• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Passable graphics with excellent music or passable music with excellent graphics?

Music or Visuals?

• Music, it does more for a game long term than the graphics

Votes: 120 68.2%
  • Graphics, the visuals of a game is a big part of the enjoyment, bigger than the soundtrack

Votes: 56 31.8%

• Total voters
I think people's argument is average graphics is not a turn off but music is what makes a game memorable.

I can't imagine playing Mario, Sonic, FF, Skyrim, Halo, all on silent without their soundtrack. The games were good but for me personally the soundtrack elevated everything.
But try playing the games without the graphics.

Music is a luxury, graphics are a necessity. You literally can't play a game with a blank screen.

Animagic

Banned
The games I love the most that I’m so fond of have excellent music.

Graphics don’t really matter as long as you can tell what’s going on and it’s not hideous.

ZywyPL

Banned
Great music/ambient sound leave a better and much longer lasting impression than pretty graphics that already look dated a few months later.

The argument / main title of the thread is passable graphics in return for a better soundtrack.
Oh yeah, fair point.

Don't get me wrong, video game music is the goat when it comes to nostalgia-fuel but when looking at reviews, gameplay videos and such I'm looking at the graphics first (well, after gameplay of course) and I might not even notice the music when assessing a possible purchase.

Gifmaker

Music creates emotion, something that graphics cannot do to the same extent, so I voted for that. Graphics may make you buy a game, but music makes you love a game.

Last edited:

Zannegan

For me, graphics, but that's just because I'm a heathen who listens to audiobooks whenever possible while playing, so I rarely hear the music outside of big story moments.

Soodanim

Gold Member
But it is what got most folk to buy the game.

I'd have to go with graphics for this one. I do have a lot of nostalgia for a lot of the jrpgs because of the music but it is usually the graphics of the game that originally got me to even consider the game. I'd love to say music since I listen to a lot of video game music on youtube. Music without the graphics at the start is just nice music to listen to but add in the graphics of the game you have a great atmosphere to enjoy and to later on have nostalgia for when listening to the music by itself. Music simply fo the most part enhances the game.
Either choice is valid as it’s highly subjective, but personally I would love to have great music and passable graphics, because graphics are never top of the list for me - it’s gameplay first, every time.

I still listen to my favourite music from 8/16bit games, and there’s some memorable stuff from the CD audio era like MGS and Final Fantasy. But now it’s boring, forgettable music more often than not and the focus is on graphics. That’s fine for pretty screenshots and trailers that sell the game as you rightly said, but I’m not the target audience there. What’s good for business isn’t good for my taste, which is unfortunate for me.

Give me mediocre graphics but good image quality, good music, and strong gameplay.

junguler

Banned
graphics are always the least important option because it's hard to make something that doesn't look like shit 10 years later, unless it's hand drawn textures and/or low poly 3d models which never gets old imo.

Doczu

Music of course!

There's a reason why i get chills every time i hear the chiptune of The Ballad of The Windfish and it's not the pixels on my screen

Gediminas

Banned
graphics, 100%. that is not even a question. people just to stupid realize that. i am sorry, but this is true.

graphics - lighting, textures, DoF, AO, particles, bloom and so on creates believable worlds, levels, immersion into world and so on, you never ever would get that with music, that is stupid.

we could potential argue about Sound Design, but music, nah man, it is one of the last places which adds anything to the game.(unless it is actual Music game)

IKSTUGA

Excellent music can really carry a game and even elevate it to new heights.

Last edited:
Music creates a more lasting impression I feel as it’s the easiest thing for the mind to recall. You’re brain can’t completely recreate a scene but a musical tune that’s good or catchy is easy to have pop into your head and bring you back to a memorable experience.

When Resident Evil 2 remake first came out I only got the standard edition because I didn’t think I needed the extra stuff. Then I started playing it, and realized there was something really important missing: the fucking music.

RE2make has like no music. I did one play through before I caved and bought the deluxe pack because I needed that sweet sweet RE2 OST. It’s pretty shitty they kept it locked behind a paywall but I guess they fucking got me with it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Can't vote.

NahaNago

Either choice is valid as it’s highly subjective, but personally I would love to have great music and passable graphics, because graphics are never top of the list for me - it’s gameplay first, every time.

I still listen to my favourite music from 8/16bit games, and there’s some memorable stuff from the CD audio era like MGS and Final Fantasy. But now it’s boring, forgettable music more often than not and the focus is on graphics. That’s fine for pretty screenshots and trailers that sell the game as you rightly said, but I’m not the target audience there. What’s good for business isn’t good for my taste, which is unfortunate for me.

Give me mediocre graphics but good image quality, good music, and strong gameplay.
I think the issue with music nowadays is more that they are going the hollywood route and making it specifically for a scene versus how in older games it was for a location and sometimes a sad moment. This issue with older versus the new stuff also applies to movies for the most part. I think the only modern music from movies I know is the wonder woman theme song. I'm fairly easy to please so passable graphics and great music is okay for me as well but I understand that isn't going to sell tons of copies. With that said if the game only has passable graphics you need something excellent to counter that.

