• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pakistani governor who opposed anti-blasphemy laws killed by own bodyguard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
A Pakistani politician who stood up against the country's tough anti-blasphemy laws has been gunned down by one of his own bodyguards in a brazen daylight attack in the capital Islamabad.

The governor of Punjab province, Salman Taseer, was shot dead as he got into his car at an upmarket shopping centre.

The Punjab governor was an outspoken critic of religious extremists and had called for the scrapping of the death penalty for the crime of blasphemy.

Mr Taseer was a member of the ruling Pakistan People's Party (PPP) and was a close ally of president Asif Ali Zardari.

Prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has condemned the assassination and declared three days of national mourning.

Hundreds of people gathered outside Mr Taseer's home last night to express their shock at what had happened.

Mr Taseer was one of the most moderate political voices in the PPP, which this week slumped into a major political crisis when its junior coalition partner walked out of the federal government.

He was outspoken against the Taliban and other Islamist militants hunkered down in the country's north-west, and who have made increasing inroads into Punjab in recent years.

Most recently he had spoken out against controversial blasphemy laws.

Blasphemy, which carries the death penalty in Pakistan, has been a very volatile issue, with particular focus on the case of a young Christian woman accused of blasphemy.

Mr Taseer had said the death penalty was too severe as a punishment, coming out publicly in support for the young woman and calling for a change in the law.

His stance drew strong criticism from some Muslim clerics in Pakistan and Mr Taseer had said he believed he was a target because of it.

Interior minister Rehman Malik says the killer was a member of Mr Taseer's own security team.

He said the killer quickly confessed to the crime and had apparently worked for the governor on five or six previous occasions.

"He confessed that he killed the governor himself because he had called the blasphemy law a black law," Mr Malik said.

"He has confessed his crime and surrendered his gun to police after the attack," he told reporters.

The brazen daylight shooting came as wealthy Pakistanis and expatriates were enjoying a late lunch or afternoon coffee in nearby cafes.

Spent cartridges littered the road outside Kohsar market in Islamabad's F6 sector, just a short distance from where Mr Taseer kept a home, witnesses said.

Local administration chief Amir Ahmad Ali said Mr Taseer died in hospital after being wounded in the shooting in F6.

"I was in the market. I heard the gunfire and hit the ground," said Shaukat, 28, a labourer.

"Later on, while running for shelter, I saw a man in uniform being grabbed by police. Later on, police officials said he was the attacker."

Police and anti-terrorism forces surround the area and the market closed after the attack.

US State Department spokesman PJ Crowley has expressed his condolences over the governor's assassination.

"From our standpoint his death is a great loss," he said.

"He was committed to helping the government and people of Pakistan persevere in their campaign to bring peace and stability to their country."

Mr Taseer made his money as a chartered accountant, setting up consultancy firms and a brokerage house, and with investments in telecommunications, the media, insurance and real estate before going into politics.

He served as minister for industry and production under former military ruler Pervez Musharraf from 2007 to 2008.

Link here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/04/3106398.htm

Kad5

How did Pakistan become like this exactly in regards to radical Islam?

I can't even comprehend this.

This is coming from a very liberal shi'ite muslim.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Kad5 said:

From my limited understanding of the country's history I believe a lot of the radicalism stems from a history of weak, corrupt governments further undermined by the military and intelligence department leading to a vacuum of moral order. Add paranoia about India which includes state-funded terrorist organisations including the harboring and training of Al-Queda and it's not a surprise that radicalism flourishes.

Zapages

Check the Pakistan's 80s with Zia ul Haq's pro Wahabi Islam stance and the whole Mujaheedeen aka Al Queada formation in Afghanistan. Also this military leader was very anti-music and other types of things.

