or you know, it would sell just as much or more?

You also forget my entire point. Their "initial creative vision" was created from the beggining to be appealing to a audience. Again, not made in a vacuum.

I think it's fine to cheer for characters of this type to be added in subsequent updates, which is why I think this discussion has it's purpose, but bemoaning the fact that the current cast includes no older ladies isn't very productive IMO, especially when most of them (aside from Mei) are well justified (contrary to what the OP argues). At that point, your options are to try and peer behind the veil and guess at who could've been "made older" (and go against the character's intended design) or cut characters to fit in others that satisfy this condition. Both of these options I am not thrilled about and both attempt to force the developer's hand in a strange way.

Going forward I'd be totally fine with a new character that happens to be a female robot or middle aged women. I'm not a fan of tinkering with the current cast in an attempt to diversify though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's obvious the Overwatch organization has ageist hiring practices. This is all part of the deep lore.

(I cut them some slack for this because they already did a good job of diversification although if Sombra is a nubile 50 year old underneath her armor I'm going to roll my eyes pretty hard.)

Venfayth

Blizzard stated that they're trying to make Overwatch's cast diverse and inclusive, nothing wrong with pointing out ways they could do an even better job.

Is that what this thread is about? It reads more like a polemic on Blizzard because they have some secret agenda to make all women attractive. Way less constructive, although admittedly more attention-grabbing. So maybe more effective?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The Last Remnant.

This is Emmy Honeywell

This is her mom Emma (the one who i posted before)

As you can see they literally have the same body.

Its not an age thing in my opinion because it doesn't look out of place.
But it is a design thing. They could have changed one of them somewhat.

I kind of feel like it's the other way around. They didn't make Emma look like Emmy, in that they gave her the same body as Emmy; they clearly just copied Emmy from Emma. Emmy is barely even a character. It's extremely obvious that Emmy only exists for gameplay reasons,
since Emma dies fighting the main villain and you need a replacement

JP_

Banned
I think it's fine to cheer for characters of this type to be added in subsequent updates, which is why I think this discussion has it's purpose, but bemoaning the fact that the current cast includes no older ladies isn't very productive IMO, especially when most of them (aside from Mei) are well justified (contrary to what the OP argues). At that point, your options are to try and peer behind the veil and guess at who could've been "made older" (and go against the character's intended design) or cut characters to fit in others that satisfy this condition. Both of these options I am not thrilled about and both attempt to force the developer's hand in a strange way.

Going forward I'd be totally fine with a new character that happens to be a female robot or middle aged women. I'm not a fan of tinkering with the current cast in an attempt to diversify though.

Criticism is a natural part of the feedback loop in games. Nobody is forcing the devs to do anything. I don't even see people suggesting they should edit current characters after the fact -- I see people suggesting the characters should have been different from the start. The game's story goes out of its way to make the female characters young when they're clearly fine with older male characters and it's completely valid to criticize that. Same thing goes for non-human characters being exclusively male for some reason.

MUnited83

For you.

If you read the OP what gets bemoaned is the contrived reasons that they wrote for almost all of the female characters to keep them all young. I'm fine with the character's designs as they are, but the reasoning on the writing is really bad.

Wild Card

yes, it's very common in fighting games too. I used this as part of an essay I did for uni.

Female characters in games are, most of the time, some variation of the hourglass form. Whereas male characters can be conventionally attractive, can be roided out, can be hugely overweight, can be grotesquely shaped.

It's very obvious in Street Fighter V:

The entire cast is incredibly muscular, but notice the male body shapes vs. the female body shapes. If you removed their identifying character traits, the women would appear the same while the men would not.

Is that why I remember all that praise for the women and thier builds when they were revealed, cuz I'm pretty sure I remember that.

Anyways, this is WaifuWatch, I'm sure Blizzard knew exactly what they were doing.

Dreavus

Is that what this thread is about? It reads more like a polemic on Blizzard because they have some secret agenda to make all women attractive. Way less constructive, although admittedly more attention-grabbing. So maybe more effective?

I agree. The tone of the thread seems to suggest that the diversity already present in Overwatch is somehow undermined by this insidious thread of ageism.

I prefer a more positive spin on it myself; that there is always room going forward (especially given the current rumored characters).