I asked myself this: have I ever stopped playing a game due to unsatisfactory music? No. Have I ever stopped playing a game due to unsatisfactory visuals? Absolutely.

kuncol02

Banned
But try playing the games without the graphics.

Music is a luxury, graphics are a necessity. You literally can't play a game with a blank screen.
Do you know there are games designed in way that allow even blind people to play them?
There are whole genres of games that don't require graphics at all, like interactive fiction games (Zork).

Kuranghi

Most of the games I love the music of have simpler/stylised graphics, like Abzu and Shadow of the Colossus for example. In fact I'm not sure any of the games I've played that aim for cutting edge graphics have music as good as the former two examples.

In fact, sidescrollers (and I can think of none that aim for realistic or cutting edge graphics) usually have amazing music, and I'm guessing its because there is more pressure on other aspects of the presenatation to convey meaning/feeling because the camera can't be as dynamic as it is in a 3D game.

Actually, maybe RDR 1 is an example of having both. I'm sure there are other games I'm forgetting though (I'm on drugs because I've got vertigo, I can't think straight right now)

edit - Maybe its even the case that since music can fill up all your senses that simpler graphics are actually better to go along with it, if the graphics were stunning AND them music was ultra beautiful it would actually be a bit too much and you couldn't appreciate either fully.

Last edited:
Do you have any examples?
Yes! I'm a big fan of Yakuza 0. One of the best games I played over the last couple of years. So I was very excited to pickup Yakuza Kiwami 2 in the recent steam sale. Fired it up and ..urgh..the aliasing gave me a headache! It's horrible! I tried to power through, tried injecting various AA via Nvidia control panel, reshade...nothing worked. Even at bloody 4k the shimmering was visible! Sadly, I refunded.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Im an amateur audiophile, DACs, Amps, crazy headphones and other HD music streaming systems all over my house. But I would say graphics. If I want super high end music Ill listen to a great album.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
ABSOLUTELY!!! for me novelty of shiny graphics only lasts 2 or 3 days but music stays through out and even long after I finish the game.

Music, by far.

There have been a number of games for which I've bought soundtracks, which I still listen to -- long after I've stopped playing the game itself.

RetroAV

Obviously, I'd rather have both, but if I had to pick one it'd be excellent music. I don't think I would have played, let alone beat a game like Hotline Miami if it wasn't for that soundtrack!

Soodanim

Gold Member
Yes! I'm a big fan of Yakuza 0. One of the best games I played over the last couple of years. So I was very excited to pickup Yakuza Kiwami 2 in the recent steam sale. Fired it up and ..urgh..the aliasing gave me a headache! It's horrible! I tried to power through, tried injecting various AA via Nvidia control panel, reshade...nothing worked. Even at bloody 4k the shimmering was visible! Sadly, I refunded.
That’s such a shame. Especially on PC, where half the point is being able to fine tune it to get good image quality. I can relate to not liking aliasing, it’s awful.

Personally I don’t see image quality as part of graphics, I see them as separate but still part of the larger umbrella of visuals. I know not everyone will see it like that. I see graphics as the things the graphic designers and artists contribute to a game, like art style, textures, meshes and lighting. Personally, I throw resolution and all post processing under the heading “Image quality”. Stuff that you can crank up as you see fit, if that makes sense. (I know textures have different quality settings too, but I hope I explained it well enough.)

I wonder how people’s different interpretations of what graphics are affect the answer to the poll.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Vampire Hunter D on the PSX looks rough as hell, plays somewhat rough too but the OST is fantastic. One of the best things from the game. Super underrated game. Totally playable once you get the controls down. Relatively short too, can be finished in under 5 hours. Even a first time playthrough won't take you that long.

Music is more important to me and it ages much better. But some graphics are atemporal too. Heroes of Might and Magic II, for example, still have awesome graphics and music:

great thread, definitely music for me, a great soundtrack really has an impact on the experience. same with cinema, the soundtrack can add that 'timeless' quality to a film.

That’s such a shame. Especially on PC, where half the point is being able to fine tune it to get good image quality. I can relate to not liking aliasing, it’s awful.

Personally I don’t see image quality as part of graphics, I see them as separate but still part of the larger umbrella of visuals. I know not everyone will see it like that. I see graphics as the things the graphic designers and artists contribute to a game, like art style, textures, meshes and lighting. Personally, I throw resolution and all post processing under the heading “Image quality”. Stuff that you can crank up as you see fit, if that makes sense. (I know textures have different quality settings too, but I hope I explained it well enough.)

I wonder how people’s different interpretations of what graphics are affect the answer to the poll.
You have a point. For me at least, the term "graphics" or "visuals" are broad terms which encompass everything you can see on the screen. It's the combined effect of art style, lighting, shadows, model detail, image quality, animations... everything.

Top Bottom