• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM: Huge Xbox 360 announcement at E3 will keep console "vibrant for many years"

It will be an Apple TV+, with an "app-store"-like environment, but for XBLA games. XBLA lives on.

* Encourage indie development (not through XBLIG, but a new service that's just XBLA with no distinctions), and allow flexible pricing, releases, and updates on XBLA games

* Subscription service. Pay $X/month or year, you have access to the XBLA library and limited access to the Xbox 360 library (which will grow into eventually unlimited access behind the subscription paywall over a period of years).

* Rental service. Provide 24-hour rentals of full XBLA and XBox 360 games, allow you to maintain saves for multiple rental sessions.

That kind of stuff absolutely WOULD keep me interested for years.

Netflix available to Silver members?
Something like this should be most relevant. The price will come down regardless. A console price drop 8 years in is not "huge" news. It's expected. I think they will open up the walled garden a bit by offering more stuff to silver subs, or offering games a la PS+. They need to leverage huge and varied XBLA and GoD back catalog for what we now know for sure is the ONLY device these games will run on, now and in the future.

Hana-Bi

How can you talk the whole e3 conference about One games and make some 360 announcements?

We don't want to be backwards, so why waste our time with 360 stuff, while we still have no reason to buy the One?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Isn't keeping XB360 alive for years the best way to make sure you don't sell that new hardware? I'm asking in the same way I don't get GT6 on PS3.

The vast majority of buyers are not going to buy $499/599 hardware. Moreover, manufacturing ramp-ups will make it highly unlikely Microsoft or any other platform owner will be able to produce at the level that they will later on when a product is mainstream. Typically tech products follow an S-shaped adoption curve like this.

In light of that, while you certainly don't put all your energy in supporting your current platform and you certainly need to ramp up your next platform, you also don't need to drop stuff immediately. Sony made an absolute mint off value PS1 games (and the PSone hardware) well after the PS2 launched. Sony made an absolute mint off PS2 games and PS2 hardware well after the PS3 launched. As long as the prices are stratified enough, you should be targeting different audiences with each.

levitan

More details on EA partnership and their game reselling policy, along with a Respawn game and some Cryteck exclusive.

ramparter

Banned
Microsoft Game Studios exec Phil Spencer has declared that the company will continue to support the Xbox 360 platform for "years to come," despite revealing its long-term next generation plans yesterday with Xbox One
They always do...

count on 149. 99 is a basically eol price point. inflation and all that.

the fact ps2 just barely ever went to 99 is proof i dont expect 360 there anytime too soon.

it is supposed to lack of dvd drive, and maybe it will have built-in a flash memory storage instead of an hdd, so I guess the 99 price point is not impossible

it is supposed to lack of dvd drive, and maybe it will have built-in a flash memory storage instead of an hdd, so I guess the 99 price point is not impossible

Yeah make it compatible with USB external hard drives and they should be able to cut it down past $149. Maybe not $99, but $129 should be doable.

Without an optical drive and hard drive, and shit maybe not even a controller, what are we really talking about BoM-wise?

Edit: Would it be possible to allow storing games on a local wireless network (on an XBone HD, for example) and playing them from there over WiFi? Or too slow?

The vast majority of buyers are not going to buy $499/599 hardware. Moreover, manufacturing ramp-ups will make it highly unlikely Microsoft or any other platform owner will be able to produce at the level that they will later on when a product is mainstream. Typically tech products follow an S-shaped adoption curve like this.

In light of that, while you certainly don't put all your energy in supporting your current platform and you certainly need to ramp up your next platform, you also don't need to drop stuff immediately. Sony made an absolute mint off value PS1 games (and the PSone hardware) well after the PS2 launched. Sony made an absolute mint off PS2 games and PS2 hardware well after the PS3 launched. As long as the prices are stratified enough, you should be targeting different audiences with each.
Sorry for the ambiguous phrasing of my initial post. My point wasn't about keeping the hardware alive and repositioning it to tap into secondary markets, to milk it for all its worth and have a nice revenue stream while you're launching the newer product. I get that.

My point was more about software support (hence the GT6 example). Basically, I wonder how wise it is to keep releasing titles for a platform you will drop, considering having these titles only on the new platform would be a way to differentiate it from your old product.
Specifically, I had in mind the example of PS3: when it launched, I had basically zero incentive to "upgrade" because most titles that interested me were on PS2 rather than PS3. A lack of BC would make things worse.

Then again, if all these rumblings are only about a change in pricing, there's no issue.

You can open up Xbox One and expand it with a swapable MXM Graphics Card as well as update the harddrive and ram.

MXM GPUs have been used in Laptops for years, though not a popular technology it has held promise for years. With a larger focus on smaller GPUs like the 670 mini, it could rock.

Basically Microsoft could push the longevity on physical upgrades. Not sure if there is any point to this..

I think Todd Howard said in an interview that it would be nice if Xbox 360 games are upwards compatible i.e games will perform better on Xbone. So may be it is this feature or the TV add-on will be compatible with 360.

But price cut is more relevant.

Gorki247

I think Todd Howard said in an interview that it would be nice if Xbox 360 games are upwards compatible i.e games will perform better on Xbone. So may be it is this feature or the TV add-on will be compatible with 360.

But price cut is more relevant.

But if the XOne is not backwards compatible how would upwards compatible X360 games work?

Also, I have seen a few people mention the possibility of a X360 with no disc drive, which is fine for digital games but how would you use this with existing retail games?

RdN

Price drop + system update to make the Dashboard look similar to the Xbox One, like the rumors said last week.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
You can control the X360 through the Xbox One.

I'm not even joking, I wholeheartely believe they are able to come up with that.

UraMallas

I'm guessing this is related to that rumored Xbox 360 Mini. I hope so at least, I have soooo many XBLA games to catch up on, I don't want that to die too early!

If this is a Mini that I can hook up to the new system, I could deal with that. I will pay extra for BC. Absolutely.

pacman85

I so see them doing a 129$ mini 360 drive with a passtru for the XboxOne so you can have backwards on the new system and tons of dumb people will go out and buy it ...
instead of keeping their perfectly fine working 360s I see these ending bad
Serious post? There are plenty of reason someone would want to sell their current XBox 360 and buy this mini if it does what is described in the rumors. To name a few off the top of my head:
Out of hdmi ports on the tv
Out of space in the entertainment center
Chance of xbox 360 (being older hardware) crapping out
Wanting to sell their xbox 360 for more money than the mini costs to put towards the new console + mini

Why am I dumb for wanting BC on my new system so I can play the games I invested thousands of dollars on for 360 if I ever want to?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Also, I have seen a few people mention the possibility of a X360 with no disc drive, which is fine for digital games but how would you use this with existing retail games?

The Xbone drive would take the discs and the X360 mini process them through the USB connection.

Gorki247

xbox one, the one device to do everything
*needs extra Kabel Receiver for TV
*needs extra Xbox 360 Mini to play XBox 360 Games

You know that's not what it means. The One would be your main device and let you control the TV and cable receiver (or 360 Mini if true) using the One controllers (pad or kinect). So although you may have other devices connected to the One, you don't have to worry about them. At least that's the thinking behind the name and the 'one device' philosophy- if it works out that way in practice is another question.

Top Bottom