• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 17, 2008

nli10

starship said:
This chart:

28.jpg

Shows more than 2.5m. By now there are probably more than 2.7m Wii owners.

Damn straight, I saw lots of people getting the WiiFit & Wii bundle deals this week.

Also the CT blurb says 'roughly one in ten' and due to the fact that round numbers sound nice this could be anywhere from 1 in 9 to 1 in 11. So from this 250,000 is a shakey figure that i'd expect it to be around.

Approximating the amount sold by the Value through tills (16.3 million) is also problematic as it assumess that the average price of the game was £70 (trust me, it'll be less than that - depends how the bundle discounts etc. are recorded - could be as low as 65) so 232,142 (the lowest that 16.3 million could by Vs a £70 cost) is also a shakey figure BUT is the minimum copies that the game could have possibly sold based on the available facts.

Combining the roughly 1 in 10 from 2.6 milion and over 232,000 does tend to leave us around the low end of the 250,000 mark. This means that also another 250,000 Wii games were sold this week, which to me is far more astounding. It. Prints. Money.

Aeris130 said:
Did people suddenly buy a slew of Wii games to celebrate Wii Fit or something?

New system owners & casuals who don't go games shopping all that often.

Arde5643

Aeris130 said:
Did people suddenly buy a slew of Wii games to celebrate Wii Fit or something?
This should be pretty obvious.

WiiFit forces people to buy Wii - bundled or unbundled. While parents buy WIi Fit for themselves, the kids want some other games, ie. Sonic/WWE/Mario.

Or, the guys buy WiiFit for the gals, and then buy PES WIi for themselves.

Should be pretty easy to see why WiiFit brings up the sales for all other games.

Should see a significant rise for Bully next week, too. Most retailers have it on offer (GAME for example have it cheaper when bought with GTA4.)

I can't find Wii Fit anywhere
I found it in Gamestation but had to go get my money, and he'd only keep it behind the counter for 10 minutes for me... which wasnt long enough :mad:

Taurus

Soccer moms don't buy games! Wii 3rd party lulz! Wii Fit too expensive to be succesful in PAL! Wii is a fad! :lol

Nice show for Wii over all, and well done Wii Fit. Glad to see SMG make a comeback. Stretch those legs PES Wii!

ziran

Another really impressive Wii title is PES8.

It's doing incredibly well considering it's been released so long after the other versions. Konami's advertising has been excellent, and the game really does change the (video)game of football for the better, so it's nice to see such great innovation being rewared with great sales.

llonesmiz

Raist said:
So GAFers can't make a simple division ? D:

£16.3m / £69.99 = 233k, rounded up.

Some of them can, some of them think it's not that simple.

nli10 said:
Damn straight, I saw lots of people getting the WiiFit & Wii bundle deals this week.

Also the CT blurb says 'roughly one in ten' and due to the fact that round numbers sound nice this could be anywhere from 1 in 9 to 1 in 11. So from this 250,000 is a shakey figure that i'd expect it to be around.

Approximating the amount sold by the Value through tills (16.3 million) is also problematic as it assumess that the average price of the game was £70 (trust me, it'll be less than that - depends how the bundle discounts etc. are recorded - could be as low as 65) so 232,142 (the lowest that 16.3 million could by Vs a £70 cost) is also a shakey figure BUT is the minimum copies that the game could have possibly sold based on the available facts.

Combining the roughly 1 in 10 from 2.6 milion and over 232,000 does tend to leave us around the low end of the 250,000 mark. This means that also another 250,000 Wii games were sold this week, which to me is far more astounding. It. Prints. Money.

New system owners & casuals who don't go games shopping all that often.

Raist

Banned
^ yeah but it's not gonna be 100k or 300k. Should be a pretty accurate number.

Anyway, I've added the charts from NL and France (early top 5) as well as this week's releases.

Oh, and

2uoko7n.png

Raist said:
^ yeah but it's not gonna be 100k or 300k. Should be a pretty accurate number.

Anyway, I've added the charts from NL and France (early top 5) as well as this week's releases.
You messed up the NL charts. :p

Netherlands :
Week 17, 2008

01 (01) [WII] Mario Kart (Nintendo)
02 (04) [NDS] Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)
03 (05) [WII] Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games (Sega)
04 (__) [NDS] UEFA Euro 2008 (Electronic Arts)
05 (09) [NDS] My Word Coach (Ubisoft)
06 (06) [PC] Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training (Nintendo)
07 (02) [PS3] Assasin's Creed (Ubisoft)
08 (__) [PS3] UEFA Euro 2008 (Electronic Arts)
09 (03) [NDS] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Sony)
10 (07) [360] More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (Nintendo)

wat

Sadist

Why in the blazes is UEFA 2008 selling in Holland? The Dutch national squad is not even included in the damn game!

