• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 50, 2007

test_account

XP-39C²
I remember last week when people said "Uncharted was only tracked for 1-2 days" and some other responded that that goes for alot of games and that Uncharted would drop hehe :p Good for Naughty Dog and Sony that it jumped quite a bit :)

Raist

Banned
Jokeropia said:
That's the third straight week at the top for Galaxy, I believe. Very good.

Correct. Just watch for Mario & Sonic taking it out next week tho.

I have no idea actually :p

Psychotext said:
Anecdotal... went out to try and buy a copy of SMG last weekend (UK) as I wanted it for a present. Couldn't get it anywhere and many stores didn't even have a space for it. Ended up having to buy it used for pretty much the same price as new. =(

Yeah, most shops in my area don't have it in stock. In fact, my local Tesco and Woolworths have quite a number of gaps where Wii software should be so it seems that whatever stock they are receiving is going very quickly.

Well, at least Uncharted is there. Should be higher damn it, but it's there.

test_account said:
I remember last week when people said "Uncharted was only tracked for 1-2 days" and some other responded that that goes for alot of games and that Uncharted would drop hehe :p Good for Naughty Dog and Sony that it jumped quite a bit :)

Ah yes, that's right. Not an incredible success, but definitely warrants some crow serving.

ziran

Another really strong week for Nintendo! Nice to see SMG move up, and to see RE4 back.

I was surprised how many people doubted Sega's prediction of 4 million Mario and Sonic across DS and Wii. It was always a very reasonable figure for a game with two such big icons on the biggest selling hw of the year.

Naturally, retailers are reporting incredible demand for both Wii and DS:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29162/Wii-and-DS-sell-out-but-retail-is-still-raking-it-in
Wii and DS sell out, but retail is still raking it in

Neil Long Today, 11:38am

Demand reaches highest ever levels for Nintendo hardware; eBay traders making a mint
Another week, another Nintendo hardware drought – but retailers aren’t complaining, describing current demand for Wii and DS as ‘like nothing we’ve ever seen before.’

As parents continue to buy up any hardware possible ahead of Christmas, retail has seen both Wii and DS consoles sell out almost as quickly as they’ve been made available.

“If anything demand has accelerated over the last few weeks on both formats,” said HMV’s head of games Tim Ellis. “We’d have loved more stock but we knew that we’d be in this position so it’s hardly a surprise.”

Leading e-tailer Amazon has also seen unprecedented clamour for the consoles: “The demand for DS and Wii is like nothing I’ve ever seen in my time in the industry,” said video games manager Nick Arran.

“Every customer seems to want them. Stock has been a constant struggle throughout peak. A big thank you to Nintendo who have pulled out all the stops and are delivering weekly allocations. These are selling out within a few hours.”

And Comet’s assistant category buyer Jim Leighton added: “We are selling through all the stock we get almost immediately. The interest is overwhelming – 15 per cent of the searches on the Comet.co.uk website are for the Nintendo Wii.”

Kittonwy

Banned
Loudninja said:
At least Uncharted went up

Uncharted outsells Ass Creed PS3 (in UK anyway), THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.
Indifferent2.gif

Moonstone

RE4 Wii higher then RE: UC. Hopefully that will tell Capcom that we want RE4 gameplay style and no more on rails crap. I bought UC so I done my part. It does sadden me though when I think how great UC would've been had it been done RE4 style.

Well as far as I know it was pretty hard to get your hand at a copy of UC. Nintendo didn't inform the retail channels early enough. So the wholesale agents canceled their preorders as they did not get orders from retail channels in time. The first shipment was very small.
NoE is doing there an awful job, they are known for to small shipments, Mario Galaxy says hello.

It is always a problem for whole europe when a nintendo game is not published in germany since nintendo of europe is in germany and that causes problems like that.
On amazon.uk it's avaiable on 20 december and you even need express service if you want it before christmas.

So UC europe sales are pretty much fucked they could have been much better.

ziran, I think a lot of people guffaw at the SEGA prediction for M&S because they don't realize it's for the DS/Wii combined. It's not nearly the stretch people think it is, and it actually looks like at least the Wii version is going to hold up its end of things.

And lord almighty it's nice to see Uncharted selling somewhere. I really hope that game develops huge legs in NA, I hate seeing something so good being missed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Segata Sanshiro said:
ziran, I think a lot of people guffaw at the SEGA prediction for M&S because they don't realize it's for the DS/Wii combined. It's not nearly the stretch people think it is, and it actually looks like at least the Wii version is going to hold up its end of things.

And lord almighty it's nice to see Uncharted selling somewhere. I really hope that game develops huge legs in NA, I hate seeing something so good being missed.

Has the DS version even been released?

SMG finally beat out Ass Creed...

Also lol at RE4...that game just will not go down so easily

oo Kosma oo said:
Could SMG shortages have something to do with it not being number 1? I haven't seen a copy on the mainland for a long time now, maybe it's the same in the UK.
Amazon UK: Availability: In stock on December 20, 2007. Order it now.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Ah yes, that's right. Not an incredible success, but definitely warrants some crow serving.

I think I'll stick to New England Clam Chowder this week. But I've got some in the freezer for Christmas Eve.

zsidane

6 games in the top 10 are published by Nintendo. 7 are on a Nintendo hardware. Total Nintendomination!!
Oh, and the 360 is just amazing!
French Week 48
01/01. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy
02/04. [WII] Wii play
03/15. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
04/06. [PS3] Assassin’s Creed
05/07. [NDS] The legend of Zelda : Phantom Hourglass
Judging by how Wii software is doing in both th UK and France, there's definitely enough Wiis to outsell both the 360 and the PS3. The demand is just insane and never seen before for a video game console.

HK-47 said:
Has the DS version even been released?

SMG finally beat out Ass Creed...

Also lol at RE4...that game just will not go down so easily
No, the DS version is still being worked on. I think they're holding it a little to get it closer to the Olympic Games date as well.

Raist

Banned
zsidane said:
Judging by how Wii software is doing in both th UK and France, there's definitely enough Wiis to outsell both the 360 and the PS3. The demand is just insane and never seen before for a video game console.

WII's have been easily available in France for the last 6 months, so yeah

MidiSurf

Banned
Jokeropia said:
First time I've seen it in stock since release. I hope it lasts.

I'm really amazed how the SMG sells in UK and other European countries. Finland is full of unsold copies of SMG (and Wiis). What's wrong with this country :D.

Jokeropia

Raist said:
WII's have been easily available in France for the last 6 months, so yeah
Sold out on Amazon France at the moment though after having been available pretty much all year. (You can still buy them at a €130 markup.)
Visualante said:
Today is December 17th, it's not in stock for another 3 days.
Yeah but at least you can order it. Earlier it just said "currently unavailable" and you couldn't even buy it used or through a third party site.

justjohn

go go go uncharted :D
in an ideal world you should be at the top, pissing on your cometitors, but its not an ideal world is it :(

Jammy

Banned
Mario and Sonic at the Olympics is a beast worldwide. Sega was smart in releasing the Wii version right at the holidays, capitalizing on the game both now and when the Olympics are actually held.

Between the Wii and DS, I don't know why so many people scoffed at Sega's goal of 4 million worldwide. These are two of the most iconic gaming mascots/personas out there and the gameplay, being like Wii Sports, could easily catch on and spread just like the Wii Sports craze has.

Raist

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Sold out on Amazon France at the moment though after having been available pretty much all year. (You can still buy them at a €120 markup.)

Yeah, on amazon maybe. I've seen some in stores like 3 days ago tho.

IIRC, it was still impossible to get one by the end of march (at least, when I bought my PS3, there was like no Wii available anywhere) and some friends told me they could easily get on in june.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jammy said:
Mario and Sonic at the Olympics is a beast worldwide. Sega was smart in releasing the Wii version right at the holidays, capitalizing on the game both now and when the Olympics are actually held.

Between the Wii and DS, I don't know why so many people scoffed at Sega's goal of 4 million worldwide. These are two of the most iconic gaming mascots/personas out there and the gameplay, being like Wii Sports, could easily catch on and spread just like the Wii Sports craze has.

Hindsight, 20/20, etc. Plus its not at 4 million yet, dont jump the gun

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Good lord, New Super Mario Bros.

That game has not left the UK charts ever, from my understanding. It came out in June. Last year.

I'm really convinced that it will take the title of best selling Mario title of all time at this rate. It's frightening. :|

Also, I haven't noticed any Super Mario Galaxy shortages myself. From what I've seen there's been a fair few copies lying about. I'll keep an eye out for it the next time I visit the shops.

nli10

SMG comes back into stock when the Wii units do and then sells out at the same time (within 24 hours usually). I'm amazed that some of the wii games are as high as they are due to the fact that it's pretty hard to find them, but its certainly not impossible in decent sized cities.

I'd love the best selling Xmas week game to be a single format title, even M&S at the Olympics - just to ruin the annual Christmas cash in run of (s)hits that we always seem to get here.

numble

test_account said:

Indeed:

Nolan said:
It really hardly matters though because most game sales on debut are colleted after the 1st day sales. Plus a debut in the 30's doesn't exactly spell rising to heaven next week. It's possible it would rise, but I doubt it.

mr_bishiuk said:
When people say that sales only included 2 days they are wrong, it includes 2 days in the shops and months of pre orders, sales never go up in the 2nd week but yet the 2 day excuse is wheeled out everytime.

Uncharted bombed, because its not a recognised IP, it looks like a **** raider clone and because of the the crappy ads (Cynical Brits dont take very well to brash American marketing speak)

The Innocent X said:
There is no way its going to make top 20 next week, but its still a crying shame when it barely beats a sequel to an ignored game that is a mini game collection.

Frillen said:
People always comes with the "only out for a couple of days" excuse. Then when next week's numbers comes out and showing no spikes, it's always "but, but, but, but.....*cries*"

It's like people never learns.

RBH said:
What point of view, exactly? All that I'm seeing is the same excuse ("it's only been released for two days", etc.) being trotted out seemingly every week whenever certain games come out, yet some people seem to never learn.

I'll be shocked if Uncharted charts above its current position next week. It's a terrific game no doubt about it and it deserves to sell better than Heavenly Sword imo, but unfortunately, the best games don't always sell as much as they should.

909er said:
Dude, I think people need to look at reality. He's right, everyone says "wait till next week" every week, and nobody learns. The game places lower the next week (bar the very few exceptions which seem to be Soccer or Nintendo related) and that fact is ignored and replaced by a new set of people saying "well, it's only been out 2 days". Even games that have long legs like Mario Galaxy have consistently placed under Assassins Creed 360. It didn't have a resurgence to the top. It's not gonna do better next week. Just like Mass Effect isn't going up from word of mouth, etc.

Jokeropia

Raist said:
IIRC, it was still impossible to get one by the end of march (at least, when I bought my PS3, there was like no Wii available anywhere) and some friends told me they could easily get on in june.
Yeah it was probably around summer that they became available.

Raist

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
So even on an international level, PS3 owners are threats to reason and justice

And you know what, R&C didn't even make it in the top 20. Never.

I'm part of the problem tho, ordered it from VGP :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SovanJedi said:
Good lord, New Super Mario Bros.

That game has not left the UK charts ever, from my understanding. It came out in June. Last year.

I'm really convinced that it will take the title of best selling Mario title of all time at this rate. It's frightening. :|

Also, I haven't noticed any Super Mario Galaxy shortages myself. From what I've seen there's been a fair few copies lying about. I'll keep an eye out for it the next time I visit the shops.

I'm personally more impressed with the BTs...I dont even think they stayed that high over in Japan. Crazy shit

sionyboy said:
Assassin's Creed is doing really well, especially given the reviews it got. However I have a feeling after Christmas there will be plenty available in the pre-owned section of Gamestation, the same thing happened with BioShock. Not that that is a bad thing of course.

Otherwise, the charts look pretty stable at the moment, everyone copying the Jones' for their Christmas puchases it would seem.

I'm going to go for Mario & Sonic as Xmas No. 1 for the individual charts, all formats could go anywhere, but given the bundle deals I've seen The Simpsons might have a good chance of taking it.

Its between COD4 and Mario & Sonic. COD4 might just sneek it though as Gamestation are selling it for half price this week.

antiloop

Nidain said:
It seems all theses tv commercials for uncharted are finally paying off :)

They should. I like the "This is living" one on Swedish TV but were amazed seeing the one at the cinema last week. Jesus, it looked good. Indiana Jones feeling deluxe. :)

zsidane

Segata Sanshiro said:
No, the DS version is still being worked on. I think they're holding it a little to get it closer to the Olympic Games date as well.
Not that long. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, It's supposed to be out the 22nd of January.

Top Bottom