• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pakistani governor who opposed anti-blasphemy laws killed by own bodyguard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binabik15

speculawyer said:
Yeah, I was very saddened by this story.

People take religion way too seriously. Look, I'm happy for you if you have faith. But nothing other people is really going to fuck-up your god now, is it? I mean really . . . isn't your god all-powerful? Are a few little names called going to hurt her? No. This is about you being a brain-washed zombie.

tvtuf.jpg

Mario said:
I had no idea blasphemy carried the death penalty in Pakistan. Wow.

Full disclosure: I personally support the death penalities for serious crimes like murder, rape, treason here.

But I do think anti-blasphemy laws (as well as the terrible "hudood ordinance") should be repealed.

Unfortunately whenever religion is involved in the equation, its extremely devisive.

Everybody always splits up into two camps about everything.

No majority = no dice

Plus, like the republicans in the US, politicians (who may even themselves be secular) use the fundamentalists to catch an easy ticket to election. All you have to do is spout religious rheoric, boom, built-in fanbase.

Witchfinder General said:
From my limited understanding of the country's history I believe a lot of the radicalism stems from a history of weak, corrupt governments further undermined by the military and intelligence department leading to a vacuum of moral order. Add paranoia about India which includes state-funded terrorist organisations including the harboring and training of Al-Queda and it's not a surprise that radicalism flourishes.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Pakistan became like this because of pandering to radicals for their proxy games for years, people lose confidence in corrupt politician after corrupt politician, and general economic neglect.

This. I don't even vote.

The people in power never belive their own shit. They too rich and well-educated for that.

Its just a tool to sway public opinion.

In before: Americans blaming this on Pakistani's hating their "freedom".

Sad to see the guy die, seemed a bit better then our governors in the past.

Punjab is the most thriving province.

Zapages said:
PML - N means nothing dude. Pakistan Muslim League - Nawaz Shareef.

There is PML - Q - which was started by Musharaf.

In end of the of day, I rather support Imran Khan then any stupid corrupt politician in Pakistan who is wishing for a change.

Imran Khan is too much of a schoolboy to win in Pakistani politics.

I appreciate his efforts, but there's no way he can survive in that pool of sharks.

Zapages said:
High class probably makes less than 5% of nation.

PS: They live a lot more lavish lives then anyone of us here do. They have maids, that come and clean their place, sometimes cook food, and sometimes even to take care of their children. The difference is that there is no health care there compared to here.

They may make up 5% but they have most of the wealth. The wealth gap is atrocious.

Par for the course for any under developed (and even well-developed?) nation.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Didn't the supreme court overrule the decision to privatize the steel mills? How is the steel mills doing anyway? FDI plays a pretty big role in the country and I don't see why privatizing the steel mills would've been a bad idea considering how liable it was.

Yeah, wasn't the steel mill under crushing debt anyway? I also don't see the point in being against its privatisation.

Now if only the bloated, zombiefied corpse of PIA could be turned aroud...

Sad to know we have one of the worst national airlines in the world.

:(

Instigator said:
I'm sure India and/or Israel has something to do with it.

Dude, not everything in Pakistan revolves around India, Israel or the US you know.

:/

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Kad5 said:
How did Pakistan become like this exactly in regards to radical Islam?

I can't even comprehend this.

This is coming from a very liberal shi'ite muslim.
Side effect of cold war and much of this and what is going in Afganistan is the result of self inflicted US policies in 60s and 70s.

In Middle East, Nothing was as effective as religion in combating communism.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Follow up story:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/05/3107181.htm

Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, the guard accused of the killing, has appeared in court in Islamabad, where he was hugged and showered with rose petals by his supporters.

Mr Taseer's killing horrified Pakistan's moderate elite and supporters of the ruling Pakistan People's Party (PPP), but was welcomed by members of the powerful religious right, sending shock waves through an already fragile government.

Thanks for your insights, Darth Kupi.

Being a resident of Pakistan, what do you think needs to be done to bring stability to the country?

I can't tell if thats sincere or dripping with sarcasm.... :lol

I'll assume sincerity.

Well I think grassroots education. Its difficult since the poorest rely of their children working to support the family, child labour laws be damned.

Its a hard sell, to convince someone to send their child to school when the (literal) dollar each brings in a day is used to feed the family, so they they might possibly get a better, higher paying job.

