• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 11, 2015

EGM1966

i heard game.co.uk is too big to only use amazon as an indicator.
Size doesn't really matter - it's more a question of how likely Amazon is to mirror broad demographics. If Game is seeing sales in close to same ratio as Amazon then the Amazon charts will be pretty accurate irrespective of volume of sales.

If Game and Amazon are used by widely different demographics then one may well be a poor indicator of the other (or trends in general).

I'd say the use of Amazon in US/UK has mostly worked out so long as the bundles, prices and demographics are broadly in line. However if you have say Game with a great bundle Amazon doesn't have then the similarity of their sales patterns will differ, possibly to a great extent.

Kysen

Oh please. The game wasn't that bad. And the definitive edition is pretty amazing. Turbo Mode + Hardcore Mode make it a delight to play.
It's not DMC that's my issue, should have been called something else. Anyway with only 10k~ sales as the bar to beat should be no problem.

Akiller

DmC:DE bombing wouldn't be a good thing imho ,because this Version in particular was made following DMC fan-feedbacks and good sales numbers would show Capcom that DMC fanbase still cares about the franchaise. They won't do a DmC 2 if this DE Will be successful, they Know that's not what we want, the way How they're teasing DMC4SE shows they Know what fans want indeed.

c0de

Size doesn't really matter - it's more a question of how likely Amazon is to mirror broad demographics. If Game is seeing sales in close to same ratio as Amazon then the Amazon charts will be pretty accurate irrespective of volume of sales.

If Game and Amazon are used by widely different demographics then one may well be a poor indicator of the other (or trends in general).

I'd say the use of Amazon in US/UK has mostly worked out so long as the bundles, prices and demographics are broadly in line. However if you have say Game with a great bundle Amazon doesn't have then the similarity of their sales patterns will differ, possibly to a great extent.

No doubt about US but Game is quite big and they offer a lot of bundles for Xbone and PS4 which are not available on amazon.co.uk which automatically makes only looking at amazon not sufficiently enough and that is why size matters in this context.
So in general, you are right that as long as amazon is able to reflect sales and behaviour as customers sufficiently, it is legit to use them but it doesn't, obviously.

Three

Are you always calling out people who are happy with sales of a product?

How is it even trolling? The last PAL charts had several comments with people happy about sales of a game/system.

Is it happiness that a product is selling well or happiness that a product is selling bad when you make silly comparisons with no numbers?

I'll let you decide.

Derpyduck

Banned
How is it even trolling? The last PAL charts had several comments with people happy about sales of a game/system.

What's very telling is when people only see trolling in one direction. Somehow he missed the shot taken at Sunset Overdrive.

Regardless, the true winner once again is Minecraft. MS should pay an intern to port it to Wii U and 3DS. (more) Easy money.

driver116

What's very telling is when people only see trolling in one direction. Somehow he missed the shot taken at Sunset Overdrive.

Depends who's side your on.

It boils down to calling out trolling against your side and making trolling from your side seem less bad.

Prine

Banned
12 (18) XBO FORZA HORIZON 2 (MICROSOFT)
13 (03) PS4 THE ORDER: 1886 (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

tumblr_inline_mpme5eEIHX1qz4rgp.gif

all is good
Man what a climb for FH2, so much love from UK <3. Order restored :p

EGM1966

No doubt about US but Game is quite big and they offer a lot of bundles for Xbone and PS4 which are not available on amazon.co.uk which automatically makes only looking at amazon not sufficiently enough and that is why size matters in this context.
So in general, you are right that as long as amazon is able to reflect sales and behaviour as customers sufficiently, it is legit to use them but it doesn't, obviously.
Yah agreed. I think Amazon probably gives a pointer to aspects of UK market but I suspect the broad variety of retailer specific bundles and marketing really introduces a lot of "noise" to the signal, particularly for the consoles.

It's probably more indicative of individual games relative popularity and how it may vary by platform.

Prine

Banned
Depends who's side your on.

It boils down to calling out trolling against your side and making trolling from your side seem less bad.

This is a sales thread, and what he posted isnt a troll, its part of the sales fun - its GAF culture. No need to get flustered.

Three

Exactly. But either way, this has nothing to do with the thread and what it is about. Which is also telling :)

It's about sales often without numbers but with them when we're lucky. you seemed to have a problem with a comment more so than anyone discussing it though.

GobFather

Are you always calling out people who are happy with sales of a product?

Happy would be someone quoting the game they like selling well. (which is GOOD)
But you're ignoring, the quoting of the OTHER game to prove a point. It's different, and if you can't see that... :/

T.O.P

Banned
Congratulations. This seems like a big moment for you.

Yup, Horizon 2 deserves it :D

Calling out a dumb troll, nothing wrong with that.

I'm happy seeing a game released month ago (and wich i think deserves the sales) doing better than another one (wich i think was a pretty pos)

So everyone who goes batshit crazy in this thread or the NPD one when X wins over Y is a troll?

kk

@also sucks for DMC, game was pretty damn good on PC and i heard they listened to a lot of the users opinion for this new version :(

Wiggy

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition

PS4 (56%)
XBO (44%)

06 (NE) PS4 DMC: DEFINITIVE EDITION (CAPCOM) < 4,498
18 (NE) XBO DMC: DEFINITIVE EDITION (CAPCOM) < 3,534

Ha, this just shows how stupid it is boasting about positions when most of the games have sold essentially the same. We need totals for better context.

CEX are awesome when it comes to trade in prices, I don't know, don't particularly care how they make money but the trade in prices provided by them is pretty crazy. I sold Infamous: SS when I got it with the bundle to CEX for £45, it was brand new and sealed but they ripped it out of the box in front of me so that does not seem to make a difference to them either.

Going to CEX is surreal though, seeing the weird and wonderful shit they sell. Indian music blasting for some reason, selling used DS4 and XB1 controllers for £46 because fuck knows why. :D

Yeah, I'd really love to know how CEX are able to make money. Their model seems flawed as I rarely see people buying stuff, it's always selling phones, sealed games, etc.

And my local one seems to have Eminen on a constant loop. That's all that seems to play in there...

I didn't realise there was ever an official bundle here in the UK, though I realise there was for other parts of Europe.

As Hasney mentioned, there were a number of retailer bundles.

It wasn't official, but it was in every good value Game and Argos bundle.

EDIT: just checked, it's not bundled at all now. Could explain it.

Yup, seems to be similar to DC in that as soon as it's removed from the more competitive bundles, it starts to fall in the charts.

Is it happiness that a product is selling well or happiness that a product is selling bad when you make silly comparisons with no numbers?

I'll let you decide.

Why can't it be happiness that a great game is still selling and at the same time happiness that a not so great game isn't selling much?

Or are we just ignoring the quality of said games and going only by the platform they released?

Of course, quality is subjective, but there's nothing wrong in disliking a game and wanting it to not succeeded, specially in these days were success stories can influence other games so fast

c0de

Happy would be someone quoting the game they like selling well. (which is GOOD)
But you're ignoring, the quoting of the OTHER game to prove a point. It's different, and if you can't see that... :/

I constantly see people happy about product a outselling product b. No matter if games, consoles, cpus, gpus... But it seems in this case it bothers people more than in other cases when someone says so.
I think if he is happy that horizon 2 outsells the order, there is nothing wrong with it as it is not when people are happy that ps4 is outselling xbone in every other country besides us and UK.

Percy

Banned
I'm happy seeing a game released month ago (and wich i think deserves the sales) doing better than another one (wich i think was a pretty pos)

So everyone who goes batshit crazy in this thread or the NPD one when X wins over Y is a troll?

kk

From what what I've seen on here at least, most people who are happy to see a game do well don't feel the need to make it into a pissing contest with some unconnected other title whose status would... unless you were of a particular mindset... be otherwise completely irrelevant.

I think if he is happy that horizon 2 outsells the order, there is nothing wrong with it as it is not when people are happy that ps4 is outselling xbone in every other country besides us and UK.

PS4 is outselling Xbone in those two regions also though :(

GobFather

Why can't it be happiness that a great game is still selling and at the same time happiness that a not so great game isn't selling much?

Or are we just ignoring the quality of said games and going only by the platform they released?

Of course, quality is subjective, but there's nothing wrong in disliking a game and wanting it to not succeeded, specially in these days were success stories can influence other games so fast

No one(most don't LOL) has a problem when you are happy when a game you like is doing well, REGARDLESS of the quality of the game.

But if you're comparing two games in context, and you are happy ONE is doing great and another doing BAD... it's different. REGARDLESS of "quality" (because people can dislike a game even if it's good quality right?) It would be like comparing WiiU sales and PS4 hardware sales in the NPD thread or (Wii vs PS3 or w/e) next to each other SPECIFICALLY and say "YAY". It's different. It's okay to not like something but express it in a respectable way.

I constantly see people happy about product a outselling product b. No matter if games, consoles, cpus, gpus... But it seems in this case it bothers people more than in other cases when someone says so.

Yes, two wrongs don't make it right. It's not nice, when people rub the PS4 is selling great on people that like XBOX1 or ANY other example comparisons.

But there is a difference in comparison talks, you can say TheOrder is a bad game, and Forza is better. There's no problem. Compare that to, YAY my game sold better than that game. It's not the worst thing to say lol but still, it may make some :(

T.O.P

Banned

thank you kind sir, especially in the bolded part

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition

PS4 (56%)
XBO (44%)

06 (NE) PS4 DMC: DEFINITIVE EDITION (CAPCOM) < 4,498
18 (NE) XBO DMC: DEFINITIVE EDITION (CAPCOM) < 3,534

This just shows how bad sales in general currently are.

There's really no point in getting excited or congratulating a game doing well considering how mediocre sales can be to hit and stay in the top ten.

xrnzaaas

Wow, The Order sure is dropping quickly. I'm surprised Dying Light manages to stay strong and on both platforms.

SgtCobra

there is nothing wrong with it as it is not when people are happy that ps4 is outselling xbone in every other country besides us and UK.
But the PS4 is still outselling the Xbox One in the US, probably in the UK too but we don't have any numbers so we can only speculate about that region.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Would it be possible to get all of the summaries in the OP in the future?
It's a bit cumbersome to compare different countries when you have to click all those links.

Pretty please. Thank you.

Fliesen

The order well and truly bombed, no idea why some people just cant accept it.

yeah, especially given the fact it's been pretty much the first party horse in Sony's stable besides the next Uncharted.

going back to Week 8 makes me kind of sad. People still believing in stuff like this

Thank the heavens people out these in real life cut through the shit and dont bother with online game reviews.

The game is great and will only sell more through good word of mouth.

Well deserved and get working on the sequel :)

The Order 1886 @no.1. Fully deserved.

Consumers giving the middle finger to reviewers, that's what I like to see.

Also Sony seems to be pushing out more software this week 13/10 in PS4s favour, so the "xbox sells more software" theory is kinda debunked.

Congratulations Ready at Dawn. You deserve the success. The Order is awesome.

Great news for R&D, The gaming press can try next time to destroy a new IP

Also 5/7 in the top for the PS4, None too shabby.

i would have loved it to be great. Some even consider what is there to be a great experience, but the market obviously didn't deem it a good value.

(

It's apples to oranges. Forza is probably discounted at this point, or part of a multi-game bundle for a platform that isn't exactly drowning in new releases.

Without trolling, you can point out that it's outselling Evolved, DMC: DEFINITIVE EDITION, Minecraft, HALO: THE MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION, ZOMBIE ARMY TRILOGY, CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE and DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE on its platform.

driver116

This is a sales thread, and what he posted isnt a troll, its part of the sales fun - its GAF culture. No need to get flustered.

I wasn't directly affected by the original reply, so no need for the explanation and clever remark. Obviously people got wound up by that post, and others are like "oh... why you so angry?". Hilarious.

Top Bottom