• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Xbox One’s Battlegrounds Will Outsell Most of the Japanese PS4 Games

sublimit

Banned
First you have to show the receipts proving microsoft paid for "exclusivity" instead of this just being another early access hitting the console earlier like many others due to game preview

Microsoft didn't pay for Battlegrounds. It is getting free advertising but otherwise it is exclusive because Sony doesn't have an early access program like the Xbox does.

Oh wait we're talking about an early access launch??Didn't knew that.

Well i guess now his comparison seems even more pointless and random than before to me.

It's absurd because you're lumping an entire country (with games as diverse as dark souls and resident evil to the shittiest VN under the sun and stuff like LSD and Mario) under the same "genre". It's as ridiculous as saying "i don't like american games"

It definitely is, and that's something you see all the time. Or, "I don't like sports games," or "I don't like racing games," or what have you.

It's not absurd.
These are consumer products and people are trading their own money for their own time. If someone generally doesn't care for western third person shooters, and they really need a great one to catch their interest, then that's not absurd... It's their money, it's their time, it's their choice.

Now, if they go and say "You shouldn't care about western third person shooters," or "Western third person shooters don't matter..." then, sure, that's absurd.

leeh

Detective GAF to save the day.
Look what I said post E3-2016:
When did I say he wasn't talented?

This game was meant to be out 2 years ago, looked awful when it was shown, was slated everytime it's shown and we've got a thread with more comments than all Scalebound threads combined?

The contract talk is embarrassing.

Trump is MS' fault last I heard.
DetectiveGAF strikes again!!!!!111

Keinning

It definitely is, and that's something you see all the time. Or, "I don't like sports games," or "I don't like racing games," or what have you.

It's not absurd.
These are consumer products and people are trading their own money for their own time. If someone generally doesn't care for western third person shooters, and they really need a great one to catch their interest, then that's not absurd... It's their money, it's their time, it's their choice.

Now, if they go and say "You shouldn't care about western third person shooters," or "Western third person shooters don't matter..." then, sure, that's absurd.

Not liking a genre is different from not liking a .... country and everything that comes from it? I don't see the point of your comparison.

Chobel

Oh yeah, I guess it was different leeh who said this about Gamescom 2015 gameplay
I cant even. What's with all the negativity in everything? I feel like people are trying to find a fault in everything.

Crackdown 3 looked amazing, finally showed us some of the cloud tech. Cant wait to see what it looks like further in.

Quantum Break, did they change the main guy? Im confused? Looks frantic and stylish, definately going to be picking it up.

Scalebound looked a bit clunky this early on, but riding a dragon in an rpg? Count me in.

Forza 6, quietly showed Nurburgring in the wet and online racing leagues based on professionalism with prizes!

Just Cause 3 looks amazing, Halo 5 MP looks awesome. Hate esports me, but I know so many people who love it.

How can anyone say DVR is a negative? Thats amazing, definately be using that.

Wished the showed the UI more and less indie and more big game time... but this thread.

Edit: Totally forgot about Halo Wars 2. Yes!

leeh

Oh yeah, I guess it was different leeh who said this about Gamescom 2015 gameplay
And? It was pre-alpha footage which showed the concept of good mechanics. E3-2016 came around closer when it was meant to be released and it looked shit.

Sorry for me not instantly throwing a game in the trash based on pre-alpha footage.

sibarraz

Banned
For a second I thought that Patcher was saying that PUBG will outsell all games in Japan, and I thought that it was impossible

Then I realized that he was talking about made in japan games

Head.spawn

That was after it was cancelled.
We all know no one liked the game after it was cancelled

Where the hell were you?

The game that couldn't garner more than a page thread on gaf for like 3 years straight went on to become the most coveted reason that tons of people now weren't buying an Xbox One when it was cancelled; that thread might have been up there for fastest moving threads in gaf history.

Chobel

And? It was pre-alpha footage which showed the concept of good mechanics. E3-2016 came around closer when it was meant to be released and it looked shit.

Sorry for me not instantly throwing a game in the trash based on pre-alpha footage.

Huh, I didn't know its japanese "art style" and "vibe" changed somewhere between Gamescom and E3.

Not liking a genre is different from not liking a .... country and everything that comes from it? I don't see the point of your comparison.

It's that everybody has preconceived biases against specific groups of games that might follow a pattern, but they're willing to try something that looks to break that pattern. So, for instance, "I don't like racing games, but I love a quick game of Mario Kart now and again." It's not that the person doesn't like racing games, it's that they usually aren't interested in most racing games until a game comes around and proves them otherwise, or grabs their attention. Likewise, "I don't like Japanese games, but I love the Souls series..." It's not that they don't like Japanese games, it's that Japanese games don't generally catch their interest, until one proves that it's worth their time. It can be applied to regions, genres, publishers, developers, or any category of consumer products. I, personally, am usually not into Ubisoft published games... So an Ubi game really has to do something different to grab my attention. I'll snooze through Ubi presentations because I know that most of their games will be Far Cry, The Crew, Tom Clancy, and Far Cry ... and say "Eh, I really just don't like Ubisoft games..." but then maybe at some point something like Trials HD will catch my eye and I'll love it. Still, I'll have that implicit bias against Ubisoft games so I'd still probably say "Eh, I don't really like Ubi games," but I did like Trials -- an Ubi published game.

It's not really that somebody doesn't like Japanese games or doesn't like Western games, or doesn't like racing games, or Western RPGs, EA games, it's that they need something specific to their interests to attract them, and a genre of games or the origin of games is no different. And, let's be honest, games from specific regions, games in specific genres, games from specific publishers tend to share things in common and that makes sense that they do... It's the same thing with almost every other consumer industry.

It's not absurd that someone would develop their own bias for or against a category of products that they're spending their own money on or spending their own time playing. It happens with every industry. A lot of people have a bias against American cars as being unreliable, or against German cars for being expensive to repair, or against Japanese cars for using cheap materials or shoddy crafstmanship. These had a basis in reality at some point, but the biases still persist even if other manufacturers from those regions have bucked the trend. It is absurd for somebody to say something like "You shouldn't spend your money on Japanese games," but not, "I don't want to spend my money on Japanese games." It's a consumer market, bias is normal, and it's normal to not be interested in something based on previous perception and need something unique and extra to make you buck that preconception.

leeh

Huh, I didn't know its japanese "art style" and "vibe" changed somewhere between Gamescom and E3.
So because I don't usually glue with Japenese games I shouldn't be interested in any in the future even though I've bought/tried most of the most popular ones in recent years expecting to like some of them but never usually have?

I'll just disregard everyone of them in the future because of this GAF argument then.

Head.spawn

The game certainly looked like absolute shit at E3 2016.

You're in those threads as well saying it looked "meh".

I think a lot of people were genuinely interested in the game up until that point; it's not some radical idea that it looked promising and had potential and then the big gameplay reveal right before release looking like hot garbage turned people off. Me included. Literally anyone else who is being honest as well.

Aren't the only games that sell really well in Japan nowadays Nintendo first party (MK, Splatoon), Monster Hunter, DQ and Yokai Watch? And Yakuza maybe?

I could see Monster Hunter World outselling it

Chobel

The game certainly looked like absolute shit at E3 2016.

You're in those threads as well saying it looked "meh".

Of course I was, E3 2016 showing was a disaster. But this isn't about me, it's about leeh who doesn't like any Japanese game (because of "art" and "vibe"), yet he somehow was excited about Scalebound at one point.

Because he's a gigantic troll.

It's actually because people outside of the videogame industry pay him for financial projections within this industry. It's, literally, his job, and things that seem super obvious to us aren't as obvious to a financial planner who might hire a company to give industry advice for something that they don't follow.

krov87

Neo Member
Where the hell were you?

The game that couldn't garner more than a page thread on gaf for like 3 years straight went on to become the most coveted reason that tons of people now weren't buying an Xbox One when it was cancelled; that thread might have been up there for fastest moving threads in gaf history.

That is true too.

leeh

Of course I was, E3 2016 showing was a disaster. But this isn't about me, it's about leeh who doesn't like any Japanese game (because of "art" and "vibe"), yet he somehow was excited about Scalebound at one point.
My favourite RPG ever is Golden Sun. Literally. I beat that thing like 5 times over which is super unusual for me.

I usually look at these games and think "These look awesome!" and then pick them up and I just don't really stick to them. I really, really wanted to get into Bayonetta for example, but that lost me.

My favourite RPG ever is Golden Sun. Literally. I beat that thing like 5 times over which is super unusual for me.

I usually look at these games and think "These look awesome!" and then pick them up and I just don't really stick to them. I really, really wanted to get into Bayonetta, but that lost me for example.

I remember that game. Loved it. I used to love rpgs, but just can't stick with them nowadays sadly.

Head.spawn

Gotcha. I may have a missed/glossed over a bit of that context.

dugdug

Banned
A bit confused why people say this is only Xbox exclusive because Sony doesn't have early access games on it when Paragon is in it's second year, Fortnite just came out, and they had Dungeon Defenders 2 in 2015.

I mean, they don't have a specific section for it like "Game Preview" but, what's the difference between the states of those games and PUBG?

Hoo-doo

Banned

Linking to a comment of yours from right when it was cancelled really undermines your point.

I mean, you were hardly the only one with a sudden change of heart regarding the game the minute it got canned, despite it being the most highly anticipated Xbox One exclusive on this board the year before.

Wereroku

A bit confused why people say this is only Xbox exclusive because Sony doesn't have early access games on it when Paragon is in it's second year, Fortnite just came out, and they had Dungeon Defenders 2 in 2015.

I mean, they don't have a specific section for it like "Game Preview" but, what's the difference between the states of those games and PUBG?

We are just repeating what the dev has said. Their stated reason for being on Xbox early is because they can release it as an early access game. This probably means they can bypass some of Microsoft's cert requirements. Sony does not have a similar system they can use.

I mean maybe the dev is lying but I highly doubt it going by all the interviews I have seen with him. He has been pretty vocal about the game releasing everywhere once it reaches 1.0.

Apparently enough difference to devs where the titles released between both consoles are like 10:1 in Xbox favor.

MS isn't paying Ark, Conan, Elite Dangerous, etc to be a part of their platform. They are obviously doing something different than Sony in Early Access regard. I'm not going to pretend to know what exactly it is, but enough games have released on XB1 early access to suggest MS is doing something "better" for them to target there

Keinning

Sony doesn't have an early access program - different.

A few selected titles doesn't change the situation, Sony is very restrictive on the games they allow and many others are never considered, while on xbox its mostly the developer willing to be part of game preview and putting it there. It's like saying xbox have strong jrpg support because of FFXV and dark souls

leeh

Linking to a comment of yours from right when it was cancelled really undermines your point.

I mean, you were hardly the only one with a sudden change of heart regarding the game the minute it got canned, despite it being the most highly anticipated Xbox One exclusive on this board the year before.
When it was shown at E316 I was super disappointed. Just never mentioned it before that post, you know, since there was hardly any threads on it until it got cancelled and it got a 100+ page one.

A few selected titles doesn't change the situation, Sony is very restrictive on the games they allow and many others are never considered, while on xbox its mostly the developer willing to be part of game preview and putting it there. It's like saying xbox have strong jrpg support because of FFXV and dark souls

I generally agree with you, but I'd like to point out that Sony has been rather lenient with letting some games on the platform, too.

Life of Black Tiger, some crummy Brick Breaker games, and some really odd RPG game have been let on the PlayStation store.

I'm not sure why these games got on, probably since they don't need the constant patches that these early access games will get over their lifetimes.

I generally agree with you, but I'd like to point out that Sony has been rather lenient with letting some games on the platform, too.

Life of Black Tiger, some crummy Brick Breaker games, and some really odd RPG game have been let on the PlayStation store.

I'm not sure why these games got on, probably since they don't need the constant patches that these early access games will get over their lifetimes.
There is a difference between a shit game and an intentionally unfinished game. Those games all passed certification, but its likely that many of these Early Access titles wouldnt, or that Sony is just uncomfortable selling lots of games thay descrive themselves as 'unfinished'. We really dont know, but comparing Life of Black Tiger to PUBG is not a useful comparison.

dugdug

Banned

I'm not saying it's "strong" support, but, just clearly they do allow early access games. It would stand to reason MS' deal is better considering the number of EA games is higher there. Or maybe they're just more actively pursuing the cause.

There is a difference between a shit game and an intentionally unfinished game. Those games all passed certification, but its likely that many of these Early Access titles wouldnt, or that Sony is just uncomfortable selling lots of games thay descrive themselves as 'unfinished'. We really dont know, but comparing Life of Black Tiger to PUBG is not a useful comparison.

You're right, not sure why I made that comparison. Apologies.

What the hell does the second sentence even mean with context to the topic?

well in this context, that phrase means

spot (the kind of person who reduces massively popular PC games to niche status because, well, it's no *insert flash in the pan, flavor of the month AAA Console Exclusive here*!)

and those people crop up all the time here. ever been in a GAF thread where Minecraft or CS:GO is the topic of discussion?

you're a little too insistent and from where I'm standing you're clearly in the wrong

kazinova

What the hell does the second sentence even mean with context to the topic?

Opinions formed with no immediate knowledge of: PUBG itself and the shape of the landscape of PC games are laid pretty bare in this context. It's humorous when people are dismissive of something because they have no point of reference. There's a couple great examples of these people (or trolls posing as these people) in the first 2 pages.

I thought that was all pretty evident, there's a big opinion divide between people who have played PUBG and people who hard dismiss it out of hand. Seemed humorous to me.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well, I'll be honest, I've never heard of this game till a college friend mentioned she streamed it. Watched some videos and I really don't understand the hype, looks like another boring realistic shooter in a market flooded by them.

I'll stick to the inventive, stylistic Japanese games on PS4 and Switch, regardless what some analyst says will sell better. Not to mention that it's probably too little too late for XB1 anyways.

Top Bottom