• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parkinson’s patient wins lawsuit over treatment that turned him into a gay sex addict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parkinson’s patient wins lawsuit over treatment that turned him into a gay sex addict

original.jpg

A French man under treatment for Parkinson's disease has been awarded 197,000 euros ($256,927) in damages after claiming that the drug Requip turned him into a gay sex and gambling addict. The drug, which is developed by British pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline, is extremely effective at curbing the symptoms of Parkinson's — but as the Didier Jambart case suggests, users of the drug need to be on high alert for its potentially severe psychological side-effects.

Parkinson's disease, a degenerative neurological disorder characterized by shaking, stiffness, stilted speech, and balance deficiencies, destroys neurons that release dopamine — a critical neurotransmitter responsible for reward-driven learning. Basically, it's what makes us feel good when we accomplish certain tasks.

Requip, what's also known as Ropinirole, works as a dopamine agonist, what reinvigorates the dopamine receptors. But while this treatment helps to significantly reduce the symptoms of Parkinson's, it also produces a rather nasty side effect in about 17% of people who take the drug.

According to a 2010 study published the Archives of Neurology, Requip can give rise to a condition called impulse control disorder in which individuals become susceptible to such behaviors as hypersexuality, gambling, and excessive shopping.

And in the case of Didier Jambart, a 52 year-old married man with kids, when he started taking Requip in 2003, his impulse control disorder turned him into an Internet gambling addict — a habit that resulted in the loss of the family's savings, and Jambart having to resort to stealing money. By the end of this sad journey, he had lost over 82,000 euros ($106,944).

He also tried to kill himself eight times, and he became a compulsive gay sex addict. Jambart exposed himself on the Internet and started cross-dressing. He also claims that he started to engage in risky sexual encounters, including one incident that led to him being raped.

Once Jambert stopped taking Requip in 2005, his hyper-impulsivity stopped immediately — but so too did the suppression of his Parkinson's symptoms. But the damage was done — which has now been remedied in a French court (the recent 28-November ruling reaffirmed an earlier verdict).

Jambart is not the first person to sue a drug manufacturer for these side-effects. Back in 2008, Gary Charbonneau of Minneapolis won $8.2 million dollars in a similar case against Mirapex, Pfizer, and Boehringer Ingelheim. And two years ago, over a hundred patients in Australia sued Pfizer and Aspen Pharmacare over sex and gambling addictions.

Since 2006, GSK has started to put warning labels on Requip packaging — a year after Jambert's episode finally ended.

Source: AFP
http://io9.com/5965094/parkinsons-p...eatment-that-turned-him-into-a-gay-sex-addict

Wasn't he warned about the side-effects? If they warn you then you shouldn't be able to sue because you're well aware of the risks.

I can understand the hyper sexuality part as it's a side effect, but the only guy the throwing his legs over his head was him.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I don't mean to make light of suicide but

"He also tried to kill himself eight times"

If you have to try that many times I would argue you aren't really trying.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It's crazy that the medicine even made it to public consumption.. Downright criminal.

Grym

I think Radiolab did a segment on a woman who became a massive gambling addict due to this. First I've heard of the sex aspect though

EDIT - yep. "Stochasticity" episode

KHarvey16

Read the last sentence of the article:

That's not necessarily the same thing as being notified of side effects. All medication has side effects but most don't print them on warning labels on the package itself. You rely on your doctor or the documentation inside to understand them appropriately.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I can see side effects causing addictive behaviors like hyper-sexuality and gambling but the gay part? Nope. Sorry, that's all you. I guess it's easier to explain to your wife by blaming the drug rather than admitting that you might be gay or bisexual.

I don't begrudge him getting awarded damages for the drugs dangerous side effects that he wasn't warned about at all, as that is clearly not responsible pharmaceutical practice.

I can see side effects causing addictive behaviors like hyper-sexuality and gambling but the gay part? Nope. Sorry, that's all you dude. I guess it's easier to explain to your wife by blaming the drug rather than admitting that you might be gay or bisexual.

Exactly. Drug still is scary bad for 17% of people, but it didn't turn him gay. It allowed him to act on it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sounds like he was probably already bisexual/gay, its just this drug finally curbed the inhibitions that stopped him from acting on it before.

If this is actually a drug that turns people gay, then thats really freakin weird and something that science needs to jump on.

Zoe

I can see side effects causing addictive behaviors like hyper-sexuality and gambling but the gay part? Nope. Sorry, that's all you. I guess it's easier to explain to your wife by blaming the drug rather than admitting that you might be gay or bisexual.

If everything you do in life is determined by your brain chemistry, why is it so unimaginable that such a mind-altering drug could affect preference?

