• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Nintendo in disarray, blown it with Wii U.

ElRenoRaven

ROFLMAO. Yea. See prime example. If anything they will ship them with larger HDDs then they did this gen. I think MS more so realized that releasing with no HDD and a 20 gig only at launch was so stupid and really hurt them this gen DD wise. Well that and the ungodly prices they charge for their HDDs

He was very bullish on the 3DS, saying that Nintendo would regret pricing it so low when they sell millions of units at $250.
He really said that?
i5GlqoM1lesSJ.gif

ReyVGM

Couldn't you replace "Wii U" with any soon-to-be released console, and the statement would still work? And still be a troll.

“I think Microsoft is in disarray. I think they’ve completely blown the NextBox by not telling people what the price is going to be. It’s going to launch at $249 because it has to. I think they’re dead anyway because Wii U will be priced below that by the time they launch.”

“I think Sony is in disarray. I think they’ve completely blown the PS4 by not telling people what the price is going to be. It’s going to launch at $249 because it has to. I think they’re dead anyway because NextBox will be priced below that by the time they launch.”

Hey, you're right!

TheNatural

My Member!
Seriously, what does this man do that warrants him having a job of any kind? Has he said anything of note that you couldn't get from 5 minutes reading a message board troll?

The DS/DSi/3DS all have a resistive touch screen, while the Wii U's touch screen will be capacitive like an iPad's just no multi-touch.

No, Wii U's screen is also resistive. Which sucks imo, resistive works great when paired with a stylus but it's pretty crap when using fingers. I wish both 3DS and Wii U used capacitive as it'd work so much better for the sorts of games both seem to be getting (ie: using traditional controls with touchscreen options).

At the same time, it's hardly just a DS screen either. It's over twice the size, 480p, appears significantly brighter and has a significantly better viewing angle.

Tuck

Does he expect them to like... never reveal the price? They waited till the last minute with Wii (And we aren't even AT the last minute yet either).

Jeez they've barely shown off the damn thing.

AwShucks

after six years he might be the only one person still saying the Wii was a fad

You're kidding yourself if you think the Wii wasn't a fad. I'm talking about the system not the technology (which MS and Sony have both attempted to adopt/repro and it still niche). The system was literally the hot product everyone had to have. Not for any good reason mind you, just because it became the popular thing likely due to "oh look I can move my hand while holding the controller to do stuff and I can point at the screen".

I don't know a single person these days that still talks about the Wii or games for it. On that note I have a couple games for it that I absolutely love, so it wasn't a complete waste.

FoneBone

He was very bullish on the 3DS, saying that Nintendo would regret pricing it so low when they sell millions of units at $250.

Yup.

"I'm impressed that they had the confidence to charge $249; I think that they're going to regret it," warns the mighty steed. "It's going to sell out and they're leaving money on the table. I'm impressed that they're this consumer friendly -- that really matters. So it's not shareholder friendly, but consumers are going to love the $249 price point. We can call bullsh*t on Reggie [Fils-Aime] a lot, but I actually agree with him. If you explain the feature set to most consumers, they would say $300 or more. So $249 is a bargain, and I think this thing is going to be on eBay for $500 immediately."

massoluk

Banned
He said Wii would be 2nd place, with 1st and 3rd place switchable between 360 or PS3.
He said WiiHD is coming for the entire lifespan of the Wii.
He said 3DS launch price is too LOW.

I'm guessing $200-$250

Would throw money if it's below $199 =3
You read my mind. I'm thinking $200 would be fair if it's on par with the 360 or a little stronger.

I also would buy it at that price or lower and I am still holding out on the Wii at $150, even though there are some games that I would love to play on the thing.

Z3M0G

I actually agree with the "Wii = fad" part...

He's not talking about the Core Wii game market, he's talking about the casuals... That bubble did indeed burst. How many of use know our friends / parents who baught a Wii for Wii Sports who still use their Wii often?

Well... except for Just Dance... I have friends who still buy that with every release.

While the general public did eat the Wii up, they'll see the Wii-U and think "I had my fun with that stuff..."

J-Rod

I don't get this comment, but I like listening pachter. Even when he is wrong, his reasoning behind it is usually coherent. I consider it a step above the usual forum fare when posters give their wacky suggestions and predictions for companies related to the industry.

Look! Pachter bashing!

See, the thing is, he's not looking at gaming companies as a player, he's looking at them as an analyst, and first and foremost, he wants to see GROWTH out of them. And anyone who thinks the WiiU is going to do *anywhere* near the Wii volume is just deluded.

I'm done taking up for him. That was just bad.

Look! Pachter bashing!

See, the thing is, he's not looking at gaming companies as a player, he's looking at them as an analyst, and first and foremost, he wants to see GROWTH out of them. And anyone who thinks the WiiU is going to do *anywhere* near the Wii volume is just deluded.

Your characterization of his role is correct, but the inference he made is fucking terrible and makes no sense.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Look! Pachter bashing!

You know it's not hard to say you don't expect to see growth instead of say things like "disarray" and "dead" regardless of your supposed point of view, right?
I actually agree with the "Wii = fad" part...

He's not talking about the Core Wii game market, he's talking about the casuals... That bubble did indeed burst. How many of use know our friends / parents who baught a Wii for Wii Sports who still use their Wii often?

Well... except for Just Dance... I have friends who still buy that with every release.
Heh, almost got me ;)
While the general public did eat the Wii up, they'll see the Wii-U and think "I had my fun with that stuff..."
Don't see what Wii U has to do with Wii being a fad, it's a different system and all, its success or failure doesn't stand on the Wii being or not being a fad itself... Was the PS2 a fad because PS3 didn't do as good? Sheesh...

No, Wii U's screen is also resistive. Which sucks imo, resistive works great when paired with a stylus but it's pretty crap when using fingers. I wish both 3DS and Wii U used capacitive as it'd work so much better for the sorts of games both seem to be getting (ie: using traditional controls with touchscreen options).

At the same time, it's hardly just a DS screen either. It's over twice the size, 480p, appears significantly brighter and has a significantly better viewing angle.

Fingers work fine on resistive screens for decently sized virtual buttons and menus which I'm guessing there will be a lot of on Wii u games and then they offer the precision of a stylus for when necessary so you get best of both worlds
The only thing you don't get with a resistive screen is multi touch and seeing as it has buttons as well there's little need for that anyway

Cipherr

Has it OFFICIALLY been confirmed that the touch screen on the Wii U's controller is essentially the quality/fidelity of the first DS screen?

I know I've heard rumblings that it's essentially the DS screen tossed into a controller.

AKA - no multi-touch?

What the hell? What do you mean officially confirmed? That was never even RUMORED. There is no multitouch, but its far from a DS screen in every way. Jesus Christ where do people get this stuff.

massoluk

Banned
Look! Pachter bashing!

I think it's deluded to say anything about WiiU because we don't know shit about it yet.

All in all, I don't find skepticism about the Wii U shocking. However, despite how big of a success or failure he or anyone else thinks the Wii U will be, I'm not sure if I'm really following how a price announcement now will really affect Nintendo's brand strength. Say he's right and that $250 is the only price that makes sense. I don't follow how not announcing that now is a disastrous move.

Look! Pachter bashing!

Wii selling faster than any Nintendo console and MORE isn't growth? DS selling faster and more than any previous Nintendo handheld isn't growth? The 3DS selling at a faster rate than any Nintendo system in the past isn't growth? What more does he want?

I'm irritated that they haven't released a price point yet, but the Wii-U is not going to fail because of it. Pachter is always off the mark but his profession is a roll of the dice anyway.

Shit man, why can't I get paid and published for my armchair industry speculation?? I can talk out of my ass too, I just didn't know it was a marketable skill!

Top Bottom