And even if you send people to school, govt. schools are a joke.

There are basically 2 parallel education systems in place, private (i.e. one that you pay for and actually tries teaching you things) or public, where incompetent teachers pocket a govt. paycheck to procrastinate all day.

The reason I say this, is that in my experience NOTHING changes a person's worldview more than education.

The illiterate here might not believe that jews have horns and lay eggs (the borat jokes may have seemed ridiculous, but they prove a point), but will have no problem in rationalizing his poor fortune as the work of "teh j000z".

Whereas reading a history book does give you context, and you can trace the path of your society's prejudices aginst jews/indians/america whatever.

I think if a person has an eduaction, he will automatically be dissatisfied with working menial job, and will try to seek better pastures. Whether that be through entrepreneurship, or technical training.

Once that level of maturity is reached by the common man, I think he'll insist on a removal of corruption, insist on qualified candidates being elected, insist on social welfare etc.

TL;DR = You don't give a shit about politics/society/injustice/progressiveness when your biggest concern is finding the next meal.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Darth Kupi said:

I'll assume sincerity.

Well I think grassroots education. Its difficult since the poorest rely of their children working to support the family, child labour laws be damned.

Its a hard sell, to convince someone to send their child to school when the (literal) dollar each brings in a day is used to feed the family, so they they might possibly get a better, higher paying job.

There are basically 2 parallel education systems in place, private (i.e. one that you pay for and actually tries teaching you things) or public, where incompetent teachers pocket a govt. paycheck to procrastinate all day.

The reason I say this, is that in my experience NOTHING changes a person's worldview more than education.

The illiterate here might not believe that jews have horns and lay eggs (the borat jokes may have seemed ridiculous, but they prove a point), but will have no problem in rationalizing his poor fortune as the work of "teh j000z".

Whereas reading a history book does give you context, and you can trace the path of your society's prejudices aginst jews/indians/america whatever.

I think if a person has an eduaction, he will automatically be dissatisfied with working menial job, and will try to seek better pastures. Whether that be through entrepreneurship, or technical training.

Once that level of maturity is reached by the common man, I think he'll insist on a removal of corruption, insist on qualified candidates being elected, insist on social welfare etc.

TL;DR = You don't give a shit about politics/society/injustice/progressiveness when your biggest concern is finding the next meal.

Interesting, and yes I was being sincere.

Education is always a priority but I imagine implementing a stable education system with an effective national curriculum exceedingly difficult, no doubt that the extreme religious right would oppose (violently in some instances) any form of rationalism that even faintly resembles a western education.

xbhaskarx said:
I read that this guy was shot 27 TIMES.... they pulled 22 bullets out of his body.

Yep. Last I heard on the news, it was 26 shots.

I not certain of the details but I heard that the assassin was manning the mounted machine gun of one of the security convoy vehicles, and just held down the trigger and hosed 'em.

That would be one of these.

BundeswehrMG3.jpg

It certainly has the rate of fire for pumping 26 bullets into someone in one go, but I doubt it was the thing.

This thing would just pulverize someone from close range.

Was probably one of the submachineguns the elite squads love carrying around.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Darth Kupi said:

I'll assume sincerity.

I agree entirely, but it seems entirely impossible to have a genuine attempt at education in a place like Pakistan - government funded will be dripping with propaganda and indoctrination, private seems like a good option - but apparently most private teachers wont give a fuck, and combining that with the poor needing the dollars children make to pay for their livelihoods... well it doesn't seem like anything will change until the people in power are genuinely unhappy with the status quo and are willing to change. But when those who aren't satisfied with the status quo are killed...

What makes it harder is intertwining it with Islam. People hear something is un-islamic, and more often than not...

Kinitari said:
I agree entirely, but it seems entirely impossible to have a genuine attempt at education in a place like Pakistan - government funded will be dripping with propaganda and indoctrination, private seems like a good option - but apparently most private teachers wont give a fuck, and combining that with the poor needing the dollars children make to pay for their livelihoods... well it doesn't seem like anything will change until the people in power are genuinely unhappy with the status quo and are willing to change. But when those who aren't satisfied with the status quo are killed...

What makes it harder is intertwining it with Islam. People hear something is un-islamic, and more often than not...

Interesting, and yes I was being sincere.

