• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Xbox One’s Battlegrounds Will Outsell Most of the Japanese PS4 Games

Keinning

I'm fed up of people taking shit out of context to make up a point against what I'm saying.

I'm not saying it doesn't add variety either, of course it does, its just a lot of people make it out to be the be-all-and-end-all of gaming variety. Which, is to be expected on a place like here.

So you're saying its absurd that I don't like the art/feel of Japanese developed games? I'm sorry for having a preference.

It's absurd because you're lumping an entire country (with games as diverse as dark souls and resident evil to the shittiest VN under the sun and stuff like LSD and Mario) under the same "genre". It's as ridiculous as saying "i don't like american games"

As an investor analyst he is interested in what will sell and what will have a bigger effect on companies stock and share value. Presumably within the context of "Ps4 has more exclusives, don't buy shares in Microsoft" his response is, "Xbox does have some exclusives, exclusives that will be super successful, potentially a global phenomenon in the coming years, buy some stock."

Fair enough, can slightly understand that angle although it doesn't come across in the interview.

I won't open the can of worms though as to how much PUBG would affect Microsoft stock price and all that haha

leeh

It's absurd because you're lumping an entire country (with games as diverse as dark souls and resident evil to the shittiest VN under the sun and stuff like LSD and Mario) under the same "genre". It's as ridiculous as saying "i don't like american games"
How many more times do I have to say that most Japanese games have a art/feel that just I don't like? The only one I can recall in liking is Golden Sun.

Ive played Bayonetta, DMC, Silent Hill, Resident Evil and none of them gel with me. I can't really explain it that well.

EvB

OléGunner;244428255 said:
Fair enough, can slightly understand that angle although it doesn't come across in the interview.

I won't open the can of worms though as to how much PUBG would affect Microsoft stock price and all that haha

I agree, it is a quote that has been extracted from a larger interview with the reasoning to make a clickbait article.
That can of worms of which you speak should definitely remain sealed!

AerialAir

Banned
How many more times do I have to say that most Japanese games have a art/feel that just I don't like? The only one I can recall in liking is Golden Sun.

Ive played Bayonetta, DMC, Silent Hill, Resident Evil and none of them gel with me. I can't really explain it that well.

So stuff like Bloodborne and Street Fighter are the same thing when it comes to the art style because they're Japanese?

I'm not saying Japanese games have no variety, I'm not saying all those games are the same, I'm not saying that they're shit games, quite the opposite. They've just never really clicked with me.

What I'm saying here is that on this forum you could have thousands of titles that give you a ton of variety in your catalogue, but if you don't have any Japanese games, your platform doesn't have any "variety".

I think what the original post about 5 exclusives versus 1 merely means five different IPs are more likely to offer variety than a single IP, regardless of genre.

That's it.

leeh

So stuff like Bloodborne and Street Fighter are the same thing when it comes to the art style because they're Japanese?
I don't gel with Dark Souls either, that's another one. Not a big fighting game fan so not played Street Fighter in absolute years.

They just have a certain vibe to them what's different. Its like when Japanese devs do western games, its never the same as a western dev. Same other way round.

I think what the original post about 5 exclusives versus 1 merely means five different IPs are more likely to offer variety than a single IP, regardless of genre.

That's it.
Well yeah I agree with that but this has gone to a whole new level, like ive slaughtered peoples loved ones for saying I generally don't like Japanese games.

PG2G

It's kind of a weird argument because I've been here long enough to watch the pendulum shift from Japanese games to American. Almost every console gamer hated on American games back then, it was basically only EA that anyone had any respect for.

Keinning

I don't want to argue with your preferences. You're free to like/dislike what you want. When you try to use your preferences for a larger context and use this "they all feel the same" argument just because they were developed in the same country (regardless of how different the games are) is when we have an issue. Saying Killer 7, Mario, Street Fighter and Siren share the same art and feel just because they're japanese is nonsense.

You might not miss 'japanese games' (this definition is what is really bothersome - games are not defined by their country of origin but by their genres and characteristics above all) and that's fine, but other xbox users do and would like them hitting the platform as well. Using personal preferences to speak for a large userbase never goes well - for instance, i would glady trade PUBG for Bloodborne on xbox, but i know i'm the minority here so i'm not going to say "no one cares about PUBG, its the same as every battle royale game out there", that would be petty and dumb.

Your insistence on painting everyone disagreeing with you as "lol they mad" is quite childish as well.

EvB

Except there is a very healthy Japanese minecraft, GTA, CoD, Overwatch, Battlefield, Skyrim, Destiny, The Forest (why Japan), etc etc community.

I'm not saying that NOBODY buys them.
Those games combined probably make up less than 1% of videogame revenue in japan.
Hell, even console games likely make up a small % now, why do we think Konami don't give a damn?

leeh

I don't want to argue with your preferences. You're free to like/dislike what you want. When you try to use your preferences for a larger context and use this "they all feel the same" argument just because they were developed in the same country (regardless of how different the games are) is when we have an issue. Saying Killer 7, Mario, Street Fighter and Siren share the same art and feel just because they're japanese is nonsense.

You might not miss 'japanese games' (this definition is what is really bothersome - games are not defined by their country of origin but by their genres and characteristics above all) and that's fine, but other xbox users do and would like them hitting the platform as well. Using personal preferences to speak for a large userbase never goes well - for instance, i would glady trade PUBG for Bloodborne on xbox, but i know i'm the minority here so i'm not going to say "no one cares about PUBG, its the same as every battle royale game out there", that would be petty and dumb.

Your insistence on painting everyone disagreeing with you as "lol they mad" is quite childish as well.
Taken everything I've said out of context again I see. Not bothering.

sublimit

Banned
What I'm saying here is that on this forum you could have thousands of titles that give you a ton of variety in your catalogue, but if you don't have any Japanese games, your platform doesn't have any "variety".

Umm yes you can have some variety even with no Japanese games (thanks mostly to indie titles) but do you agree that a platform that also has a plethora of Japanese titles would have a much bigger variety in its library?

leeh

Umm yes you can have some variety even with no Japanese games (thanks mostly to indie titles) but do you agree that a platform that also has a plethora of Japanese titles would have a much bigger variety in its library?
Of course its a lot more variety, and to be honest, its rude for me to lump all these titles under "Japanese games" but I just don't like them, I can't put my finger on it.

Even have a similar feeling towards Gran Turismo and I love racing sims.

I'm just saying its not the definition of variety, that's all.

krov87

Neo Member
Of course its a lot more variety, and to be honest, its rude for me to lump all these titles under "Japanese games" but I just don't like them, I can't put my finger on it.

Even have a similar feeling towards Gran Turismo and I love racing sims.

I'm just saying its not the definition of variety, that's all.

But you were really looking for games like Scalebound...
Having that feeling to Gran Turismo doesn't make sense.

leeh

But you were really looking for games like Scalebound...
Having that feeling to Gran Turismo doesn't make sense.
Scalebound looked shit.

Doesn't make sense to me either tbh.
A racing game, an action RPG, a survival horror, a traditional RPG, a fighting game, a sports game.

Yeah, that's not variety.

Not at all.
I see you're commenting referring to what I'm saying and not quoting me. So, you're saying that's variety because they're Japanese cause Western devs make all those games too.

leeh

i mean, before it was cancelled, you said here that you were really looking for it.
Can you find that? Cause I don't recall saying that. Always looked crap to me. I was one of the people saying I don't get why this is a massive thing now as everyone was saying it looked shit after it got cancelled.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Battlegrounds will be big on any platform that'll play it. It's a blast on PC and will likely be great on Xbox One and PS4 as well.
I don't really understand the link with Japanese PS4 games though, aside it just being a cheap dig at Sony.

I do wonder about how it'll run on consoles though. It's still extremely buggy and often janky even on high-end PC's and I wonder how that'll fare on Xbox and Playstation.
As slow as the PC version is receiving updates and fixes i'm curious on where they find the time to create a console version that's up to the standards expected on these platforms.

I feel PC gamers are generally much, much more lenient about games being buggy, broken and/or early access games in general.

krov87

Neo Member
Can you find that? Cause I don't recall saying that. Always looked crap to me. I was one of the people saying I don't get why this is a massive thing now as everyone was saying it looked shit after it got cancelled.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164046340&postcount=554

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167482013&postcount=618
In this post you were dissapointed because they didn't show the game at gamescon.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174103254&postcount=4882
here you said it looked a bit clunky but you were still really interested in this japanese rpg.

Rains

Prediction: Explosively popular video game will outsell video games from moderately popular genre.
Indeed its not very hard to predict who is this patcher and why should i/we care what he says does he have a good record ? of not predicting the odvous

In this post you were dissapointed because they didn't show the game at gamescon.

here you said it looked a bit clunky but you were still really interested in this japanese rpg.

jayzd.gif

Wereroku

Clearly japanese games that release on the One become infused with the western feel and overwrite the japanese feel he doesn't like.

It's amazing that this forum, a videogame enthusiast forum, still doesn't understand Pachter's job and gets lit up for 10 pages whenever he does his job.

Pachter is a financial analyst who is hired by financial planners to comment on some specific industries, most relevant to us, the videogame industry. He doesn't really care about games anymore than he needs to for his job, which is important to doing his job well, which he actually does.

So, when somebody is like "WHO CARES, WHY WOULD HE COMMENT ON THIS, DUHHH," or "This is so random why would he even say this??"
  1. Who cares: His clients who hire his company for market research
  2. Why would he comment on this: Because it's his job and he has to
  3. Duhhh: Not really, the people making financial decisions based on this information aren't videogame enthusiasts and so something that seems very obvious to us (one of the hottest new shooters will outsell relatively lesser known JRPGs), is about as obvious to uninvolved investors as, say, whether a new blood pressure pharmaceutical drug will outsell a psoriasis pharmaceutical drug. Enthusiasts in the Plaque Psoriasis Industry might go "Duhh! OBviously blood pressure drugs will outsell psoriasis!" but for a fund manager who has really no idea about which drugs will outsell which other drugs, or which videogames will outsell which other videogames, his market projections are valuable. It's why they pay him for it.

To us Pachter's industry projections always seem either obvious or obviously wrong. But for someone outside of the industry, who is managing a fund that is spread across 20 industries and multimedia entertainment happens to be one of them, it's valuable information. It all seems obvious to us that "A western shooter will obviously outsell a japanese game!" "Oh, ok, then Prey (a polished western shooter) will outsell Pokemon (a japanese game about finding pocket-sized monsters) right?" "Well, no, obviously Prey won't outsell Pokemon..." "But you said...."

leeh

I love how the mantra on this forum that anything Japanese means your platform has "variety".

No, you've just got eastern games which have an art style which is a unique taste in westerners and is more-so liked within hard-core gaming circles, like NeoGAF.

I for one, hate playing Japanese games.

It's almost as if western AAA games are treated as a given on the PS4/Xbone but the addition of those great Japanese games to the PS4's library adds a lot more variety to it. But nah, it couldn't possibly be that, we all know the PS4 doesn't get western AAA games!

leeh gonna leeh

leeh

I thought you didn't like Japanese games because of their art style. Is it about the gameplay now?
Oh more out of context quotes.

Do you think I stick my nose up at a game before I've looked into it because it's Japanese? I also said art & feel, and these are the games I've actually played.

Chobel

Challenge accepted.
I'd love to join the hype train!

My main wishes:
FM6 - Weather or go home
GoW - Give me a remastered first and a port of the second 2
Crackdown - I want to see a city wide destruction demo dammit
Scalebound - Show me some gameplay! I'm really looking forward to this.
Halo 5 - Story demo please.

I cant even. What's with all the negativity in everything? I feel like people are trying to find a fault in everything.

Crackdown 3 looked amazing, finally showed us some of the cloud tech. Cant wait to see what it looks like further in.

Quantum Break, did they change the main guy? Im confused? Looks frantic and stylish, definately going to be picking it up.

Scalebound looked a bit clunky this early on, but riding a dragon in an rpg? Count me in.

Forza 6, quietly showed Nurburgring in the wet and online racing leagues based on professionalism with prizes!

Just Cause 3 looks amazing, Halo 5 MP looks awesome. Hate esports me, but I know so many people who love it.

How can anyone say DVR is a negative? Thats amazing, definately be using that.

Wished the showed the UI more and less indie and more big game time... but this thread.

Edit: Totally forgot about Halo Wars 2. Yes!

EDIT: Beaten XD

sublimit

Banned
The point is 'Sony may have all those games for free but Microsoft payed for the one game that matters'

Now that i fixed your quote could you tell me again what his point is?I mean how can you tell which in the end is the most profitable "deal that matters" and which isn't?

Keinning

Now that i fixed your quote could you tell me again what his point is?

First you have to show the receipts proving microsoft paid for "exclusivity" instead of this just being another early access hitting the console earlier like many others due to game preview

leeh

Challenge accepted.
Late to the party pal.

I love because I said the definition of variety on here is Japenese games now everyones trying to catch me out whether I said I was looking forward to Scalebound. Fucking hilarious, carry on.

Apathy

Detective GAF to save the day.

Clearly japanese games that release on the One become infused with the western feel and overwrite the japanese feel he doesn't like.

699731.jpg

Top Bottom