Additionally before this Pakistan was very liberal... Actually in Pakistan the:

1) The High class is very liberal and a lot more than here.
2) Middle class is mildly conservative.
3) Folks who are moving from the middle to high class try to be liberal thus lends to many problems in the society.
4) Low class is very either extremely conservative or just go with the flow.

xbhaskarx

TIME: Shock and Awe in Punjab: Pakistan Assassination Highlights Country's Divide

Yet despite the official mourning, many Pakistanis were not saddened by his violent death supposedly at the hands of Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, a bodyguard allegedly furious at Taseer's opposition to a blasphemy law that would punish apostates from Islam with death. One caller to a live TV show declared, "It was a glorious act [Qadri] did for Islam." A Facebook fan page for the accused was constructed within hours of the news of the assassination.

Raza Rumi, features editor of the weekly Friday Times, told TIME he thought the governor's murder would lead to a further narrowing of the liberal space in the country. "It's becoming more and more clear that only one kind of Islam is being allowed to flourish in this country," he said. "With Salman Taseer's death, a voice of reason and tolerance has been silenced forever." Shehla Akram, president of Punjab's Women Chamber of Commerce and Industry, who recently held an award ceremony at Governor House, said Taseer's murder would result in many steps backward for women's empowerment. "He was one of the most progressive leaders of Pakistan and one who was wholly committed to improving conditions for women in the country," she said. Indeed, Qadri's anger was allegedly ignited by Taseer's championing of the legal rights of a woman named Aasia Bibi who had converted to Christianity and had been condemned to death under the blasphemy law. (See the case of Aasia Bibi and how Christianity led to a death sentence in Pakistan.)

On Nov. 22, accompanied by his wife and daughter, Taseer visited Aasia, who sits in jail, to show his support. The gesture led to protests by conservative parties like the Tahafuz-e-Namoos-e-Risalat Mahnaz, which took to the streets to chant slogans against Taseer. Effigies of Taseer were burned during protests in Lahore and other cities, and slogans such as "Victory to Islam" and "Down with Taseer" were chanted on the streets. On the day of Taseer's death, Lahore remained divided on the issue of the blasphemy law, which he called the "black law."

someone find this pro-assassination Facebook page

Zapages

Jason's Ultimatum said:
It's the PML-N you have to worry about.

PML - N means nothing dude. Pakistan Muslim League - Nawaz Shareef.

There is PML - Q - which was started by Musharaf.

In end of the of day, I rather support Imran Khan then any stupid corrupt politician in Pakistan who is wishing for a change.

Zapages said:
In end of the of day, I rather support Imran Khan then any stupid corrupt politician in Pakistan who is wishing for a change.
I used to think Imran Khan's party was in cahoots with the religious establishment, but I started listening to his interviews and he sounds like a good leader. He is maligned by MQM supporters for some reason though.

Yeah, I was very saddened by this story.

People take religion way too seriously. Look, I'm happy for you if you have faith. But nothing other people is really going to fuck-up your god now, is it? I mean really . . . isn't your god all-powerful? Are a few little names called going to hurt her? No. This is about you being a brain-washed zombie.

that part of the world...just smh.

feels like there's less than a 50/50 chance they grow out of this phase before the region sparks a real world war.

Zapages said:
3) Folks who are moving from the middle to high class try to be liberal thus lends to many problems in the society.
Sounds the same as everywhere else.

Except there are always some high class conservatives who like the system because it allows them manipulate the low class conservatives into thinking & doing various things that help them.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Kad5 said:

Pakistan became like this because of pandering to radicals for their proxy games for years, people lose confidence in corrupt politician after corrupt politician, and general economic neglect.

stilgar said:
You said "This", like you were talking about "Him". Not "this", like "you".

this is so blasphemy, you're so fucked.

you said "You" like you were talking about "Him" and not "you" like "him." (did i do this right?)

Zapages said:
Check the Pakistan's 80s with Zia ul Haq's pro Wahabi Islam stance and the whole Mujaheedeen aka Al Queada formation in Afghanistan. Also this military leader was very anti-music and other types of things.

The country is hardly divided evenly between these groups however. Pakistan is not a counbtry filled with a middle-high class populace. The vast majority of the people will be working class or below. Middle class or high class people should leave the country if they have any sense, unless they have some kind of investment or power in the country. In which case they could even be part of the problem.

Zapages said:
PML - N means nothing dude. Pakistan Muslim League - Nawaz Shareef.

There is PML - Q - which was started by Musharaf.

Well, he is a superstar:

Imraan_Khan.jpg

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Maleficence said:
The country is hardly divided evenly between these groups however. Pakistan is not a counbtry filled with a middle-high class populace. The vast majority of the people will be working class or below. Middle class or high class people should leave the country if they have any sense, unless they have some kind of investment or power in the country. In which case they could even be part of the problem.

disagree

this is how countries become shitty, when the educated and those who "can do", quit on their country and leave it completely to the dickheads.

Zapages

RustyNails said:
I used to think Imran Khan's party was in cahoots with the religious establishment, but I started listening to his interviews and he sounds like a good leader. He is maligned by MQM supporters for some reason though.

MQM's leader is bad as Shareef and Zadari... MQM's "supportors" are racist who like to kill anyone who is not a mohajir (immigrated from India) after separation. They don't want to give Pushton, Balochi, nor Sindhis jobs in Karachi and have threaten with the PPP create an independent nation. :lol Thus the clash of Imran Khan who does not like them controlling Karachi like bunch of thugs and killing people for the sake of keeping control over the city. :|

Regardless Ataf Hussan runs a party by sitting in England... :lol Its pathetically sad in my opinion.

Unlike many of the politicians there, Imran Khan, Haroon, Abrar ul Haq, and Hadiqa, and bunch of others stars are doing a lot for the people of Pakistan for free. :)

~Devil Trigger~ said:
disagree

this is how countries become shitty, when the educated and those who "can do", quit on their country and leave it completely to the dickheads.

It's funny that you think Pakistan hasn't already become shitty. I dont see anything saving Pakistan at this point.

Zapages

Maleficence said:

There is huge middle class there because my relatives and cousins belong to it... All of them have white collar jobs ie. engineer, doctors, accountant, computer technician at some big company, or working for the government. Instead they are more concerned on getting a better education and helping or living in the society they live in. Some do leave the country and move to Dubai, Kenya, Europe, Australia, UK, and US, but the vast majority stays there.

They are the silent/apathetic majority in Pakistan that does nothing because they know the corrupt leaders will be able to buy their nomination or win the election through the use of buying vote of the poor villager.

High class probably makes less than 5% of nation.

PS: They live a lot more lavish lives then anyone of us here do. They have maids, that come and clean their place, sometimes cook food, and sometimes even to take care of their children. The difference is that there is no health care there compared to here.

The media makes it sound a lot worse than how the things are actually there.

Like Imran Khan is any better. The guy aligns himself with pro-Taliban leaders who wants to wage a holy war against the United States. The guy is nuts, and I hate to be pessimistic, but I don't ever see Pakistan being stable until something is done with the Taliban and AQ.

Alucrid

Banned
Zapages said:
There is huge middle class there because my relatives and cousins belong to it... All of them have white collar jobs ie. engineer, doctors, accountant, computer technician at some big company, or working for the government. Instead they are more concerned on getting a better education and helping or living in the society they live in. Some do leave the country and move to Dubai, Kenya, Europe, Australia, UK, and US, but the vast majority stays there.

They are the silent/apathetic majority in Pakistan that does nothing because they know the corrupt leaders will be able to buy their nomination or win the election through the use of buying vote of the poor villager.

High class probably makes less than 5% of nation.

PS: They live a lot more lavish lives then anyone of us here do. They have maids, that come and clean their place, sometimes cook food, and sometimes even to take care of their children. The difference is that there is no health care there compared to here.

The media makes it sound a lot worse than how the things are actually there.

...people in the US have that as well. Hell, you don't even have to be rich to have the first and third ones.

Zapages

Alucrid said:
...people in the US have that as well. Hell, you don't even have to be rich to have the first and third ones.

