• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper Remastered |OT| The Notorious D.O.G.

Gamespawn

No lie, this was the first game that made me want a PSX. I was cool with a N64 because of 1080 and Shadows but then I opened that EGM and here I am today.

robotrock

Banned
thread title is great

would have also accepted either of these lines

t3y1pcg.jpg

omgomgomg

CLEEK

PaRappa should have been pre-installed on every Playstation console since the PS1, to act as a tutorial for new PS players to learn the controller layout.

After clocking this game, it's impossible to not have a perfect muscle memory of which button is which.

Camjo-Z

Added a bunch of reviews that just dropped. Seems to be a general 6/10 consensus, which is pretty fair for a $15 20th anniversary remaster that's had little work put into anything but the graphics. Surely it couldn't have been that hard to stick a concept art gallery in there at least.

But hey, they put the uncensored frosty line back in!

Added a bunch of reviews that just dropped. Seems to be a general 6/10 consensus, which is pretty fair for a $15 20th anniversary remaster that's had little work put into anything but the graphics. Surely it couldn't have been that hard to stick a concept art gallery in there at least.

Yeah...it sounds like the horrible input delay from the demo is still there. That'll be a hard pass for me. It's a shame they didn't put in a minimum of work to make it mechanically solid.

hawk2025

Oh wow this looks SO sharp during gameplay.

I'm impressed.

Input lag feels weird, but I've played this so much that I can adapt since the timing is always the same.

Camjo-Z

Yeah...it sounds like the horrible input delay from the demo is still there. That'll be a hard pass for me. It's a shame they didn't put in a minimum of work to make it mechanically solid.

I'm not sure it's input lag per se, there are just some strange issues with the game's timing that for whatever reason they didn't bother to fix. I've been playing this game for years and I still couldn't finish Stage 4 without a few perfectly performed lines bringing me down a rank for no reason.

Honestly the little quirks of PaRappa are the biggest reason I wish they'd just make a new game already, it continually gets harder to convince people it's an amazing series when the mechanical flaws of each title get more and more obvious with each port and rerelease.

Bog

Junior Ace
Missed the 20% that for some reason ended at midnight and not noon the next day. Now I wait for a sale.

KalBalboa

Banned
Turned on the rumble feedback before starting it up. Timing feels right.

Man, does this game look clean. The IQ in 4K is something else. As to be expected, of course.

Charming as ever.

As much as I love the game, I am incredibly disappointed by the input lag and the accuracy of the grading to your performance. I was really hoping that would be fixed. :(

As much as I love the game, I am incredibly disappointed by the lag input and the accuracy of the grading to your performance. I was really hoping that would be fixed. :(

It took me forever to get past Cheep Cheep. I can't get words to link properly at all, and I have experience with the series. The only way I could get passing grades on verses was hitting everything late intentionally,and ended up just trying to freestyle instead.

Edit: And then I do bathroom in one. It's weird... Cheep Cheep was the only stage I got a bad in so far, but I failed her for 30 minutes straight...

I downloaded the demo, but it's locked for some reason. When I try to start, I just get a message saying "Cannot use the content. Cannot connect to the server to verify the license."

Has anyone had this issue?

Yep. This brings back tons of memories of failing Cheap Cheap for no damn reason. They really couldn't have fixed this here?

BeeDog

If I buy this, would my money finance Dred Foxx in any way? Seeing what a psychotic shitstain of a human being he is, I would feel awkward if any of the Remaster money ends up in his hands.

Sad to hear they didnt fix the delay issues with this game.

Why even remaster it then?

It's a little disappointing, to be honest. People shrugged off concerns about the cutscenes being untouched in the demo but, lo and behold, the final product comes around and nada.

Fisty

So how tough is it to get Cool rating on all songs? Might grab this down the line, was hoping for a pretty easy platinum

Jesus. The only way I can get past the early parts of Cheap Cheap is to hit the buttons almost a half beat too early. Which lines up with what I remember. I really do not miss this or the bathroom stage.

I didn't even know there was a Parappa 2 until if got it's PS4 re-release last year.

Either it didn't get a UK release, or it just completely passed me by when it originally released.

It definitely got a PS2 release. I remember seeing it in ASDA years ago.

I still don't really know how you actually play the game though. I played through UmJammer Lammy a few years back, and I could never figure out how to freestyle. Do you need to freestyle in rhythm, do you need to freestyle in time with the white dots, or so you just mash?

OVDRobo

Wait... they didn't fix the lag?

Like, the one reason you might remaster a game like Parappa in 2017 is something they didn't fix?

What's the point of this, then? I understand that I'm a huge outlier by still having access to the PS1 version of Parappa, but the game's borderline mechanically unplayable at this point. They could have used PS1 resolution graphics if they'd fixed the gameplay and I might've still bought it, but if it's still straight-busted, what's the point?

Does this have new content? Because if not, I can't think of a more pointless HD remaster. Visuals are inconsequential in a rhythm game; moreso in Parappa the Rapper, where they haven't aged at all due to the art style.

Gaminar

Banned
Lol, when the person who got swindled $50 also made the OT. You my man are amazing. Everyone should donate Camjo $50 for humility.

Well i didn't expect to beat the game so quick. Took me ages as a kid. Oh well.
I guess i'll get COOLs and get the hidden song.

Solobbos

Just platinumed it. Don't know if the remixed songs were already in the PSP version, but I enjoyed them. As far as remasters go, the input lag was something fierce in the Cheap Cheap stage, but besides that I got every level completed on my first try. Still love PaRappa and bought it both physically & digitally to support the IP to hopefully get UmJammer Remastered, UmJammer Lammy 2 or PaRappa 3.

Just platinumed it. Don't know if the remixed songs were already in the PSP version, but I enjoyed them. As far as remasters go, the input lag was something fierce in the Cheap Cheap stage, but besides that I got every level completed on my first try. Still love PaRappa and bought it both physically & digitally to support the IP to hopefully get UmJammer Remastered, UmJammer Lammy 2 or PaRappa 3.

Cheap cheap level was the only level i had to retry.

So how do i get that "secrets in every stage" trophy? i dont get it.

Top Bottom