• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PARAMORE |OT| Line up changes, emo angst, and guilty pleasures (oh, and Hayley gifs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

pfft I didn't come here to read your silly op, I came for the gifs and pics.
lDY41mG.gif

I already listened to BNE. I really liked the acoustic versions they did of a few tracks.
I keep banging on about it in here, but just on the off chance you missed it in the OP, (cos you know, who looks at the OP right?) you should really listen to this acoustic version of The Only Exception, it's fantastic. Maybe the best example of how sweetly she can sing when not screaming her lungs out! It might not be your favourite track, but it's still worth a watch. The little whispered clap at the end is really cute too.

The Only Exception (NRK)

NinjaBoiX

If half the band has left, why list them as members? Seems kind of weird.
I dunno, the Farro's were so instrumental in the band's creation, it felt appropriate to include them. To be fair, it's probably more their band than Hayley's; her a Jeremy joined them, not the other way around.

Of course, she then assumed most of the writing duties, and it sort of became the Hayley Williams Band.

oneils

I dunno, the Farro's were so instrumental in the band's creation, it felt appropriate to include them. To be fair, it's probably more their band than Hayley's; her a Jeremy joined them, not the other way around.

Of course, she then assumed most of the writing duties, and it sort of became the Hayley Williams Band.

From what I read, the label signed Hayley to a contract and all of the musicians were basically hired hands. Apparently, in the beginning at least (don't know about now), the "band" was never signed to their label. Only Hayley was. I don't know if I'll ever be able to find my source. I think it was a blog post from a former band member.

edit: it was in the Farro brothers' exit statement: http://joshnfarro.blogspot.ca/2010/12/josh-and-zacs-exit-statement.html

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
For a while I was somewhat interested in them, but any interest was killed upon learning that Hayley is (at least allegedly) a home-wrecking slut.

Maybe I'll give them another shot.

whenitrains

Neo Member
Owww yeah a thread dedicated to Paramore. I can't wait for their new album since I literally listen to brand new eyes everyday since it was first released.

cj_iwakura

From what I read, the label signed Hayley to a contract and all of the musicians were basically hired hands. Apparently, in the beginning at least (don't know about now), the "band" was never signed to their label. Only Hayley was. I don't know if I'll ever be able to find my source. I think it was a blog post from a former band member.

edit: it was in the Farro brothers' exit statement: http://joshnfarro.blogspot.ca/2010/12/josh-and-zacs-exit-statement.html

That's painful if true.

She has nice tits
Yes she does. The new radio song Now I'm not really partial to it. It doesn't sound like them. I can tell they are a 3 person band with this song :/
My fav. Paramore songs are...

My Heart
For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic
That's What You Get
Feeling Sorry
Where The Lines Overlap
All I Wanted Was You

Damn Brand New Eyes has like the best songs by far.

Jezabel

My girlfriend looooves paramore so every time they have been to Australia I've seen them. Hayley really is a top notch performer, for such a small chick she has a dominating stage presence.

I really like the new song, the girlfriend is not so keen on it. Can't wait for the new album though!

NinjaBoiX

From what I read, the label signed Hayley to a contract and all of the musicians were basically hired hands, it was in the Farro brothers' exit statement: http://joshnfarro.blogspot.ca/2010/12/josh-and-zacs-exit-statement.html
Yeah, the history of the band is kind of scrappy, and not particularly fair; the contractual agreement was appalling. But, and this is not to undersell the Farro's input, Hayley is clearly the big talent of the band. She's also an appealing visual component that the boys will lust over, and the girls will admire. She's a record exec's wet dream, it's no wonder her voice was heard the loudest.

But I am glad she stood firm on the slightly darker, edgier lyrics, it's one of the things that elevates them above some other tween punk bands. A lot of the stuff on AWKIF and Riot is quite saccharine, lyrically speaking, BNE was a step up in that respect.

But songwriting aside, I don't think you can lay all the blame with Hayley for the contract debacle, they're big boys, they should've fought for something better. In the words of Kanye: "There ain't no tuition for havin' no ambition".

Anyway, they all seem to be pals again, so it's cool. These are from Josh's wedding:

That's his new wife Jenna on the left.
For a while I was somewhat interested in them, but any interest was killed upon learning that Hayley is (at least allegedly) a home-wrecking slut.
I don't care about any of that, it's puerile, celeb trash mag fodder as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, once again, he's a grown man making his own decisions, why is it all Hayley's fault? I can't imagine he had a gun to his head. These things are usually a two way street, I guess she was just irresistible to him. Shocker!
Owww yeah a thread dedicated to Paramore. I can't wait for their new album since I literally listen to brand new eyes everyday since it was first released.
Cool, glad you like the thread man. Nice handle too! Although that's one of my least favourite tracks, it's just kind of limp.
My fav. Paramore songs are...

My Heart
For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic
That's What You Get
Feeling Sorry
Where The Lines Overlap
All I Wanted Was You
I gotta go with:

All We Know
Pressure
Whoa
Hallelujah
Let The Flames Begin
Fences
Careful
Ignorance
Brick By Boring Brick

(Man, it's hard picking just three from each album. That list could've been twice as long, easily!)
My girlfriend looooves paramore so every time they have been to Australia I've seen them. Hayley really is a top notch performer, for such a small chick she has a dominating stage presence.
Indeed.

Mangotron

Anyway, they all seem to be pals again, so it's cool. These are from Josh's wedding:

Just to clear this up a bit, his wedding was actually the April before he and Zac left.

This clarifies the remaining members opinions a bit, but Josh basically felt demonized by the lyrical content of BNE and also apparently objected spiritually to some of the lyrics.

NinjaBoiX

Just to clear this up a bit, his wedding was actually the April before he and Zac left.

This clarifies the remaining members opinions a bit, but Josh basically felt demonized by the lyrical content of BNE and also apparently objected spiritually to some of the lyrics.
Oh right, thanks man. Yeah, it's pretty clear Ignorance was about Josh:

"This is the best thing that could've happened,
Any longer and I wouldn't have made it,
It's not a war no, it's not a rapture,
I'm just a person but you can't take it,
The same tricks that, that once fooled me,
They won't get you anywhere,
I'm not the same kid from your memory,
Well now I can fend for myself,"

jono95

Don't know how I feel about the new song. I like Now a lot better.
It's really, really poppy. I know paramore is poppy, but still. At least this song does super poppy better than Hello Cold World did. lol.

p.s. I've hugged hayley williams.
p.p.s nice ot

NinjaBoiX

I just found a YT link to the BBC Radio 1 interview they did a few weeks back. It's fairly entertaining if you can endure Nick Grimshaw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajxc4u6DDyE

tumblr_mh0ploaRAE1ql0s37o1_1280.jpg

The Hulk was there too. Too much awesome for one photo.

Also, this fantastic drum cover for "Now" by johnkew on YT. He's an amazing drummer, he goes nuts with the fills on the bridge before the last chorus! You should check out his cover of Tool - The Grudge too, it's truly epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbszhIRWiew

NinjaBoiX

Still Into You doesn't really sound that much more pop than too much of their other stuff to me.
Nah, it's super poppy. It not awful, it just sounds like a pop princess record, Taylor Swift or something. Where's the riffs? Where's the energetic drumming? I just hope it's not indicative of the sound they're heading for.

I'm good with some more Now style stuff, and I guess if they want to put a few flat out pop tracks on there, why not. But I need my emo punk fix guys!

I await 9th April with bated breath.

Mistle

This is the first song since BNE that I've actually really enjoyed! Lyrics are cheesy as hell... but the song is so incredibly catchy.

NinjaBoiX

OK, so I have been humming "Still Into You" most of the night, godammit if it isn't catchy. I dunno, it's a decent pop record, but they've just never sounded quite so bubblegum, it's just a little jarring. I guess I can enjoy it for what it is, but I'm pretty sure it'll be getting skipped fairly often.

I'd never heard "In The Mourning" before, it's a nice little country tune. The lyrics are quite evocative, and it's a fairly mature sound for them. It contrasts well with the bouncy pop of Still Into You and the more punky Now. It's shaping up to be an eclectic collection, I'm really intrigued to hear the rest of it.

Here is a live version from 2011. (The 15 year old girls crying in the front row represent everything that makes me cringe about this band. I like most of their music, and Hayley is cool/hot as fuck, but goddamn, they have the craziest fans!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYVpArcH47Y

There are much more recent performances, but it's all crappy phone camera footage.

NinjaBoiX

Awh, i'm sorry Hayley. I'll listen to some songs when I wake up in six hours or so, since the only Paramore song i've heard is Misery Business.
Don't just say that if you don't mean it Sean, you can't keep letting me down like this.

If you actually do want to check some out, I'd recommend:

Careful
Pressure
For A Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic
Fences
All We Know
Brick By Boring Brick
Let The Flames Begin

The new single "Now" is decent too.

Sai-kun

Banned
Here for this thread for sure!

You should add the Singles Club and other random songs they've made in the interim between albums to the OP as well! Renegade has to be one of my favorite songs of theirs :D

Now took a little while to grow on me, but I am totally a fan of it...now. I loved Still Into You from the moment I heard it, it's fantastic. So yep, I'm hyped for the new album.

Mangotron

So far I'm liking:

Ain't It Fun
Part II
Still Into You
Proof (especially this)
Be Alone

I just hope that the final product isn't too light-rock/indie, the sheer energy of their discography is what keeps me coming back.

NinjaBoiX

"Paramore" album preview part 1
1. Last hope [0:00 - 1:29]
2. Daydreaming [1:30 - 2:59]
3. Part II [3:00 - 4:29]
4. Fast in my car [4:30 - 6:00]
5. Future [6:01 - 7:31]
6. Ain't it fun [7:32 - 9:04]

Meh, "Last Hope" was OK, but where are the riffs? It's just flat out pop music now.

"Paramore" album preview part 2
1. I'm not angry anymore (Interlude) [0:00 - 0:28]
2. Moving on (Interlude) [0:29 - 0:59]
3. Holiday (Interlude) [1:00 - 1:30]
4. Be alone [1:31- 3:02]
5. I hate to see your heart break [3:03 - 4:32]
6. (One of those) crazy girls [4:33 - 6:03]
7. Anklebiters [6:04 - 6:34]
8. Grow up [6:35 - 8:04]
9. Proof [8:05 - 9:37]

This was a bit more promising. The interludes were pretty decent, and Anklebiters and Proof sounded a bit more like Paramore.

But still, I really feel like they're missing the Farro's. Where are the tight snappy rhythms and chunky riffs? It's all sounding more and more saccharine. You can tell she's all loved up and stuff, there is none of the snarling angst and minor chord melodies. It's all major key, electro production, pop music.

I guess it's a change of direction, and I'll give the album a listen, but I'm not all that hopeful. I actually really like "Now", but I'm not convinced at all on this stuff.

We'll see.

NinjaBoiX

album's amazing. best they've done.
How many of the tracks from the two previews are actually on the record? I like the first two singles, but some of the stuff from those previews is just lame pop music to me. "Fast in My Car" is particularly bad.

jono95

How many of the tracks from the two previews are actually on the record? I like the first two singles, but some of the stuff from those previews is just lame pop music to me. "Fast in My Car" is particularly bad.

huh? they all are. 17 tracks, three of which are interludes.
this album has some of the heaviest stuff they've done so don't be *too* worried about it being over poppy.
Fast In My Car is awesome and I HATED the preview of it. Give it a try, the previews don't do them justice :)

NinjaBoiX

huh? they all are. 17 tracks, three of which are interludes.
this album has some of the heaviest stuff they've done so don't be *too* worried about it being over poppy.
Fast In My Car is awesome and I HATED the preview of it. Give it a try, the previews don't do them justice :)
17 tracks?

hV3i4Q4.gif

I'm definitely buying it, I'm just not as excited now as I expected I would be. I find their gentler poppy stuff to be the weakest, and a lot of what I've heard seems to be heading that way. I prefer there punkier, darker stuff, so I hope they strike a good balance.

jono95

17 tracks?

I'm definitely buying it, I'm just not as excited now as I expected I would be. I find their gentler poppy stuff to be the weakest, and a lot of what I've heard seems to be heading that way. I prefer there punkier, darker stuff, so I hope they strike a good balance.

Yeah I know it's a bit much, but after ~4 years of no album I'm okay with it :p

I wasn't that excited either to be honest, but it pleasantly surprised me.
And they do strike a good balance imo.

NinjaBoiX

They've just got better and better for me:

BNE > Riot! > AWKIF

I just hope they won't let me down with this new record. I guess I'll find out on Thursday!

I fell in love with Paramore in 2005. I was browsing Fueled By Ramen's site to check out for some Fall Out Boy news when I saw a Paramore banner with Hayley and the guys on it. Oh man Hayley...She was the girl of my dreams. It took me a while before I even listened to any of their songs, I was just adoring that cute punky girl.

All We Know is Falling just clicked. An insane record, one of my top 3 albums from the past decade (the 2000s). By this day I've listened the whole album hundreds of times and it's still as fresh and good as it was back then. RIOT! was superb also and like it's predecessor it did not have a single weak song in it. But then came brand new eyes... I listened it about 4 or 5 times in a row when it was released but all I could think was "this is fucking garbage". To me it sounds annoyingly childish or something. I sometimes try forcing myself to like it but no, it just sucks. Though a couple of songs really grew on me like The Only Exception, All I Wanted and Playing God.

I've heard two songs from the coming album and now I kinda wish I could un-hear them. Terrible, just terrible.

NinjaBoiX

I fell in love with Paramore in 2005. I was browsing Fueled By Ramen's site to check out for some Fall Out Boy news when I saw a Paramore banner with Hayley and the guys on it. Oh man Hayley...She was the girl of my dreams. It took me a while before I even listened to any of their songs, I was just adoring that cute punky girl.

All We Know is Falling just clicked. An insane record, one of my top 3 albums from the past decade (the 2000s). By this day I've listened the whole album hundreds of times and it's still as fresh and good as it was back then. RIOT! was superb also and like it's predecessor it did not have a single weak song in it. But then came brand new eyes... I listened it about 4 or 5 times in a row when it was released but all I could think was "this is fucking garbage". To me it sounds annoyingly childish or something. I sometimes try forcing myself to like it but no, it just sucks. Though a couple of songs really grew on me like The Only Exception, All I Wanted and Playing God.

I've heard two songs from the coming album and now I kinda wish I could un-hear them. Terrible, just terrible.
See this is the exact opposite for me. I heard Riot first and really enjoyed it. Super polished pop, but with just enough spiky punk to appeal. Then I heard BNE and loved it even more. It's their darkest record, with a lot of discordant riffs and minor key melodies.

Then I picked up AWK and found it quite immature and insubstantial. The lyrics were quite twee, and the production lacked punch and a certain edge. It's still got some good tracks on it, but I find BNE and to a certain extent Riot to be much more full bodied and "sophisticated" for want of a better word.

But yeah, by the sounds of this new stuff, hmmm. I'll give it a try, but I'm not convinced in the least so far, despite really liking "Now". I'm all for changes of direction, but they sound like electro pop or something now, not my bag really. I really think the Farro's left a musical hole in the band.

jono95

Then I picked up AWK and found it quite immature and insubstantial. The lyrics were quite twee, and the production lacked punch and a certain edge. It's still got some good tracks on it, but I find BNE and to a certain extent Riot to be much more full bodied and "sophisticated" for want of a better word. .

You see, I listened to awkif all the time back in 2006. It's my favourite record out of their first 3 because of all the memories etc, but bne is without doubt their best record objectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom