• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paid Skyrim mods being removed from Steam

inm8num2

We did it!

I didn't feel too strongly either way, but I agreed with all the fears about where this kind of system could be headed. I fully endorse modders having the choice to ask for payment, or people offering donations as a token of appreciation and support. Ultimately this didn't feel like the best way to implement such a paid mods system, and I'm glad to see it scrapped, even if just for the near future.

Dryk

So how long is it going to take for the modding community to piece itself back together after this? The rift that paid mods caused really wide.

Trifling disagreements about execution aside, I still believe that creating an income model for mod creators is a good idea. Hopefully they take the complexity of the situation to heart and take the idea straight back to the drawing board.
The way I read the announcement the system's going back into the oven. Where it belongs.

Etnos

Banned
Gotta love the snarky response of some dev-media in twitter because ya know: irrational entitled internet killed a great idea.

As if the nonsensical-unilateral poor implementation of the idea by corporate overlords Bethesda-Valve has nothing to do with this failure

It's on the people, as per usual. We can't have nice things because we just don't understand Corporate good will.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here.

This is more worrisome. It sounds like "we'll try in a smaller community, and begin from there". It's bound to be tried again. But hey better to win a battle than not having won anything!

It boggles my mind that so many people think modders, many of whom are talented 3D artists, coders, and designers, don't deserve to get paid for their time and effort, yet the same people who believe this crap have no problem with YouTubers making millions of dollars just for filming themselves playing videogames.

Making money from playing video games and shouting expletives on camera = OK
Making money from high-quality, highly-technical content for videogames that extends the life of your games for decades = BAD

It's sickening.

KissVibes

Banned
If you want to get paid for something, sell your goddamn soul and go be a banker or something. I'm glad Valve found what was left of their souls and stopped corrupting young developers into wanting money for their artistic expressions, which should remain free for all to enjoy. Forever.

Eusis

All they have to do is give a higher cut to the modders
That's my thought, though I'd been keeping somewhat distanced.

Well, we also needed time, I think. You won't put out good paid content overnight, especially for what I was hoping for (using it almost like RPGMaker or something to make campaigns and whatnot in them, not just charging $5 for some cool looking sword), but maybe they can either re-approach this later or introduce it with Elder Scrolls 6.

RK9039

No they won't. Don't confuse GAF with the internet at large. I really doubt many people outside of GAF were arguing percentages. They were arguing something that has always been free now being monetized. This will come up again even bigger when it's done from the begging.

Yeah that's true actually. I should have said that I wouldn't really mind.

Nyoro SF

Smart maneuver. The negative possibilities that could have arisen from this are pretty big and would've changed the mod scene for the worse. Maybe there's a better way, but...

It's a viable concept, but it should never have been retroactively implemented in Skyrim years after the fact in a massive disruption of a stable, healthy mod community. It should also probably be curated in some way and not a free for all of "*shrug*, send a DMCA takedown if someone steals your stuff" in a community where everyone's using everyone else's stuff since it had not been for profit. And the revenue split itself, while justifiable in a broad sense, just did not leave a good taste in anyone's mouth when it came to Bethesda in particular taking 50% away from the modders who fixed and kept relevant an otherwise broken game.

Eloquently said.

Wonder if we will see the idea revisited with a different game.

TESVI/Fallout 4, duh. >_>

Glad to see they changed course for now. If they want to revisit the idea in the future and not half-ass it (which is probably okay), they've clearly learned something today.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
It boggles my mind that so many people think modders, many of whom are talented 3D artists, coders, and designers, don't deserve to get paid for their time and effort, yet the same people who believe this crap have no problem with YouTubers making millions of dollars just for filming themselves playing videogames.

Making money from high-quality, highly-technical content for videogames that extends the life of your games for decades = BAD

It's sickening.

This is not what people think and this is not what the problem was.

Smart move to rescind it.

TomShoe

Banned

It's sickening.

The part that's sickening is Valve taking a 75% cut that's intended to support the modder. That is just way too much. Why not just have a showcase of the most popular mods with a donate button nearby? That way, if people want the modder to continue to work, they can donate, and this keeps people who may not have the means to pay from getting shafted.

It's sickening.
Not that I disagree with modders deserving revenue for their work if they choose to, but it's kind of hard to see their side of the story when you see people taking shit that was free until then, removing it from free services, slapping a price tag and hoping no one notices or cares.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Good, they need a much better system if they ever try this again.

Zane

The part that's sickening is Valve taking a 75% cut that's intended to support the modder. That is just way too much. Why not just have a showcase of the most popular mods with a donate button nearby? That way, if people want the modder to continue to work, they can donate, and this keeps people who may not have the means to pay from getting shafted.

You should talk to some actual modders who take donations. Ask them how much money they get.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm glad that they listened to customer feedback and were able to sort this out before too many other paid mods started hitting the marketplace.

That said, I'm actually okay with the idea of paid mods done in this fashion for future games, if it's something that's done that way from day one. While it's true that it may stifle and splinter the modding community, it will let the mod creators create proper licenses for their work going forward. That was one of the biggest headaches here, since the entire community was run without money changing hands, it seems like nobody bothered to license and properly attach terms to their work (as is common in the world of software development) which resulted in a lot of people getting upset because the stuff they worked on was now being sold for profit.

Also I hope that Bethesda (and any future company that attempts this) takes note that most people feel bad about the revenue split that was on offer here. I know that from a business standpoint 25% is quite generous, but it's a difficult pill for us consumers to swallow because most of us feel that the developers deserve more than that for their hard work. Perhaps they could add a sliding scale like Humble Bundle has where users can choose their own revenue split if they'd like. I'm sure Humble's example would hold up well because the majority of people don't ever bother to change it. That way, if you set the default split to low, at least you'll have some relevant data on what people are willing to pay and who they're willing to pay it to.

Finally, I sincerely hope that the people who are getting refunds automatically as part of this process don't get locked out of using the Steam marketplace for a week.

HariKari

It boggles my mind that so many people think modders, many of whom are talented 3D artists, coders, and designers, don't deserve to get paid for their time and effort

Might have something to do with them doing it for free for close to two decades now. People want modders to be compensated, but in a way that is fair, and in a way that doesn't completely destroy the community that is hallowed PC ground.

Not that I disagree with modders deserving revenue for their work if they choose to, but it's kind of hard to see their side of the story when you see people taking shit that was free until then, removing it from free services, slapping a price tag and hoping no one notices or cares.

Or worse, keeping the free one around but adding ads to it lol

Steroyd

"Optional donation systems" are useless. No one actually donates. There's nothing inherently wrong with people being paid for their time and effort and work if the copyright holder agrees to allow them to do so and anyone who thinks there is can fuck right off.

Patreon disagrees.

I'm seeing more and more youtubers turning to Patreon nowadays.

cdyhybrid

It's sickening.

Here comes the spin.

I can see it now, front-page articles across gaming websites with headlines like "SKYRIM MODDING COMMUNITY THINKS MODDERS SHOULD WORK FOR FREE".

oti

Banned
One more 180 and they're just like Microsoft am I right? Get it? 180 guys. One just like Xbox One guys. Guys?

It's too late. I'm exhausted.

Belmire

Happy happy!

tf2_victory_poster.png

This is not what people think and this is not what the problem was.

Smart move to rescind it.

Really? you think the vast majority of the people speaking out against this was because the modders weren't getting a big enough cut? I really really doubt they give a shit about how much a modder is making and just don't ever want to shell out for something they are already getting for free.

I know that they may have had the best of intentions.... but if they truly wanted to see the next Killing Floor style game come out, they'd have simply added a donate button, not a full on buisness model that was almost gauranteed to do more harm than good.

Still, kudos to Valve for actually listening.

Top Bottom