From what I have seen was that these maids and helpers came everyday to their houses. So I don't see that happening here.

Zapages

Jason's Ultimatum said:
So what about the Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal, or is he flip-flopping as usual?

Its not like Musharaf and other political parties align themselves with religious leader. Its another day in crazy Pakistani Politics... MMA is not really popular and the only reason that I can think of Imran Khan will align with them to get one of hi members in the cabinet. Regardless it is another crazy day of Pakistani Politics. :lol

Zapages said:
Its not like Musharaf and other political parties align themselves with religious leader. Its another day in crazy Pakistani Politics... MMA is not really popular and the only reason that I can think of Imran Khan will align with them to get one of hi members in the cabinet. Regardless it is another crazy day of Pakistani Politics. :lol

Musharaf seems like he did the right thing when it came to Pakistan's economy. Implementing policy reforms that allowed foreign investment and access to the global market alongside domestic spending created economic growth. As I've said, it's a bit sad that the political/religious turmoil going on in Pakistan as the country has the potential to be an economic power.

Zapages

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Musharaf seems like he did the right thing when it came to Pakistan's economy. Implementing policy reforms that allowed foreign investment and access to the global market alongside domestic spending created economic growth.

Musharaf's economy boost was all fake - he sold the Pakistan's steal mill and bit other things. But let's not get into Musharraf's faults in this thread. : )

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Like Imran Khan is any better. The guy aligns himself with pro-Taliban leaders who wants to wage a holy war against the United States. The guy is nuts, and I hate to be pessimistic, but I don't ever see Pakistan being stable until something is done with the Taliban and AQ.
Imran Khan voted for Fazlur Rehman (MMA's pro Taliban leader) over Musharraf in 2002. This left many people shocked especially the students and women who supported him. But I think he clarified his vote as a protest vote against Musharraf cooperating with USA in ousting Afghanistan's regime change. This quote is from 2008

WASHINGTON: No educated Muslim can possibly support the Taliban or their narrow interpretation of Islam, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan told Pakistani journalists at a news conference on Saturday.

Imran, who is visiting to raise funds for his charitable causes, said in 1,400 years of Islamic history, no Islamic state had been run on the basis of theocracy. He denied that there was any reactionary movement in Pakistan as represented by the Taliban and called the recent reports of Peshawar under threat of being taken over by religious radical groups as absurd. He said what was called radicalisation was actually political extremism, adding that the more the Tribal Areas were bombed, the larger the number of those fighting back became. Imran said the answer lay in dialogue and not in “blind bombing” of mostly civilian populations living in the area.

Here's his latest interview:
What's your solution to the war in Afghanistan?
There has to be an exit strategy; Nato has to leave Afghanistan. Otherwise more and more people will be dying, most of them innocent.

Are they not dying at the hands of the Taliban?
Whether they're dying at the hands of the Taliban or the government does not matter, as the war is not being won. All the Taliban have to do to win is not lose - and they're not losing, because more and more areas are coming under Taliban control.

Has Barack Obama had a positive impact?

President Obama had a golden opportunity. I wrote an open letter to him when he became president, saying that he should not own George Bush's war in Afghanistan, that it was a tried and failed strategy. He has done exactly what he should not have done. David Cameron should not have owned Tony Blair's war and Obama should not have owned Bush's war.

He's flip-flopped on many other issues.

Musharaf's economy boost was all fake - he sold the Pakistan's steal mill and bit other things

Didn't the supreme court overrule the decision to privatize the steel mills? How is the steel mills doing anyway? FDI plays a pretty big role in the country and I don't see why privatizing the steel mills would've been a bad idea considering how liable it was.

[Nintex]

I wonder if they would've made a facebook page if they saw that Social Network movie. Like what goes on in the minds of these people...
A Facebook fan page for the accused was constructed within hours of the news of the assassination.
Blasphemy! Evil Christian western empire people defending womens rights!

Let's make a fan page on a site that was created by students to hit on girls to express our anger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom