• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 42, 2014

Steroyd

Isn't the problem with F1 teams not revealing their cars until early next year? The common time period I hear to model a car in a racing game is 6 months so I can understand on some level.

Except now they're releasing a lot earlier next year I'm not sure how they're gonna cope (probably because the regulations aren't going to dramatically change next year).

That's a fair point, but can't codemasters do what EA does and update the stats for the cars at set intervals throughout the season, or am I asking too much because of the vast difference in resources.

Not trying to say they should release before the season starts, but not at the end when everything is reaching it's climax, where the shelf life of a f1 game is 1 month before it's obsolete and we're looking towards the next season's cars.

NHale

That's a fair point, but can't codemasters do what EA does and update the stats for the cars at set intervals throughout the season, or am I asking too much because of the vast difference in resources.

Not trying to say they should release before the season starts, but not at the end when everything is reaching it's climax, where the shelf life of a f1 game is 1 month before it's obsolete and we're looking towards the next season's cars.

Updating stats of cars/players is very different than creating new models for the cars.

People complained that F1 2014 has a different Williams livery than the official Martini (because of alcohol ads restrictions in some countries), can you imagine if they release the game with car models different than the real ones?

Best case scenario is car launches in January and they get them in game for a late May release (Gold master in April). They can also release earlier and then get the correct models in game during the year (like MotoGP 13/14 did).

audeh64r8

Banned
Certainly helps Horizon 2 being on 2 formats with about a 10m combined userbase. Driveclub is doing just fine considering the so so reviews and technical issues.

You're right there. Considering the negativity around the title, it's doing fine. I don't think Sony really expects this game to sell millions?

Why did nobody tell me a top 50 3DS was a thing since last week? (makes me wonder if they forgot a 0 last month)
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index....p&ct=310019&arch=t&lyr=2014&year=2014&week=41
Nearly half Nintendo published though. That said it behaving very odd. Let's take Bravely Default (chart ending LW TW)
11 Oct 27 32
18 Oct 47 49
That makes no sense. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon does a similar thing (absent in 11 Oct, is is 18 Oct where LW was 7...i.e. the 11th it should have been 7th...this was due to Argos firesale them at £5 and hotukdeals took the lot to CeX as a honist days wurk)

The Skylanders confusion also continues (its all formats position still appears too high considering the individual formats visible)

wonder if MK8 will rise again next week with the release of Bayonetta 2.
I know it is a bit early to talk about this but I wonder how Chart-Track will be treating Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta 2 Special edition. Could they be separate products in all formats due to the latter coming with a second game? Could Bayonetta 1 get tracked on its own instead? (if at all)

TEW did good.

How big is Halloween in Europe? Never really thought of this before.

Can't speak for mainland Europe, but pretty popular in the UK, at least. No where near as common to see trick or treaters out as it apparently is in the US mind, but it's still an 'event'.

However as the long cold nights draw in there tends to be a hankering for ghost/scary stories, particularly around Christmas.

strata8

Forza Horizon 2 should have sold around 90-125k in the UK so far.

It will interesting to see how it holds. The original dropped from 10th > 23rd in its fourth week.

CozMick

Banned
Forza Horizon 2 should have sold around 90-125k in the UK so far.

It will interesting to see how it holds. The original dropped from 10th > 23rd in its fourth week.

I dont expect that big of a drop for FH2, being on 2 platforms should keep it in the top 10-15 for a while.

Ok Evil Within being first is surprising especially when there is FIFA15.

There has been a drought of good games for the next-gen systems. Fifa always does well, but it has been doing a bit better recently because the market has been shit. Come January time (until the big hitters are out again), expect the charts to revert back to their normal Fifa dominance.

Now the important thing here, for me, is how The Evil Within will compare to Resident Evil after 6 soiled the franchise.

Xando

Some new data about the German market, didn't know were to post it:

Overall gaming market growing quite a bit:

Bundesverband Interaktive Unterhaltungssoftware said:
The German market for computer and video games, including the sales of games-apps, virtual add-on content, and subscription fees, grew by 6 percent to 798 million euro in the first six months of this year. In the same period of the previous year sales stood at 752 million euro.

Hardware Sales:
The launch of the new generation of game consoles consisting of the PlayStation 4 from Sony, the Nintendo WiiU and the Xbox One from Microsoft has been very successful in Germany. Out of all devices on the German market, around 23 percent more game consoles were sold, as was the case within the same time frame for the previous models: the PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360.

On Digital sales:
In Germany, purchasing games for PCs and mobile and stationary game consoles is increasingly done by downloading. In the first six months of this year, 23 percent of sales of computer and video games were generated from downloading. By comparison: in 2010 the proportion was only 4 percent. This is an increase of 575 per cent over the past five years. But buying media remains important: 18 percent of players buy games on disks because they want to add them to their collection.

source

25% already digital in Germany...
whewobama6wsmk.png

Thanks for the info!

Well, actually it's quite low. I think I saw figures stating that almost 50% of all sales in the US are digital. Can't remember where I saw it, though.

Xando

Makes a lot of sense, especially with Germany being big on PC games. Almost surprised it wasn't higher.

To be fair PC retail is pretty big here.

At my local Media markt PC retail section is bigger than Xbox and Nintendo section combined.

maxiell

Well, actually it's quite low. I think I saw figures stating that almost 50% of all sales in the US are digital. Can't remember where I saw it, though.

One of the insiders in the NPD gave the actual figure. It wasn't close to fifty percent, but it increased a lot in the U.S.

sörine

Banned
You're right there. Considering the negativity around the title, it's doing fine. I don't think Sony really expects this game to sell millions?
Given how closure happy Sony's been in recent years I have to wonder if "fine" really bodes well for Evolution's future?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder how the DD sales are .
Is it not cheaper on DD compare to normal ?

yes - if you have PS+ you can buy the full version for less than any online retailer is selling the physical disc for. So that makes its performance in the charts even more impressive as you'd expect sales to be disproportionately digital Vs other PS4 titles.

Code:
[Week 01] 03 (NE) FORZA HORIZON 2 (MICROSOFT) - Between 51,638 and 70,530  / NEW
[Week 02] 04 (03) FORZA HORIZON 2 (MICROSOFT) - Between 23,753 and 32,444 / Between 75,391 and 102,974 (-54%)
[Week 03] 05 (04) FORZA HORIZON 2 (MICROSOFT) - Between 14,489 and 19,791 / Between 89,880 and 122.765 (-39%)

Code:
[Week 01] 02 (NE) MIDDLE EARTH: SHADOW OF MORDOR (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE) - Between 91,941 and 113,039 / NEW
[Week 02] 03 (02) MIDDLE EARTH: SHADOW OF MORDOR (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE) - Between 41,373 and 50,868 / Between 133,314 and 163.907 (-55%)
[Week 03] 04 (03) MIDDLE EARTH: SHADOW OF MORDOR (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE) - Between 20,273 and 24,925 / Between 157,587 and 188.832 (-51%)

Shin-Ra

Crazy. Even in a fairly close market like the UK Japanese games are leaning so hard on PS4. Was Final Fantasy XIII the same?
Not so much, obviously.

http://youtu.be/qUfUdMboUrc?t=2m50s

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390223
15/Mar/2010

A week on from yet another fastest selling game of the year so far and the record has yet again been smashed – Square Enix’s ‘Final Fantasy XIII’ debuts at No1 on 360/PS3, split 54% PS3 and 46% 360.

The last Final Fantasy title to reach No1 was actually ‘Final Fantasy XII’, back in week 8, 2007 although this was only released on PS2.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/uk-chart-final-fantasy-xiii-topples-battlefield/
Sales monitor Chart-Track said that the standard PS3 version claimed 45 per cent of overall sales, versus 43 per cent for the Xbox 360 one. The PS3 special edition accounted for nine per cent of total sales and the 360 one for four per cent. Strangely, those figures adds up to 101 per cent.

Xater

Looks like it was a great decision to wait on Alien: Isolation. As with basically every Sega game I expect dumping prices at the start of new year. That's when I will get it.

Kysen

Codemasters must be in pretty bad shape at the moment. Both Grid Autosport and F1 bomba. They can only blame themselves though really. Exceptionally strange time to be releasing new games on old platforms for big franchises.

I think its more a funding issue. They must be operating on a shoestring budget.

Xater

I think its more a funding issue. They must be operating on a shoestring budget.

Probably but they clearly bet on the wrong horse. People are hungry for PS4 and Xbone software. They would have done way better on there. On the other hand I would not be sad if that means they will lose the F1 license faster.

Probably but they clearly bet on the wrong horse. People are hungry for PS4 and Xbone software. They would have done way better on there. On the other hand I would not be sad if that means they will lose the F1 license faster.

As someone mentioned earlier, the F1 license apparently locks you into having to produce a new game every year. So they really had no choice but to release it only for the PS3/360/PC since the current gen versions aren't ready. The good news for them is that they said that the current gen versions will be ready for the early part of the 2015 season, which begins in March.

sörine;135139618 said:
Given how closure happy Sony's been in recent years I have to wonder if "fine" really bodes well for Evolution's future?

If they support it as they're planning I think it'll do well, should have good legs in the EU.

Top Bottom