Education is always a priority but I imagine implementing a stable education system with an effective national curriculum exceedingly difficult, no doubt that the extreme religious right would oppose (violently in some instances) any form of rationalism that even faintly resembles a western education.

The reason I emphasise education, is becasue I went to an "elite" college, one of the most prestigious in Pakistan, and among the most educated people I found very little bigotry.

Non-muslims were also enrolled as both students and teachers.

A sizeable minority of students were openly atheist. Even public displays of affection between students were ignored. :lol

Religous propoganda was not tolerated by the administration. (a big problem in a lotof colleges is right-wing/super religous student parties being formed, which bully the school into capitulating to their demands, through disruption/strikes/violence.)

But this type of secular college is the exception, not the norm here.

Zapages

Darth Kupi said:
The reason I emphasise education, is becasue I went to an "elite" college, one of the most prestigious in Pakistan, and among the most educated people I found very little bigotry.

Non-muslims were also enrolled as both students and teachers.

A sizeable minority of students were openly atheist. Even public displays of affection between students were ignored. :lol

Religous propoganda was not tolerated by the administration. (a big problem in a lotof colleges is right-wing/super religous student parties being formed, which bully the school into capitulating to their demands, through disruption/strikes/violence.)

But this type of secular college is the exception, not the norm here.

what private university did you go to? My cousin, she graduated from King Edwards Medical School in Lahore?

My cousins tell that girls from Islamabad are really crazy and they are afraid of them and they are from Lahore.

So it all depends which region that you are from.

In terms of "Liberalness" goes Karachi, Islamabad *I know because cousins there are really crazy*, and then Lahore.

Zapages said:
what private university did you go to? My cousin, she graduated from King Edwards Medical School in Lahore?

My cousins tell that girls from Islamabad are really crazy and they are afraid of them and they are from Lahore.

So it all depends which region that you are from.

In terms of "Liberalness" goes Karachi, Islamabad *I know because cousins there are really crazy*, and then Lahore.

I'd rather not divulge any identifying info.

But you are absolutely right.

Karachi>Islamabad>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lahore in terms of westernization.

Also 3 X LOL @ your cousins being "afraid". :lol :lol :lol

They must be really shareef. :p

I'm from Lahore myself, and me and my Lahori college buddies went WTF! when we saw the way people were in our collge.

We never expected such an amosphere anywhere in Pakistan. It was kind of a like a slice of the west.

Also listening to the radio news right now while browsing.

They went and looked at the file of the assassin policeman.

His SSP (Superintendent of Police) had written a note on his file "Not suitable for VIP security".

Also he had been reprimanded and even suspended for fighting with his colleagues.

And he had asked to be assigned to the governor's security.

Hmmmm....seems like someone intentionally looked the other way and let a known nut get close to him.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Darth Kupi said:
Also listening to the radio news right now while browsing.

They went and looked at the file of the assassin policeman.

His SSP (Superintendent of Police) had written a note on his file "Not suitable for VIP security".

Also he had been reprimanded and even suspended for fighting with his colleagues.

And he had asked to be assigned to the governor's security.

Hmmmm....seems like someone intentionally looked the other way and let a known nut get close to him.

Fascinating. An interesting way to fire a bullet without having to pull the trigger.

Lamel

Banned
Darth Kupi said:

I'm from Lahore myself, and me and my Lahori college buddies went WTF! when we saw the way people were in our collge.

We never expected such an amosphere anywhere in Pakistan. It was kind of a like a slice of the west.

Lahore represent!

I live in NJ now though >_>

This is sad news, I don't know enough about politics in the region but he seemed different from the regular corrupt politician in the country.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I don't get how these nut jobs rationalize things like this. Murder is one of the worst offences in Islam, so how do they go about murdering people in the name of Islam? Some guy in Toronto killed his daughter a few years back for not wearing the hijab. WTF?!!

Heshinsi said:
I don't get how these nut jobs rationalize things like this. Murder is one of the worst offences in Islam, so how do they go about murdering people in the name of Islam? Some guy in Toronto killed his daughter a few years back for not wearing the hijab. WTF?!!
Its easy to dupe uneducated, religious people into believing that they're doing God's work. Its simple. The 'other' guy is an enemy of Islam. Even worse, he's disguised as one of 'us'. Kill him.

adamYUKI

Crazy shit.

I just flew back from Lahore.

My brother is good friends with the late governor's daughter Sherbano Taseer. They were hanging out together in Lahore minutes before news got out that her father was shot and killed in Islamabad. My brother enters the house, only to find news of the assassination all over TV! He had to pick his jaw up off the floor. She had arranged a tour of the governor's house with her dad for my family. It was supposed to happen today :(

From what my brother tells me, the family is very progressive, liberal, and overall very good-natured. Too bad the majority of Pakistan doesn't seem ready for such leaders.

Oh well, the people deserve the leaders and government that they eventually put in place.

Zapages

Darth Kupi said:

I am from Lahore as well... But I live in NJ as well. This like mini Lahori group of Neogaf. :lol

Yeah my cousins are shareef and good folks all together. :) My Father and Mother tell me crazy stories of when they were young in Pakistan. Its always been like this, but now its a bit more in the public then before.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
And it goes from bad to worse:

50,000 rally over Pakistan blasphemy law, shooter hailed as hero by many

More than 50,000 people have rallied in Pakistan's southern city of Karachi against the controversial reform of a blasphemy law that was behind the killing of a senior politician.

Religious groups blocked a main thoroughfare in Karachi's teeming metropolis holding banners in support of the police commando who shot dead Punjab governor Salman Taseer on Tuesday over his views favouring an amendment of the law

The full story here:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1462737/50,000-rally-over-Pakistan-blasphemy-law

Horrible, but that's what happens when you have such a corrupt, ineffectual government; the crazies control the zeitgeist.

SmokyDave

Messy as fuck. I doubt their chosen deity figure will be impressed at them celebrating the death of a man they didn't agree with.

Zapages said:
I am from Lahore as well...
For some reason I was convinced you were born in Scotland and raised in the US.

Prine

Banned
And it goes from bad to worse:

The full story here:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1462737/50,000-rally-over-Pakistan-blasphemy-law

Horrible, but that's what happens when you have such a corrupt, ineffectual government; the crazies control the zeitgeist.

And those kids that were beaten because of a mixup. Such a screwed up society - education, education, education.

Anyone passionate about Pakistan will bring India into most arguments, its infuriating that a problem always in some way involves India. Either spies or paid agents. I turn it back saying India has more to gain from a prosperous Pakistan than an unstable one then they throw all sorts of ad hominems at me. "You're too western".

Then they abruptly leave.

xbhaskarx

And that was in Karachi...

Darth Kupi said:

It's interesting to compare the public reaction to the assassinations in Pakistan and the US.
I don't think the dude in Arizona will have massive rallies in his honor and be declared a hero...

It's a no-win situation. You either continue to have corrupt government officials or the religious hardliners.

Azih

The main roadblock to a good public education system doesn't come from the extreme religious right is the saddest part of the whole thing. The main opposition comes from the elites of Pakistan. Pakistan is a ridiculously feudal place and it's *not in the interests* of landlords to have their serf like labour force getting educated. That's what has let the religious extremists get a foothold. They're the only ones who give a shit about the poor labouring classes.

private seems like a good option
Private is pointless. People who can afford to pay isn't where the problem is coming from. The problem is coming from the overwhelming majority that is desperately poor and have a barely better than subsistence level income. The only hope is for a huge revamp and a whole lot of money pumped into the public school system. Which is a problem as that's not in the interests of the feudal landlords who have a huge influence on Pakistani politics.

Azih makes a great point. The Fuedal system is the problem in pakistan!

Pakistan's democracy from day 1 has created and kept this crazy system that has kept the riches in the hands of the elite view. You may not want to hear it but Islam is one thing that would ditch this.

Also the PPP is a secular organisation that is very far from Islam!

As for the killing of Salman Taseer. Of course this was wrong as islam does encourage people to take the law into their own hands. What some people are failing to accept is that the muslims in pakistan just like around the world love the prophet (saw) and are not ready for insults to be allowed against him. It is the Secular government with the die hard supporters in pakistan who wants to allow this. Now of course if anyone is accused of blasphemy they should be given a fair trial and not the kangeroo courts that we see.

One thing people in the west should realise is that the love for the Prophet (saw) is non-negotiable for any Muslim. We are not gonna accept insults against him ever!

Atrus

Gold Member
kobashi100 said:

Pakistan's democracy from day 1 has created and kept this crazy system that has kept the riches in the hands of the elite view. You may not want to hear it but Islam is one thing that would ditch this.

