• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

Llyranor

EU4 is like driving a car, Civilization V/VI is like playing with a toy car. You'll be fine.
Heh. After moving from Civ 4 to EU3 back in the day, I haven't been able to look back.

After some time with CK2, I decided to try to finally learn EU4 better.
Of course I fucked up right out of the gate with going for colonization without really reading up on it. So now I am locked in a on-off war with Burgundy and friends for Calais. I have tried to be non-aggressive with England, since all I did in CK was war. Game is really good so far though. I just need to get better.

What do you mean, get better? What's wrong with endless warfare?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So .. if I can play Paradox games, then I should be able to learn Civ games, right?

Never really got Civ V or its predecessors, but have decided to purchase Civ VI because it looks more fun.

Civ-games have nothing on the complexity of the EU-games so you should be completely fine. They also offer something quite different, so its an enjoyable series to complement Europa Universalis. Although I must say Civ5 was probably the least deep in the series so far, and from what I have seen of Civ6, it continues the trend of reducing the important decisions :( I really liked Civ2, it has much less features, but the ones it has matters. Civ4 is more complex and still pretty well balanced, so yeah, I would recommend either of those.

ZZMitch

Civ-games have nothing on the complexity of the EU-games so you should be completely fine. They also offer something quite different, so its an enjoyable series to complement Europa Universalis. Although I must say Civ5 was probably the least deep in the series so far, and from what I have seen of Civ6, it continues the trend of reducing the important decisions :( I really liked Civ2, it has much less features, but the ones it has matters. Civ4 is more complex and still pretty well balanced, so yeah, I would recommend either of those.

I think Civ 6 has a lot more strategic depth actually. The new district system, builder charges, and Eurekas help a lot with that. Best Civ game I have played at launch IMO

Purkake4

Banned
Civ is like a boardgame, there's an infinite number of configurations and every game is different, but there is a limited moveset.

Paradox's games are detailed simulations, you can insert yourself anywhere, but the game will work with zero human input. On those rare occasions when all the systems are properly calibrated you can experience amazing chaos theory moments with little things coming together like taking France out of the picture in EU4 because of a lucky revolt or pagans conquering Europe because of Catholic infighting in Ck2.

Morfeo

I think Civ 6 has a lot more strategic depth actually. The new district system, builder charges, and Eurekas help a lot with that. Best Civ game I have played at launch IMO

Glad to hear this! Like I wrote, I havent played it yet, but I hated Civ5 (after the excellent Civ4) and it seems like it takes a lot from that game. Will definitely check it out eventually.

More complexity =/ depth. Civ games are generally better designed than Paradox's if anything.

I definitely agree that complexity is not the same as depth, and there is a lot of complexity in the Paradox-games that doesnt really add much to the gameplay imo. If Civ-games are better designed is a completely other question though, Civ6 might be, but even the best earlier games in the series, is nowhere near the depth of most Paradox-games.

ZZMitch

Glad to hear this! Like I wrote, I havent played it yet, but I hated Civ5 (after the excellent Civ4) and it seems like it takes a lot from that game. Will definitely check it out eventually.

I definitely agree that complexity is not the same as depth, and there is a lot of complexity in the Paradox-games that doesnt really add much to the gameplay imo. If Civ-games are better designed is a completely other question though, Civ6 might be, but even the best earlier games in the series, is nowhere near the depth of most Paradox-games.

What I mean when I say "strategic depth" I am talking about decisions that were simple in Civ 5 being harder in Civ 6. I think Civ 6 makes you think more about each of your moves than Civ 5 does.

The most obvious example of this for me is builder charges. In Civ5 you could just spam workers forever and after a while it didn't really matter which tile you improved so you could just mindlessly fill in places. In Civ 6 the fact that builders have charges means you have to think about where to use them (or risk wasting production on making more builders). The district system is amazing too because every city you settle is now influenced by how well that landscapes conforms to districts and their bonuses. And since a lot of districts influence each other and want to be near similar geographic features there is a lot of thinking in how to place them. Eurekas also tie into this by giving you a reason to differentiate from the "optimal" line of stuff in order to get those bonuses.

frontovik

Banned
Wow, Civilization's pacing and style does not suit me. I think I've been spoiled by Paradox.

The AI is too warlike, advancing through the ages is relatively quick, and resource management is kinda convoluted.

Wow, Civilization's pacing and style does not suit me. I think I've been spoiled by Paradox.

The AI is too warlike, advancing through the ages is relatively quick, and resource management is kinda convoluted.

Yeah I grew tired of 4X games like Civ because they always lack on the diplomatic side of the game, it''s all about conquest and then conquest doesn't even have war goals/casus belli (again due to lack of diplomacy). I have fun with them for a day... and then I'm bored because I've exhausted basically everything the game has to offer in terms of gameplay variations from mechanics. The 4X genre in general is so stagnated and sterile at this point, there is hardly anything ever new brought into it, at this point you'd think diplomacy would've grown but it's been the same thing in the genre for over two decades now and something many people complain about but never improve.

ZZMitch

Give Marathon game speed a try! Its the only one I play on nowadays

Yeah I grew tired of 4X games like Civ because they always lack on the diplomatic side of the game, it''s all about conquest and then conquest doesn't even have war goals/casus belli (again due to lack of diplomacy). I have fun with them for a day... and then I'm bored because I've exhausted basically everything the game has to offer in terms of gameplay variations from mechanics. The 4X genre in general is so stagnated and sterile at this point, there is hardly anything ever new brought into it, at this point you'd think diplomacy would've grown but it's been the same thing in the genre for over two decades now and something many people complain about but never improve.

Yeah, diplomacy still sucks in Civ games. It's my biggest gripe with the series.

That feel when you send a band of warriors to a distant enemy and by the time they reach there, you're in a new age and it's 1000 years later.

The game is so arcadey it hurts.

Purkake4

Banned
Having Rights of Man around for a while, the AI personalities really add a lot to the game. The bonuses are ok, but having one ruler be a builder and another be a conquerer makes each game different, a bit like CK2.

frontovik

Banned
I don't think Civ is for me, I'll return to it at some point in the near future. I'm going to focus on EU IV again for now.

I primarily focused on playing 1.15 (pre-Cossacks), but am now playing EU IV with all expansions enabled; a few questions..

a) Regarding the conditions for personal unions, I was once playing as France and suddenly got into a personal union with Muscovy once its ruler died without an heir. The condition for this is that I have to be in a royal marriage and not in an alliance, correct?

I remember another situation in which I was playing as Brandenburg, and a member of my dynasty was the king of France without an heir, but I was unable to claim the throne due to inferior prestige. Are Personal Unions automatic or do I have to press for it?

b) Regarding states and territories; is it practical to have core as many states as possible if I want them to be integral to my nation? I view territories as non-essential borderlands.

I don't think Civ is for me, I'll return to it at some point in the near future. I'm going to focus on EU IV again for now.

I primarily focused on playing 1.15 (pre-Cossacks), but am now playing EU IV with all expansions enabled; a few questions..

a) Regarding the conditions for personal unions, I was once playing as France and suddenly got into a personal union with Muscovy once its ruler died without an heir. The condition for this is that I have to be in a royal marriage and not in an alliance, correct?

I remember another situation in which I was playing as Brandenburg, and a member of my dynasty was the king of France without an heir, but I was unable to claim the throne due to inferior prestige. Are Personal Unions automatic or do I have to press for it?

b) Regarding states and territories; is it practical to have core as many states as possible if I want them to be integral to my nation? I view territories as non-essential borderlands.

Everything to do with personal unions

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ages-personal-unions-and-claim-throne.788829/

Personal Unions CAN be forced by claiming throne, and then going to war on that CB, but that negs relations with every country that has royal marriages with you and makes that country go hostile

Personal Unions can become automatic though, the way this works is:

There is an ingame timer, set as the following:
When a monarch becomes heirless, one of the three rulesets will be activated: Tier0, Tier1 or Tier2. (Upon discovery I called them tiers, but now maybe Era would be a better word for them... for the sake of consistency I will keep calling them Tiers.)

In an unaffected world the
- T0 would start on 01.01.xx00 and it would last till 31.12.xx74 in every century. Active for 75 years.
- T1 would start on 01.01.xx75 and it would last till 31.12.xx79 in every century. Active for 5 years.
- T2 would start on 01.01.xx80 and it would last till 31.12.xx99 in every century. Active for 20 years.

These tier dates will move forward one cycle, without the naturally occuring cycle, when:
- a new HRE Emperor is crowned
- a new country is chosen to be the Curia Controller
- the observed country gets a new monarch (even Regency Councils count!)
- the observed country gains/loses provinces
- the observed country moves its capital

Observed country in this case being the country you are trying to get a PU over.

Based off of these tiers, when a monarch has no heir, the little blurb of what happens when the monarch dies is as following, depending on the tier

Tier 0 (the default case):

a) no RM & no dynasty: local noble succeeds

b) RM & no dynasty:
- strongest RM member speads her dynasty

c) No RM & dynasty:
- no valid Contestants exist: PU
- valid Contestant exists -> SW between Successor and Contestantd) RM & dynasty:
- if other dynasty members are too weak -> strongest RM member speads her own dynasty (i.e. Ryazan can't contest a dynasty spread from Austria over Muscovy)
- if at least 1 dynasty member is strong enough to block the spread -> SW between Successor and Contestant.

As said before: claiming throne will always make you defendant in succession war over same dynasty nation, even if you are smaller then the RM partners of the heirless same dynasty nation.

Tier 1 (the inherit case):

a) no RM & no dynasty:
- local noble succeeds

b) every other cases (RM & no dynasty / No RM & dynasty / RM & dynasty):
- strongest Succesor will inherit if her number of provinces >= Junior's NoP * 2 AND Junior's NoP <= 15
- 2nd strongest Succesor will inherit if her number of provinces >= Junior's NoP * 2 AND Junior's NoP <= 15
- succession war between them if neither qualifies for the above (even if there are more RM partners with enough NoP)
- not enough NoP and no valid Contestants exist -> PU
- not enough NoP and valid Contestant exists -> SW between Successor and Contestant

Tier 2 (the instant PU case):

a) no RM & no dynasty: local noble succeeds

b) every other cases (RM & no dynasty / No RM & dynasty / RM & dynasty):
- no valid Contestants exist: PU
- valid Contestant exists -> SW between Successor and Contestant
"Junior" is the junior partner of your future PU
"Successor" is the strongest of: Junior's dynasty members and Junior's RM partners
"Contestant" is the strongest of: Junior's dynasty members and Junior's RM partners and Junior's rivals

How strongest is determined is a little vague, but it has something to do with the overall Adm/Dip/Mil Rank and Rating.

To determine if your dynasty gets priority of others, they look at development/the strongest label

Basically, PUs are complicated

As for territories vs cored states, if the state would make me money, I core it. Not coring borderlands can be even worse, as if those provinces are taken, you don't keep your core.

At times, if all the states' provinces are at max autonomy or something, I'll wait for autonomy to hit the floor of 50% first.

There are such few times I hit the state limit, although if that were to occur, I would probably prioritize the ones that make me the most money (taking trade into account)

ZZMitch

Has anyone else been following the development of MEIOU & Taxes 2.0 (biggest overhaul mod for EU4)?

I played with M&T on for my last few EU4 campaigns and 2.0 looks really cool with all the changes they are making.

TeddyBoy

So back when Hearts of Iron 4 came out I decided to get into the Paradox games, I quite enjoyed the game but I did find it a bit lacking in terms of the AI and some of the detail in the smaller nations. In time I'm sure all these issues will be fixed and I still had a great deal of fun with Hungarian, French and Soviet runs.

So after watching countless let's plays and listening to the the community here, I've picked up EU4. I went with Brandenburg at first and from then I've done quite a lot of play throughs and racked up for 250 hours in the game since mid August (played as Holland, Japan, Austria). I went for the near impossible run of Granada for a challenge and I actually managed to complete the re-reconquista which is personally one of my greatest achievements gaming wise due to the sheer difficulty of the task.

I think I'll take a break for a while but I decided I'd only do that after one last play through as France.

frontovik

Banned
If you are craving a challenge, you should attempt the Big Blue Blob achievement with France. It took me several tries, but it was ultimately rewarding.

Looks like they're finally fixing forts in EU4 1.19. Of course to balance it out they're getting rid of combat width, which is a super stupid idea.

Forts thank god finally

Combat width oh god no. Mountains and hills have been my savior with smaller armies far too often, and it severely punishes gigantic doomstacks willing to engage armies that are smaller but can cover their limited combat width

That 100 corruption bonus, can't wait to see the achievement for it.
Also holy shit grain gives extra force limit FINALLY this was needed as farmlands are meant to be be good for large armies. Seems to benefit Commonwealth, Russia, Mamluks (Ottomans), and Ethiopia the most, to no real surprise.

Purkake4

Banned
Forts thank god finally

Combat width oh god no. Mountains and hills have been my savior with smaller armies far too often, and it severely punishes gigantic doomstacks willing to engage armies that are smaller but can cover their limited combat width

That 100 corruption bonus, can't wait to see the achievement for it.
Also holy shit grain gives extra force limit FINALLY this was needed as farmlands are meant to be be good for large armies. Seems to benefit Commonwealth, Russia, Mamluks (Ottomans), and Ethiopia the most, to no real surprise.
Yeah, combat width is an integral part of the strategy, getting rid of it because "it makes combat take longer" is ridiculous. It allows smaller armies to face off against bigger ones and not get totally wrecked if you use all your advantages right.

I think corruption needs some more work, but it's nice to see things as a sliding scale with bonuses and penalties on both ends instead of just a good/bad slider.

Corruption change I do like, it's too easy to maintain super low corruption, which as a result means the effects of lower amounts of corruption can hurt even more. If was more like inflation in its benign vs harm scale, that might be better

If forts still take long to siege, you could create ridiculous chokepoints where you stack multiple forts in one main area that becomes impossible to leave. Scary idea

TeddyBoy

If you are craving a challenge, you should attempt the Big Blue Blob achievement with France. It took me several tries, but it was ultimately rewarding.

I'm sort of done with France now tbh, plus I've seen the cheese way of getting that achievement by doing no cb wars against Norway then going into Russia :p

Yeah I don't like the sound of removing combat width and changing the fort system like that. Late game is already a slog with the AI spamming level eight forts everywhere.

Kabouter

I'm sort of done with France now tbh, plus I've seen the cheese way of getting that achievement by doing no cb wars against Norway then going into Russia :p

Yeah I don't like the sound of removing combat width and changing the fort system like that. Late game is already a slog with the AI spamming level eight forts everywhere.

That's not the cheese way so much as it's pretty well the only way :p

Uzzy

Speaking of achievements, I finished an EU4 playthrough today, with the goal of getting the Burgundian Conquest achievement.

D6JQfcn.png

It proved to be a jolly fun playthrough, with some amusing complications, such as Poland getting Austria in a personal union, forcing me to take Sundgau from Poland in a war, release it back to Austria, then diplo-vassalise the Habsburg OPM. France, meanwhile, were beaten so bad that they ran off to the Americas and I ended up turning them into a protectorate. I was a bit worried that'd mess up the achievement, but it worked out alright.

The new ability for Great Powers to intervene in wars is terrifying. I ended up having to fight Prussia alone, despite being allied with Sweden and Russia, as the Ottoman would inevitably intervene and throw the balance of forces right out. The difference between a 1st/2nd class Great Power and an 8th class Great Power is pretty substantial!

Fitz

Yeah the Ottomans seem pretty nutty at the moment, every game I've done since the last patch they're always the no.1 great power by some margin unless player intervention is involved.

Morfeo

Doesnt it make sense to see the Ottomans strong though? I feel most games I have played both in EU3 and EU4, they were nowhere near getting to the strength they had at their height historically, so giving them a slightly higher chance of success should only be a good thing imo.

Uzzy

Doesnt it make sense to see the Ottomans strong though? I feel most games I have played both in EU3 and EU4, they were nowhere near getting to the strength they had at their height historically, so giving them a slightly higher chance of success should only be a good thing imo.

It makes things interesting, that's for sure. In my game, the Ottomans weren't really a Great Power, but closer to a Superpower, if not a Hyperpower. So having them intervene was a genuinely terrifying thing to behold. For example, at points during my game, I'd be attacking Prussia with my allies the Papal States. I was around 3rd rank, Prussia was 5th and the Pope was 8th. In terms of numbers, the two sides were roughly equal. But because there were two Great Powers taking on one, others could intervene. So the Ottomans intervening with their 300 force limit and massive wealth lead to some issues.

It was a lot of fun though, as I had to work out ways to counter that threat and start more limited wars that didn't run the risk of descending into world wars.

Morfeo

Yeah, sounds like it makes single player much more interesting. Might have to check out that again soon, think its been almost two years since I last tried that.

When I was playing as Poland (and later Commonwealth) I found that the idea that increases core creation cost for the enemy really helped me with the Ottomons trying to push further into Europe through my backdoor of Crimea.

LightInfa

Has anyone here been keeping tabs on the Vicky2 - HoI4 converter project? The biggest reason I'd ever want to get HoI4 is megacampaign potential (HoI3 converter was never really stable, Darkest Hour is not an ideal sandbox), but because I don't own the game I can't keep tabs on the thread.

Uzzy

Peasant Republics are coming for the new patch. Should be cool. As we all know, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

frontovik

Banned
Currently playing a campaign as England..

1) Is there ever a fundamental reason to debase currency in EU IV? I always try to keep my budget in the positive, but I wonder if the game as it stands currently is trying to make it simple to fall into debt.

2) Secondly, what's the ideal composition for an aggressive naval fleet? (majority should be galleys, and a core of heavy ships, with transports in a separate fleet?) Or how about heavy ships only if I can afford it.

3) I've been experimenting with the espionage options. I don't see any significant benefits in "Stealing Maps" .. "Slander Merchants" to reduce -10% global trade power should be more devastating. "Sabotage reputation" and "Infiltrate Administration" seems pretty useful though.

4) With regards to the HRE, if I wanted to implement all the reforms as Emperor of Austria, is it feasible to do so before the Reformation/30 Years War or after?

Fitz

The new fort system is still fucked up. Looks ok on paper, but armies are still able to ignore the rules seemingly at random. Playing Mamluks at the moment, fighting a simple war with Karaman and they're able to waltz through 7 areas all with active forts. From Turkey into Syria then through Egypt. If this was a bigger war (i.e. vs Ottomans) this would have fucked me right up.

Purkake4

Banned
The new fort system is still fucked up. Looks ok on paper, but armies are still able to ignore the rules seemingly at random. Playing Mamluks at the moment, fighting a simple war with Karaman and they're able to waltz through 7 areas all with active forts. From Turkey into Syria then through Egypt. If this was a bigger war (i.e. vs Ottomans) this would have fucked me right up.
They're making it so forts only affect the province they're in in the next patch. Or do you have the 1.19 beta?

Yeah the Ottomans seem pretty nutty at the moment, every game I've done since the last patch they're always the no.1 great power by some margin unless player intervention is involved.

Part of it is the Crimea vassalization event that was added. It gives the Ottomans a decently strong subject within the first few years of the game, that will eventually end up getting absorbed by them.
Having a big vassal like that from the get-go and also having a very easy path of expansion through the Balkan and Anatolian minors and then the notoriously weak Mamluks/QQ as well as Arabian minors makes the Ottomans a powerhouse even in AI hands.

Uzzy

Ok, just learned that it was out. Classic Paradox breaking the thing they're trying to fix.

Hopefully it'll be fixed in the final release of 1.19, it is super annoying when it happens.

EU4 forts will never be fixed.

I mean, if this is how the fort system is meant to work, it's complete trash and needs ripping out entirely.

I'm currently talking to DDRJake about this, and showed him Uzzy's screenshot. He said that due to the access through France and Lorraine, it works as intended.

2:13 DDRJake: crux of the matter there was that access through France let them go to Calais
2:14 DDRJake: If you can enter a Zone of Control you can move within it, so all of Bourgogne is up for grabs
2:15 DDRJake: Looks like he had mil access in Lorraine, so that's okay to be in
2:15 DDRJake: from there he can enter both luxemburg and Rethel's areas
2:17 DDRJake: Try it yourself, without addition MA, Austria can't even get into Rethel without sieging LUX
2:17 DDRJake: and they don't have a chance of getting North, so Burgundy is very safe in the Lowlands

(btw Uzzy was that walk through Burgundy's land there your left-shift pathing, or was it the automatic pathfinding?)

If you have any issues with the fort system, please make screenshots. If enemies can walk through your ZoC when they shouldn't, please try to make screenshots with their path. I will forward those to Jake.

2:18 DDRJake: rule-wise it's very simple. I'm not saying it's great or even better, thatIs why I want beta feedback
2:19 DDRJake: and not staged screenshots
2:25 DDRJake: That's one weakness of the new system, you can walk through a ZoC if there are no forts behind it

Also as a note, if you have any other Beta feedback, let me know. I'll keep an eye on the thread and will forward stuff to Jake.

Fitz

Here's one for you. Ottomans are able to waltz back and forth through my territory. I know it's because the offending zone is counting as friendly for the Ottomans as they have forts there and in the adjacent zones. I could understand if we were at war, as they've got land on both sides to provide "supply" or whatever, but during peace time they should not be able to walk through like this.

FWIW I of course can not enter any of their territory.

edit: Just wanted to confirm, but activating fort maintenance allows me to march through those areas as freely as the Ottomans, which is in line with the fort "rules". Military Access seems even more pointless than ever right now.

ag-my001

Is the new "Vassal Limit" game rule for CK2 busted? I thought the number looked high when I started a new game at half level (Matilda of Tuscany with a limit of 30), so I started a new game at quarter level and she still gets 30. The HRE had a limit of 43 under both conditions. I disabled my mods to see if that was the cause, but I'm not seeing any changes. Was hoping this would be a good way to prevent blobbing without resorting to more drastic measures.

Edit: found a relevant thread on the CK2 forum. Seems that the Demense rule is bugging out and affects both that and Vassal limit, with the Vassal Limit rule doing exactly nothing on its own.

Top Bottom