Wavebossa

I kind of feel like it's the other way around. They didn't make Emma look like Emmy, in that they gave her the same body as Emmy; they clearly just copied Emmy from Emma. Emmy is barely even a character. It's extremely obvious that Emmy only exists for gameplay reasons,
since Emma dies fighting the main villain and you need a replacement

Oh yeah i fully agree. It reminds me of something from Legend of Dragoon...
But yeah, Emma was the real MVP

/derail over

Really? Shit, you must be completely abstaining from gaming as a whole, then.

Overwatch's treatment of women is better than 95% of what's out there right now, so I'm guessing you're either a hypocrite or a liar.

Okay my post was pretty bad and maybe I should explain.
It feels like they're doing a good job in making Overwatch diverse in a lot of ways, but at the same time with threads like these, it seems like the job could've been a lot better and maybe Blizzard didn't of it in the first place with people pointing out the flaws a lot more. It seems I hear more saying they need to do a lot more, which made me write my post in the first place.
I apologize for my post.

Wavebossa

I was thinking of that as well. Blizzard design in general suffers from the "babeification" of female non-humans.

Eh... but they also "manify" non-humans.
Like a male tuaren has just as many human features as a female tauren.
Its not like the male tauren looks like a bull walking around on all fours

I think Blizzard (at least in WoW) gives both genders equal treatment when giving them human features.

Harlequin

To be fair, many of these female characters are actually as old as some of their male counterparts so it's not like they'd be shoe-horning older women into the game, they're there. If anything, the excuses for why they haven't aged feel more shoe-horned and forced than anything else (at least if the descriptions in the OP are accurate, I haven't played the game myself).

Perona

If you read the OP what gets bemoaned is the contrived reasons that they wrote for almost all of the female characters to keep them all young. I'm fine with the character's designs as they are, but the reasoning on the writing is really bad.

Literally the only one who is older than she looks is Mei (who was always designed to be a young-looking character from the start). Tracer was gone for one year and I don't even know where OP got that Widowmaker thing from.

I wouldn't mind the inclusion of a wider age range, but people spouting off about how happy they are they didn't purchase the game because of this "issue" are grasping at straws.

Fjordson

I think Blizzard (at least in WoW) gives both genders equal treatment when giving them human features.
Yeah, WoW is pretty good about that imo. Female Orcs are plenty "Orcish". Same goes for female Dwarves and Tauren.

Wavebossa

To be fair, many of these female characters are actually as old as some of their male counterparts so it's not like they'd be shoe-horning older women into the game, they're there. If anything, the excuses for why they haven't aged feel more shoe-horned and forced than anything else (at least if the descriptions in the OP are accurate, I haven't played the game myself).

If by many you mean one...

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I'm glad OP brought this to light.

Be that as it may, I'm of the minority who thinks Mercy does look her age. Although I don't have the game atm, she's the one character that stands out to me the most because she gives off an air of an older woman. She's no barbie, but she's pleasing to the eye anyway. I can easily believe she's anywhere between the age of 35 - 40.

What I'm saying is, I don't know where people get this idea that women over 35 suddenly start looking like they are in their 50's. Where is everyone looking for references?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the expectation that women and men over 35 should be married with kids, thus reducing their attainability/desirability? It's an assumption on my part but with some consideration, it makes sense. Between 35-40, people are urged to settle down and have families.

Shit, could that be why the fandom thinks of Mercy as the mom of Overwatch? Because she's at the "mom age"?

Izayoi

Banned
In the grand scheme of things, at least in terms of videogame logic, it's really not that bad. Cryostasis and time travel are pretty inoffensive in terms of logic leaps.

You could argue that the writing could avoid the excuses altogether, but as they currently are, I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the explanations.

The world is set in the far future, where both of these explanations are perfectly reasonable.

Okay my post was pretty bad and maybe I should explain.
It feels like they're doing a good job in making Overwatch diverse in a lot of ways, but at the same time with threads like these, it seems like the job could've been a lot better and maybe Blizzard didn't of it in the first place with people pointing out the flaws a lot more. It seems I hear more saying they need to do a lot more, which made me write my post in the first place.
I apologize for my post.
No need to apologize, but Blizzard's treatment of the issue is far more inclusive than pretty much everyone else in the arena right now. Overwatch is incredibly diverse compared to most videogames on the market right now.

JP_

Banned

24.jpg

In the Alpha version of the game, races such as the Tauren and the trolls had more similarity between genders than difference: facial structure, body shape, posture, and even choice of accessories were more similar than not (Fig. 8). Apparently there were many complaints about the women of both races being “ugly” and so the developers changed them into their current incarnations.

http://www.wired.com/2007/05/sexual_dimorphi/

3phemeral

In the grand scheme of things, at least in terms of videogame logic, it's really not that bad. Cryostasis and time travel are pretty inoffensive in terms of logic leaps.

You could argue that the writing could avoid the excuses altogether, but as they currently are, I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the explanations.

It's less "are these explanations believable within the context of a gaming universe" and more "why are these contrivances only employed when explaining their aesthetic choices for the women?"

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's more like, in this instance, they have perfectly valid reasons for representing older women but created convenient backstories to keep them younger than expected.

It's kinda like when someone has a young Hillary Clinton avatar instead of how she looks now.

Dali

I think an old female character like the Boss would have fit perfectly in the game. She could maybe have replaced soldier 76.

The world is set in the far future, where both of these explanations are perfectly reasonable.

No need to apologize, but Blizzard's treatment of the issue is far more inclusive than pretty much everyone else in the arena right now. Overwatch is incredibly diverse compared to most videogames on the market right now.

It really is and I hope they continue to work on it in both character and the abilities that is with the upcoming characters.

Just so I understand... In a heavily stylized game that features robots and a highly intelligent talking ape, the issue here is a lack of realistic aging on female characters?

Dreavus

If we agree the cast is pretty well designed as it is, then ragging on the designers for some exclusions puts them in an almost impossible spot. Should they have not written these backstories like this in order to include the requisite character types? Then we'd be changing/cutting/replacing their cast.

I disagree with the notion that the backstories are all contrived. In fact I think they are all quite well justified in-universe (except for Mei), and with only Zarya being somewhat arbitrary if we're looking for "reasons" why they might be "kept young".

Haly

Just so I understand... In a game that makes a point of being diverse, as evidenced by developer commentary and PR releases, the issue here is a lack of realistic aging on female characters?
Yeah.

CDV13

Just so I understand... In a heavily stylized game that features robots and a highly intelligent talking ape, the issue here is a lack of realistic aging on female characters?

Yes, that seems to be the "problem" presented in this thread. I can't believe my eyes either.

Perona

Even if Mei and Tracer didn't have story reasons keeping them from aging, neither of them would be older than Mercy (or Widowmaker).

redcrayon

I'm glad OP brought this to light.

Be that as it may, I'm of the minority who thinks Mercy does look her age. Although I don't have the game atm, she's the one character that stands out to me the most because she gives off an air of an older woman. She's no barbie, but she's pleasing to the eye anyway. I can easily believe she's anywhere between the age of 35 - 40.

What I'm saying is, I don't know where people get this idea that women over 35 suddenly start looking like they are in their 50's. Where is everyone looking for references?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the expectation that women and men over 35 should be married with kids, thus reducing their attainability/desirability? It's an assumption on my part but with some consideration, it makes sense. Between 35-40, people are urged to settle down and have families.

Shit, could that be why the fandom thinks of Mercy as the mom of Overwatch? Because she's at the "mom age"?
I think part of it is that it's a clean art style. For a male example, it's pretty obvious in Uncharted 4 vs 3 that Drake is slightly older, but it's in the details, I'm hard-pressed to put my finger on exactly what gives it away, from memory. A couple of tiny extra lines around the eyes maybe? If I look at a pic of myself from a decade ago (I'm 37 now), the differences are there, slightly less hair, a touch of grey when unshaven, an extra wrinkle on the forehead when I frown now. Subtle stuff, I still look like a fairly young adult, but a touch more 'seasoned' as I like to call it :)

On a cartoony art style, you can't use the receding hairline as easily on a late-30s woman as you can on a bloke and it's harder to use very subtle cues when you want to keep the art clean. So I think they fell back on the cartoon classics of defining youth through bigger, clearer eyes and smiling more. Mercy seem to squint more and looks more stern, which are the fairly subtle cues as to having her look older than Tracer.

LQX

I want to say age should not matter especially being that for the most part they all seem close in age but at the same time I sort of wish they had at-least included one black woman in the game. I give Overwatch a ton of credit for the diversity but once again like many others they forget black women.

Haly

I want to say age should not matter but at the same time I sort of wish they had at-least included one black woman in the game. I give Overwatch a ton of credit for the diversity but once again like many others they forget black women.
Er, Pharah?

Kinyou

While it seems an area Blizzard can improve on, I cut them some slack for making the game already so diverse. And after all are they going to keep adding characters

It's kinda like when someone has a young Hillary Clinton avatar instead of how she looks now.
9MAYwzI.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think the game needs more young male characters. Still working on that young Hanzo skin

Top Bottom