• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper - Is the timing in this game broken?

Komo

Banned
Holy crap, GAF

I've been trying to beat the first level for like ... 30 minutes now. I can't get past it. I actually can't. I've tried being as precise as possible, I've tried going along with the rhythm of the song but I seriously just can't nail it. I'm seriously wondering if the timing in this game is broken, because it's either insanely precise with absolutely no leniency, or it just doesn't work properly at all

For reference, I'm playing the PSP port on a PSP 2000. I'm kind of leaning towards just finishing the game on 'Easy' mode, where the timing actually seems to work, but I feel that my playthrough will be kind of 'illegitimate' that way

I once managed to get to the last level, but replaying it again, I can't even get past the first level. What's the catch?

entremet

At first I was assuming this would be on an HDTV or something, which tend to have input lag for retro games.

But I also remember the PSP version was made harder.

I'm not sure if this is the same for the PSP but my understanding is that the game has very tight timing and the input lag on modern LCDs makes it much harder to properly time than a CRT.

The last time I tried playing it it was an original disc on a PS2 hooked up to a CRT TV a couple years ago. I couldn't get through the first level either. I felt like I was nailing that shit, but the game said otherwise.

ant1532

Banned
the first time i played it I was stuck for days. i couldnt get the timing. i eventually figured it some days later.

i was 6 years old though

Absolutely do not go by the visual timing on the screen. You have to time your button presses to the music. They made the visuals a lot more accurate on Parappa 2.

It's really hard, but keep trying and you'll get it eventually, somehow like magic.

Doing "cool" actions will also help. Instead of a simple "kick", try doing "kick kick kikick kikick kick" to the beat or something. And, instead of "kick, punch", you can do "kick punch kipunch kipunch kick punch"... if that makes sense, lol.

It's just hard. I'm pretty good at rhythm games and I could never beat the PSP port of Parappa.

I got to the point where I could easily enter the special freestyle mode for all the other levels, but could never beat the final song.

Um Jammer Lammy was hard too.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This has nothing to do with the OP but I just saw this on tumblr and thought it was amazing.

tumblr_nix9u9dlvI1s489rno1_1280.jpg

Zodzilla

I own this on PSP and played it on a 2000. The timing is indeed broken.

I also 100%'d Rhythm Tengoku on my DS Lite via the GBA slot, so I'm fairly confident that my rhythmic timing is okay enough to come to that conclusion.

Neff

It's not just you. The PSP version is a semi-broken, random nightmare. The timing in order of strictness, strictest first:

Parappa the Rapper (PSP)
Umjammer Lammy
Parappa the Rapper (PSone)
Parappa the Rapper 2

Whogie

PSP version was stupidly picky.
It seemed to help to time the notes to the tip of Parappa's hat IIRC.

Robot Pants

I had this same problem. I was playing on a rom though (am I banned?). I think if you are playing a rom or on a TV with any sort of lag, you're fucked.

The PSP port is pretty ass... Then again, all emulated versions of the game are ass too and I'm not totally convinced the PSP port wasn't also simply emulated with some additions tossed in. Same way Final Fantasy Tactics on PSP was... but that game didn't depend on game logic having tight timings.

Komo

Banned
Finished the first stage after a few more tries, and breezed through all the stages up to five without failing any of them, and now I can't beat five ... I'm so confused.

So, the general consensus is that the PSP port's timing is more 'off' compared to the others? Lame

Top Bottom