• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 14, 2008

donny2112

Kinan said:
40% drop in sales together with ELSPA 100k award for the first week make second week sales of GT5P at least 60k.

I believe the ELSPA awards include this week.

1) They were posted at the same time as this week's data.
2) From following some of Chart-Track's months, they seem to use NPD's week system, which has March ending April 5.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
So when is mario kart and why the hell can't you order it anywhere online?!! (I already pre-ordered mines weeks ago for £20 but my mate wants a copy)

Arde5643

Three cheers for PES:Wii, hopefully it will have legs to ensure the Wii version was a profitable decision for Konami.

That way the next sequels will hopefully improve on the Wii version instead of the bland and stale PS3/360 versions.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
DarkMehm said:
It's not the best. PES 2008 is shit compared to previous entries of the series, the waggle controls doesn't change that.
That may not be a universal truth. Give PES Wii weeks/months of play and see how far you can go with this gameplay. As far as i'm concerned I've only scrathed the surface, I know I can become 5 times better. And I know the passing system is better than anything ever done in a sports game. The potential is there, and I will have to see if the balance of the game keeps improving with more practice.

DarkMehm

felipeko said:
Go play the game before starting talking shit?

I played it and the controls are indeed refreshing, but it still is not as good as the previous entries. No need to get that defensive...

Tntnnbltn

UK :

Wii First Party
05 (07) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)

Wii Third Party
02 (03) [WII] Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)
03 (05) [WII] Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami)
11 (08) [WII] Carnival: Funfair Games (Take 2)
12 (26) [WII] Game Party (Midway)
14 (15) [WII] The House Of The Dead 2 & 3 Return (Sega)
15 (10) [WII] Sega Superstars Tennis (Sega)
26 (23) [WII] Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock (Activision)
28 (28) [WII] Sonic And The Secret Rings (Sega)
37 (34) [WII] Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Sega)

------

Say what you will ('Wii third party lulz'), but the UK seems to be one fine breeding ground for third party Wii sales.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
DarkMehm said:
I played it and the controls are indeed refreshing, but it still is not as good as the previous entries. No need to get that defensive...
Which therefore makes it shit. Gotcha.

Arde5643

Tntnnbltn said:
UK :

Wii First Party

Wii Third Party

------

Say what you will ('Wii third party lulz'), but the UK seems to be one fine breeding ground for third party Wii sales.
No worries, in the future I'm sure someone will say that Sega games don't count on the Wii. :lol

felipeko

Roders5 said:
So when is mario kart and why the hell can't you order it anywhere online?!! (I already pre-ordered mines weeks ago for £20 but my mate wants a copy)
Releases day 11. It will be in next week chart...
And why, is probably NoE's fault.
DarkMehm said:
I didn't play 2008 in consoles (except Wii), but in PC i really liked it (over 2007). But Wii version is completely new, not sure if i could compare to other soccer games...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Raist said:
20 (__) Soldier of Fortune: Payback (Activision)

Wat_album_cover.jpg

Kinan

donny2112 said:

2) From following some of Chart-Track's months, they seem to use NPD's week system, which has March ending April 5.

Well, they still did not updated their weekly ratings page http://www.elspa.com/?c=/charts/uk.jsp to this week, so it may be either way, imo.

Jokeropia

f@luS said:
the thing that it does well almost only in UK. Which isnt the entire EU so that doesnt mean success
I also expect it to do well in France (we haven't gotten the chart for week 13 yet) and UK + France is like 60% of the EU software market. Then there are some charts where we don't get individual SKU rankings and they just show a combined PES 2008 listing. (Such as for example the Irish.)

k79

Banned
Raist said:
The NL Charts website is updated on friday afternoon, so I really doubt friday sales are tracked. And GT5P was released on a friday.

Well, that explains it then. Wish there was an actual figure for GT5:p. Have there been any reports about it?

apotema

Arde5643 said:
No worries, in the future I'm sure someone will say that Sega games don't count on the Wii. :lol

Sega was once a first party, that's why it keeps selling on Wii

jibblypop

Banned
Roders5 said:
You're obviously ignorant of northern ireland!!

My uncle lives in Belfast and my grandparents are from there.

industrian said:
And also the Manx. :(

um......... i have a manx cat? no i don't really... but no one ever thinks of the isle of man unless the motorcycle race is going on so you can't really fault me there ;P

PistolGrip said:
sega is back!

Sega is marketing.

Seriously, at the moment, the Condemned and Viking ads show up a lot. I haven't seen the SST one as much but it's there. PES Wii is also getting a pretty big push, with the Micheal Owen and Ian Wright ad (Wright sure loves his Wii). And despite the fact that it doesn't release until Friday, Mario Kart's already been getting a big push. It's been more than a week since I saw the first ads, and they are getting more frequent. I expect a big opening week for that one. Other than that RSV2 is the only other ad that seems to be showing up.

Raist

Banned
We still have to see for Finland, Italy and France, but if GT5P tops the charts in those countries, it will have done so in all of europe (except Ireland, but we only have All Formats charts). Quite impressive. What would be the last title to have achieved this ?

Tntnnbltn said:
UK :

Wii First Party

Wii Third Party

------

The best part? There's a lot of damn fine efforts in that chart and basically all of them are perfect fits for Wii controls.That seems to be the key for success on Wii, make games that fit the console, it really shouldn't be difficult to figure out but many publishers still fail to grasp this concept.

monkeylite said:
I thought Gaffers were intelligent enough to know the difference between England and UK.

Relax, it's just a pars pro toto.

Yeah, I needed an excuse to show off my superior latin skills.

