• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OWS shuts down Oakland port. 150 workers sent home without pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joates

Banned
Awesome. Get called out for being a conservative because I don't support alienating the target demographic a movement is trying to help out. Great.

If I was a conservative, I would be cheering because I just got a new talking point.

Wait a second. This movements target demographic is Unionized dock workers?! People who have next to no chance of actually losing their jobs, regardless of what happens...

Hilarious. I guess middle-management on wall street is probably a target demo too, perhaps even a few select COO/CFOs...

I want to argue the point because I believe you're both ignorant and insensitive. Not because I like to argue.

Today on You Being Ignorant And Insensitive:
-Belittling religious people (which, by the way, is most people everywhere) by saying they believe in imaginary beings
-Again implying mental defects for people you disagree with (this post's flavour was "weak minds")
-Calling me out as simply argumentative because I both A) believe you are wrong and B) assume a forum is a reasonable forum to air my complaints

With supporters like you, I'm shocked that the Occupiers haven't created widespread reform of the system already.
WBC is a scourge upon mankind, they are on a completely different level than the Occupiers.

Alucrid

Banned
Wait a second. This movements target demographic is Unionized dock workers?! People who have next to no chance of actually losing their jobs, regardless of what happens...

Hilarious. I guess middle-management on wall street is probably a target demo too, perhaps even a few select COO/CFOs...

When I worked at ACME I was in a union, guess I was a big balla rollin' in dough then.

Riddick

Awesome. Get called out for being a conservative because I don't support alienating the target demographic a movement is trying to help out. Great.

If I was a conservative, I would be cheering because I just got a new talking point.

Yet it's the conservatives who seem offended by this. As for you, you need to realize that protests always cause problems, the sooner liberals and progressives realize that in this country the better for these movements. We haven't done this for a while so I understand the frustration about how this works.

Yeah, I know. Blue collar workers! What was I thinking, who wants their support in a supposed people's revolution. I appreciate you setting me straight.

Yet it's the conservatives who seem offended by this. As for you, you need to realize that protests always cause problems, the sooner liberals and progressives realize that in this country the better for these movements. We haven't done this for a while so I understand the frustration about how this works.

Fuck that, I am in support of people getting out into primaries and changing the parties from the inside. Become delegates at the local and county conventions. Find a candidate for whom you believe represents your values, and work your ass off for them. Shutting down a port is only going to alienate unionized workers, who vote and contribute a lot more to the political process. Also, make us look like loons.

Personally I think OWS should stick to disrupting the finance industry. Sure, Wall Street is profiting off shipping, but shipping is still productive activity, not rent seeking.

Personally, OWS needs to start causing more chaos to make these protests work. Not necessarily in causing damages, but organizing on a level that the Civil Rights Movement did. Make people realize that you are willing to do whatever it takes to get your point across in a safe way.

Joates

Banned
I want to argue the point because I believe you're both ignorant and insensitive. Not because I like to argue.

Today on You Being Ignorant And Insensitive:
-Belittling religious people (which, by the way, is most people everywhere) by saying they believe in imaginary beings
-Again implying mental defects for people you disagree with (this post's flavour was "weak minds")
-Calling me out as simply argumentative because I both A) believe you are wrong and B) assume a forum is a reasonable forum to air my complaints

With supporters like you, I'm shocked that the Occupiers haven't created widespread reform of the system already.

I love how you dropped your argument entirely and turned it into how Im just a bad person.

Claiming I am ignorant and insensitive, in the same breath as defending WestboroBaptist! Im dying here...

BTW, I dont give a fuck what you think of me. I was more concerned on how yall connected WBB with OWS...

But, like I said before, if you put the two on the same level you are likely a complete fucktard.

daw840

lol, why is that?

I know a lot of people that bring that kind of money in as a combined household. Most of them don't come from money either. It's not like they are the ones holding anyone down. Maybe the top .2 percent is or something, but not at that cutoff point.

At this point in my life we are pulling in like a quarter of that for our household, it wouldn't be hard to get close to the 1% really within the next 20 years. It would literally just take time, work, dedication, and smart decisions.

Personally, OWS needs to start causing more chaos to make these protests work. Not necessarily in causing damages, but organizing on a level that the Civil Rights Movement did. Make people realize that you are willing to do whatever it takes to get your point across in a safe way.

