• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM: Huge Xbox 360 announcement at E3 will keep console "vibrant for many years"

muzzymate

Don't know how they would. Couldn't see a suitable port on the back of the Xbox One that would allow it. Unless it's just gonna use USB 3.0?

Building an HDMI passthrough into the Xbox Mini and a data connection over USB3.0 for hard drive access, controller, & other misc control data needed? Possible but impractical.

That's all I can think of. Just grasping for any good news after yesterday's announcement. Chances of this are pretty poor though. Would also be really clunky.

[ Cable Box ] ---- HDMI ----> [ Xbox Mini ] ----> [ Xbox One ] ----> TV

Vormund

Don't know how they would. Couldn't see a suitable port on the back of the Xbox One that would allow it. Unless it's just gonna use USB 3.0?
HDMI in plus USB 3.0 I'm guessing.

Wouldn't be surprised if the mini had HDMI in as well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
X360 mini that can HDMI passthru with a special mode into the XOne and take advantage of all the overlays onto X360 games. Effectively $99 backwards compatibility for the XOne.

BrunoM

X360 mini that can HDMI passthru with a special mode into the XOne and take advantage of all the overlays onto X360 games. Effectively $99 backwards compatibility for the XOne.
Why do I find that soooooo damn possible that is not even funny ..

I so see them doing a 129$ mini 360 drive with a passtru for the XboxOne so you can have backwards on the new system and tons of dumb people will go out and buy it ...

instead of keeping their perfectly fine working 360s I see these ending bad

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Software-wise, Diablo III and League of Legends are probably the only major candidates for really exciting, possibility-to-be-popular software. Maybe World of Warcraft or Titan, although I doubt anyone is going to launch a first-run product on an end-of-life hardware. I guess another option would be somehow being able to play Windows 8 apps/games, although that would definitely not be all that exciting.

Hardware-wise, it's gotta be cheaper, it's gotta be smaller.

Either way, I'm pretty confident that whatever he's talking about, it's not going to surprise me :p
The Minecraft bit did make me wonder if he was talking software as well.

I hope MS haven't moneyhatted League of Legends just for 360...*

*Yes, I am moaning about the prospect of MS not dropping the 360 like a lead balloon.

jlh

The Minecraft bit did make me wonder if he was talking software as well.

I hope MS haven't moneyhatted League of Legends just for 360...*

*Yes, I am moaning about the prospect of MS not dropping the 360 like a lead balloon.

I really, really, really hope that they have because League of Legends is huge and that will keep the 360 seriously competitive for years to come. But I'm sure if there were moneyhats involved it would also show up on the One.

What I want to know is if Diablo III and WOW has a chance to make an appearance on either the 360 or the One. If so I will be forced to double dip!

So... Microsoft wants to make sure that they continue to compete with themselves next generation?

I don't understand the point of drawing out the previous generation is except to harm your young console.

muzzymate

I could get behind a $99 Xbox Mini that could function on it's own as a cheap discless Xbox 360. When ready to get an Xbox One, connect it via USB and HDMI, and achieve backwards compatibility all in one setup. I'd be much happier in what was announced yesterday.

Terra

Diablo 3 for 360 will be an instant buy and make me go gold for the first time. My 360 is since long stored away, but if D3 is released, they have me back. The PC version was a mess, so I have high hopes for this being better...and maybe some good extras.

Kerub

Banned
Nice to see that they aren't dropping the 360 like they dropped the original Xbox. GTA and CoD: Ghosts gives me a reason to stick with the 360 this year.

Isn't keeping XB360 alive for years the best way to make sure you don't sell that new hardware? I'm asking in the same way I don't get GT6 on PS3.

Top Bottom