• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario The Origami King Announced for Nintendo Switch - Launches July 17th

Kokoloko85

Remember all those leaks/rumors:

- Mario 64 Remaster/Remake
- Mario Sunshine Remaster
- Mario Galaxy Remaster
- Mario 3D World Switch Port/Remaster
- NEW Paper Mario game

I'd say it's just a matter of time for the rest of that list now.
MArio 64 remaster.... I like
Sunshine remaster too

This looks great. Battle system could make it an amazing game or a good/ decent game

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I rewatched the video. Very exciting! Hah art style is kind of Crafted World which I have and love. I love the realistically rendered arts & crafts look so this is right up my alley.

i never played any Paper Mario but I did play a bit of Mario RPG and it was good stuff.

Hah I see people comparing this to that as if comparing anything to hot streak 90s golden era Square is fair. They were working in a miracle factory back then. That said they are doing damn well nowadays and I wouldn’t say no to another Square-Nintendo collab.

Codes 208

Remember all those leaks/rumors:

- Mario 64 Remaster/Remake
- Mario Sunshine Remaster
- Mario Galaxy Remaster
- Mario 3D World Switch Port/Remaster

I'd say it's just a matter of time for the rest of that list now.
Id be happy with just this. The one thing I miss from the wii u. (Well that and the HD zelda games. And VC.)

Grinchy

Banned
This is looking spicy! My only real experience with a Paper Mario game is trying to play the N64 version and hitting too many emulation issues with it to continue.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Odd trailer. Didn't exactly do much to get me excited, but it's Paper Mario so I'm sure it will be fun, dad jokes aside.

Last edited:

Bakkus

Would people stop acting like TTYD had a revolutionary battle system. It didn't. It was basic as fuck. Get over it!

Annoying Cunt: "God! Nintendo just make the same game over and over again!".

*Nintendo changes it up*

Annoying Cunt: "OMG! Why did they change this game so much? They perfected the formula in the previous installments! Fuck you Miyamoto!!".
Is it possible to be more disingenuous than this? I sincerely doubt it.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Few things are as good as a new Paper Mario game, even Sticker Star and Colour Splash. There is so much potential with the staff credited to have gone absolutely bonkers with them so it's strange to see that the first two games have yet to be surpassed.

Origami King looks like a step in the right direction.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
RIP this series. Nothing but kid firendly paper meta jokes galore, basic characters with no originality to them. RPG elements have been reduced to nothing. Uninspiring visuals. Just depressing.

get rekt 🧂

giphy-downsized.gif

Last edited:

Murr

This is looking spicy! My only real experience with a Paper Mario game is trying to play the N64 version and hitting too many emulation issues with it to continue.

It works no problem in Retroarch nowadays. You should give it another try, I used Parallei Core for it.

Actually looked pretty good, although after the last 3 in a row being duds, I'm a bit wary to say the least.

My wife pretty much instantly fell in love with it though, so I'll be buying it for her anyway and giving it a go myself after.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Chinese Paper Mario: The Origami King trailer shows partner Toad in combat

JSHwDlo.jpg

Nintendo ended up announcing Paper Mario: The Origami King out of nowhere yesterday, following speculation that a new entry in the series would be coming to Switch. One of the things we heard when the initial rumors started is that the Switch title should be a return to the franchise’s roots. It remains to be seen how closely Paper Mario: The Origami King follows the blueprints of the N64 and GameCube games, but there is at least one positive sign.

Nintendo did say in its announcement that “you’ll enlist the help of characters old and new”. While the extent of that remains to be seen, partners may appear in battle. A trailer actually shows a different version of a battle scene not included elsewhere. In the Chinese version, the same Toad that follows Mario in the overworld also appears during combat.

No one can say for sure why China received a slightly different version of the trailer. Thankfully, Paper Mario: The Origami King is just a couple of months out, and we should be learning more soon. Hopefully future updates confirm that partners will indeed play a role in combat.

Kokoloko85

Id be happy with just this. The one thing I miss from the wii u. (Well that and the HD zelda games. And VC.)

I too miss the VC and really want Wind Waker HD back....stuff like this frustrates me with nintendo.
Sunshine and Winder Waker are my most requested ports to the switch

mickaus

After playing Colour Splash on the WiiU and enjoying it I might pick this up. I love how colourful the recent paper mario games have been, really makes my HD tv shine. With so many big games having very limited colours like black, grey and green it is nice to see some fresh use of colours on screen.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Wtf July 2020! Was thinking October or something
"Hey guys have a Paper Mario Lolz, bye"
It's really cool imo. Best surprise I've heard in a very long time. I'm glad it came out of nowhere
I can't wait,it looks like a really ambitious one, best since the original for the looks of the trailer. World is way more open in that sea and desert area. TTYD and SPM were a bit restricted in a sense, but this one seems to allow a lot more freedom and roaming

Cutty Flam

Banned
Much needed. Honestly, the timing is perfect. Hardcore staples like this seldom drop in the Summer. Personally, my favorite time of the year. Things should look a bit better by then too

Cutty Flam

Banned
I never played any Paper Mario games before, are they turn based combat RPG? If so, I'm in.
Turned based combat RPG style. The first Paper Mario for the N64 is the most charming adventure I’ve ever played. Have so many excellent memories playing that game with friends back in the day. It’s single player, but we would always play either I’d play my file or I’d watch over his playthrough

It’s a classic. I would highly recommend playing it. And it would likely be perfect timing, you’d likely finish it not too far from Paper Mario: The Origami King release date

Andyliini

I never played any Paper Mario games before, are they turn based combat RPG? If so, I'm in.

Outside of Super Paper Mario, the games have turn-based combat. The system can be quite different between the games, but they are all turn based in their own way. It seems like Origami King is as well.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It’s a classic. I would highly recommend playing it. And it would likely be perfect timing, you’d likely finish it not too far from Paper Mario: The Origami King release date
Is there easy way to play first Paper Mario if I don’t have N64 and gaming PC?

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Is there easy way to play first Paper Mario if I don’t have N64 and gaming PC?
That I’m not sure of since I don’t know PC gaming and how to navigate emulators and such unfortunately. I hear the N64 games are kind of tough to emulate? So maybe just purchasing an N64 to play it. I would recommend the Wii and buying it on the online VC but idk if they even have a server to go online anymore to even buy Paper Mario for the Wii...And I never bought the Wii U so not sure about that option for buying Paper Mario

Personally I would just buy an N64, godly console imo. If mine hadn’t broke like 6 years ago I’d have still been playing today lol

Cutty Flam

Banned
Chinese Paper Mario: The Origami King trailer shows partner Toad in combat

JSHwDlo.jpg

Nintendo ended up announcing Paper Mario: The Origami King out of nowhere yesterday, following speculation that a new entry in the series would be coming to Switch. One of the things we heard when the initial rumors started is that the Switch title should be a return to the franchise’s roots. It remains to be seen how closely Paper Mario: The Origami King follows the blueprints of the N64 and GameCube games, but there is at least one positive sign.

Nintendo did say in its announcement that “you’ll enlist the help of characters old and new”. While the extent of that remains to be seen, partners may appear in battle. A trailer actually shows a different version of a battle scene not included elsewhere. In the Chinese version, the same Toad that follows Mario in the overworld also appears during combat.

No one can say for sure why China received a slightly different version of the trailer. Thankfully, Paper Mario: The Origami King is just a couple of months out, and we should be learning more soon. Hopefully future updates confirm that partners will indeed play a role in combat.
I wonder what Bowser’s role is in this? He’s folded up and tagging along with Mario for this one lmao. Was laughing about that after I saw the trailer, seems like he got the short end of the stick again haha

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That I’m not sure of since I don’t know PC gaming and how to navigate emulators and such unfortunately. I hear the N64 games are kind of tough to emulate? So maybe just purchasing an N64 to play it. I would recommend the Wii and buying it on the online VC but idk if they even have a server to go online anymore to even buy Paper Mario for the Wii...And I never bought the Wii U so not sure about that option for buying Paper Mario

Personally I would just buy an N64, godly console imo. If mine hadn’t broke like 6 years ago I’d have still been playing today lol
Currently it's kind of impossible for me to buy N64, I'm already having a hard time buying the current newly released games because this whole pandemic.

wat

It's $60 and Nintendo won't drop a first party game price like that, much less in a few months. Unless you mean used or so, still gonna be tricky tho.

It depends on how well it sells. Colour Splash in the UK dropped like a Rock because of the reputation the games got. The image was a light-hearted joke really. :p

I am optimistic that this will be better, but I wouldn't be as surprised if it follows a price drop at least in the UK if it doesn't warrant the £35/40 price tag. It's touch and go in this Country as to whether Nintendo games prices drop or not. To be honest most retailers over here are starting to charge above the £42 that Nintendo ask for, going as far as £55 for Animal Crossing!!!

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
It depends on how well it sells. Colour Splash in the UK dropped like a Rock because of the reputation the games got. The image was a light-hearted joke really. :p

I am optimistic that this will be better, but I wouldn't be as surprised if it follows a price drop at least in the UK if it doesn't warrant the £35/40 price tag. It's touch and go in this Country as to whether Nintendo games prices drop or not. To be honest most retailers over here are starting to charge above the £42 that Nintendo ask for, going as far as £55 for Animal Crossing!!!

I agree
It's not a AAA game.
So Nintendo should actually sell it for 40$, and makes the big money.
(with just little marketing investments)

I agree
It's not a AAA game.
So Nintendo should actually sell it for 40$, and makes the big money.
(with just little marketing investments)

I understand that Nintendo doesn't like diluting their brands, but not everything they make have to be $60 games. (it's the opposite to the Mobile Mentality where they assume everyone will pay only small amounts).

At $40/£30, people will try out those A or B Tiered games and good word of mouth tends to mean bigger sales!

Given how quick of a turnaround this game seems to have, it seems their marketing budget won't be that big.

jts

...hate me...

Yeah, it is safe to say Wii U games and their sales success and price drops have absolutely no bearing on the Switch, and we can take a look at 3 years of Switch games to see that.

D.Final

Banned
I understand that Nintendo doesn't like diluting their brands, but not everything they make have to be $60 games. (it's the opposite to the Mobile Mentality where they assume everyone will pay only small amounts).

At $40/£30, people will try out those A or B Tiered games and good word of mouth tends to mean bigger sales!

Given how quick of a turnaround this game seems to have, it seems their marketing budget won't be that big.

I agree
Let's hope for the best choice

Cutty Flam

Banned
I noticed you missed liking a few posts in this thread.
Yo Scotty. Cannot wait for this game, the original Paper Mario is my favorite game of all time. Period. It’s my favorite of any game. So when I was about to start playing some Resident Evil: Zero on my Switch, the colors caught my eye and I was like, “...Wait a minute...” went to the news section for Switch, saw it, and instantly played it. Couldn’t have been more delighted, it looks like they’re back on board with what the original for the N64 set out to do. It’s only the first trailer, and Nintendo seems to knock trailers out of the park, but from my eyes it looks like they’re all in with this one. From the very start, we see Mario fall from Princess Peach’s Castle just like in the original. This is a good sign imo. Can’t wait to play. I sunk like 300-400 hrs playing Paper Mario on my file and watching my friends and family play, easily another 100 hrs

Such a magical game. It’s so simple for an RPG, but it’s brilliant as can be in that simplicity of gameplay and its approach. Can talk all day about that game

Scotty W

Yo Scotty. Cannot wait for this game, the original Paper Mario is my favorite game of all time. Period. It’s my favorite of any game. So when I was about to start playing some Resident Evil: Zero on my Switch, the colors caught my eye and I was like, “...Wait a minute...” went to the news section for Switch, saw it, and instantly played it. Couldn’t have been more delighted, it looks like they’re back on board with what the original for the N64 set out to do. It’s only the first trailer, and Nintendo seems to knock trailers out of the park, but from my eyes it looks like they’re all in with this one. From the very start, we see Mario fall from Princess Peach’s Castle just like in the original. This is a good sign imo. Can’t wait to play. I sunk like 300-400 hrs playing Paper Mario on my file and watching my friends and family play, easily another 100 hrs

Such a magical game. It’s so simple for an RPG, but it’s brilliant as can be in that simplicity of gameplay and its approach. Can talk all day about that game
I feel the same about Super Mario RPG. I wish we could have both series.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I feel the same about Super Mario RPG. I wish we could have both series.
Same. That is a legendary Mario game. I wish there were more like that, but Square Enix seems to have the recipe. Maybe Nintendo is hesitant to make hardcore titles with Mario at this point? Just throwing it out there; it could be a possibility

Top Bottom