• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper Remastered |OT| The Notorious D.O.G.

It took me forever to get past Cheep Cheep. I can't get words to link properly at all, and I have experience with the series. The only way I could get passing grades on verses was hitting everything late intentionally,and ended up just trying to freestyle instead.

Edit: And then I do bathroom in one. It's weird... Cheep Cheep was the only stage I got a bad in so far, but I failed her for 30 minutes straight...

Yep. Cheep Cheep is where I am getting wrecked.

Camjo-Z

It's a little disappointing, to be honest. People shrugged off concerns about the cutscenes being untouched in the demo but, lo and behold, the final product comes around and nada.

The cutscenes were never going to be remastered, they'd have to be completely remodeled and re-animated since they're prerendered and not in-engine like the gameplay. With that kind of work it'd practically be a remake.

if these two get together and don't start talking about parappa 3 SOMEONE'S GETTING NOODLIZED!!

edit: oh god damn it there's a free dynamic theme giveaway on that interview page

pls dont be the theme i spent an extra $17 preordering the european version to get

Camjo-Z

What? Where?

I guess they took it down temporarily, it used to say at the top "read the full article to get a free PaRappa dynamic theme while supplies last!" but when I scrolled to it the box said "the theme giveaway has not started yet".

yyr

Are people having trouble with the cheep cheep level because of input lag or because it's hard? I didn't have a problem with it on the ps1

It's because they're not going for

"crack crack crack the bowl into the egg"

and

"M-I-X the bowl into the flour"

Honestly though I think this "remaster" is a bit cheap. Seeing that they did pretty much nothing with the opening cinematic set the stage perfectly. I honestly expected them to improve both the cinematics and the stage graphics beyond higher resolution. They even could have modernized the way the game reads timing (and kept the old way in as an option).

To call this a remaster is, in my eyes, not very accurate. This game deserves better!

edit: to those asking, the timing on the original game is a bit strange. If you just press the exact buttons the game asks for at the exact perfect times, you will frequently get "bad" ratings. You get rated better for being slightly off. You routinely get rated even better for adding extra button presses, mixing up which buttons go where, and other "freestyling." This is all true, even playing on the original PS1 with a CRT TV.

Zutrax

Crap, are all the concerns over input lag something that is caused on a per TV basis, or is there just genuine input lag baked into the title itself for some odd reason?

I'm worried because a game like this will live and die based on the accuracy of inputs. I adore PaRappa, and I pre-ordered this to support the franchise, but I'm gonna be bummed if I'm constantly failing due to something like this.

Crap, are all the concerns over input lag something that is caused on a per TV basis, or is there just genuine input lag baked into the title itself for some odd reason?

I'm worried because a game like this will live and die based on the accuracy of inputs. I adore PaRappa, and I pre-ordered this to support the franchise, but I'm gonna be bummed if I'm constantly failing due to something like this.

I'm playing on a high-end PC monitor, so It's not me. It's baked into the game like the original, unfortunately.

Ducktail

thread title is great

would have also accepted either of these lines

t3y1pcg.jpg

There we go. I came here for this.

Unkle

I mean, what's up with 'Cool' rating? Didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason back in '97 and it still doesn't seem to. I've even watched YouTube videos and tried to mimic but to no avail. :/

Surely the aim is to hit the button once PaRappa's face is over it -- what's the deal with the stars? Anything else to be aware of in achieving the best rating?

CazTGG

Question: Is Dred "I Threatened To Beat Up A Fan Over $100" Foxx involved/receiving royalties for his work in this? I remember covering the debacle on Screwattack a couple of years back and being utterly disgusted as every new bit of information came out.

yyr

The grading seems off on Cheap Cheap, too. I have been dead accurate and my grade still drops. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Surely the aim is to hit the button once PaRappa's face is over it -- what's the deal with the stars? Anything else to be aware of in achieving the best rating?

edit: to those asking, the timing on the original game is a bit strange. If you just press the exact buttons the game asks for at the exact perfect times, you will frequently get "bad" ratings. You get rated better for being slightly off. You routinely get rated even better for adding extra button presses, mixing up which buttons go where, and other "freestyling." This is all true, even playing on the original PS1 with a CRT TV.

Quoting myself because a bunch of folks are asking this question right below my post =p

I doubt Mr Foxx receives anything from this re-release at all; I doubt very much he has anything in the way of royalties.

Based on what?

Obviously it depends on the terms of the original deal (of which neither you nor I know the details) but I would say it's far more likely that an artist gets paid when their work is re-used for another product. It could go either way, really, but just assuming he'd get nothing seems weird.

samred

Quoting myself because a bunch of folks are asking this question right below my post =p

I think other reviews misremembered the original, BUT, the added non-CRT lag doesn't help one bit. And while this remaster includes a giant instruction manual and a training mode, neither explain this timing quirk. (The manual does talk about freestyling a lot, at least.)

Imprecise input is a lot harder to forgive as a "retro" design concept than, say, brutally hard checkpoints or tough platforming jumps. I dunno about this one. The audio is fucking crisp, at least.

Question: Is Dred "I Threatened To Beat Up A Fan Over $100" Foxx involved/receiving royalties for his work in this? I remember covering the debacle on Screwattack a couple of years back and being utterly disgusted as every new bit of information came out.

Voice actors don't get royalties for video games. They get paid for the session they did and that's it.

Camjo-Z

Welp, that dynamic theme is now up on the US PSN for a mere $2. I'll just consider that pre-order... a donation to the PaRappa Revival Fund...

Also the soundtrack is up for $12. That's a bit ridiculous when the game itself is just $3 more.

Voice actors don't get royalties for video games. They get paid for the session they did and that's it.

Yep.

Is this worth picking up for someone who's never played it or is it more of a nostalgia thing?

It's totally a nostalgia thing, but even if you've never played it I'd still recommend it. Maybe wait for a sale if $15 for an hour or two of gameplay doesn't seem like a great value proposition to you.

yyr

I think other reviews misremembered the original, BUT, the added non-CRT lag doesn't help one bit.

FWIW, when I played the demo (I don't actually own the remaster), it felt exactly the same as the old version to me. I played with my PS4 connected to my good old 40" Sony Bravia 768p LCD. This TV is > 10 years old now and has never shown any noticeable lag on any video game, except when using composite video (and who does that?). So I wonder about your setup.

I just moved into a new apartment and want to upgrade my TV, but I'm actually scared to do so because after checking rtings, it looks like all the 2016 TVs would have worse lag and/or viewing angle than what I have now. I'm waiting for the new 2017 models, at least.

kramer

I bought this - but haven't played it before, so the timing isn't something I can compare.

Timing issue - there's something in the options that might help - you can choose if the timing is feel or see the beat.

Might help.

Carnby

To those who are having problems with "input" lag, just press the buttons when it sounds like you should instead of going by the scrolling heads. Once I did that, I beat the last three stages without losing.

I bought this - but haven't played it before, so the timing isn't something I can compare.

Timing issue - there's something in the options that might help - you can choose if the timing is feel or see the beat.

Might help.

Well this explains it.

Okada

To those who are having problems with "input" lag, just press the buttons when it sounds like you should instead of going by the scrolling heads. Once I did that, I beat the last three stages without losing.

Well this explains it.

Worked for me, thanks!

soultron

Banned
I mean, what's up with 'Cool' rating? Didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason back in '97 and it still doesn't seem to. I've even watched YouTube videos and tried to mimic but to no avail. :/

Have you beat the stage you're trying to get a COOL rating on yet?

also: made a gif from this Finding Parappa video that SCEE made.
wj6vzz.gif

I'm at Cheap Cheap and the timing makes no sense to me

Having better luck just hitting random bullshit than trying to follow the inputs

"see the beat" barely does anything either to help. I know you aren't supposed to follow the cursor (lol) but I don't get it

I'm faring better by sort of tapping my finger along to the beat to find the notes but it still feels weird, like the window is insanely small or something

Could never even finish the jampack demo back in the day so uh....it's progress? Haha

Yeah, PaRappa's lyrical response time is off on Cheap Cheap. You can press everything on-time all you want, but the majority of the song you won't pass. For some reason, PaRappa struggles to say his words to the beat, which then the game punishes you for some ridiculous reason. With that and the input lag, Cheap Cheap is a fucking mess. Otherwise, this game is goddamn incredible.

Yeah, PaRappa's lyrical response time is off on Cheap Cheap. You can press everything on-time all you want, but the majority of the song you won't pass. For some reason, PaRappa struggles to say his words to the beat, which then the game punishes you for some ridiculous reason. With that and the input lag, Cheap Cheap is a fucking mess. Otherwise, this game is goddamn incredible.

Strategy: Do I have a 50% chance of not dropping a rank in this line?
Yes? Go for it, dawg.
No? Freestyle.

The last phase of that song was brutal.

The cutscenes were never going to be remastered, they'd have to be completely remodeled and re-animated since they're prerendered and not in-engine like the gameplay. With that kind of work it'd practically be a remake.

I could be wrong, but PaRappa wasn't a big budget game to begin with. I didn't expect them to pull out all the stops, but redoing the cutscenes never felt like it was unreasonable, or off the table for that matter.

Top Bottom