• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Partial) Mod support and 4K coming to Skyrim and Fallout 4 on PS4

The engine is tied to the frame rate.

People playing fallout/skyrim in 60fps are literally playing the game at 2x speed. Kinda crazy more people haven't realized this.

Man that sarcasm is spot on, you got so many of us there for a minute.

PLEASE be sarcasm

shandy706

The engine is tied to the frame rate.

People playing fallout/skyrim in 60fps are literally playing the game at 2x speed. Kinda crazy more people haven't realized this.

There's no way I've been Benny Hilling my way around Skyrim and Fallout just playing it at 60fps. I would have noticed.

Man that sarcasm is spot on, you got so many of us there for a minute.

PLEASE be sarcasm

Turns out they're right!!!! 60fps is twice as fast when you play!!

Ryzaki009

I don't really need external assets. I just wish for some "real life" mods that add the need to eat, sleep and so on to the game. Basically make skyrims world more immersive.

How are my chances?

All the ones I know add new icons (already out), new audio sounds (for the thirst/hunger/tired sounds) so it's not looking good unless you want an extremely barebones version.

daveo42

Banned
Cool PS4 is finally get mods in some fashion, though that won't be enough to get me to buy Skyrim again or go back to FO4. Sounds like Bethesda budged and created custom tools for Sony to get mod support to work. I wonder how many PC mods will be "ported" to the PS4?

Just preordered my PS4 Pro and Skyrim. As someone who has been drooling at PC Skyrim shots for years, November can't come fast enough.

And I will finally (begin to) be able to justify my purchase of a 4K HDTV. Thanks, Bethesda. You made my fall.

It's not like Bethesda didn't want to include mod support; this seems more like a full-stop compromise IMO.

The "as they should" out they gave themselves in their previous comments leads me to believe they could have always done limited mods this way since what they doing now isn't new to consoles at all. Giving you access to tools to mess around with what is already in the game is no different to what LBP does.

The "as they should" out they gave themselves in their previous comments leads me to believe they could have always done limited mods this way since what they doing now isn't new to consoles at all. Giving you access to tools to mess around with what is already in the game is no different to what LBP does.

Bingo. Bethesda's goal was to try and get the masses to target Sony and use them to get Sony to change their policies.

While there was certainly an outcry at Sony, there was also one at Bethesda for promising things before everything was finalized.

In the end, Bethesda blinked first.

Cess007

Bingo. Bethesda's goal was to try and get the masses to target Sony and use them to get Sony to change their policies.

While there was certainly an outcry at Sony, there was also one at Bethesda for promising things before everything was finalized.

In the end, Bethesda blinked first.

Sony to Bethesda: "There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us, you blinked"

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
On the one hand, yay mods

On the other hand, Sony's policy is still so unspeakably aggravating. Emphasis on unspeakably, since they won't explain a bit of it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My wife sunk about 400 hours into Skyrim on PS3, then sunk an additional 500 hours into it on our PC.

She was considering getting the PS4 version, but after the mod issue, she wasn't. This is good news, and they have a PS4 sale from us now. It sucks that our PC's video card got water accidentally spilled on it, or we'd just continue to play it on PC. I'm just glad this finally happened, no need to push a "Sony caved," or "Bethesda caved" narrative. A compromise was reached, and now PS4 players can enjoy some kind of mod support.

I'm really eager to see how Fallout and Skyrim look on my TV though. I wasn't going to get a 4KTV anytime soon, but with my 1080p set giving up the ghost, I decided fuck it. It's a gorgeous TV for 4K movies and TV so far, but I'm eager for some 4K gaming now.

Danneee

Would loot and enemies that doesn't scale to your level mods be possible?
That is the only mod that matters to me if I'm to buy this again.

Toni

There is a lot of mods that still will be game changers.

Adding more draugers to certain parts of dungeons to up the challenge will be one.

Personally, I hope the Unlimited Shouts mod and other mods that change shouts/re-work shouts, which are totally possible under this restriction, are the first ones to get added in.

Honestly, the vast majority of the mods that I have installed on Steam are in-game fixes/replacements which make the game so much better its ridiculous.

For example:

Perk overhauls
Archery/Combat/Magic overhauls
Bigger/smaller bosses with extra health
Horses run faster
More chests on the world / underwater chests
Faster lycan/vampire turning time
More blood
More followers

Are some examples that would change a lot of things for the better.

liquidtmd

Banned
There is a lot of mods that still will be game changers.

Adding more draugers to certain parts of dungeons to up the challenge will be one.

Personally, I hope the Unlimited Shouts mod and other mods that change shouts/re-work shouts, which are totally possible under this restriction, are the first ones to get added in.

Honestly, the vast majority of the mods that I have installed on Steam are in-game fixes/replacements which make the game so much better its ridiculous.

For example:

Perk overhauls
Archery/Combat/Magic overhauls
Bigger/smaller bosses with extra health
Horses run faster
More chests on the world / underwater chests
Faster lycan/vampire turning time
More blood
More followers

Are some examples that would change a lot of things for the better.

Thank you.

Certainly not detracting that it is absolutely shit we don't get external assets but all this and more will be great

Stike

Uh... since I heard there is a Skyrim VR mod, and no assets have to be changed, would that mean someone could mod PSVR support into the game? O.O

Caayn

Uhhh what do they mean by no "external assets"? Isnt that the whole point of modding?
I think that's the entire reason why Bethesda didn't want to do modding on PS4 unless they got a green light for that from Sony.

Modding without the ability to inject new assets will be rather dull. But at least it's better than nothing.
Uh... since I heard there is a Skyrim VR mod, and no assets have to be changed, would that mean someone could mod PSVR support into the game? O.O
Mods on consoles don't access system resources directly. They give a series of commands, only those allowed by Bethesda, to the game. So unless Bethesda built-in support for the PSVR, to not utilize themselves, I doubt it's possible.

MattyG

Banned
So do we have any idea if stuff like Falskaar and Wyrmstooth will be on Xbox One? Stuff like that would probably sway me away from PS4 even though PS4 is my primary platform and I want the PS4 Pro benefits.

Top Bottom