1ISkz.jpg

I'm out. The supporters of this movement in this thread have been less than convincing so far. Jesus Christ...

Oppo

I'm sure that made sense when you were typing it but now, reading it, it's nonsense. Everyone should realize what a horrible decision was both practically and from a PR standpoint to protest people that were actually going to work a job and earn a living as part of the 99%.

It's pretty hard to imagine an effective protest that didn't inconvenience a single person, though.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

If they wanted to get the message across, they should've blocked the doors of Wal-Mart on Black Friday.

Kapura

Banned
I love how you dropped your argument entirely and turned it into how Im just a bad person.

Claiming I am ignorant and insensitive, in the same breath as defending WestboroBaptist! Im dying here...

BTW, I dont give a fuck what you think of me. I was more concerned on how yall connected WBB with OWS...

But, like I said before, if you put the two on the same level you are likely a complete fucktard.
Go back and read my posts, then see how many times I defended Westboro. Go back and see what my argument was. Look at the similarities I pointed out. And for fucks sake, stop insulting people who you don't agree with. It's not classy.

Gaborn

It's pretty hard to imagine an effective protest that didn't inconvenience a single person, though.

The thing is though there are channels of protest and ways of doing it. The Million Man March was effective and famous precisely because it was peaceful and it was, well, a million people banding together in a common cause to make a statement with a clear goal and a coherent message. No protest HAS to "inconvenience" people, some people just like fucking up other people's day.

TheMan

I know a lot of people that bring that kind of money in as a combined household. Most of them don't come from money either. It's not like they are the ones holding anyone down. Maybe the top .2 percent is or something, but not at that cutoff point.

At this point in my life we are pulling in like a quarter of that for our household, it wouldn't be hard to get close to the 1% really within the next 20 years. It would literally just take time, work, dedication, and smart decisions.

Oh ok I thought you meant that you thought less of your parents.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
This just proves that the people who would like to protest against the 1% have no idea where they are or where to park themselves to impede them, and so are parking themselves somewhere and screwing up a lot of working people's lives, too.

They were better off focusing on Wall Street.

And, honestly, the super-rich don't even really have to go there to get their shit done, either.

Oppo

The thing is though there are channels of protest and ways of doing it. The Million Man March was effective and famous precisely because it was peaceful and it was, well, a million people banding together in a common cause to make a statement with a clear goal and a coherent message. No protest HAS to "inconvenience" people, some people just like fucking up other people's day.

Was it effective? do you think?

Also - not to point out the obvious but it's safe to say that a million people converging on one spot, even the national mall, is going to cause some "inconvenience".

I don't know if what this protest did was wise but I'm not sure I like the idea of "sure you can protest, just in designated spaces, when we say it's ok, for a duration we say is ok". I don't think that actually has a profound effect beyond providing CNN with some footage.

Riddick

Fuck that, I am in support of people getting out into primaries and changing the parties from the inside. Become delegates at the local and county conventions. Find a candidate for whom you believe represents your values, and work your ass off for them. Shutting down a port is only going to alienate unionized workers, who vote and contribute a lot more to the political process. Also, make us look like loons.

We've seen how this plan went all those years that we're sitting on our asses and vote every couple of years while countries that actually protested have it much better than us (admittedly they have problems too but nowhere near our situation). Didn't we vote for Obama to change Washington and it turned out Washington changed him? 7.7 trillion to the banks, what else could WS want?

Alucrid

Banned
We've seen how this plan went all those years that we're sitting on our asses and vote every couple of years while countries that actually protested have it much better than us (admittedly they have problems too but nowhere near our situation). Didn't we vote for Obama to change Washington and it turned out Washington changed him? 7.7 trillion to the banks, what else could WS want?

You clearly don't understand how the government works. The executive branch doesn't have an almighty fist of god that commands the legislative and judicial parts. Maybe if people went out and voted more democrats into house and senate seats Obama might have had more sway and had to do less compromising.

Joates

Banned
Go back and read my posts, then see how many times I defended Westboro. Go back and see what my argument was. Look at the similarities I pointed out. And for fucks sake, stop insulting people who you don't agree with. It's not classy.

*fuck* the poor.

Good post for your first of the thread.

If you are retarded, I could see how you could relate the two...

You proceeded to do a halfassed job of relating the two, to which I already insinuated you would be viewed as a retard (at least by me) and you did it anyways... Sorry, man.

jchap

According to these IRS income charts I'm the king of the 99% dogpile, the 2%!

Also these clowns are burying their own movement. Getting in the way of normal citizens is the quickest way to lose support. They would be even more hated if they had blockaded a black friday door or something. Someone might of got shot.

Kapura

Banned
Good post for your first of the thread.

You proceeded to do a halfassed job of relating the two, to which I already insinuated you would be viewed as a retard (at least by me) and you did it anyways... Sorry, man.
Wow, there's just no talking to you. Have fun inside your echochamber.

Joates

Banned
1ISkz.jpg

I'm out. The supporters of this movement in this thread have been less than convincing so far. Jesus Christ...

Out of curiosity, directed at the opponents of the movement, do you really think the movement is baseless in its feelings and nothing needs to change?

so why don't they pick a big bank, like say, BOA, and just block the HQ or at least a prominent branch? I just don't understand what good they've accomplished at a fucking boat dock of all places.

Why is it okay for the tellers, secretaries, janitors, security guards, etc. at the branch or HQ to be inconvenienced or lose pay, but not the dockworkers?

It probably will accomplish a lot more. Those dockworkers might even get overtime to unload whatever got backed up from the shutdown. Is some of that product perishable? Dockworkers won't lose money from that, those higher up the ladder will.

Things like this might turn public opinion against the Occupy movement, or people might start saying, "Hey, Richie Rich, stop screwing me over too and just give them what they want." (Which, admittedly, is pretty amorphous.) And that group might turn around and tell their personal congressman, "Throw 'em a bone." Or the governor might call in the National Guard and some protestors might get shot. Who knows what will happen? I do find it interesting that it hasn't dried up and as long as it remains non-violent, I'm supportive.

Riddick

You clearly don't understand how the government works. The executive branch doesn't have an almighty fist of god that commands the legislative and judicial parts. Maybe if people went out and voted more democrats into house and senate seats Obama might have had more sway and had to do less compromising.

I wasn't talking about what the legislative branch did, was I? I'm talking about Obama and the 7.7 trillion he gave to the banks interest free.

Ganhyun

Well based on some of the garbage posts in here I'm starting to think they're viewed by some as not being 99% enough. Makes me wonder what the true purpose of OWS is.

I guess so. Honestly, based on how alot of people involved have acted and such, I break it down like this:

10% are people who just want to do something
10% are spoiled people just looking out for themselves
10% are legitimate protestors
70% are just there because it is the "hip" thing to do now

According to these IRS income charts I'm the king of the 99% dogpile, the 2%!

Also these clowns are burying their own movement. Getting in the way of normal citizens is the quickest way to lose support. They would be even more hated if they had blockaded a black friday door or something. Someone might of got shot.

Careful, OWS will be after you about not being 99% enough soon and come after you!

Gaborn

Out of curiosity, directed at the opponents of the movement, do you really think the movement is baseless in its feelings and nothing needs to change?

Personally? I think liberals NEED a movement like OWS like the Tea Party. The Tea Party was good for Republicans, it energized them, it re-focused them and more importantly it provided some challenges to establishment figures. I don't trust it because I think it's very much been compromised by establishment figures (with few exceptions such as Rand Paul) but on balance? The establishment needs a check on itself sometimes.

I think the OWS is good in that it has the potential to turn into the same force for Democrats, and that deserves applause even though most of their issues are not mine. I don't think they seem particularly interested in challenging their party though. To be honest this seems more about firing up their base at least from a political perspective.

Joates

Banned

Parties aren't the problem, power and corruption is the problem, and that is synonymous with both parties.

Take money out of politics, and a lot of problems might be solved. Unfortunately that is next to impossible to do, regardless of legislation.

Personally? I think liberals NEED a movement like OWS like the Tea Party. The Tea Party was good for Republicans, it energized them, it re-focused them and more importantly it provided some challenges to establishment figures. I don't trust it because I think it's very much been compromised by establishment figures (with few exceptions such as Rand Paul) but on balance? The establishment needs a check on itself sometimes.

I think the OWS is good in that it has the potential to turn into the same force for Democrats, and that deserves applause even though most of their issues are not mine. I don't think they seem particularly interested in challenging their party though. To be honest this seems more about firing up their base at least from a political perspective.

Whoever wins this battle, we lose. Govt(/business) wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom