• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P.T.-inspired horror game, Allison Road, still in development

MrHoot

I'll wait and see. It looks gorgeous

But western devs have almost never ever succeeded in making good subtle horror that I can enjoy. And stuff like Gone Home did nothing to me. This looks intriguing but the themes seem either so on the nose (oboy, death and sin scribbles on a wall) or downright silly and straight taken from PT or any other indie horror darling

If anything, this just keeps reminding me that Silent Hill will never ever happen again and we have to go for placebos

Looks amazing, great attention to detail in the environment. Even just watching the youtube video I could really feel the tension. I'll be keeping an eye out. I need another good horror game to play
with my roommate in the same room because I'm a total wuss.

jond76

Banned
Keeping an eye on this.

At the beginning of June he posted on facebook that he sent his entry into xbox@id.

When asked about PS4, he said Sony rejected the application as an idie dev due to the fact he had dynamic IP address. Thought that was weird.

JimmyJones

Banned
Looks good! I absolutely love haunted house style games like this. Something about walking around an empty house is incredibly creepy. I think they should have made it a serial killer instead of a monster though.

Game4life

Banned
I am loving this resurgence of Horror this gen. I cannot wait for Sony Bends Open World AAA horror title. We need more big budget horror games. Looking forward to this!

PSY・S;170504378 said:
i'm a big wuss when it comes to horror games and that did nothing for me.

Rolled my eyes so hard at I CAN SEE YOU that they almost actually came out of my head.

Also seems like another horror game with no real emphasis on survival, which was my biggest gripe with PT. Like yeah there were ways to avoid dying but they weren't really immediately obvious and when you did die it was just a jump scare. I need some sort of actual conflict, a challenge to overcome that stresses me out.

legacyzero

Banned
Just keep the closet scares to a reasonable minimum. Seems like they've got a good atmosphere going, and I'd hate to see it ruined by constant jump scares.

The visuals look awesome, but those voiceovers

Yeah, it's very much detracting from the atmosphere they're trying to maintain. It's the horror equivalent of a laugh track.

edit: Man, I don't know about this... this isn't a good example of them having learned the right things from how and why P.T. worked like it did.

The sound design and lighting don't compare to P.T(in terms of creating an oppressive atmosphere) but I never really expected it to.

Some of the stuff was a little too on the nose, watching this just makes me appreciate more what a masterclass in horror design P.T. was.

Just taking it as it's own thing and not comparing it to P.T.....it's ok I guess, definitely a game I want to play.

Se_7_eN

Am I the only one thinking they are ruining a lot of what made P.T. so damn great?

They are completely blowing their "Scare factor" and showing it off to the world before we even step foot in the game... What made P.T. so damn great was that we had literally NO CLUE what was coming, and what to expect.

fvng

sorry this is too close to PT it makes me feel like it's totally uninspired. I totally rolled my eyes on this, i feel like i'd be buying those knockoff products on Canal Street.

10983825_822137981212323_5834806694900670632_n.jpg

fvng

Am I the only one thinking they are ruining a lot of what made P.T. so damn great?

They are completely blowing their "Scare factor" and showing it off to the world before we even step foot in the game... What made P.T. so damn great was that we had literally NO CLUE what was coming, and what to expect.

Yes Sir. Co-Signed

Yeah, I found it rather odd they decided it would make sense to release a gameplay video that long and reveal the main antagonist before the game is even close to being available to purchase.

Haven't heard of this before. Just watched the 13 min gameplay, there's something about the environment, the look of the apartment that just clicks well with me. I found myself thinking about that guy's furniture arrangements and decoration like it was a real place, I can't remember the last time a game's environment did that for me, which only makes the whole thing scarier. Looks pretty nice.

I don't think I could go through that in VR though, the homely, realistic environment made me remember some creepy moments when I've been alone in certain houses, and that's just by watching the gameplay video. Seeing that in VR, I'm not sure I could handle it.

HF2014

sorry this is too close to PT it makes me feel like it's totally uninspired. I totally rolled my eyes on this, i feel like i'd be buying those knockoff products on Canal Street.

This is an arrange footage, as describe on the facebook page, you wont see that in the game, they just did that to show what it could look like. Taken from the facebook page:

Hi there émoticône smile
We're super excited to show you some gameplay of our Allison Road prototype / pre-Alpha.
These 13 minutes have been put together by our small team to showcase where the development of the game is at and to give you a feel for the vibe that we're going for.
In order to do that without spoiling any of the story we decided to separate it from the actual game, so while this is real gameplay it's not what you'll see in the full version of the game.
At this point pretty much all of our core mechanics are in place, however, some actually didn't make the cut-off for the video;
The inventory is one of those things.
We'll showcase that at some point in the future.
Everything you see here is work in progress of course; some of the assets are just stand-ins and stuff like that, however, it was important to us to show you what Allison Road looks like when played.
Really hope you like it and if you have any comments please leave them here. Super curious.
The Oculus version of this vid will come in a few days time, need to rearrange some things related to lighting/performance first.
Thank you very much.

Mailbox

Initial character talking stuff sucks. The reactions he has distract from the atmosphere and the environment. He should not be "the character" the player should be.

The cliche "scary stuff" ("I see you", blood letters) are eye roll levels of bad.

That said, the last few things from when you first see the character until the end were damn good.

Crypt

Well they don't have the advantage of being able to get on stage at E3, so they kind of have to do it.

Says British, guy is American...hmmm, regardless, it'll definitely give the crowd wanting more P.T. which may work out better for them because Silent Hill wasn't going to play at all like P.T.

I said as much before, the lighting, sound design, atmosphere don't come close to P.T's oppressiveness.

The horror moments at the end where just a little too over the top, they can tone that down a lttile and focus more on making the house feel "wrong", right now it just seems like a normal realistic looking house.

"And the last and worse one: Terror, when you come home and notice everything you own had been taken away and replaced by an exact substitute. It's when the lights go out and you feel something behind you, you hear it, you feel its breath against your ear, but when you turn around, there's nothing there...” - Stephen King

obviously there was something there when you turn around for that one time in P.T but the part where he says "replaced by an exact substitute", that's what P.T did best. it wasn't the ghost and the 2 jump scares it was that the minute you first opened that door you knew there was something off, everything looked right and realistic and correct, but deep down you knew something was wrong.

Dmonzy

Says British, guy is American...hmmm, regardless, it'll definitely give the crowd wanting more P.T. which may work out better for them because Silent Hill wasn't going to play at all like P.T.

You're crazy if you think the success of P.T. was going to have no effect on how Silent Hills was going to play. They might have been experimenting with different stuff before, but that demo was a gauge to test public reaction of an internal design of the game. When they saw how well the demo reviewed, you can bet they were working to incorporate that design into Silent Hills.

Terrified

Haven't heard of this before. Just watched the 13 min gameplay, there's something about the environment, the look of the apartment that just clicks well with me. I found myself thinking about that guy's furniture arrangements and decoration like it was a real place, I can't remember the last time a game's environment did that for me, which only makes the whole thing scarier. Looks pretty nice.

Agreed - I got exactly the same feeling. I have one of the chairs that's on show here (cheap Ikea thing), and because of that, it actually drew me in a little more.

Still agree with a lot of others though - I don't feel this nails the same oppressive atmosphere that PT had, and parts of the layout and build seem directly lifted from PT (scary thing happening in bathroom, doors that lock and unlock at will, knocking on other side of the door, scary girl in corridor.

I feel like PT really guided you much better than this too (although less so at the end) - it was essentially one corridor, one direction to go in, and that made it all the more tense. It lost a sense of exploration, but gained so much from forcing you down a particular path. This feels more like someone has knocked up a really, really great environment that you can explore more, but that loses its direction because of that.

I'll still be keeping an eye on this though, because no PT :(

Evilmaus

P.T was far too effective for someone not to pick up the concept and run with it.
Really glad to find out about this game!

Dachande

That's super impressive, but I agree with the others saying that the voiceovers need to go. They're bland and ruin the mood, as you want to be you in these kinds of games, and having a voice breaks that. The main guy reacting to various items is also going to make it weird when he reacts (or doesn't) to scares, and it'll interfere with the player's own reactions.

Aside from that, as a British person, it's especially fucking weird to see a very obviously modern British house and have an American voice as the main character. It breaks the immersion for me immediately and I think it'll be the same for most other Brits for that reason.

Still though, cool game, looks very impressive. I'm sure it'll be good. Just lose the voices.

Top Bottom