• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 8, 2013

haikira

Mind elaborating please? How can the abilities be used in combat, etc?

• Invisibility will allow you to evade enemies, flank or pass through unnoticed.
  • Armor will allow you to take more damage, including fall damage.
  • Abilities like ground pound can be used to devastating effect from an elevated position.
  • You can remote hack turrets, mines and other devices to turn them against the enemy.
  • The visor allows you tag enemies and weapon drops, allowing you to better plan before making a move.
  • There's the suits leveling up system, which will allow you tailor your stats for specific situations.
  • Kind of cheating, but weapons modification comes up as a suit ability. It allows you to make quick on the fly modifications to your weapon, for different situations.

EDIT: Oh and charging up melee allows you to fling around very heavy objects.

mclem

Monster Hunter might chart in the mid 20's.

I'd be shocked if Most Wanted or LEGO chart.

If we were dealing with the Wii userbase, I'd actually expect Lego to do better than either of the other two games; the TTG Lego titles did rather well. On the Wii U, though, all bets are off.

Bumhead

Banned
I expect all 3 of 'em to chart. It's not as if Wii-U owners are drowning in a deluge of hot titles.

What Wii U owners?

I can quite easily see Most Wanted especially sleep walking into chart nothingness. Did Ninja Gaiden 3 chart? Wasn't there an NBA game recently released as well or something?

eFDq3aO.jpg

okay...

Edit: Crysis PS3 + X360 sold around 10% more than MGR.
100 vs 61/2 + 39*2

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/feb/25/games-xbox

Not a real metal gear. Marketing is waaaaaaay lower than you can expect from a mainline game.

I disagree, I've seen quite a lot of advertising for Metal Gear Rising. TV ads, bus ads, billboard ads, etc. "The Steel Storm Rises" is a great tag-line.

Back on point, it certainly hasn't been lower than what you'd expect to see from marketing for a AAA title.

Bumhead

Banned
sure it's late port

And at £40..

Just not seeing it doing well at all, personally. The market of UK based Wii U owners interested in playing Most Wanted, who don't already own a PS3 or 360 and who didn't already buy it at launch or once it went down to £20, has got to be pretty small I'd have thought.

LEGO could go either way. Being LEGO gives it a chance, being a non-branded LEGO game potentially makes life harder for it. Prior to LEGO Star Wars there were lots of pretty middling-to-terrible stand alone LEGO games and I suppose there's a danger this one could be perceived along those lines. It seems to me the LEGO games are generally selling less anyway (I've no hard data for that, but I don't think LOTR set the world alight did it? I could be wrong) and without another brand associated with it, it could pass under the radar.

I dunno, maybe all 3 could chart if the 30th-40th placed games sell miniscule amounts, which is likely, but I'm not expecting any genuine chart success for any of them, and I wouldn't be shocked if LEGO and Most Wanted both got shunned.

DrWong

Sorry, a slightly off topic but it should interest some of you. I copy here what I just posted in the Wii U sales in France: 120k in 2012 thread.

Thread bump. Don't know (don't think) it deserves a new thread.

So, some numbers regarding 2012, from an interview (done in mid-January) of Philippe Lavoué, "Directeur général adjoint" of Nintendo France. This interview is not available online, published in the latest issue of the JDLI (Journal des loisirs interactif), a printed magazine dedicated to the interactive entertainment industry.

Just to let you know: the Fr. website Gamekult just reported some of these datas today. I'm reporting the full stuff here, directly from the magazine.

Wii U >

- 118 000 Wii U sold (65% of the Wii sales for the same period)
- Wii U + Wii sales, for the 5 last weeks of 2012, is up to 34% compared to the same period in 2006 (I assume Wii + Gamecube).
- 372 000 Wii sold in 2012. Installed base is at 6 161 000.
- Premium Pack accounted for 90% of the Wii U sales.
- Wii U sales per pack: 75% is Nintendo Land pack, 15% for the Zombi U pack and 10% for the Basic pack.

3DS >

- 1.7 millions 3DS sold in France.
- 3DS is the system which sold the most in France in 2012: 947 000 units (it represents slightly more than 1 console for 3 sold for this entire year).
- 3DS buisness (system, games, accessories...) is 41% up in 2012.
- 3DS hardware is 20% up in value. 3DS software is 88% up in value.
- Since its launch the 3DS XL represents 70% of the 3DS sales.
- More than 40% of the 3DS userbase are girls/women.

3DS softwares:
- Mario Kart 7 LTD: 623 000 units
- Super Mario 3D Land: 584 000 units
- Nintendogs + Cats: 333 000 units
- NSMB 2 (released in August): 400 000 units
- Pr. Layton and the Miracle Mask (released in October): 142 000
- Style Savvy: Trendsetters (released in November): 85 000

3DS 3rd parties performance for 2012:
- Warner Bros. Int.: 333% up.
- Disney: 287% up.
- Activision 67% up.
- Ubisoft, "already well positioned": 18% up.

Crytek can't be happy with the PS3 numbers. I wonder if it's poor sales are directly related to how poorly Crysis 2 runs on the console?

It should be expected that shooters sell better on xbox. They might not be happy with sales in general but I don't know how much Aliens or Dead Space sold.

Just realised that Chart track actually give the sales gap between Crysis+ MGR, unusual.

Moonstone

German market numbers 2012:

General
Total sales 1,851 billion € (1,99) -7%
http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/marktzahlen/die-deutsche-gamesbranche-2012.html

Sales without Microtransactions: 1,501 billion €
Games sold (digital & retail): 73,7 Mio (record high)
http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/marktzahlen/datentraeger-und-downloads/marktentwicklung-verkaufte-spiele.html

Retail vs Digital:
units: 62%/38% (74%/26%)
sales: 89%11% (94%/6%)

PC Games
units: 24,7 Mio (24,6)
sales: 464 Mio € (445)

Console Games
units: 23,1 Mio (24,8)
sales: 819 Mio € (889)

Handheld Games
units: 6,7 Mio (8,5)
sales: 189 Mio € (212)

Smartphones & Mobile
http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/marktzahlen/datentraeger-und-downloads/mobile-games.html

Total (Subscriptions, Premium-Accounts and virtual goods) 350 Mio (416 ) = -16%
Reason according to Gamesmarkt: people moved to microtransactions and dropped subscription based services.

Onlinegames: 98 Mio € (153)
Browsergames: 26 Mio € (30)
Online- & Browsergames: 124 Mio € (183)
Itemselling: 226 Mio € (231)
Virtual bonus content: 4,68 Mio € (3,67) +27%
http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/marktzahlen/online-und-browser-games/marktentwicklung.html

14 mio consumers play online, 11,1 Mio browsergames 5,4 Mio onlinegames (2011: 15,5 Mio, 11,9 Mio, 6 Mio)

The average gamer is

Source: Biu and Gamesmarkt

Additional data and conclusions
Average PC game price: 18,78€
Average console game price: 35, 45€

Keep in mind that wii games are included here and those games are cheaper in general.
HD console games sell probably for 40€ on average! Does anybody know the average price for a console game in the uk?

Comparison to the uk gaming market 2012
Total uk sales 2012: £1.598bn which is 1.8182 bn Euro at the current rate. So germany is now at the same size as uk.

Pc is probably up because of Diablo 3.

http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/...im-ersten-halbjahr-2012/marktentwicklung.html

So why is online down? I think that might be a problem of categories here. The biggest onlinegames GW2 and Diablo 3 charted high and BIU put them in the pc category, I guess a lot of online gamers bought those games.

Dinda

General
http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/marktzahlen/die-deutsche-gamesbranche-2012.html

http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/marktzahlen/datentraeger-und-downloads/marktentwicklung-verkaufte-spiele.html

Retail vs Digital:

PC Games

Console Games

Germany a true PC Gamers Dream. More PC Games sold than on all Home Consoles combined.
I love it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Really? I write for a big Italian website for Nintendo platforms, and we had a quite active community for MH3. Basically everyone who got MH3, will get MH3U.

Tri was pushed hard and I think some were sold it on false pretences.

As I said earlier in the thread, a lot of the folks who bought Tri or downloaded the Ultimate demo will likely not bother with the game. It's not very Western friendly.

Foshy

Germany a true PC Gamers Dream. More PC Games sold than on all Home Consoles combined.
I love it.
Germany really likes its Farming Simulators and other similar PC "games" though. As for the core market, I'm pretty sure it's bigger on consoles like everywhere else.

Tri was pushed hard and I think some were sold it on false pretences.

As I said earlier in the thread, a lot of the folks who bought Tri or downloaded the Ultimate demo will likely not bother with the game. It's not very Western friendly.

3 Ultimate is pushed a lot as well, with demos and bundles. Not saying is going to replicate 3's numbers, but it will be quite relevant.

General

Retail vs Digital:

PC Games

Console Games

Handheld Games
units: 6,7 Mio (8,5)
sales: 189 Mio € (212)

Smartphones & Mobile
http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/marktzahlen/datentraeger-und-downloads/mobile-games.html

Total (Subscriptions, Premium-Accounts and virtual goods) 350 Mio (416 ) = -16%
Reason according to Gamesmarkt: people moved to microtransactions and dropped subscription based services.

Onlinegames: 98 Mio € (153)
Browsergames: 26 Mio € (30)
Online- & Browsergames: 124 Mio € (183)
Itemselling: 226 Mio € (231)
Virtual bonus content: 4,68 Mio € (3,67) +27%
http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/marktzahlen/online-und-browser-games/marktentwicklung.html

14 mio consumers play online, 11,1 Mio browsergames 5,4 Mio onlinegames (2011: 15,5 Mio, 11,9 Mio, 6 Mio)

The average gamer is

Source: Biu and Gamesmarkt

Additional data and conclusions
Average PC game price: 18,78€
Average console game price: 35, 45€

Keep in mind that wii games are included here and those games are cheaper in general.
HD console games sell probably for 40€ on average! Does anybody know the average price for a console game in the uk?

Comparison to the uk gaming market 2012
Total uk sales 2012: £1.598bn which is 1.8182 bn Euro at the current rate. So germany is now at the same size as uk.

Pc is probably up because of Diablo 3.

http://www.biu-online.de/de/fakten/...im-ersten-halbjahr-2012/marktentwicklung.html

So why is online down? I think that might be a problem of categories here. The biggest onlinegames GW2 and Diablo 3 charted high and BIU put them in the pc category, I guess a lot of online gamers bought those games.

UK data for 2012?

Finland:
1) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)
2) PlayStation Network Card 20 Eur (Card)
3) Crysis 3: Hunter Edition (PS3)
4) Crysis e: Hunter Edition (PC)
5) Crysis 3: Hunter Edition (X360)
6) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
7) NHL 13: Stanley Cup - Collector's Edition (PS3)
8) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (X360)
9) PlayStation Network Card 50 Eur (Card)
10) NHL 13 (PS3)
11) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
12) Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch (PS3)
13) Battlefield 3 (PS3)
14) Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition (PS3)
15) SingStar Suomihuiput (PS3)
16) Skate 3 (PS3)
17) Ratchet & Clank: QForce (PS3)
18) GTA IV (PS3)
19) LittleBigPlanet (PS3)
20) Live Points 2100P (Card)

Denmark:
1) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
2) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
3) Crysis 3: Hunter Edition (Pc)
4) Crysis 3: Hunter Edition (PS3)
5) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
6) FIFA 13 (PS3)
7) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)
8) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
9) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
10) Crysis 3 (PC)
11) Crysis 3 (PS3)
12) WoW: Mists of Pandaria (PC)
13) PlayStation Network Card 200 KR (Card)
14) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (PS3)
15) Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition (PS3)
16) Crysis 3: Hunter Edition (X360)
17) Far Cry 3 (PC)
18) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
19) The Sims 3: 70's, 80's & 90's (PC)
20) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

Moonstone

Germany really likes its Farming Simulators and other similar PC "games" though. As for the core market, I'm pretty sure it's bigger on consoles like everywhere else.

To a certain extent true, but those simulators are cheap and only Landwirtschaftsimulator charted in the Top 20 bestselling charts of the year. There are other simulators but those usually don't sell that much.

PC has a huge budget sector here. Green Pepper Edition and those Hidden-Object games for kids get a lot of store space. There are also the PnC Adventures. You can see it of the low average retail price of pc titles - budget pc market is big.

Core titles may sell better on the Playstation but we only get retail numbers. PC versions of console games chart and get sale awards frequently. Dead Space 3 entered the chart right behind the PS3 version for instance.

Bruno MB

yW8JH.png

Germany:
Week 08, 2013 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS3 CRYSIS 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (NE) PS3 METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE (KONAMI)
03 (NE) 360 CRYSIS 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
04 (NE) 360 METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE (KONAMI)
05 (06) 3DS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (NINTENDO)
06 (08) PS3 FAR CRY 3 (UBISOFT)
07 (07) PS3 NI NO KUNI: DER FLUCH DER WEIßEN KÖNIGIN (NAMCO BANDAI GAMES)
08 (03) PS3 DEAD SPACE 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (03) WII JUST DANCE 4 (UBISOFT)
10 (01) PS3 ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES (SEGA)

Xater

And don#t ignore the number about which of those sectors made more money.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ni no Kuni holding quite well in Germany.

That's pretty good indeed. And I'm even more surprised in seeing that, if it weren't for the four brand new releases, NSMB2 would have been at the first place. Week 8, 2012 had the first 3DS title at 9th, not counting PC titles (MK7), and it was another big week in terms of releases since it was Vita's launch.

So:
UK Market: £1.598bn (£1.934bn) -17.4
German Market: €1,851bn (€1,99) -7%

£1 = €1.16
So (if am doing this right):

UK: €1.85368
Germany: €1.851bn

Pretty equal. Likely Germany will be ahead this year if trends continue.
UK still does well in relation to the population but its still seeing the big declines a few haven't wanted to see.

Really? I write for a big Italian website for Nintendo platforms, and we had a quite active community for MH3. Basically everyone who got MH3, will get MH3U.

Anecdotes are relatively meaningless. You may or may not have 100s or 1000s or members at your forums, but those are insignificantly small numbers to determine anything. Plus I assume its even only - primarily - within the regions of Italy, which makes even less telling.

flattie

Hmm. I guess that Persona 4 entry is respectable considering it has had zero marketing, is on Vita and is trailing the rest of the world in terms of release date.

I waited for this release and picked it up last week. First JRPG I've tried since FFX (which put me off the genre completely). I thought this would be the perfect game to jump back in based on the overwhelmingly positive attitude towards it. I shouldn't have bothered. Just can't get on with it. The battle system is keeping me vaguely interested, but any goodwill built up there is soon lost to the narrative and characterisation, which I find consistently appalling and makes me just want to hammer 'x' to get through the story scenes (at least you can do that). I guess JRPGs just aren't for me anymore.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So:
UK Market: £1.598bn (£1.934bn) -17.4
German Market: €1,851bn (€1,99) -7%

£1 = €1.16
So (if am doing this right):

UK: €1.85368
Germany: €1.851bn

Pretty equal. Likely Germany will be ahead this year if trends continue.
UK still does well in relation to the population but its still seeing the big declines a few haven't wanted to see.

Different markets. Germany is very PC-centric as seen in the figures.

I doubt the UK PC sales last year were anywhere close to this:

So the majority of UK would be console-based.

Different markets. Germany is very PC-centric as seen in the figures.

I doubt the UK PC sales last year were anywhere close to this:

So the majority of UK would be console-based.

Well obviously but one has dropped far larger than the other.
Anyway, where the market is taking place doesn't change its overall size or relevancy.
Nor do we have the comparable numbers (unless someone does?)

Saty

Crysis 3 is top of the UK video games chart for a second week, but there is nothing new of note to challenge it.

FIFA 13 dribbles into second, nudging Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance to third.

Black Ops 2 lingers in fourth, Far Cry 3 climbs a vine to fifth and Need for Speed: Most Wanted is sixth.

The awful Aliens: Colonial Marines hangs on in there in seventh, putting less than 100 sales between it and fellow sci-fi shooter Dead Space 3 in eighth.

Assassin's Creed 3 is ninth and Hitman: Absolution 10th.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-04-uk-chart-crytek-another-bow-crysis-3

Emwitus

I haven't been following these sales threads in years but is ps3 now in complete control in europe over 360? It seems to fill the charts,

Top Bottom