And I'm glad Pro Evo Wii is selling. Hopefully this will mean the Wii will get the '09 edition.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sadist said:
And I'm glad Pro Evo Wii is selling. Hopefully this will mean the Wii will get the '09 edition.

u really think konami can ignore tha big wii userbase ? for sure wii is gettin pes 09 ....

Sadist said:
Why in the blazes is UEFA 2008 selling in Holland? The Dutch national squad is not even included in the damn game!

It'll have to now. It's been in the top 10 (usually top 5) for a month now and doesn't look like it'll be stopping any time soon. Konami would have to be really happy with it.

SEGA on Wii. Holy shit. Just look at Mario and Sonic, SATSR and Superstars Tennis. :lol

Arde5643

Sadist said:
Most people are dumbasses.

You just have to get used to that notion. :/

Sadist

Well, third parties always have excuses of course. If Konami gives me Pro Evo Wii every year and a goddamn Castlevania on the Wii (Come on EGM rumour) they have redeemed themselves for me.

later

_Alkaline_ said:
It'll have to now. It's been in the top 10 (usually top 5) for a month now and doesn't look like it'll be stopping any time soon. Konami would have to be really happy with it.

SEGA on Wii. Holy shit. Just look at Mario and Sonic, SATSR and Superstars Tennis. :lol

Yet they didn't bother to add online to SST in the wii sku.. Wii should be the lead for now on for all sega multiplats.

later said:
Yet they didn't bother to add online to SST in the wii sku.. Wii should be the lead for now on for all sega multiplats.

Agreed. SEGA is just doing ridiculously well on Wii. Mario and Sonic has sold about 3 or 4million already. Secret Rings has sold over a million and is still, over a year later, consistently charting in the UK. Monkey Ball has nearly sold a million (it may have even passed it). House of the Dead and Ghost Squad have performed well for very low-budget affairs. Superstars Tennis is selling by far and way best on Wii.

SEGA should be seeing this and, for their sake, have hopefully already realised that their most profit is going to come from Wii. Pure and simple.

Bundling and retailer promotions mean rises for ‘Sonic and the Secret Rings’ up from No25 to No17, ‘Rayman Raving Rabbids 2’ up from No22 to No19, ‘WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008’ up from No34 to No21 and ‘Halo 3’ a re-entry at No31.
This actually means forced bundles and bargain bin promoted titles right?

Sandman7

Now I know there are a lot of drugs in the Netherlands 'n all but surely even they can't mistake GT5:p for a DS title?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Oh fuck, I know people have already calculated it, but going by value, Wii Fit sold 232k in the first week alone? and thats with MASSIVE stock shortages, nobody has them any more. I'm guessing that the initial shipment was 250k, and now its gone, more please.

Anyway, Wii software is on fire, 14 out of 40? We're making Japan look bad over here, nice to see GT5:p still doing well, most retailers have realised the £20 price point is about right now, and its still very popular.

Nintendo really haven't put a foot wrong in the UK since the launch of the Wii, at this rate it really will end up outdoing the PS2, something unthinkable just 2 years ago, scary.

Arde5643

_Alkaline_ said:
Agreed. SEGA is just doing ridiculously well on Wii. Mario and Sonic has sold about 3 or 4million already. Secret Rings has sold over a million and is still, over a year later, consistently charting in the UK. Monkey Ball has nearly sold a million (it may have even passed it). House of the Dead and Ghost Squad have performed well for very low-budget affairs. Superstars Tennis is selling by far and way best on Wii.

SEGA should be seeing this and, for their sake, have hopefully already realised that their most profit is going to come from Wii. Pure and simple.
I predict Sonic Unleashed won't do that well in Wii - or at the very most, underperformed to what they expected.

If you notice the trend, games that sell well on the Wii are usually exclusive games.

Multiplatform releases are usually pretty bad for the Wii since multiplatform releases usually get rid/make useless of the most interesting thing about the Wii : IR input and motion controls.

If PES:Wii had taken the EA route of up-porting or down-porting the game from PS2 or 360/PS3, and replaced button presses with waggle, then it wouldn't have sold as well as it did.

Look at how well Mario & Sonic did compared to Superstars Sega Tennis. Whereas Mario & Sonic uses IR and motion controls for control, Superstar Sega Tennis merely replaced button presses with waggle.

Damn, it's going to be really tough for 3rd party - make high budget games with pretty big marketing and hope that releasing it multi-platform will break even or make profit;

or, release a pretty good budgeted Wii game with good marketing, where the gameplay can only be done with the Wii - exclusive or multiplatform (a la RE4:Wii).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Arde5643 said:
I predict Sonic Unleashed won't do that well in Wii - or at the very most, underperformed to what they expected.

If you notice the trend, games that sell well on the Wii are usually exclusive games.

Superstars Sega Tennis..........

Jammy

Banned
Arde5643 said:

Multiplatform releases are usually pretty bad for the Wii since multiplatform releases usually get rid/make useless of the most interesting thing about the Wii : IR input and motion controls.