As for the killing of Salman Taseer. Of course this was wrong as islam does encourage people to take the law into their own hands. What some people are failing to accept is that the muslims in pakistan just like around the world love the prophet (saw) and are not ready for insults to be allowed against him. It is the Secular government with the die hard supporters in pakistan who wants to allow this. Now of course if anyone is accused of blasphemy they should be given a fair trial and not the kangeroo courts that we see.

One thing people in the west should realise is that the love for the Prophet (saw) is non-negotiable for any Muslim. We are not gonna accept insults against him ever!

Only the shit for brained Muslims. I've yet to see a single one of my family members who are Muslim do anything in the face of insults to their religious figure.

If you don't have the wherewithal to accept what someone says without drawing yourselves up to some sort of violence, you should shoot yourself (and only yourself) in the face and save the world another second of your miserable existence.

Alucrid

Banned
kobashi100 said:

Stop yelling at me!

Zenith said:
Does Pakistan still have a caste system?
I doubt. Their rural areas have strong tribal identities though. Caste-ism is a Hinduism thing. Indian rural areas are plagued with caste violence.

Dresden

kobashi100 said:

I'm more inclined to trust journalists like Ahmed Rashid than some shit-for-brains fanatic. Pakistan was and should have been a secular state, but was suborned by a military regime that exploited religious fanaticism for their own gain (and which has now backfired, terribly so).

Dresden said:
I'm more inclined to trust journalists like Ahmed Rashid than some shit-for-brains fanatic. Pakistan was and should have been a secular state, but was suborned by a military regime that exploited religious fanaticism for their own gain (and which has now backfired, terribly so).
Which is tragic, by the way. Pakistan's founder Mohammed Ali Jinnah envisioned a fully secular state, much like Turkey's Ataturk. Look at how far Turkey has come and how Pakistan has been struggling behind.

Dresden said:

Yup. Blame General Zia ul-Haq. Zia for infusing Islam into everyday life. Hell, some of the more conservative regions in the NW of Pakistan had more freedom than what they have now.

Azih

kobashi100 said:
Yeah that's stupid, sorry.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
kobashi100 said:

Stuff like this is sad. Only until you CAN accept it will things get better. Believe what you want but don't force it upon others...

Dyno

Kad5 said:
How did Pakistan become like this exactly in regards to radical Islam?

I can't even comprehend this.

This is coming from a very liberal shi'ite muslim.

The short answer is that Pakistan has not had a strong secular education system for decades, if ever. They do however have a host of madrasas that are funded by wealthy Saudis who are keen to expand and normalize their particular religious views. Parents would rather send their kids to the nice new madrasas for their education instead of the old, busted up schooling system. Let this continue for a few generations and what you end up with is a radicalized country with a very strict, Wahabbi-like social outlook.

SmokyDave

kobashi100 said:
I'm the same with bacon.

Now what?

Azih

Dyno said:
The short answer is that Pakistan has not had a strong secular education system for decades, if ever. They do however have a host of madrasas that are funded by wealthy Saudis who are keen to expand and normalize their particular religious views. Parents would rather send their kids to the nice new madrasas for their education instead of the old, busted up schooling system. Let this continue for a few generations and what you end up with is a radicalized country with a very strict, Wahabbi-like social outlook.
Agreed. Though it's not a matter of having a strong secular education system it's a matter of having a strong public school system with halfway decent teachers of any sort that is completely missing. That's been true since Pakistan's inception, but hey Pakistan isn't unique in this and even India has huge areas that have no good schools. The difference is that after the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan the West and Pakistan collaborated in turning to extremist religious sentiment imported into Afghanistan from the Middle East mostly to combat the communists which (surprise) didn't dissipate after the Soviets left. Middle Eastern oil shiek money started flowing in to set up the shit hole madrassas in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Parents and kids had no other schools to even go to in rural areas so hey here comes a new radcial generation!

YoungHav

Banned
People would rather appease some imaginary sky farts than to respect a fellow human's life. Fuck the bodyguard and those dumb ass conservative clerics.

SmokyDave

Azih said:
Would you demand Facebook be banned from your counry if you found out about an anti-bacon Facebook page?
Absolutely not, that's despicably narrow minded.

I'd have my secret police round the members of the group up and take them to a re-education camp, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom