• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Xbox One’s Battlegrounds Will Outsell Most of the Japanese PS4 Games

I know it's early days, but it runs pretty disastrously and is incredibly buggy. Booting up the game is just unsightly. It'll have to have a LOT of work done before I could recommend anyone picking it up on a console. I really don't believe in unfinished games on console.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If we're talking about the holiday season, that might be a fair fight. PUBG is white-hot right now, and should only be boosted by appearing on a console. One that will have an affordable SKU (for late-adopters and PS4-owners) and a Premium SKU (for those looking to upgrade) on shelves this holiday.

PUBG is going to give the One a pretty substantial boost, while I feel like the target audience for Nier/Nioh/Persona/Yakuza owned a PS4 before those games even released.

Of course, long term sales are impossible to speculate until we know when PUBG hits PS4.

Good point about PS4 possibly already having those target users. But then you could argue the same for Xbox - isn't it seen as the box for shooters, so the target market for PUBG may also already own an Xbox

KORNdoggy

Good point about PS4 possibly already having those target users. But then you could argue the same for Xbox - isn't it seen as the box for shooters, so the target market for PUBG may also already own an Xbox

when the 360 was leading the game, yeah. but since publishers go where the market is strongest, it's currently the PS4. it has marketing deals for cod, battlefront, destiny etc. it's where the playerbase will likely be largest and be maintained for longer.

Usobuko

Banned
Yep. You can play PUBG on Windows. Which is Microsoft's platform. The Xbox platform was a spinoff of their Windows gaming platform. Their snarky plan to "nuke Japanese consoles from the living room" with "Manhattan Project" (DirectX) hit a wee bit a snag because infiltrating the living room with a PC proved a bit difficult. So "Project Midway" (DirectXBox/Xbox), was the second pincer of their attack on Japanese consoles. It wasn't official, but the nudge-nudge, wink-wink goal of Microsoft creating modern PC gaming was to undermine the Japanese games industry. That's what the tech evangelists told developers off the record to get them on-side, even if the corporate heads denied it.

But I'm rambling. My point is that if you play the game on PC, you're already serving Microsoft's purposes quite nicely.

Western hegemony hurray!

I know it's early days, but it runs pretty disastrously and is incredibly buggy. Booting up the game is just unsightly. It'll have to have a LOT of work done before I could recommend anyone picking it up on a console. I really don't believe in unfinished games on console.

Compared to most Early Access games it's a god damn miracle product.

Pachter's right, but PS4's lineup this year has been more about the sheer breadth of variety than any individual game being mega hit, so the comparison is odd.

Apathy

It does make me think whether having one big exclusives like XBox is better than 5 smaller exclusives like PS.
Is imagine 5 smaller is better than one big one for consumers. Also has the added benefit that you don't put all your eggs into one basket. Pubg will get a lot of people but what happens if after starting the team does something stupid and fucks the game over where people dislike the change and drop it

sublimit

Banned
How much money MS payed for the timed exclusivity of PUBG and how much money Sony payed for games like Yakuza,P5,Nioh and Nier (to name a few)?

It does make me think whether having one big exclusives like XBox is better than 5 smaller exclusives like PS.

No. Especially when you consider those smaller exclusives were in addition to biggers one like MLB, Horizon and Crash. It's not an either or situation for PS. Also PUBG is coming to PS next year so you don't even have to choose.

Popular game, so I'm sure it will do well and I'm sure the eventual PS4 version of PUGB will sell well too. Bluehole Studio recently hinted at it coming to more platforms in the future, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it on PS4 at some point.

They said "We're excited to announce that PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS is coming to Xbox One," but also said "We're always looking at various platforms to potentially introduce our game, but have nothing further to announce at this time."

leeh

depends if you like less variety i guess? not sure why anyone would.
I love how the mantra on this forum that anything Japanese means your platform has "variety".

No, you've just got eastern games which have an art style which is a unique taste in westerners and is more-so liked within hard-core gaming circles, like NeoGAF.

I for one, hate playing Japanese games.

KORNdoggy

I love how the mantra on this forum that anything Japanese means your platform has "variety".

No, you've just got eastern games which have an art style which is a unique taste in westerners and is more-so liked within hard-core gaming circles, like NeoGAF.

image.php

the guy i quoted made zero mention of where the 5 exclusives came from, simply that he wondered if 1 big exclusive was better than 5 smaller ones. more exclusives tends to mean more variety. so stop getting your panties in a twist.

EDIT: also what you described IS variety. or are you really arguing that a platform that actually has JRPG's like ni no kuni and persona or japanese action games like nioh, automata and yakuza have the same or less variety than a platform that has non of those games? lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What if you arent a fan of Japanese role playing games or anime but you quite like shooters? lol, this thread.

Every Japanese game released for PS4 is apparently a role playing game and 'anime'

I don't care about the PS4 part of the equation, but the attitude towards Japanese games some people have is mind boggling

I think your lying. ALL Japanese games? Impossible unless you have been a PC player your whole life or only started gaming on OG Xbox and never owned another system.

Again, this weird viewpoint about Japanese games is very strange

Why should end users ie gamers care about how much ONE game might sell or how many boxes it will move we just want good games.Obviously good sales helps keep series alive but I'd much rather have the many options Sony has provided this year than putting all my eggs in one basket.

gamz

Why should end users ie gamers care about how much ONE game might sell or how many boxes it will move we just want good games.Obviously good sales helps keep series alive but I'd much rather have the many options Sony has provided this year than putting all my eggs in one basket.

Because that one game is HUGE.

leeh

image.php

the guy i quoted made zero mention of where the 5 exclusives came from, simply that he wondered if 1 big exclusive was better than 5 smaller ones. more exclusives tends to mean more variety. so stop getting your panties in a twist.

EDIT: also what you described IS variety. or are you really arguing that a platform that actually has JRPG's like ni no kuni and persona or japanese action games like nioh, automata and yakuza have the same or less variety than a platform that has non of those games? lol
My summary of the mantra I feel on here, like I explained:
Not a big presence of Asian games = No variety
A big presence of Asian games = Variety

Personally, it makes no difference to me as I don't care for them. The only JRPG I've played and loved is Golden Sun.

Every Japanese game released for PS4 is apparently a role playing game and 'anime'

I don't care about the PS4 part of the equation, but the attitude towards Japanese games some people have is mind boggling

I think your lying. ALL Japanese games? Impossible unless you have been a PC player your whole life or only started gaming on OG Xbox and never owned another system.

Again, this weird viewpoint about Japanese games is very strange

I don't mind Resident Evil or Metal Gear. Does that count ;)

Apathy

Holy shit this post. Is variety because those games are from different genres. They aren't from the eastern genre. Nier, Nioh, Yaukza, and Persona and the other are different from each other that they give.... wait for it... Variety.

wapplew

I know right? Don't know why Phil Spencer waste resource on Japanese games. Could have save that plane ticket for more exclusive deal like this.

Holy shit this post. Is variety because those games are from different genres. They aren't from the eastern genre. Nier, Nioh, Yaukza, and Persona and the other are different from each other that they give.... wait for it... Variety.

What are you talking about!

Everybody's golf and Nioh are definitely the same genre the Japanese games genre.

leeh

You've literally just gave me 5 RPG's and said that's variety.

Keinning

end users ie gamers cared enough to defend a bullshit practice like restricting crossplay or insanely backwards communication features just because their favourite company is doing it. caring about the sales of a big game is harmless compared to it

You've literally just gave me 5 RPG's and said that's variety.

stop embarassing yourself, you don't know what those games are

Cornbread78

tumblr_inline_onlui3bvm71ud6wc7_500.gif

Good morning GAF....

depends if you like less variety i guess? not sure why anyone would.

Is imagine 5 smaller is better than one big one for consumers. Also has the added benefit that you don't put all your eggs into one basket. Pubg will get a lot of people but what happens if after starting the team does something stupid and fucks the game over where people dislike the change and drop it

Well, it's clear that it's better for consumers but I'm also considering if it's better for platform holders. Because if it is, then it's win-win for everyone and there's no issues.

But if it's not, then there might be conflict with both sides.

leeh

stop embarassing yourself, you don't know what those games are
All their genres are RPGs other than Yakuza which is an open-world fighter.

Have a look on Wikipedia and see what genre it lists them as then.

You all took my point way out of context anyway.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This is such a random comparison...it's kind of like stating "Call of Duty on Xbox One is going to outsell turn-based RPGs from Finland on Ataribox in 2018" or something.

Keinning

And this is what i meant with "you don't know what they are, stop embarassing yourself". Using wikipedia as your source is embarassing. Just stop. They are "all rpgs" as much as gears, superhot, uncharted, borderlands and splatoon are "all shooters". You don't like those games, that's fine. But no need to be this petty about it.

You all took my point way out of context anyway.

Do you think all RPGs are the same?

Like, do you not know how Persona 5 is different from Nioh?

leeh

And this is what i meant with "you don't know what they are, stop embarassing yourself". Using wikipedia as your source is embarassing. Just stop. They are "all rpgs" as much as gears, superhot, uncharted, borderlands and splatoon are "all shooters". You don't like those games, that's fine. But no need to be this petty about it.

Do you think all RPGs are the same?
Just defending how the addition of JRPG's is the definition of having variety is only asserting my point.

You all getting your knickers in a twist because of me saying the NeoGAF definition of variety is Japanese games only proves my point.

Edit: Just for the record of course I dont think they're all the same. Just like how I wouldn't say Witcher and Borderlands are the same, but they're still RPG's.

Strange assertion by Pachter, comparing PUBG to uhh Japanese games?
I fail to see the point in it personally...

And yeah, of course the game will do crazy numbers on XB1, it's one of the most popular games in the world at the minute.

Can't discredit the Japanese game launches this year too which have sold very well according to NPD and GFK chart track. Every game has it's place!
Definitely one of Pach's more "water is wet" type comments lately.

Just defending how the addition of JRPG's is the definition of having variety is only asserting my point.

You all getting your knickers in a twist because of me saying the NeoGAF definition of variety is Japanese games only proves my point.

Edit: Just for the record of course I dont think they're all the same. Just like how I wouldn't say Witcher and Borderlands are the same, but they're still RPG's.

Don't think the bolded is true.
Variety is all encompassing on Gaf, not restricted to Japanese titles.

No...? We're saying you don't know what those games are if you think they're all the same 0_o

So... If they're different, that means they're a variety right?

I mean it's not exactly a trick question!

black070

I mean, it's not like the PS4 doesn't have Western games too, so even if you want to be reductive, having Japanese games ontop does offer more variety.

Keinning

so what? you know they're not the same, just (vaguely) share the same genre, yet still you claim they offer no variety? are consoles not allowed to have more than one game in a genre then?

leeh

No...? We're saying you don't know what those games are if you think they're all the same 0_o

So... If they're different, that means they're a variety right?

I mean it's not exactly a trick question!

I mean, it's not like the PS4 doesn't have Western games too, so even if you want to be reductive, having Japanese games ontop does offer more variety.

so what? you know they're not the same, just (vaguely) share the same genre, yet still you claim they offer no variety? are consoles not allowed to have more than one game in a genre then?
I'm not saying Japanese games have no variety, I'm not saying all those games are the same, I'm not saying that they're shit games, quite the opposite. They've just never really clicked with me.

What I'm saying here is that on this forum you could have thousands of titles that give you a ton of variety in your catalogue, but if you don't have any Japanese games, your platform doesn't have any "variety".

EvB

OléGunner;244427406 said:
Strange assertion by Pachter, comparing PUBG to uhh Japanese games?

As an investor analyst he is interested in what will sell and what will have a bigger effect on companies stock and share value. Presumably within the context of "Ps4 has more exclusives, don't buy shares in Microsoft" his response is, "Xbox does have some exclusives, exclusives that will be super successful, potentially a global phenomenon in the coming years, buy some stock."

Keinning

I'm not saying Japanese games have no variety, I'm not saying all those games are the same, I'm not saying that they're shit games, quite the opposite. They've just never really clicked with me.

What I'm saying here is that on this forum you could have thousands of titles that give you a ton of variety in your catalogue, but if you don't have any Japanese games, your platform doesn't have any "variety".

you can have variety without them, but you limit yourself heavily by not having one of the most prolific gamemaking countries onboard with your console. and some genres are indeed heavily skewered towards japanese devs so not having them also means you miss all those genres as well. i don't know why this is so absurd or hard for you to admit. i have a xbox too and i do it without any problems. saying "i don't miss japanese games" is as absurd as saying "xbox only have shooters" - both are different extremes of ridiculous exaggeration

leeh

you can have variety without them, but you limit yourself heavily by not having one of the most prolific gamemaking countries onboard with your console. and some genres are indeed heavily skewered towards japanese devs so not having them also means you miss all those genres as well. i don't know why this is so absurd or hard for you to admit. i have a xbox too and i do it without any problems. saying "i don't miss japanese games" is as absurd as saying "xbox only have shooters" - both are different extremes of ridiculous exaggeration
I'm fed up of people taking shit out of context to make up a point against what I'm saying.

I'm not saying it doesn't add variety either, of course it does, its just a lot of people make it out to be the be-all-and-end-all of gaming variety. Which, is to be expected on a place like here.

So you're saying its absurd that I don't like the art/feel of Japanese developed games? I'm sorry for having a preference.

Top Bottom