• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P.T.-inspired horror game, Allison Road, still in development

KorrZ

Looks great. I would love to see more games like PT.

More developers should learn that the fear your mind can generate given the right setting is much more potent than anything you could show on screen.

Steroyd

Well someone was going to do it.

Also Occulus Rift... Nope, I shat my pants enough with everything being kindly stuck inside the TV screen. I'm not having any of this The Ring shit in my room. *shudders*

Konami baffles me. PT was such a success and haven;t felt such genuine terror/fear from a medium for a long time. Glad it has at least inspired other creators.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
They're just ripping off PT...?

I think there may be more to it than that, but maybe this all surprises me less. Look at the history of horror games, and you'll see this has been repeated again and again. Resident Evil inspired a ton of games, some more direct copies, some inspired by (the original Silent Hill coincidentally being one of these), and it happened again and again from that point to varying degrees. Most recently, things like Amnesia and Slender had this effect. Some small-scale examples include things like Yume Nikki, Silent Hill 2, and Resident Evil 4 (which inspired a lot but had few copies, surprisingly enough).

Bergerac

Fantastic news, and I will support, but I fear it just won't be as good. Look even just at Lisa's design. She has an eye pushed out, puke on her chin and teeth and best of all is wearing a dead as fuck smile the whole time. PT was full of the kind of subtle details SH was built on. Perhaps more so thanks to Kojima, PT was twisted and absolutely fastidious about it. I hope this guy steps up to the plate because it can't just be Outlast and Amnesia and all the other derivative 'video game' trite you see Markiplier playing. It has to go to fucking weird Lynchian places to be as good as PT. But I'm ecstatic the guy is taking its influence.

Dizzy

Banned
That last pic =nope, and lol at the idea of playing this kind of game with the Rift, you'd need spare underwear.

I'll happily enjoy forcing someone else to play it though.

Doesn't really feel like the story is all that deep. Someone got murdered and now a spooky ghost might pop up and scare you. ):
What was exciting about Silent Hills was the promise of a new true psychological horror that could potentially live up to the brilliance of Silent Hill 2, where the the deeply symbolic and disturbing story is what makes it a masterpiece. Not just the spooky monsters in the foggy town.

Oh well, they're aiming for Oculus Rift so it seems they're just trying to get that atmospheric horror thing going, which isn't bad. I'm sure the VR will make it fun to play. It's just a bit boring for me, with games like Amnesia that have inspired a bunch of these types of games in recent years. P.T was a great example of this as well, but more than that the prospect of Silent Hills is what made it so exciting. Purely as a game P.T. was just that, despite having a nice little backstory as well.

LaneDS

It's in the middle of the night when you are rudely woken up by a loud noise, followed by a scream. You witness a merciless fight of the couple living upstairs, that culminates in the murder of the girl. From this point onward, the clock is ticking, and you have until 3:15AM to solve the girl's horrid murder, as her demise is eternally linked to your downfall.

You witness a murder, and then have to solve it? That should be pretty easy!

Toxi

Banned
PT inspired doesn't really say much since it wasn't all that innovative in the horror space, just excellent excecution.
No, walking through a looping hallway and a bathroom while clicking on any shit you can is true innovation at its finest.

Yeah, I don't get the absurd praise PT gets. I mean, it's a really awesome free game, but calling it "the best horror stuff ever" is over-the-top when it's a point-and-click adventure in two rooms and a hallway. Without the Silent Hills connection, it would have never become so hyped up.

Gumbie

The game is planned to release in 2016, has Oculus Rift support.

18uzodohufsy4gif.gif

Toxi

Banned
Also where did this notion that puzzles aren't gameplay come from? Does it have to be shooting to be gameplay?
Puzzles are gameplay.

PT just doesn't have very good puzzles. The majority of praise it gets is from very good visual and sound design.

Can't help but feel this is just PT-substitute. The particular twisted tastes of Kojima and Del Toro were really going to create something phenomenal and historic in gaming. That pessimistic thought aside, this is looking really fantastic, and I hope it lives up to what this guy aspires it to be.

Hopeford

You witness a murder, and then have to solve it? That should be pretty easy!

Clearly you never read a John Dickson Carr book!

Jokes aside, I imagine that statement is just worded a bit weirdly and you don't actually see who kills who. Though there are some pretty good mystery books where the crime is witnessed by multiple people with the twist of the actual murder making no sense. Slightly relevant to the thread, some of John Dickson Carr's best novels used to pull off insane Phoenix Wright-ish murder tricks, but be written as very good horror novels. So you'd have the atmosphere of a horror novel up until the reveal where the veil was pulled back, and he had a gift for making even the reveals of the eventual culprit turn out to be incredibly atmospheric. Totally recommend his books to anyone who likes mystery and horror.

Doubt the actual game in question will be a Carr-ian murder mystery, but I love the concept of a murder mystery and a horror atmosphere. Those two work together really well if handled with care and I have long, long been dreaming of a game that does just that. Here's to hoping that this game's mystery is done well!

LaneDS

Clearly you never read a John Dickson Carr book!

Jokes aside, I imagine that statement is just worded a bit weirdly and you don't actually see who kills who. Though there are some pretty good mystery books where the crime is witnessed by multiple people with the twist of the actual murder making no sense. Slightly relevant to the thread, some of John Dickson Carr's best novels used to pull off insane Phoenix Wright-ish murder tricks, but be written as very good horror novels. So you'd have the atmosphere of a horror novel up until the reveal where the veil was pulled back, and he had a gift for making even the reveals of the eventual culprit turn out to be incredibly atmospheric. Totally recommend his books to anyone who likes mystery and horror.

Doubt the actual game in question will be a Carr-ian murder mystery, but I love the concept of a murder mystery and a horror atmosphere. Those two work together really well if handled with care and I have long, long been dreaming of a game that does just that. Here's to hoping that this game's mystery is done well!

I have not, but yeah, I was teasing and am sure it's not as simple as watching a murder and then pointing a finger at the killer of course. I'll be ready to use my Phoenix Wright and ghost hunting skills when the time comes.

Dusk Golem

I'd like to have suggestions, I like horror movies.

I'm not recommending these off scary factor, I love horror films, but most don't scare me, and the few that do I would argue aren't the -best-, I'll try to go for a few more obscure horror movies I like. NOT that these are supposed to be like P.T., just some horror movies I enjoy off the top.

A_Tale_of_Two_Sisters_film.jpg

Tale of Two Sisters

Korean horror movie about two sisters returning home after the death of their mother to live with their father and new step-mom, but something seems... Off about the house. There's an American remake of this movie, but don't watch it, it's terrible.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anF5XiN8QY8

8718339_f260.jpg

Resolution

Indie horror movie, not scary but very interesting and well-done. A man has gotten married and a kid on is a way, he's ready for the next step of his life. However, before this all happens, he decides to attempt a last-ditch effort to get his best friend back. He has known his friend since they were kids, they went to college together, and he was his best friend, but their paths split as he began acting up and turned to drugs, and the two drifted apart. This man receives an email one day with a video and map of where his friend is staying, so he decides to try one last time to get his friend back...

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Em0uf1Ktg

end-of-the-line-2006-dutch-front-cover-12869-e1349924730212.jpeg

End of the Line

This is a B-horror movie I'm a big fan of. A girl working at a mental hospital is having nightmares after the death of one of her clients, but tries to pass them off... Until one day while entering onto the subway to go home she see's a creepy man by the tracks, and as things begin to escalate, it becomes a race for the end of the line. Hammy, but with some enjoyable undertones and story.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSDekmdtq9Y

pulse-poster-350x518.jpg

Kairo aka Pulse

Japanese horror movie about a a website linked to suicides. There's an American remake, but the original is much better.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9NSnP7Ggfc

20140308095951!Session_nine.jpg

Session 9

A cleaning crew group bid and get a job to clean an abandoned mental hospital with a grim past.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsxkRNvEbhM

---

There's so many others, these are good, not best of the best, but ones off the top of my head that are a bit more obscure, but not too obscure.

Tagyhag

Such as? I've seen plenty of movies.

Most recently It Follows.

But off the top of my head: Kairo, The Devil's Backbone, REC, Rosemary’s Baby, The Orphanage, What ever happened to baby Jane? etc.

I'd also mention films like Come and See but some barbarians don't consider that a horror flick.

Dusk Golem

Most recently It Follows.

But off the top of my head: Kairo, The Devil's Backbone, REC, Rosemary’s Baby, The Orphanage, What ever happened to baby Jane? etc.

I'd also mention films like Come and See but some barbarians don't consider that a horror flick.

Kairo was in my post right before yours, so I can vouch for it. I also would vouch for all the movies you mentioned.

Sign me up I suppose. I still have access to P.T. so it's not exactly filling a "void", and it won't replace what Silent Hills could've been. Still, need more horror.

Top Bottom