Neo C.

marc^o^ said:
That may not be a universal truth. Give PES Wii weeks/months of play and see how far you can go with this gameplay. As far as i'm concerned I've only scrathed the surface, I know I can become 5 times better. And I know the passing system is better than anything ever done in a sports game. The potential is there, and I will have to see if the balance of the game keeps improving with more practice.
I've played it every day since release, the gameplay has really a great depth. It's a game which really needs time to get in, that's for sure. Konami surely can improve several things, still it's great fun to control 4 to 5 footballer on the same time with precision. It feels like a RTS.

Luckyman

Banned
donny2112 said:

wat

GT5P was the #19 biggest first week so it was >100k anyway.

dabra

2zidg7c.png

Spain
week 13, 2008

01 (__) [PS3] Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (Sony Computer Ent.)
02 (__) [PSP] God of War: Chains of Olympus (Sony Computer Ent.)
03 (__) [WII] WII Play (Nintendo)
04 (07) [NDS] Master of Illusion (Nintendo)
05 (01) [PSP] PES 2008 (Konami)
06 (02) [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
07 (05) [PS2] FIFA 08 (Electronic Arts)
08 (__) [WII] PES 2008 (Konami)
09 (04) [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
10 (07) [NDS] More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)

Raist

Banned
Wollan said:
GT5P is topping Ireland this week Raist.
And yeah, very clean sweep across Europe.

This week yeah, but not for its debut. Once again, Ireland has an All Formats charts so maybe it was actually #1 across individual platforms.

edit : and spain, here we go.

2zidg7c.png

Spain :
Week 13, 2008

01 (__) [PS3] Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (Sony Computer Ent.)
02 (__) [PSP] God of War: Chains of Olympus (Sony Computer Ent.)
03 (__) [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
06 (02) [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
07 (05) [PS2] FIFA 08 (Electronic Arts)
09 (04) [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
10 (07) [NDS] More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)

fixed for homogeneity :p thanks dabra

justjohn said:
i actually saw the advert on tv with wright and owen, and it looked seriously fun.
Just that too, and it does look like fun. one of the "Wii would like to Play"-esque commercials that works!

Laguna

Banned
Sega is doing well lately. House of the Dead did also better than last week (I´m talking about chart position here ;)). PES didn´t bad either. I love this series and these games were the ones I played the most on my last-gen systems. I would like to play the Wii version but I think I´ll wait for PES2009wii.

PES Wii ding well and sold out at quite a few online stores. Annoying because i wanted to get one from Amazon this week but they are out of stock :-/

donny2112

Luckyman said:

"wat" don't you understand about #1?

Luckyman said:
GT5P was the #19 biggest first week so it was >100k anyway.

That doesn't negate what I was making a point about. He was saying that it sold 100K last week from the ELSPA awards and thus had to be at least 60K this week. What I'm saying is that I think the ELSPA awards follow the NPD months, so the GT5P award would include this week's total.

It'll take a game selling >100K in the last week of an NPD-defined month in the U.K. to make absolutely sure either way, though.

Raist said:
2zidg7c.png

:|

Don't get how PES PSP in its 5th week or so does better than PES Wii. It has had quite a tv push (unlike the PSP one, which I didn't see a single ad, just like God of War btw).

Also Master of Illusion (Magia en Accion) going up clearly because of the tv push it had. Its also low price, 30€, which seems to be a 'magic' price-point (wink wink).

I guess PES Wii price hurt it mode than I thought it would (60€) meanwhile Konami nailed PSP one at 30€ (finally some reasonable pricing for PSP games).

GT5P should have obliterated the rest though, just 40€, ads everytime, even a cheap bundle...

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Don't get how PES PSP in its 5th week or so does better than PES Wii. It has had quite a tv push (unlike the PSP one, which I didn't see a single ad, just like God of War btw).

Also Master of Illusion (Magia en Accion) going up clearly because of the tv push it had. Its also low price, 30€, which seems to be a 'magic' price-point (wink wink).

I guess PES Wii price hurt it mode than I thought it would (60€) meanwhile Konami nailed PSP one at 30€ (finally some reasonable pricing for PSP games).

GT5P should have obliterated the rest though, just 40€, ads everytime, even a cheap bundle...
Spain is sonyland.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

PES PSP has been a bit of an anomaly. While it's charted in a few other regions, for some reason the Spanish have really taken to it. It's nice to see GoW performing well in at least a few other Euro charts. UK really didn't come through for this game.

kurosawa

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Well, Spain and Portugal have very loyal fans to PES... and Sony. For most of them, "wii=waggle lol" / it's to play with your grandparents.
For Nintendo fans, 60€ is a bit much for a game they don't know if they will like the changes made on the gameplay.

Raist

Banned
Huh, I forgot to post this :p

Week 15 Releases for Consoles (April 7th ~ April 11th) :

WII
*Mario Kart Wii
*Puppy Love
*The Dog Island
*Victorious Boxers Challenge

*Call of Duty 4 : GOTY Edition
*History Channel : Battle for the Pacific

PS3
*Soldier of Fortune : Payback

NDS
*Assassin’s Creed
*Brain Benders
*Solitaire – Ultimate Collection

PSP
*Chessmaster

PS2
*Wild Arms 5 : 10th Anniversary Edition
*The Dog Island

marc^o^ said:
Mario & Sonic is an outstanding success in UK. How long has it been on top of the charts?

months and months and months and probably will be until after the olymics are over

noticed from the elspa awards its now sold over 600,000 in the uk alone, must surely have blown past segas 4 million expectations by now

Top Bottom