If PES:Wii had taken the EA route of up-porting or down-porting the game from PS2 or 360/PS3, and replaced button presses with waggle, then it wouldn't have sold as well as it did.

Look at how well Mario & Sonic did compared to Superstars Sega Tennis. Whereas Mario & Sonic uses IR and motion controls for control, Superstar Sega Tennis merely replaced button presses with waggle.

Damn, it's going to be really tough for 3rd party - make high budget games with pretty big marketing and hope that releasing it multi-platform will break even or make profit;

or, release a pretty good budgeted Wii game with good marketing, where the gameplay can only be done with the Wii - exclusive or multiplatform (a la RE4:Wii).

:lol :lol :lol I can't tell if you're serious or not...

Arde5643 said:

I think Unleashed on Wii will be bought mostly by casual fans, whereas most hardcore Sonic fans will opt for the 360/PS3 version due to its visuals.

I've consistently said that SEGA made a mistake in putting Unleashed on Wii. Will it do well? Most likely yes. Secret Rings, Mario and Sonic, Superstars Tennis, etc all show that SEGA, and Sonic especially, have a very comfortable home on Wii.

But an exclusive Sonic game for Wii would have, without a doubt, done much better than Unleashed can hope to do on Wii.

Parl

Jokeropia said:
DS actually managed to increase this week despite the huge Wii spike. Other systems weren't so lucky.
On the weighted charts, PS2 had the biggest percentage increase by far.

Sadist

Sandman7 said:
Now I know there are a lot of drugs in the Netherlands 'n all but surely even they can't mistake GT5:p for a DS title?
Sometimes I hate it because our country is only known for our drugs policy :(

And why should Sonic Unleashed not sell on the Wii? Almost every Sonic game sells on Wii...

Arde5643

Sadist said:
Sometimes I hate it because our country is only known for our drugs policy :(

And why should Sonic Unleashed not sell on the Wii? Almost every Sonic game sells on Wii...
Notice how the Sonic game has always been exclusive.
Sega Superstar Tennis wasn't exactly well-received in the Wii.

Multiplatform games are hard to sell on the Wii due to:
1) PS2 games are cheaper than Wii games, where casuals will opt to buy the cheaper games instead
2) HD games well, just look much better than Wii games - so anyone who has 360/PS3 will obviously buy the HD version instead
3) The hardcore Wii only owners usually don't buy them, because the controls are usually poorly implemented (ie. waggle replaces button presses and so on)

If a multiplatform game does something really different on the Wii, however, you can count on a lot of Wii owners to buy it: RE4:Wii and PES:Wii are good examples of that.

Raist said:
Blame felipeko's script :p
There's a few more to blame noone noticed :lol

cilonen

Stop It said:

Nintendo really haven't put a foot wrong in the UK since the launch of the Wii, at this rate it really will end up outdoing the PS2, something unthinkable just 2 years ago, scary.

The delays, man, the delays! Paper Mario for example. NoE still have something to learn.

later

cilonen said:
The delays, man, the delays! Paper Mario for example. NoE still have something to learn.

Mario kart wii + wii fit before USA. Both without massive shortages. On the right track I think.

Raist

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
There's a few more to blame noone noticed :lol

Oh god. Fixed, thanks :lol

Raist

Banned
Just got last week's data for AUS and NZ

4rtb4p.png

Australia :
Week 16, 2008http://www.gfk.au.com

01 (04) [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
02 (__) [NDS] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (Activision)
03 (02) [PS2] Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Activision)
04 (05) [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
05 (__) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
06 (03) [NDS] The Simpsons the Game (Electronic Arts)
07 (09) [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
08 (__) [NDS] Pokemon Diamond (Nintendo)
09 (__) [NDS] Pokemon Pearl (Nintendo)
10 (__) [PC] The Sims 2: Kitchen and Bathroom (Electronic Arts)

15d9lyc.png

New Zealand :
Week 16, 2008http://www.gfk.au.com

01 (01) [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (SCE)
02 (02) [PSP] God of War: Chains of Olympus (SCE)
03 (08) [PC] World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (Vivendi Games)
04 (07) [PS2] Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Activision)
05 (03) [PC] Command and Conquer: Kane's Wrath (Electronic Arts)
06 (__) [PS2] V8 Supercars 3 PTM (Atari)
07 (05) [360] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
08 (06) [PS2] Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters (SCE)
09 (__) [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
10 (__) [PS2] Buzz Junior: Dino Den (SCE)

WTF happened to GT5P in Australia (it was #1 on week 15 o_O)

apotema

Arde5643 said:
Notice how the Sonic game has always been exclusive.
Sega Superstar Tennis wasn't exactly well-received in the Wii.

Sega Superstar Tennis is selling great on Wii, look at the chart

Top Bottom