Sounds like he was probably already bisexual/gay, its just this drug finally curbed the inhibitions that stopped him from acting on it before.

If this is actually a drug that turns people gay, then thats really freakin weird and something that science needs to jump on.

Would be interesting how people react if they found a "cure" for homosexuality.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn

I came in here to say this. Obviously, dopamine is related to reward-based behaviors like sex and gambling, but it's not going to change sexual preferences (unless it was really that overwhelming).

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If everything you do in life is determined by your brain chemistry, why is it so unimaginable that such a mind-altering drug could affect preference?
I agree that some of the determination in how we behave is due to brain chemistry but I also believe that sexual preference has a lot to do with brain chemistry in pre-birth and very early life. I also believe development at this stage is very nearly permanent. I don't think that preference can be so easily altered (if altered at all) by drugs taken later in life. Even then AFAIK you are just manipulating what is already there and not really affecting permanent change.

In all honesty I really don't know enough neuroscience or chemistry to really comment on feasibility but what I've posted is my current belief and thoughts about the situation. The whole thing just reeks of "reprogramming" to me which has been shown to be factually and ideologically wrong as many people already thought even when it was still popular to "perform".

One is a shallow response fully backed up by the drug's side effects, and one is a deep seated change that is completely outside of them.

It's not that difficult if you think about it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Images of X-men 3 flashes in my mind. Magneto: I say we are the cure!!!!! Storm: There is nothing to cure, because there is nothing wrong with us.
Exactly what I thought as well, the whole thing had an undercurrent metaphor for homosexuality which was intended by design (i would hope). You have to believe there is something wrong to develop a cure so there really isn't an argument there at all to me.

I don't begrudge him getting awarded damages for the drugs dangerous side effects that he wasn't warned about at all, as that is clearly not responsible pharmaceutical practice.
Even if he was gay before ever taking the drug (which he obviously was and his wife is in denial), the hypersexuality is still the drug company's responsibility.

Future

One is a shallow response fully backed up by the drug's side effects, and one is a deep seated change that is completely outside of them.

It's not that difficult if you think about it.

Deep seated change in the brain though, no? I know what your getting at, but no it doesn't seem as obvious as you are trying to make it. Especially if the drug is fucking with more shit than anyone realizes

I doubt this has to do with him being gay or bisexual anyway. Gay or not, people can get sexual responses from contact with anything really. If the drug really does create some kid of hyper sexuality, it seems like he would be trying to get gratification from anyone or anything at anytime. Sexual preference wouldn't even matter anymore

Wilsongt

I say the part about the gambling is justified, but the gay sex part? It may cause hypersexualization, but I don't think it's going to cause someone to somehow become addicted to gay sex unless the impulse is already there...

God forbid other people claim it because we'd have a terrible shit storm about what causes homosexual behavior and all that jazz.

Deep seated change in the brain though, no? I know what your getting at, but no it doesn't seem as obvious as you are trying to make it. Especially if the drug is fucking with more shit than anyone realizes

I doubt this has to do with him being gay or bisexual anyway. Gay or not, people can get sexual responses from contact with anything really. If the drug really does create some kid of hyper sexuality, it seems like he would be trying to get gratification from anyone or anything at anytime. Sexual preference wouldn't even matter anymore

Pretty much what I was thinking.
His complaint about gay sex in particular could be because he's without the medication not interested in it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
God forbid other people claim it because we'd have a terrible shit storm about what causes homosexual behavior and all that jazz.
The discussion has been pretty civil so far, I don't see it going a bad way...yet.
Even if he was gay before ever taking the drug (which he obviously was and his wife is in denial), the hypersexuality is still the drug company's responsibility.
Agreed. He got involved in risky behavior because of the hypersexuality he experienced from the drug so I absolutely agree it was the pharma's responsibility since he was not warned of those potential side effects before taking it. Money doesn't cure everything but I hope his awarded damages at least help him begin to rebuild his life.

This makes alot of sense

Booties

Banned
"Oh god honey it's not what you think. It's the medicine's fault I'm masturbating to gay men while I'm dressed in fishnet stockings with a window open to my online gambling website. Really!"

Wilsongt

That is probably what it is, but the fact that he noted it was just gay sex makes it strange. Why wouldn't it just be sex with people in general?

Seanspeed

Banned
Sometimes arousal is just a biological impulse.

If that arousal causes you to become addicted to gay sex in particular, I'd say there's a bit more to it.

Not necessarily. If the sexual impulse gets large enough, it won't matter who it's with. If all that's needed is the release.

Is there some science behind this? If the sexual impulse gets large enough, you jack off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom