• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

Rapstah

Is there anything technically preventing anyone from playing pagans or Muslims in regular CKII? I would have thought the UI couldn't support parts of those nations, but you can view most of it as a third party playable nation anyway.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Is there anything technically preventing anyone from playing pagans or Muslims in regular CKII? I would have thought the UI couldn't support parts of those nations, but you can view most of it as a third party playable nation anyway.

At the moment if you convert to Islam, send your heir to be taught by a Muslim, it just plays the exact same but with some minor changes.

ZZMitch

Got a few questions for CKII playing gaffers...

I don't really understand technology (It wasn't really mentioned in the tutorial), how does it work and do I really need to worry about it? I have just been letting it go naturally.

How do marriages form alliances and which marriages form alliances? I randomly got myself into an alliance with Hungary at the beginning of the game and now I have no idea how to get another one if I wanted to. All my marriages have the little gray flags on them instead of the blue.

What is the best way to switch county vassals? At the beginning of the game when I was still getting my bearings I stupidly put a bishop in command of a city led county. I want to put a proper vassal in command. I have a plot to remove him but I can't get any backers for it (even though it has 150% power :X).

Just formed the Kingdom of Ireland, great game!

Oh and I was able to successful take control of the county of Leinster title last night by revoking my vassal's title while he was in jail. Thanks for the help!

Rapstah

Is it only in my games of CKII that William the Conqueror never actually succeeds in conquering England? If he launches his attack, which he doesn't even do half the time, every time there's some weird alliance between England and someone really powerful nearby or he just straight up fails, even with Norway attacking England too almost every time.

zoku88

Got a few questions for CKII playing gaffers...

I don't really understand technology (It wasn't really mentioned in the tutorial), how does it work and do I really need to worry about it? I have just been letting it go naturally.
It's not really something you can control. You can speed things up, though (with advisors.) It does make a difference in terms of troop strength and buildings available.

How do marriages form alliances and which marriages form alliances? I randomly got myself into an alliance with Hungary at the beginning of the game and now I have no idea how to get another one if I wanted to. All my marriages have the little gray flags on them instead of the blue.
Usually alliances come from close relations. Like being an in-law, sibling, or something like that (some of them can be strange relations.) Surefire way is to just marry your sons/daughters to sons/daughters of other rulers.

What is the best way to switch county vassals? At the beginning of the game when I was still getting my bearings I stupidly put a bishop in command of a city led county. I want to put a proper vassal in command. I have a plot to remove him but I can't get any backers for it (even though it has 150% power :X).
You could make him hate you and get him to revolt, then take away his land.

Just formed the Kingdom of Ireland, great game!

Oh and I was able to successful take control of the county of Leinster title last night by revoking my vassal's title while he was in jail. Thanks for the help!
:)
Is it only in my games of CKII that William the Conqueror never actually succeeds in conquering England? If he launches his attack, which he doesn't even do half the time, every time there's some weird alliance between England and someone really powerful nearby or he just straight up fails, even with Norway attacking England too almost every time.

It seems random for me whether he wins or not (though, I think I usually see him win.) I've never seen him not attack, though.

Almighty

He usually succeeds in my games. Only once out of at least a dozen games have I seen him fail and that it was because he was actually killed in battle during the attempt.

Clevinger

I just fought in my first crusade (never bothered with them before) in CK2 and our Pope was captured in battle by the Caliph and the war ended. Uh, is that a normal occurrence?

ZZMitch

Is there anyway to block straits in Crusader Kings 2? Ships don't seem to do it.

Also, is there anyway to take more than one county in war except by fighting holy wars/crusades?

Almighty

Also, is there anyway to take more than one county in war except by fighting holy wars/crusades?

If you have multiple claims there should be an option where you can press them all. They have to be part of the same realm. So for example if you personally have claims to three counties that are part of lets say the Kingdom of England you are able to go to war with a press all claims option.

ZZMitch

If you have multiple claims there should be an option where you can press them all. They have to be part of the same realm. So for example if you personally have claims to three counties that are part of lets say the Kingdom of England you are able to go to war with a press all claims option.

Oh interesting, ill look for that. I own all of Ireland except for 3 counties in the north and I need to take them from Scotland. I will look for that option.

edit: are you sure you can do that? When I am at the declare war screen I see two claims and cannot do both. I can only highlight one or the other.

edit2: ah, I read that it may not work for de jure claims, oh well

zoku88

New dev diary for Sword of Island expansion and the 1.06 patch.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?986-The-Sword-of-Islam-Dev-Diary-1

The strategy for CKII seems really different than it was for EUIII.

It seems like most of the changes in Sword of Islam are also in the 1.06 patch, except that the expansion allows you to play as the muslim rulers, (but the patch has the changes to the muslim sides, but the player doesn't interact with it directly.)

Rapstah

The peasants just revolted in the one area my most hated vassal (who conspires against me) has in CKII... do I have anything to lose from just letting them take her holdings? Will they move on to take the rest of my kingdom if they succeed?

zoku88

The peasants just revolted in the one area my most hated vassal (who conspires against me) has in CKII... do I have anything to lose from just letting them take her holdings? Will they move on to take the rest of my kingdom if they succeed?

It depends.

You could lose that county entirely (as in, it secedes from you to join somewhere else.)

They could murder some vassals/courtiers (if you care about any of them)

But, I don't think CKII rebels tend to move much, from what I care to remember.

ZZMitch

Done my first playthrough of Crusader Kings 2, it was fun but I only went about 100 years in this one. Ended as the King of Ireland, also owning parts of Scotland. I probably would have pushed on but I am excited to start a new game for the DLC/patch and when my latest king died my new king ended up being Dutch (I must have sent my son to a Dutch person to be educated). This kind of killed this particular playthrough for me from a roleplay standpoint and the fact I am getting a bunch of rebellions and no one likes me. I will have to be more careful where I send my heirs to be educated in the future. Gunna have to stay in areas of my own culture from now on I guess.

Almighty

New dev diary for Sword of Island expansion and the 1.06 patch.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?986-The-Sword-of-Islam-Dev-Diary-1

The strategy for CKII seems really different than it was for EUIII.

It seems like most of the changes in Sword of Islam are also in the 1.06 patch, except that the expansion allows you to play as the muslim rulers, (but the patch has the changes to the muslim sides, but the player doesn't interact with it directly.)

Cool news. I don't know if I will buy the expansion yet. Though I am leaning towards it at the moment. I dunno playing as a Muslim might be a nice change of pace or with the ruler creator creating something crazy like a Muslim King of England might be fun.

Also being able to form new empires will be cool.

Done my first playthrough of Crusader Kings 2, it was fun but I only went about 100 years in this one. Ended as the King of Ireland, also owning parts of Scotland. I probably would have pushed on but I am excited to start a new game for the DLC/patch and when my latest king died my new king ended up being Dutch (I must have sent my son to a Dutch person to be educated). This kind of killed this particular playthrough for me from a roleplay standpoint and the fact I am getting a bunch of rebellions and no one likes me. I will have to be more careful where I send my heirs to be educated in the future. Gunna have to stay in areas of my own culture from now on I guess.

It's advisable to rear your heirs personally, so as to get far greater control over their traits.

Walshicus

I'll probably buy the expansion even if I don't play as Muslims much - nice to have an easy way to support the continuing development of the game.

zoku88

Dat foreigner penalty.

I had this problem when I married my son off to the future Croatian queen, who became queen before he was even landed. His children belonged to her court, which I didn't find out until I croaked and became my son (as the King of Poland.) His first-born son ended up being Hungarian :-/

Yea, that succession was a bit messy....

Lost sooo much overseas territory.

ZZMitch

It's advisable to rear your heirs personally, so as to get far greater control over their traits.

Oh, I never even considered that. Hmm, is maybe I was actually doing that with my latest heir right before I ended this game because I kept getting events like "Your son was found killing a rat behind the shed" and "You son asks you where babies come from" etc. I just kind of sent my son off to people with the best traits before, I guess I will chance that in the future.

Dat foreigner penalty.

I had this problem when I married my son off to the future Croatian queen, who became queen before he was even landed. His children belonged to her court, which I didn't find out until I croaked and became my son (as the King of Poland.) His first-born son ended up being Hungarian :-/

Yea, that succession was a bit messy....

Lost sooo much overseas territory.

Yeah I can see how that would be a problem, I only owned about 20 territories and even then I had at 3 full revolts and Sweden declared war on me because my mother somehow became count of a territory in Scandinavia and I gained control of it.

Rapstah

How the hell would you ever get to the point where you can establish any of the de jure kingdoms they are adding for the Sword of Islam patch? I've been trying a couple of games of forming smaller kingdoms and even duchies and they start falling apart from cultural and political reasons when they're a third the size of what you would need to even form one of the new ones. You would have to go so ridiculously slowly along that I don't see how there is time.

519B04688EF368BD97E89F2927EDEB903F3B5632

Vamos Espana!

Not pictured: South American / Caribbean colonies (95% of SA, but only a few in Caribbean).

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
519B04688EF368BD97E89F2927EDEB903F3B5632

Vamos Espana!

Not pictured: South American / Caribbean colonies (95% of SA, but only a few in Caribbean).
Nice job swallowing western Europe. In my Spain game I was looking for a way to destroy France (my main ally, ironically), but they remained pretty strong throughout the entire game, and I wasn't willing to commit the number of troops that it would have required. I actually find it easier to conquer Great Britain, because they almost always get involved in some pointless overseas war and leave their homeland completely unprotected. I don't think I've ever actually seen the British isles conquered by any other foreign power in my games, so my strategy is probably unusual, but once you conquer it, it's so ridiculously unassailable.

Kabouter

Nice job swallowing western Europe. In my Spain game I was looking for a way to destroy France (my main ally, ironically), but they remained pretty strong throughout the entire game, and I wasn't willing to commit the number of troops that it would have required. I actually find it easier to conquer Great Britain, because they almost always get involved in some pointless overseas war and leave their homeland completely unprotected. I don't think I've ever actually seen the British isles conquered by any other foreign power in my games, so my strategy is probably unusual, but once you conquer it, it's so ridiculously unassailable.
In my game I got lucky by suddenly being in a personal union with France :D. Had to be constantly at war for like a century straight though to avoid France constantly insulting me and ending the union.

Mgoblue201

In my game I got lucky by suddenly being in a personal union with France :D. Had to be constantly at war for like a century straight though to avoid France constantly insulting me and ending the union.
I'm not very good at exploiting personal unions or vassals, so I just tend to annex everybody I conquer. I don't know if there is any downside to that besides the obvious infamy hit.
Any downside to vassalizing and then annexing the Papal States?
I've annexed the Papal State multiple times, and I haven't noticed any problems with it, but I can't be certain about it either.

Kabouter

I'm not very good at exploiting personal unions or vassals, so I just tend to annex everybody I conquer. I don't know if there is any downside to that besides the obvious infamy hit.
Well, there are major downsides to high infamy these days. Early on it was just that everyone hated you, but they patched in some events that are baaaad news. Personally, I mix annexation and vassalization. Most of my vassalizing this game was done diplomatically. Having a large sphere of influence + high diplomatic rating + diplomatic adivsor + being HRE = easy diplo vassalize

Mgoblue201

Do these events only occur beyond the infamy limit, or do they increase in severity with incremental changes in infamy? I try to keep my infamy below 8, and I never let it go beyond 16. Since it's usually falling at more than 2 per year, I can burn it off pretty quickly. But yeah, I probably should rely more on the diplomatic part of the game for vassalizing. I assume that strategy works well for countries that start out smaller.

Kabouter

Do these events only occur beyond the infamy limit, or do they increase in severity with incremental changes in infamy? I try to keep my infamy below 8, and I never let it go beyond 16. Since it's usually falling at more than 2 per year, I can burn it off pretty quickly. But yeah, I probably should rely more on the diplomatic part of the game for vassalizing. I assume that strategy works well for countries that start out smaller.

I think they start occurring when you get close to your infamy limit. They are specific events, and incredibly shitty ones, you'd notice them for sure. Also, two a year? Damn.

You have some really nice borders there. I don't. (Click for bigger)

Those are the kind of borders I have nightmares about.

My war-goals are based strongly around creating nice borders. I almost always support Russia's creation and expansion eastwards just to mop up the inevitable easter-border clusterfuck that occurs when Hungary/Austria/Bohemia/Lithuania colonize the hordes.

I also like to have a strong Balkan/Anatolian power to keep things looking nice, but there usually aren't any good (Christian) candidates and the poor Ottomans get inevitably stomped / relations malus from different religions means allying isn't super-practical.

Although it's not very smart purely from a game perspective, I promote the consolidation of larger countries to mop up small nations and see strong late-game powers emerge. Scandinavia (via Sweden) / Russia (via Muscovy) were my two in this game.

In this game, my first priorities were to force Aragon into a PU before it could grow too strong, and have Portugal annexed before colonization started. I achieved both of these by 1450, as Portugal broke their alliance with England (and somehow ended up at war with them).

France is very difficult to take out by force, as you note. Their army is always massive and they are very good at swarming. Annexation means many long, bloody, WE intensive conflicts. So, instead, you should wait for an opportunity to force a Personal Union on them! That way you only need to win one war with them to get them into your realm (You'll eventually inherit/ integrate, although the latter can be infamy intensive) in the long term, and gain control over their endless blue hordes in the interrum. I use France as a battering ram to achieve my other European objectives while they are the junior PU partner.

Also, two a year? Damn.

I think my record was over 3 as Papal States gone crazy. When you get big enough, you have permanent -.8 or so thanks to cardinals controlled, then with an Embassy, Diplo advisor and Cabinet NI the bonuses just pile on top of each other.

Mgoblue201

Embassy + 5-star adviser + Anti-Piracy Act + Supporting the Florentine School + Cabinet national idea + a great ruler will usually result in at least 2 infamy loss per year. Having any controlled cardinals will also help.

Kabouter

Those are the kind of borders I have nightmares about.

My war-goals are based strongly around creating nice borders. I almost always support Russia's creation and expansion eastwards just to mop up the inevitable easter-border clusterfuck that occurs when Hungary/Austria/Bohemia/Lithuania colonize the hordes.

I also like to have a strong Balkan/Anatolian power to keep things looking nice, but there usually aren't any good (Christian) candidates and the poor Ottomans get inevitably stomped / relations malus from different religions means allying isn't super-practical.

Although it's not very smart purely from a game perspective, I promote the consolidation of larger countries to mop up small nations and see strong late-game powers emerge. Scandinavia (via Sweden) / Russia (via Muscovy) were my two in this game.
Yeah, I just take what I can get without serious consequences basically. All I really watch out for is my infamy, because I don't want the negative impact on trade.

I think my record was over 3 as Papal States gone crazy. When you get big enough, you have permanent -.8 or so thanks to cardinals controlled, then with an Embassy, Diplo advisor and Cabinet NI the bonuses just pile on top of each other.
Yeah, I never stay Catholic, have had the other bonuses of course though.

ZZMitch

Yeah, I never stay Catholic, have had the other bonuses of course though.

Does switching religions provide some benefit? I always stick with the majority religion to make for less conversions. This alway turns out to be Catholicism if I am in Europe. I seem to always be against the reformation.

Kabouter

Does switching religions provide some benefit? I always stick with the majority religion to make for less conversions. This alway turns out to be Catholicism if I am in Europe. I seem to always be against the reformation.

Depends on the type of nation you're playing. I generally find Reformed is best for smallish trading states, Protestantism best for larger Eurocentric nations and Catholicism best for large colonial empires.

ZZMitch

Depends on the type of nation you're playing. I generally find Reformed is best for smallish trading states, Protestantism best for larger Eurocentric nations and Catholicism best for large colonial empires.

Ooh, I just looked up religions on the EU3 wiki. I did not know they effected things like trade and production.

zoku88

I have a hard time recommending Sengoku.

When I played it, it just left me wanting more (which was CKII.) And CKII seems to get to that price sometimes. (actually, I think it just left that price on Amazon.)

ZZMitch

Gah, I am waiting for Death & Taxes 6.0 to come out before starting a new game of EU3... only a week or so away according to the modder!

Dascu

What happens when I vassalize the leading country in a Personal Union? Is it disrupted?

Edit: Seems so.

Top Bottom