• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 50, 2007

brain_stew said:
Its between COD4 and Mario & Sonic. COD4 might just sneek it though as Gamestation are selling it for half price this week.

Is the CoD4 offer on all week at Gamestation?

I'm not sure if CoD4 has that mass-appeal that S&M, NFS or The Simpsons would have. Parent-purchae-power is going to control the charts this week, and I would have reservations over how many parents want little Timmy playing wargames, when he could be playing with Bart, Mario or Sonic. CoD4 also suffers from not being on the Wii or PS2, which still manages to dictate the charts somewhat.

It'll be interesting. I just wish that the emphasis was on the individual formats rather than all formats chart.

nli10

FabCam said:
PS3 games got a good jump. Shame SingStar isn't up there though.

Might as well release it early, but no self respecting person would buy a PS3 just for singstar when pro Karaoke machines cost less and have been around for years longer, and it seems that it hasn't appealed to the mass market PS3 owner either despite the adverts.

Next Xmas should belong to Sony, but all things been said this one was supposed to be the X360s dominant year, and it's not Halo 3 at Xmas number 1...

antiloop

FabCam said:
PS3 games got a good jump. Shame SingStar isn't up there though.

Could just find sales for Week 49 so far but Sweden likes Singstar as usual. 3 games in top 10 :lol :

01 Singstar Svenska hits Schlager (PS2)
02 Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock (PS2)
03 Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
04 High School Musical: Sing It! (PS2)
05 Singstar Svenska hits (PS2)
06 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)
07 The Sims 2 Jorden Runt (PC)
08 Singstar (PS3)
09 Need for Speed Prostreet (PS2)
10 Uncharted Drake´s Fortune (PS3)
11 Assassins Creed (360)
12 Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock (360)
13 The Sims 2 Tonårsprylar (PC)
14 World of Warcraft (PC)
15 FIFA 08 (PS2)
16 Buzz: The Hollywood Quiz (PS2)
17 Buzz: The Mega Quiz (PS2)
18 The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
19 Assassins Creed (PS3)
20 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360)

Source: http://www.dataspelsbranschen.se/

Edit: Added 16-20.

Loudninja

antiloop said:
Could just find sales for Week 49 so far but Sweden likes Singstar as usual. 3 games in top 10 :lol :

08 Singstar (PS3)
11 Assassins Creed (360)
15 FIFA 08 (PS2)

Not bad

Nidain said:
It seems all theses tv commercials for uncharted are finally paying off :)

I kinda doubt it, actually, unless the Euro ad is better than the US ad. I thought they were the same ad...am I mistaken?

If it's anything like my what has happened with my friends, Uncharted is going to sell more by word-of-mouth and seeing-is-believing experiences than the commercials.

I have 5-6 friends that all have PS3s. I know they'd all seen the ads, because we all saw the ad one night when we were all together watching a football game or something. I hyped for it a little bit, but only one of my buddies ended up getting it based on the ad and my hype. He was blown away though and showed it to the rest of the guys, now they've all bought it or are soon buying it, and the hype just grows and grows.

Strange that the TV ad wasn't nearly as effective as it should have been.

But the adverts don't do what the game does. You get a gamer in front of the game for an hour, and they want it.

ziran

SMG is a really strange situation imo. I don't understand how NoE can undership it so severely. It was clearly going to become a massive seller over XMas, and NoA has done a great job with stock, it just seems really short sighted.

Segata Sanshiro said:
ziran, I think a lot of people guffaw at the SEGA prediction for M&S because they don't realize it's for the DS/Wii combined. It's not nearly the stretch people think it is, and it actually looks like at least the Wii version is going to hold up its end of things.
Yeah, maybe. But there's this really negative feeling towards Sega for trying to sell as many games as possible, what is essentially, doing whatever they can to ensure they stay in business. For all the fan favourites the company has made it seems easy to realise a Sega in business has far more chance of pleasing its fans than a Sega that doesn't exist.

Sonic, for all its criticisms, remains a really big property, even recently with Sonic Rush, which is the biggest selling 3rd party game on DS in Europe, an impressive achievement in the face of other successes like Cooking Mama. Add Mario, and a good amount more than 4 million was likely imo.

FabCam

antiloop said:

08 Singstar (PS3)
11 Assassins Creed (360)
15 FIFA 08 (PS2)
19 Assassins Creed (PS3)

I actually count 4! :lol

wotter

Pristine_Condition said:
I kinda doubt it, actually, unless the Euro ad is better than the US ad. I thought they were the same ad...am I mistaken?

The TV ads I've seen are different from the US. It shows more gameplay and no CGI.

spwolf

nli10 said:
Might as well release it early, but no self respecting person would buy a PS3 just for singstar when pro Karaoke machines cost less and have been around for years longer, and it seems that it hasn't appealed to the mass market PS3 owner either despite the adverts.

Next Xmas should belong to Sony, but all things been said this one was supposed to be the X360s dominant year, and it's not Halo 3 at Xmas number 1...

well kind of, but Singstar is not the game thats going to sell hugely upfront... it just grows. Its has been #40 for 2 weeks now and guess what, most online stores move it on/out of stock constantly.

Like Amazon.co.uk has serious shortage of PS3 games, Singstar, Uncharted, ProEvo, AC are all out of stock right now. Even play.com is out of stock on Singstar.

felipeko

Updated Sweden, thanks.
numble said:
Not trying to make an excuse.. But i read the "only for 2 days" every week, and almost every release only have 2 days, and then start falling..
Uncharted bump is really unusual, and that probably has to do with few releases lately and a big ad push by Sony.. Still great, i really want Uncharted to succeed, one of a few games i want to play that are non-Wii..

nli10

spwolf said:
well kind of, but Singstar is not the game thats going to sell hugely upfront... it just grows. Its has been #40 for 2 weeks now and guess what, most online stores move it on/out of stock constantly.

Like Amazon.co.uk has serious shortage of PS3 games, Singstar, Uncharted, ProEvo, AC are all out of stock right now. Even play.com is out of stock on Singstar.

Damn straight it will :D

It'd be the first game i'd buy if I was getting a PS3 this Xmas/next Xmas/more likely the one after when they are around £200-£250!

oh and GAMEPLAY has it in stock - this is a gamers site though, not a mom & dad site like Amazon.

They also have Umbrella chronicles for those of you shambling around the wrong stores like the undead...

(Galaxy isn't listed so must be not only out of stock but their expected deliveries have pre-sold!)

felipeko said:
Updated Sweden, thanks.

Not trying to make an excuse.. But i read the "only for 2 days" every week, and almost every release only have 2 days, and then start falling..
Uncharted bump is really unusual, and that probably has to do with few releases lately and a big ad push by Sony.. Still great, i really want Uncharted to succeed, one of a few games i want to play that are non-Wii..

It's not THAT unusual, Last week I said it might end up around the same place as Call of Duty PS3, and it did.
But yeah the 'only two days' thing is annoying.

nli10

felipeko said:

The handheld bump or Nintendo charge of the GBA era is actually being grabbed by a few different titles these days.

Used to be the casual gamers games & portable that rose over the 2nd week, usually because people just plain didn't know they were out and word got around.

I' guessing the TV ads, very positive word of mouth and seasonally large footfall of stores has meant that titles which had disappointing first weeks can pick up over Xmas. One or two interesting new titles in this period could make a big difference. Zak & Wiki may just be the Wii's version of this if Nintendo are clever and ship out more machines on it's week of release to stores that order 1:1 with Z&W...

Graphics Horse said:
It's not THAT unusual, Last week I said it might end up around the same place as Call of Duty PS3, and it did.
But yeah the 'only two days' thing is annoying.

You might not have said it, but judging by a whole slew of posts in the last PAL thread it'd certainly seem incredibly improbable.

methane47

THERE"S STILL HOPE FOR THE Uncharted Word of Mouth sales
Here is Gamefly's top 10 Most Popular rentals in the US.

1) Assassin's Creed (360)
2) Mass Effect (360)
3) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360)
4) **** & *****: Dead Men (360)
5) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)
6) Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
7) Need for Speed: ProStreet (360)
8) BlackSite: Area 51 (360)
9) Assassin's Creed (PS3)
10)Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (360)

Raist

Banned
methane47 said:

2) Mass Effect (360)
4) **** & *****: Dead Men Rent It (360)
5) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)
6) Super Mario Galaxy Rent It (Wii)

rent it huh ? :p

methane47 said:

2) Mass Effect (360)
4) **** & *****: Dead Men Rent It (360)
5) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Rent It (PS3)
6) Super Mario Galaxy Rent It (Wii)

Ha, for a second I thought that was part of the title.

Doc Evils

w00t at Uncharted. I told you guy it was due to stock problems. It's still is going out of stock at places, such as gameplay.com.

I think word of mouth is really paying off for this game.

200,000 unit sales this week in Europe for PS3, what software did they buy with them??

Come on Uncharted and Ratchett you can do it..... (i have faith)

justjohn

DefectiveReject said:
200,000 unit sales this week in Europe for PS3, what software did they buy with them??

Come on Uncharted and Ratchett you can do it..... (i have faith)
why do you always make it so easy for your tag to be quoted?

kbear

antiloop said:

08 Singstar (PS3)
11 Assassins Creed (360)
15 FIFA 08 (PS2)
19 Assassins Creed (PS3)

It's simple.. Sweden = hot, perfect 10, natural blondes who prefer party games like Singstar over hardcore games. They probably have weekly Singstar slumber parties that slowly turn into naked lesbian romps as the night wears thin. I'm not even playing.. take a look:

00001bp2.jpg

P.S. I haven't busted a nut all week

Loudninja

kbear said:
It's simple.. Sweden = hot, perfect 10, natural blondes who prefer party games like Singstar over hardcore games. They probably have weekly Singstar slumber parties that slowly turn into naked lesbian romps as the night wears thin. I'm not even playing.. take a look:

00001bp2.jpg

I see :lol

Xavien

UK was Segaland during the Mega Drive/SNES era, now it's Nintendoland, so im not surprised that Mario & Sonic are at no.1. With Sonic tugging on older gamers fond memories and Mario being the hot item right now.

Not to mention that Mario and Sonic is probably THE most advertised game on TV right now.

Xavien said:
UK was Segaland during the Mega Drive/SNES era, now it's Nintendoland, so im not surprised that Mario & Sonic are at no.1. With Sonic tugging on older gamers fond memories and Mario being the hot item right now.

Not to mention that Mario and Sonic is probably THE most advertised game on TV right now.

I think what is helping the game more than anything, is every single sales assistant in Game, Gamestation, Zavvi, HMV etc describing the game as "Wii Sports, but with track and field events".

Doc Evils

kbear said:

00001bp2.jpg

whaat!:lol

test_account said:
I remember last week when people said "Uncharted was only tracked for 1-2 days" and some other responded that that goes for alot of games and that Uncharted would drop hehe :p Good for Naughty Dog and Sony that it jumped quite a bit :)
I don't know about UK but in Germany Uncharted recently had a MASSIVE media blitz. I've never seen so many ads for a single game ever before. It was in every ad break I watched this weekend - crazy stuff. While I didn't think the ad was too hot, it was refreshing to see loads of in-game stuff for once and not only pre-rendered movies.

So I expect Uncharted to enter the German Top10 based on the volume of ads alone (didn't in it's launch week). If the situation was comparable in the UK it would explain the jump.

As for the 1-2 days thing, that's the same with EVERY software that launches, that's why it was frowned upon.

Doc Evils said:
Update:

Uncharted has gone out of stock AGAIN at Amazon uk, Game, Gameplay, and Gamestation.

Play: http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/3440760/Uncharted-Drake-Fortune/Product.html

Is the ONLY place with stock.
Blah has it in stock as well. Don't browse a whole lot of other UK sites, so I don't know about others.

speculawyer said:
360 still looks pretty strong in Europe considering all this talk about how Europe is Sonyland.
That situation is exclusive to the UK though.

Loudninja

909er said:
Just like PS3's success is pretty much exclusive to Spain.

bull

Edit:also
Originally Posted by 909er:
Dude, I think people need to look at reality. He's right, everyone says "wait till next week" every week, and nobody learns. The game places lower the next week (bar the very few exceptions which seem to be Soccer or Nintendo related) and that fact is ignored and replaced by a new set of people saying "well, it's only been out 2 days". Even games that have long legs like Mario Galaxy have consistently placed under Assassins Creed 360. It didn't have a resurgence to the top. It's not gonna do better next week. Just like Mass Effect isn't going up from word of mouth, etc.

909er

Loudninja said:
bull

Edit:also

Just pointing out how stupid the UK only thing sounds.

Also, I wasn't wrong. A resurgence suggest something than going up from a shit spot to meh spot. A resurgence would be more like Mario and Sonic, which shot up to the top spot from a much weaker position.

Top Bottom