• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OWS shuts down Oakland port. 150 workers sent home without pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm thinking of the guy in the truck who isn't being paid - if he IS in a union, he really ought to take up this issue of not being paid due to circumstances beyond his control. I don't know any union workers who have to deal with that.

a lot of truckers are hired as independent contractors.

I work at a warehouse that stores products from the port of oakland, one of the carriers scheduled to bring in product today had to cancel because of the occupation

Gaborn

Actually according to this site which cites the IRS the longshoremen aren't even in the top 10% of wage earners:

Based on the Internal Revenue Service’s 2010 database below, here’s how much the top Americans make:

Top 1%: $380,354

Top 5%: $159,619

Top 10%: $113,799

Top 25%: $67,280

Top 50%: >$33,048

Maybe instead of "we are the 99%" they should go on about "we are the 85%" or whatever actual number they want to talk about hating.

Joates

Banned
I repeat, the top 1% make $380,354. The longshoremen are in the 99%

And because of this stupid movement, the people making 200K a year are pretty much on the same level as a single dad raising 2 kids making 32K a year.

Yay for a more polarized america!

The sooner this country quits separating shit in a black/white manner, and realizes there is a grey area, the better.

Gaborn

And because of this stupid movement, the people making 200K a year are pretty much on the same level as a single dad raising 2 kids making 32K a year.

Yay for a more polarized america!

Ideally. I bet if someone that made $300,000 a year went to one of their rallies and spoke though they'd be shouted down. This isn't about the "99%" this is people who like to protest protesting. They're idealistic and aren't tied down the way most people are. The longshoremen were going to work, maybe the protesters should think about that.

Joates

Banned
Ideally. I bet if someone that made $300,000 a year went to one of their rallies and spoke though they'd be shouted down. This isn't about the "99%" this is people who like to protest protesting. They're idealistic and aren't tied down the way most people are. The longshoremen were going to work, maybe the protesters should think about that.

I think what ties down a lot of people is a steady job....

Quick question: How many of these "idealists" quit their jobs (mcjobs dont count, sorry) to go join the movement?

Kapura

Banned
If you are retarded, I could see how you could relate the two...
well lets see:
-both protest in a mostly legal fashion
-everybody already knows what they have to say
-all they are doing currently is upsetting more people

I guess Westboro has a definitive message and agenda.

Touch

Why in the world would you do this shit at a port? Of all places a port? That's how you piss off the wrong people.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Nobody notices a movement that doesn't disturb people

Pretty much. No matter what you do it will have shitty outcomes, but it will get noticed. No matter what these OWS people do however it wont amount to shit compared to the lives being destroyed by the 1% assholes finding every which way to sink this country.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'm not going to speak for American longshoremen, but I know my that my father (who is a longshoreman here in Canada) may make over $100,000 on paper, a very large portion of that goes to taxes. Obviously it's different in the States, but still.
It's worth noting the longshoreman's union isn't representative of everyone working those docks. You have to log X amount of hours and all to have a shot at getting on the union's books. Even then you're not starting at $100k.

Derrick01

Banned
the top 1% in the US make $380,354. $100,000 earners are in the "99 Percent"

We need to edit this movement down to whatever it takes to include $100k people. I don't want to hear bitching from them.

Honestly you could include lower than that but just for now we'll keep it at $100k. No bitching about money from them!

Pretty much. No matter what you do it will have shitty outcomes, but it will get noticed. No matter what these OWS people do however it wont amount to shit compared to the lives being destroyed by the 1% assholes finding every which way to sink this country.

That sounds like a great path to go down! I can't imagine anything wrong or terrible that could result from that kind of logic!

Uncle

You have't heard of a strike? The only real playing card that employees have is to stop work. I admit it's a crude hammer and one too often used for not-great reasons.

Protest is having a similar effect.

So they are demanding better working conditions for these workers? Or is it still about noncoherent slogans and esoteric hand signals?

Slayven

I am shocked the Oakland guys took it. I mean you are in danger of getting shivved at a Raiders game.....by one of the cheerleaders.

DiscoJer

It's worth noting the longshoreman's union isn't representative of everyone working those docks. You have to log X amount of hours and all to have a shot at getting on the union's books. Even then you're not starting at $100k.

So it sounds like they should be protesting the union, then, for having such strict requirements to join.

This is what turns people away from the movement. It's exactly the ammunition the opposition needs to discredit it without actually addressing the real issues.

Joates

Banned
well lets see:
-both protest in a mostly legal fashion
-everybody already knows what they have to say
-all they are doing currently is upsetting more people

I guess Westboro has a definitive message and agenda.

If only every OWS protester was as eloquent as you, then they would topple the 1% through words alone. Words like retarded.

Likening a "movement" in this country protesting Corporate control of washington, to a bunch of fuckwads who spew hate and evil from their behind their "religious" guise, is, IMO, retarded.

Gaborn

We need to edit this movement down to whatever it takes to include $100k people. I don't want to hear bitching from them.

Honestly you could include lower than that but just for now we'll keep it at $100k. No bitching about money from them!

"I'll let you protest with us... unless you make more than an arbitrary round number I picked even though it's lower than the arbitrary percentage I chose that just sounded cool!"

Kapura

Banned
Likening a "movement" in this country protesting Corporate control of washington, to a bunch of fuckwads who spew hate and evil from their behind their "religious" guise, is, IMO, retarded.
Et tu, brute? What would you call likening those with differing opinions to those with mental defects? "Reasonable?"

Drazgul

Though longshoremen are some of the most overpaid people on the planet. A while back they tried to strike in San Fran until the media caught wind of how much money they made. It was something along the lines of 100k a year on average.

They should be paid more than some cubicle hell job does. They do actual work instead of sitting on their ass all day.

Joates

Banned
Et tu, brute? What would you call likening those with differing opinions to those with mental defects? "Reasonable?"

Believing in imaginary beings and using them as a tool to manipulate weak minds and spread hate could have some grounds in being likened to those with "mental defects" as you put it.

If you want to argue just to argue, I would pick an easier group to defend than WBB...

Riddick

Conservatives fail to see the big picture again. How unsurprising.

In a country that Wall Street has caused untold disaster and huge unemployment conservatives whine against a movement that fight that because their protests caused 150 workers not to work for a day. Fail.

Joates

Banned
They should be paid more than some cubicle hell job does. They do actual work instead of sitting on their ass all day.

Because no computers are used in shipping/receiving of tons of cargo everyday, and thus no people are needed to run those computers, and thus the union doesnt have to overpay more workers to sit at those non-existent computers... oh WAIT!

The stupidity that OWS brings out in people is a great indicator of how fucked this country is.

Stet

Banned

In a country that Wall Street has caused untold disaster and huge unemployment conservatives whine against a movement that fight that because their protests caused 150 workers not to work for a day. Fail.

I don't think it's just conservatives who find a lot wrong with this.

Awesome. Get called out for being a conservative because I don't support alienating the target demographic a movement is trying to help out. Great.

If I was a conservative, I would be cheering because I just got a new talking point.

Gaborn

I'm sure that made sense when you were typing it but now, reading it, it's nonsense. Everyone should realize what a horrible decision was both practically and from a PR standpoint to protest people that were actually going to work a job and earn a living as part of the 99%.

Also, I love how people keep going on about 100k when that is NOT "the 1%'s" salary. It's rather hilarious.

That also remains true with the Longshoremen here in Vancouver. It takes about 5 years of working as "casual" member before you get full union status, and that is if you're going down and trying to get a job every day. There are very few benefits for casual members and it's a long 5 years of working your up with many days passing by where you don't even get a sniff of a job.

So it sounds like they should be protesting the union, then, for having such strict requirements to join.

I wouldn't define it as strict, really, it keeps people locked in. It's a dangerous occupation that requires a broad spectrum of knowledge covering many, many different jobs on the docks. The docks wouldn't run as efficiently if they got, say, the college kid crowd every summer looking for a job. You are either commited and earn union status, or you're not and get booted off the casual boards eventually (again, all based on my knowledge of how it operates up here).

Are you serious? Is the "movement" not about standing up for the 99% aka the 150 workers? How is contradicting their own message not detrimental to their cause?

I don't even...

daw840

the top 1% in the US make $380,354. $100,000 earners are in the "99 Percent"

Really?!? It's only that much?!? Holy shit.....I think my Mom and Step Dad are the 1%! At least they used to be before they retired. I was under the impression that the 1% were making over a mil a year or something crazy.

Gaborn

Really?!? It's only that much?!? Holy shit.....I think my Mom and Step Dad are the 1%! At least they used to be before they retired. I was under the impression that the 1% were making over a mil a year or something crazy.

Not according to the IRS.

Not sure how reliable Facebook is, but apparently this was orchestrated by the union and the workers knew it was happening.

The union and OWS struck a bargain where the OWS would cause a psudo-strike because the union cannot strike due to their contract.

Again, just what I'm hearing, I don't know if it's true or not

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
I would be rushing financial buildings and have everyone tie themselves to furniture and dump animal blood all over the desks if I was in OWS.

Occupying parks and ports isn't my style. I want a movement that has some balls.

Kapura

Banned
Believing in imaginary beings and using them as a tool to manipulate weak minds and spread hate could have some grounds in being likened to those with "mental defects" as you put it.

If you want to argue just to argue, I would pick an easier group to defend than WBB...
I want to argue the point because I believe you're both ignorant and insensitive. Not because I like to argue.

Today on You Being Ignorant And Insensitive:
-Belittling religious people (which, by the way, is most people everywhere) by saying they believe in imaginary beings
-Again implying mental defects for people you disagree with (this post's flavour was "weak minds")
-Calling me out as simply argumentative because I both A) believe you are wrong and B) assume a forum is a reasonable forum to air my complaints

With supporters like you, I'm shocked that the Occupiers haven't created widespread reform of the system already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom