• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: 10% boost in PS3 sales because of BR news, even better in the long term

Borys said:
Not to sound like a rabid Sony fanboy but 2008 Christmas with MGS4 and Blu-Ray is shaping up mighty fine for Sony.

Not only MGS is Sony's Halo
but Microsoft already blew its load with Halo 3 last year.

Sony should take November and December by storm outselling 360 4:1 IMO.
Sales wise? No.

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
Very true.

OT: By the way, I am going to get Vegas 2 on PS3. Let me know if you are interested.

Probably going to sit that one out. The sequel looks a little better but I can't see myself playing that over COD 4.

Borys said:
Not to sound like a rabid Sony fanboy but 2008 Christmas with MGS4 and Blu-Ray is shaping up mighty fine for Sony.

Not only MGS is Sony's Halo but Microsoft already blew its load with Halo 3 last year.

good grief

DenogginizerOS said:
GT5P could do that as well if Sony bundles the new Dual Shock 3 with it. Could be a mini Wii Play.

That's not gonna happen. They will probably bundle it with new PS3s though and that's a way smarter choice.

VonGak!

Banned
AstroLad said:
P pretty much completely vindicated here--guessing we won't see many of his haters coming in here to eat their well-deserved crow re the PS3 though.

His latest estimates were more than 10% off for PS3 sales. :D

Borys said:

Not only MGS is Sony's Halo but Microsoft already blew its load with Halo 3 last year.

I'm guessing a joke post.

Piper Az

I think the 360 should be much cheaper than what costs right now. It has a DVD drive, not BR drive. That alone should make the console cost less than what it is.

Pro should be $279.

Crusade

akachan ningen said:
That's not gonna happen. They will probably bundle it with new PS3s though and that's a way smarter choice.
Like so?

medium.jpg

Piper Az said:
I think the 360 should be much cheaper than what costs right now. It has a DVD drive, not BR drive. That alone should make the console cost less than what it is.

Pro should be $279.
Yes and Wii should be around 100 bucks if we look it that way...and dont get me started on Apple products.

But, since the consumer is willing to pay more so why cut the price?

Shawn128

Crusade said:
Like so?

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/archnemesis_photo/medium.jpg[/img]

Thats a pretty snazzy box. I know many who would pick up a ps3 for GT5, especially considering the bundle.

Jtyettis said:
Only in some kind of fantasy world. One of which that doesn't include Gears 2 which all signs point to this fall as MS's big gun.

Not to mention the system price will be much more attractive by the end of the year.

abacab driver said:
Not to mention the system price will be much more attractive by the end of the year.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that the market is headed for a three way split.

Healthy for everyone, but not very friendly to wildly improbable stompings.

Redd

Well sounds about right. I did grab a PS2 to play DVDs but didn't think BR would help the PS3 in the same way. Guess I was wrong and kind of glad I grabbed the right format.

KingJ2002

i agree with patcher... the ps3 should see a sales boost seeing how most standalone blu-ray players dont provide the value of an all in one system like the ps3... as well as being obsolete and cant be upgraded.

looks like that samsung duo player i bought was a waste.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think it's pretty clear at this point that the market is headed for a three way split.

Healthy for everyone, but not very friendly to wildly improbable stompings.
We must be looking at a different market then.

Right now what I'm seeing is one excelling to great heights, and two middling behind. Hell by the end of this year Nintendo should have unit sales exceeding Sony and MS combined.

That doesn't sound like a three horse race, but it does sound better then Sony's lead coupled with Wiilike dominance.

Two of the three should be up on their prior consoles, but I still expect one to be at least 50-60 million units ahead when all is said and done.

Piper Az

Hellraizer said:
Yes and Wii should be around 100 bucks if we look it that way...and dont get me started on Apple products.

But, since the consumer is willing to pay more so why cut the price?

the PS2 really took off when they lower the price to $199. Sure, people are still buying the 360 at $350, but if it goes below $300, it would open the flood gates...fast.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I was one of those educated consumers waiting on the sidelines, so I loaded up my Amazon.com wishlist with Blu-Ray discs and am waiting to find a secondhand 60 GB PS3 for cheap. :D

This is unambiguously good news for Sony.

The interpretation where this is a small but noticeable boost to PS3 for the remainder of its lifespan is probably accurate, and also the best for PS3 owners -- PS3 actually selling largely as a BRD player whose owner doesn't buy games would leave it in a PSP-like development wasteland. But I think it's more likely that this will have an incremental effect -- it increases BluRay's pull as a tipping point for people wrestling with the "buy a PS3 or not" question.

I really don't think it'll have much effect on Microsoft, though. This point is likely to get some fence-sitters on board with PS3, but not likely to tip a lot of people from X360 to PS3 -- most buyers who would be tipped by that probably already committed to the PS3 side because of their interest in HD movies.

As a result, I expect this to result in a noticeable (but, again, small) uptick to PS3 sales in the US, but no corresponding downtick on the X360.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Slightly OT, but for those of you not watching the other threads, Universal has announced their Blu support (yeah, even before Paramount).

I know they'd little other choice, but it's funny to see how dramatically their attitude changed in such a short period of time.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I bet Toshiba really wishes they would have just made a few more concessions in the early negotiations that would have brought one format about. Concessions > demoralizing, crushing, defeat.

squatingyeti said:
I bet Toshiba really wishes they would have just made a few more concessions in the early negotiations that would have brought one format about. Concessions > demoralizing, crushing, defeat.

You should see some of the shit that goes on in these video/audio forums. DeathNote (a gaffer) was at some forum last night and i swear some of the posts made by these people makes me sick to my fucking stomach.

xaosslug

good to see disgruntled fanbois continue to muddy the waters with their 'bububu but, digital downloads!!!' FUD. :lol

cry moar, pls.

xaosslug said:
good to see disgruntled fanbois continue to muddy the waters with their 'bububu but, digital downloads!!!' FUD. :lol

I don't think anything about downloads is more "FUD" than the idea that BluRay will naturally and quickly absorb the entire DVD market, which is also floated out by some people in these discussions. There's no reason to believe that the ultimate level of success that BRD will achieve is established at this point, or that we can predict what the video-media market will look like in 2012.

Piper Az said:
the PS2 really took off when they lower the price to $199. Sure, people are still buying the 360 at $350, but if it goes below $300, it would open the flood gates...fast.
Of course, however, MS knows that (at least I hope they know it), probably, the are just waiting for Sony (again) to make the first move.

xaosslug

charlequin said:
I don't think anything about downloads is more "FUD" than the idea that BluRay will naturally and quickly absorb the entire DVD market, which is also floated out by some people in these discussions. There's no reason to believe that the ultimate level of success that BRD will achieve is established at this point, or that we can predict what the video-media market will look like in 2012.

maybe, 'FUD' was the wrong term. :p But what I mean is it's disingenuous to imply that HD Digital Downloads are even vaguely competition for Blu-Ray, as it leads the uninformed to believe HD-DD is anywhere near the visual quality of Blu-Ray, this early on.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
gofreak said:
Slightly OT, but for those of you not watching the other threads, Universal has announced their Blu support (yeah, even before Paramount).

I know they'd little other choice, but it's funny to see how dramatically their attitude changed in such a short period of time.
Wow that was fast!!! Paramount should announce later today.

Davidion

charlequin said:

Bingo.

Im sure Sony is hoping this will boost sales until some of the big franchises hit this year. Problem is you've got a $350 phillips BD player coming relatively soon so...we'll see what happens.

Kuturagi must be smiling. High five Kenneth :lol

charlequin said:

That idea has not been propagated when talking about digital downloads by any of the people with whom I have talked. It's a completely separate issue.

I dont know any knowledgeable person who says that DD not succeeding will be a function of BD absorbing the entire DVD market. I don't know where you got that from but you must be talking to some ignorant ass people.

The idea stands just fine on its own: DDs barriers are not only high speed internet accessibility and price (not to mention things like bandwidth caps), not only storage, but also the fact that movie studios and CE manufacturers alike have NO interest in moving to a digital distribution standard any time soon.

Optical is here for at least another generation. The video-media market in 2012 will not be headed by digital distribution and yes I think we can make that prediction with enough confidence.

Whether BD will be the optical medium to absorb DVD we don't know (perhaps everyone will decide that upconverted DVD is fine until DD).

acklame

TAFKAA said:
and

"It's unfortunate that Microsoft's external HD-DVD drive will not enhance the experience at all for the gamer," Sony Computer Entertainment America's David Karraker smirked.

:lol
where's that from :lol

charlequin said:
I prefer downloads personally BUT i don't think it will be something the main stream will gravitate toward. The problem is, media (hard drive space) is exhaustible. There will always come a point where you will have to get my HDD space when you fill it up with your purchased movies. On the flip side, with a BRD you just go out and by another disk. No filling up of HDD or memory sticks. I think for rentals Downloading is the future, but not purchases.

Thunder Monkey said:
We must be looking at a different market then.

Right now what I'm seeing is one excelling to great heights, and two middling behind. Hell by the end of this year Nintendo should have unit sales exceeding Sony and MS combined.

That doesn't sound like a three horse race, but it does sound better then Sony's lead coupled with Wiilike dominance.

Two of the three should be up on their prior consoles, but I still expect one to be at least 50-60 million units ahead when all is said and done.

I think it evens out though. Each one has their own strengths. Wii will have a stranglehold of a hardware lead all generation, without a doubt. But MS has secured a software sales empire for the entirety of the generation as well, and Sony will undoubtedly carve its own competitive market worldwide.

Everyone wins.

Which is bad news for the rabid.

Mustaphadamus said:
I think for rentals Downloading is the future, but not purchases.

Yep.

I personally don't buy movies. Maybe the classic here and there like the "Back to the Future" trilogy or something like that. So, digital download is perfect for me. The last 10 movies I rented broke down like this:

4 via XBL Marketplace
4 via Netflix
2 via Blockbuster

It seems to me that BluRay is best suited for ease of use - like only needing one disc for an entire season of "Lost". That's not to say there isn't a certain segment that cares deeply about visual fidelity. But, I don't personally know a single person like that.

I think that 10% is too low of a guess. People who are upgrading to High-Def tend to do their hw, and when they see that the PS3 is one of the cheapest and most versatile Blu-ray players, sales will pick up accordingly.

siamesedreamer said:
It seems to me that BluRay is best suited for ease of use - like only needing one disc for an entire season of "Lost". That's not to say there isn't a certain segment that cares deeply about visual fidelity. But, I don't personally know a single person like that.

Isn't the Lost box set out now multiple discs?

Top Bottom