• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Nintendo in disarray, blown it with Wii U.

I think he meant to say Sony and their piles of debt which just keep mounting. Nintendo is in good shape, and they have always been savvy at business.

Enk

makes good threads.
Geez, it's like people have never been through a console cycle before. It's like last year when Nintendo revealed the Wii U for the first time and people expected them to show off a bunch of games instead of tech demos.

Retro

Doesn't everyone know that Nintendo died when sonic came along, was like, 8 bits better and was a cooler mascot and stomped the shit out of Mario?
didn't have blood in Mortal Kombat?
stuck with cartridges instead of CDs and lost Squaresoft?
didn't have mature games with hookers and tits and blood?
The Virtual Boy Bombed?
their stock dropped that one time?
made a console that couldn't play DVD movies?
they made Zelda all cartoony and shit?
didn't have a handheld that could play movies?
didn't have awesome online gameplay?
didn't have gorgeous HD Graphics?
they started catering to grandmas and soccer moms?
they started doing gimmicks like two screens?
priced their handheld too high?
cut the price of their handheld?
couldn't compete with smartphones and tablets?
they didn't announce the price of the WiiU?

mik83kuu

Banned
I agree with Pachter and I base my opinion on the same facts as he does.
Did I say facts? I meant fairy tales.

Mantennalaugh.gif

StuBurns

Banned
Sounds like a moron, shamefully, not for the first time.

I could see the Wii U under performing, but it won't be because they didn't announce the price.

Tutomos

Pachter is right on this one. With the Wii, Nintendo is not making big money all of the time, and Wii U is not a sure thing.

ElRenoRaven

“I think Nintendo is in disarray. I think they’ve completely blown the Wii U by not telling people what the price is going to be. It’s going to launch at $249 because it has to. I think they’re dead anyway because Xbox with Kinect will be priced below that by the time they launch. Wii was a bubble and that the Wii bubble has burst.” - Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter

Link

Is this guy for real? Does he actually get paid to say stuff like that? I swear that he graduated from the school of GameFAQs forums.

Even though his previous "analisis/predictions" have always been kind of... out there, that quote specifically reads like a 100% GameFAQs troll.

It's pachter. He's wrong 95 percent of the time. So don't sweat it.

HylianTom

Banned
Isn't this the guy who's always negative about Nintendo? I could swear I've seen threads about him going "Nintendo is doomed!" before.

You speak of him as though this thought is unique to him. Watch any post-E3 roundtable discussion at any of the major gaming sites, or G4 for that matter - they practically salivate at the idea of Nintendo going third-party. With any negative Nintendo news, you can practically hear them breaking-out the lube and poppers for a great circular-shaped session of self-gratification.

He's totally wrong about the price not being announced yet making a difference, but he kinda has a point about social games taking part of the Wii U's market though

Paraphrase of Pachter said:
Wii gamers are now playing social games like FarmVille. He said that Nintendo had great success with the Wii, and actually pushed gaming further into the mainstream with its Blue Ocean policy than even the company had planned. But the influx of social games and quality mobile games on tablets and smartphones has killed the Wii. And he believes it will ultimately kill Nintendo’s handheld business.

I don't think social games will kill any of Nintendo's consoles, but I think they could take away some of the Wii U's potential customers

When Pachter say something, the opposite happens.

"Red Dead Redemption will bomb hard"
It sold 10 millions

"3DS will be sucessful at 250 dollars"
It didn't

"PSVita will do better the first 3 month than 3DS"
It didn't (In Japan at least)

"WiiU will bomb hard"
Nintendo should be confident

Tucah

you speak so well
Nintendo certainly isn't doomed, especially with the 3DS' new success but I could definitely see the Wii U underperforming. The Kinect has the old Wii marketplace now and if Microsoft is smart with their pricing/marketing/bundling this winter they could take steam away from the WiiU launch.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Probably should have put "I think they [Nintendo] 're dead anyway" in the title instead. Lol. I guess he didn't give us a time frame this time (though Wii U's lifetime is implied) so we can't point & laugh when it doesn't happen because by 2222 he might be right!

lenovox1

Well.......a dread news thread and about Nintendo and not Sony, what is wrong with this world?!!?!

Aw, nothing. The Vita has launched in all territories, so that makes the Wii U the latest, coolest target of ire until it launches. And then afterwards, Microsoft will get it's turn to be "doomed," and the cycle will continue.

Has it OFFICIALLY been confirmed that the touch screen on the Wii U's controller is essentially the quality/fidelity of the first DS screen?

I know I've heard rumblings that it's essentially the DS screen tossed into a controller.

AKA - no multi-touch?
The DS/DSi/3DS all have a resistive touch screen, while the Wii U's touch screen will be capacitive like an iPad's just no multi-touch.

Edit: Whoops, I didn't get my facts straight.

I think nintendo's only mistake was showing the system so far ahead of launch. They didn't have anything to really show off, and I think it led to an even more drastic sales decline for the Wii.

Pricing information has no impact on a product that is still six months or more away.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The DS/DSi/3DS all have a resistive touch screen, while the Wii U's touch screen will be capacitive like an iPad's just no multi-touch.
Uuuh, source?

Of course he's (probably) wrong anyway, as even 3DS has a better touch screen than DS. Though he's right in that they're all single touch (but hey, buttons/analogs etc). But using the word fidelity and calling it the same as the DS is likely 100% wrong.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It seems Pachter's reading comprehension may be in a disarray as well. While he's correct about Nintendo not giving a firm price on Wii U, some hints surfaced during E3 2011:

Iwata signaled the WiiU will likely be priced at more than 20,000 yen ($250) in Japan when it goes on sale next year, the Nikkei newspaper reported today, citing an interview with the president. Nintendo is unlikely to sell the new console for the same price as the current Wii, the report cited Iwata as saying.
Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...her-new-console-can-repeat-wii-s-success.html

Though Pachter is known for somewhat absurd comments and remarks, this falls well below any standards I can think of when it comes to principles of analysis. Without a transcript of this keynote it's difficult to comment on this more deeply. But I doubt Nintendo's gonna fall short on their new system.

A More Social Industry

Keynote with Michael Pachter, Wedbush Morgan Securities

How is the social landscape already affecting the gaming industry, and how will it trend? Michael Pachter, Managing Director, Equity Research, Wedbush Securities, will delve into the role of social gaming and its relationship to all platforms. What does the future hold for publishers and developers building brands in this space? What strategies and tactics are they employing to attract new players, and how are those changing as the category matures?
Source: http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/news.html?d=246823

guek

Banned
“I think Nintendo is in disarray. I think they’ve completely blown the Wii U by not telling people what the price is going to be. It’s going to launch at $249 because it has to. I think they’re dead anyway because Xbox with Kinect will be priced below that by the time they launch. Wii was a bubble and that the Wii bubble has burst.” - Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter

1322726434350.jpg

"Wii was a bubble and that the Wii bubble has burst.” - Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter

Why doesn't he make that same comment about kinect?

Kinect as a gaming peripheral is on the verge of bursting already seeing at the games don't sell well...

Duxxy3

Pachter has been incredibly off for years now.

Wii HD prediction for years?

$250 3DS too low?

Vita will outsell 3DS?

Seriously dude, just stay away from nintendo predictions.

edit: also when he called the Team Bondi people whiners. that was awful.

Napophis

Regarding the Wii U, Pachter believes Microsoft and Sony will ship their new hardware, PlayStation 4 and Xbox Next, with 4GB hard drives. But he said Nintendo will release Wii U without any hard drive.

wut...

It'll be "doomed" just like the DS, Wii and 3DS were all doomed.

Exactly. I may not be a nintendo fan but the base that drives them is similar to the base that drives Ipods. The casual masses have determined what is cool and they are going to stick with it until something else as appealing and as easily accessible comes along.

Making predictions about a console "before" it comes out is just setting yourself up for failure.

When Pachter say something, the opposite happens.

"Red Dead Redemption will bomb hard"
It sold 10 millions

"3DS will be sucessful at 250 dollars"
It didn't

"PSVita will do better the first 3 month than 3DS"
It didn't (In Japan at least)

"WiiU will bomb hard"
Nintendo should be confident

he has literally been proven wrong for years now. I don't understand when he still gets so much attention. At this point in time he is simply using the industry to get his name out there even more.

Is this guy for real? Does he actually get paid to say stuff like that? I swear that he graduated from the school of GameFAQs forums.

Pretty sure he gets paid to tell rich investors what to do with their money. I like to think he just says stuff like this in public to rile up the fanboys.

Top Bottom