• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 36, 2015

Steroyd

‘Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain’ lands Konami their first only No1 of the for years.

Fixed.

Also woof at last gen only making 5% combined, I thought they'd be low, but that's way lower than what I'm expecting, now I'm ever so curious to see Rise of Tomb Raider particularly with its Xbox only status.

Hasney

Fixed.

Also woof at last gen only making 5% combined, I thought they'd be low, but that's way lower than what I'm expecting, now I'm ever so curious to see Rise of Tomb Raider particularly with its Xbox only status.

PES usually sells enough to be number 1 for a week, but against Forza 6 and Destiny the same week (even with the latter being technically DLC), you may be right.

gtj1092

This split along with the rest we've been getting this year kind of makes you wonder how close X1 and Ps4 really are in the UK? I mean everyone one keeps assuming the consumers are close in sales but the gap in software sales seems to have increased this year. I us what I'm asking is are they actually close in sales or just closer in sales in the UK compared to the EU?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
And at the end, the XBO version sold x7 better than the PS3 version...
Of course that's UK, wonder how is the WW scenario.

But at this point i doubt the PS3 version can sell better than the XBO version. i also see very likely MGS XBO in the US > MGS PS3 in JP

This split along with the rest we've been getting this year kind of makes you wonder how close X1 and Ps4 really are in the UK? I mean everyone one keeps assuming the consumers are close in sales but the gap in software sales seems to have increased this year. I us what I'm asking is are they actually close in sales or just closer in sales in the UK compared to the EU?

It's relatively close in UK between consoles sales (i.e. 3.5:1?) but I suspect the PS4 is just better at driving software due to install base and exclusive marketing on some of the biggest titles released this year (barring TW3).

Did X1 version recoup its own costs? If I was a dev I will be questioning making this version all together.

It's definitely worth Konami developing an MGS V Xbox version of the game and the same is true for majority of large AAA titles.

However for the smaller studios/niche games like those coming Japan, I'd imagine some of them might consider scrapping XB1 versions as it's not worth the money sink considering ROI on that platform.

Xbox One should be good in UK, really. A few weeks ago you had more Xbox One games in the top 10 than PS4. Some games like TES Online also perform a little better on Xbox One.

In UK, Gears of War is above Until Dawn and when you look at France, the Supermassive game is number one and the Xbox One TPS is only fourth.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
And at the end, the XBO version sold x7 better than the PS3 version...
Of course that's UK, wonder how is the WW scenario.

But at this point i doubt the PS3 version can sell better than the XBO version. i also see very likely MGS XBO in the US > MGS PS3 in JP

Why on earth are you comparing PS3 sales to the XB1 sales?

It’s a new week 1 high for the series beating the opening week sales of ‘Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty’ by just under 37%. It’s enough to put it at 3rd place in terms of first week sales in 2015 (behind Batman: Arkham Knight & The Witcher III: Wild Hunt).
Beating MGS2 seems pretty good, but it's cool to see that AK & the Witcher have done really well in their individual first week too.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is why Sony shouldn't bother trying to lock up Japanese developed games. It's wasted money. Why should they pay millions of dollars for FF7remake exclusivity if it's gonna sell 85%+ of it sales on PS4 anyway? The mere excistence of these games are a win for Sony, heck if I were Sony I would even point out to Japanese developers that they can release their games on XBO and PC too if that it takes to make them.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is why Sony shouldn't bother trying to lock up Japanese developed games. It's wasted money. Why should they pay millions of dollars for FF7remake exclusivity if it's gonna sell 85%+ of it sales on PS4 anyway? The mere excistence of these games are a win for Sony, heck if I were Sony I would even point out to Japanese developers that they can release their games on XBO and PC too if that it takes to make them.

How do you know they did? Market share is a HUGE factor for deciding which console to support. Why wouldn't the company with the most money pay the most for exclusivity? Because it would cost them far too much. Why would it cost them far too much? Market share.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Because many people predicted PS3 version > XBO version

It was a bit of a random post without context, don't you think? I didn't see a single person mentioning it in this thread and one would have thought you'd have at least provided that context.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
How do you know they did? Market share is a HUGE factor for deciding which console to support.

I don't. I only used FF7remake as an example to point out how useless it is for Sony to persue these types of games for exclusivity. But I don't know if there is actually a deal in place for that game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I don't. I only used FF7remake as an example to point out how useless it is for Sony to persue these types of games for exclusivity. But I don't know if there is actually a deal in place for that game.

There may well be a deal in place, and whilst we can't discount the involvement of money, I'm sure Sony pull out the software splits before they pull out their wallets. In terms off Japanese games, I'm almost certain the market share in Japan is the main factor. That's why the 3DS gets far more support than the Vita over there, regardless of what Phil Spencer says.

Conduit

Banned

Cuz FF franchise is still big, ESPECIALLY No. 7.

It still shocks me that they didn't delay MM or move it up. I just don't get the logic of launching directly against MGSV.

Considering the movie isn't out on disc until beginning of October, they could have tied it in closer to the release which would have moved it out of the way. Hell, even this week would have been better.

bombshell

Considering the movie isn't out on disc until beginning of October, they could have tied it in closer to the release which would have moved it out of the way. Hell, even this week would have been better.

The movie released on disc in the US same day as the game, so I guess the game was aligned with that.

EGM1966

Good launch for MGSV - pretty huge split for UK though. That doesn't bode well for Xbox outside UK as that's probably the best split outside US they'll get. Not surprising given the history of the franchise but still unfortunate for MS.

Looks like Mad Max didn't bomb (I thought it might) and sold okay for the region. Word of mouth seems fairly positive despite the more average to good tone of most reviews so hopefully it'll do alright (as we need car combat games IMHO).

Until Dawn holding strong too, that's clearly going to do pretty well all told for the type of game it is. Gears holding not bad in UK although outside UK it clearly didn't generate that much interest in PAL regions. A solid remaster but unless it really delivers in US it might show less interest than I expected for a premier exclusive franchise. God of War also seemed muted and both came after weaker franchise entry titles sales wise so perhaps that accounts for it.

PAL starting to wake up with the bigger releases now thank goodness.

Go_Ly_Dow

PS4+PC seems to be a good avenue for Japanese games releasing in the West without global appeal.

I mean MGS has global appeal and buzz and may in the end justify a XB1 release in terms of break even/profit, but the same can't be said for many other titles.

Any reason for the shortage?

Also does anyone have an estimate for Until Dawn's sales?

I don't think Sony had particularly high expectations for the game, both critically and commercially. Once the reviews rolled in and it started getting a good buzz, Sony reacted accordingly. But yeah, they most probably undershipped.

eFKac

The split is a bit bigger than I expected but not very surprising.

What's surprising to me though is that MGS is smaller seller than I thought.

And I guess Sony is the biggest winner here now that MGS is multiplat, no preferential conditions on PSN etc. I'm sure so full profit margins and it still should end up being easily with 75% of all SKU's even with PC included.

Until Dawn with very good drop, game should have some legs, I wonder what NPD will show, Halloween is majorly a US thing so it should get a second wind there as well.

Xater

Mad Max seems to have sold a lot less than MGS, when the PS4 version is behind the XBO version of MGS.

In the other thread the estimate for MGS was

[PS4] 122,313
[XB1] 37,373

Would surprise me if mad Max number were actually quite low. The launch of this game was weirdly timed and the quality probably not good enough. I think it would have done great as a June/July game. The it also would have been able to ride the movie wave as well.

I don't think Sony had particularly high expectations for the game, both critically and commercially. Once the reviews rolled in and it started getting a good buzz, Sony reacted accordingly. But yeah, they most probably undershipped.

Weird here in Germany the marketing for this game is off the chain. Basically every cinema I went to had standees and trailers before the films.

Usobuko

Banned
Impressive sales considering the only marketing it received were posters at bus stops.

Ha, I was about to remark on the changing landscape of gaming where Batman and Witcher have bigger openings and that Japan should somehow find a way to synergise with Asia.

le.phat

Xbox One should be good in UK, really. A few weeks ago you had more Xbox One games in the top 10 than PS4. Some games like TES Online also perform a little better on Xbox One.

In UK, Gears of War is above Until Dawn and when you look at France, the Supermassive game is number one and the Xbox One TPS is only fourth.

Just a single week where xbox sells better then ps4 is more of an anomaly then proof that they're anyway near one another in terms of sales. TES online, again a poor example since ps4 already has the vastly more popular FF14. And Gears of war selling better then Until dawn, come on son.

Gears sold better than Until Dawn because it's an established IP, a very highly rated franchise, the second biggest exclusive franchise for a platform and contained (3?) many games in one disc for a lower than full price package.

It's hardly rocket science as to why it sold more.

bombshell

Gears sold better than Until Dawn because it's an established IP, a very highly rated franchise, the second biggest exclusive franchise for a platform and contained (3?) many games in one disc for a lower than full price package.

It's hardly rocket science as to why it sold more.

Gears Ultimate is only the first game, but the rest of what you said is true.

Hasney

Thought it came with a digital download backwards compatibility of the other titles (if you bought it within a limited time period*?)

Yeah, don't know if it was Game exclusive, but they were advertising it came with 360 versions of 2,3 and Judgement.

Top Bottom